Power cut when using palm take off and gestures mode in NFS
2563 31 2017-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

Why DJI not mention Power cut may happen using palm take off and gestures mode in NFZ (Hong Kong) ?

Today I using Palm take off and hover the Spark at about 4-5feet height and within 10feet in front of me. At that time it was flying in OPTI mode, several minutes later it changed to GPS mode and the Spark lost power and "drop" on the ground (battery was still half full and I can power up afterwards).... I bought it back to DJI store and the staff said that emergecy power cut may happen when flying in NFZ even using gesture mode and Palm control.

Why didn't DJI mention this result ? Most of us knew that auto land will happen but not power cut !

So... people should beware !
2017-7-1
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is that because all of Hong Kong is under a "No Fly" advisory till July 1st?
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

I think yes but it should power off our drone instead of auto land ? I can palm take off my Spark without doing any tricks !
2017-7-1
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-1 03:38
I think yes but it should power off our drone instead of auto land ? I can palm take off my Spark without doing any tricks !

Yeah the powering off has me a bit perplexed.
2017-7-1
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Can’t believe this... normally it should descend until it is on the ground.
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think this might be more to do with VPS than NFZ, was VPS turned on? In NFZ your AC will not just drop out of the sky, worst thing to happen is land, also I'm not sure if it would allow take off without warning to you of NFZ area.
2017-7-1
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 04:16
I think this might be more to do with VPS than NFZ, was VPS turned on? In NFZ your AC will not just drop out of the sky, worst thing to happen is land, also I'm not sure if it would allow take off without warning to you of NFZ area.

You can't turn VPS off on the spark ^^
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-1 04:24
You can't turn VPS off on the spark ^^

Well then it must be on so....

Just remember yellow flashing lights No gps No vision system...
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 05:00
Well then it must be on so....

Just remember yellow flashing lights No gps No vision system...

Front red back green flash slowly on gesture mode. OPTI mode on screen means VPS working
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 04:16

I wait about 10mins still got 4 sat and no GPS mode. I check OPTI mode working so I use palm take off. No issues just hover on the air steady about 4-5 feet, tried gesture mode and working perfectly. At that mention, perhaps it grain enough GPS and change to GPS mode then suddenly no light and drop on the ground, power was off.
PS: OPTI mode means VPS working as I know.
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-1 03:58
Yeah the powering off has me a bit perplexed.

DJI did not mention power cut off feature in the manual or documents !
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-1 05:36
I wait about 10mins still got 4 sat and no GPS mode. I check OPTI mode working so I use palm take off. No issues just hover on the air steady about 4-5 feet, tried gesture mode and working perfectly. At that mention, perhaps it grain enough GPS and change to GPS mode then suddenly no light and drop on the ground, power was off.
PS: OPTI mode means VPS working as I know.

I'm just wondering was it with controls you were trying to launch from your hand, or were you using RC and trying to do a palm launch by pressing power button twice, because it does take a bit of time to get IMU warmed up gps lock etc , whether all of this had something to do with it. Because first in NFZ your AC will not just drop, also you have to unblock NFZ , before you can fly in one, you could always upload your flight log and it might tell us more.

Yes VPS would be on with opti mode what kind of surface was under craft was there plenty of texture..
2017-7-1
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

How does one come to the conclusion that the power cut has been attributed to the NFZ?

Is that speculation or a stated fact (in which case I have seen no evidence - libel?), or simply a question from the OP?

I'd really like to see some evidence from the OP (has anyone else in HK experienced the same symptoms - i.e. falling out of the sky?
2017-7-1
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-1 05:50
How does one come to the conclusion that the power cut has been attributed to the NFZ?

Is that speculation or a stated fact (in which case I have seen no evidence - libel?), or simply a question from the OP?

The  OP stated, I bought it back to DJI store and the staff said that emergecy power cut may happen when flying in NFZ even using gesture mode and Palm control.
2017-7-1
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-1 05:53
The  OP stated, I bought it back to DJI store and the staff said that emergecy power cut may happen when flying in NFZ even using gesture mode and Palm control.

Which is a very strange behavior to program into the aircraft, given the fact that a falling drone may cause personal/property damage, which exposes users to liability.

I'm also very surprised (and frankly, concerned) if DJI did not flash an advisory in DJI Go for users trying to take off in the NFZ about the risks/behaviors.
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-1 05:53

Yes this make me felt sick and shock as I haven't heard before ! I have no more confidence fly with this drone as I don't know how many hidden self destructive mode it has !
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-1 06:00
Which is a very strange behavior to program into the aircraft, given the fact that a falling drone may cause personal/property damage, which exposes users to liability.

I'm also very surprised (and frankly, concerned) if DJI did not flash an advisory in DJI Go for users trying to take off in the NFZ about the risks/behaviors.

Dji don't need to do a flash advisory because what happened to OP's aircraft had nothing to do with the way it is programmed for NFZ zones. First NFZ need to be unblocked by pilot,

The OP could help the clear this up by either putting up log or having his craft checked by dji, but for those who want to believe that this happened because of NFZ then let them show us proof .

There are some very peculiar things that happened in this flight , outdoors waiting 10 minutes for gps  taking off in opti mode palm launch, I think it's these peculiarities that may well be responsible for this problem.
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-1 06:06
Yes this make me felt sick and shock as I haven't heard before ! I have no more confidence fly with this drone as I don't know how many hidden self destructive mode it has !

It's strange that someone would wait 10 minutes for gps then decide to take off palm launch in opti mode.

You could help by putting up logs.
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

I will bring my Spark to DJI once more to have data analysis (today booking was full) and hope I can get i a clear report.

Firstly, I issue this post because I just been alerted that users flying in NFZ "may" cause your drone being power cut off.
Second, I do not receive any warning until it drop down and GPS mode activated. I just only know some region was NFZ but not the whole city. I can use palm take off and gesture control without doing any tricks.
Third, If the result was not related to the NFZ. It would be more serious case as it contain serious bug causing power cut off during flying.

Hope all users can have safe flight.
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-1 05:50

After the accident I went to DJI store immediately, two support listened my story and said it may related to the NFZ as for some reason it would activate the "emergency power cut off" states. But finally result need me bring back the Spark tomorrow to have data analysis (today booking was full).

I had asked them several times and concerns of the "emergency power cut off" and they said yes it may happen when flying or flying through the NFZ for the reason they also don't know.

I just only use palm take off and gesture mode today for testing, RC was always connected to monitor the status of the drone, OPTI mode first and when it dropped down I notice that the mode was changed to GPS and at that time NFZ alert was prompted (I received no NFZ warning before the Spark dropped down).

If it was not related to the NFZ then may be serious bugs was waked up causing the Spark power cut off during flying. As I know no status or conditional will cause power cut off of the Spark through RC or smartphone apps.

Thanks
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 06:36
It's strange that someone would wait 10 minutes for gps then decide to take off palm launch in opti mode.

You could help by putting up logs.

Actually Palm take off and gesture mode can do any time without GPS. On the other side I usally wait for GPS collect enough before each flight, if not I will check VPS if OK I will take off my drone. Even ATTI mode was fine to me with other bigger drones.
I wil take the Spark to DJI tomorrow to have data anaylsis. Hope I can have a clear report from them.
2017-7-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Herro prease, you in no-fry zone.
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-7-1 06:56
Herro prease, you in no-fry zone.

The point I concern was the power cut off during flight. Of course I would not fly even gesture control next time when temporary NFZ was raised. It let me palm take off but shot me down afterwards, without warning !
2017-7-1
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-1 06:40
I will bring my Spark to DJI once more to have data analysis (today booking was full) and hope I can get i a clear report.

Firstly, I issue this post because I just been alerted that users flying in NFZ "may" cause your drone being power cut off.

Fair enough. You were told this by a DJI representative in a store. I've been around DJI long enough to know that they have staff that sometimes say stuff that contradicts an actual document or other staff, but that's how it is - it happens.

I'd love to see how this one turns out. I, for one, am definitely concerned if DJI Go checks allow me to fly, then decide to pull the rug from under me.
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-1 06:58
Actually Palm take off and gesture mode can do any time without GPS. On the other side I usally wait for GPS collect enough before each flight, if not I will check VPS if OK I will take off my drone. Even ATTI mode was fine to me with other bigger drones.
I wil take the Spark to DJI tomorrow to have data anaylsis. Hope I can have a clear report from them.

I understand VPS works fine with opti mode, but in some of your posts you say you waited 10 minutes to get gps and other post you say your craft dropped with 50% battery, there is an anomaly there.

Also the information you got regarding NFZ zones is not correct. You also need permission to fly in NFZ zone, you make no mention of being warned that you were in a NFZ zone.

I think if you put your log up it might help others to understand what happened, but that's up to you, you can also sync your flight to dji cloud and they will tell you what happened and why your aircraft suddenly dropped.
Just one note when craft dropped if it turned over this will automatically cut power.
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 07:13
I understand VPS works fine with opti mode, but in some of your posts you say you waited 10 minutes to get gps and other post you say your craft dropped with 50% battery, there is an anomaly there.

Also the information you got regarding NFZ zones is not correct. You also need permission to fly in NFZ zone, you make no mention of being warned that you were in a NFZ zone.

Yes no warning before drop, warning only prompt after dropped and I found that GPS mode was activate.
I use palm take off in OPTI mode without issues and did not done any tricks to take it off ! It was true that many people using palm take off and gesture control in NFS without issues if no GPS.

May be Im bad luck that it changed to GPS mode during the flight and recognised that it was in NFZ and "may be" this reason it cut the power.
For the 10mins wait for GPS yes I had wait for about 10mins but had power on and power off to search for better places but no result, still only 4-6 data can received.
2017-7-1
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-1 07:13
Fair enough. You were told this by a DJI representative in a store. I've been around DJI long enough to know that they have staff that sometimes say stuff that contradicts an actual document or other staff, but that's how it is - it happens.

I'd love to see how this one turns out. I, for one, am definitely concerned if DJI Go checks allow me to fly, then decide to pull the rug from under me.

I searched for the other DJI forums this power cut issue happened frequent these days in China as temporary NFZ was raised as Hong Kong for the return to China event. Same as they use palm take off and have power cut off issue afterwards.
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-1 07:55
Yes no warning before drop, warning only prompt after dropped and I found that GPS mode was activate.
I use palm take off in OPTI mode without issues and did not done any tricks to take it off ! It was true that many people using palm take off and gesture control in NFS without issues if no GPS.

I didn't mean warning before craft dropped I meant when you started up your aircraft. It looks like your not going to put up your log , so having brought up the subject you are not going to try to confirm , so no need to continue this debate.
2017-7-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-1 06:54
After the accident I went to DJI store immediately, two support listened my story and said it may related to the NFZ as for some reason it would activate the "emergency power cut off" states. But finally result need me bring back the Spark tomorrow to have data analysis (today booking was full).

I had asked them several times and concerns of the "emergency power cut off" and they said yes it may happen when flying or flying through the NFZ for the reason they also don't know.

After confirming with our engineer, flying  through NFZ will not cause the power to be cut off. May I know who told you that it may relate to NFZ? The after-sales support or the salesperson? I'm really sorry for the misleading. Please wait patiently for the data analysis, we will get this figured out.
2017-7-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-1 06:54

Would you please tell us the exact time it happened which is helpful for us to locate where the problem exists, thank you very much in advance!
2017-7-4
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-4 18:33
Would you please tell us the exact time it happened which is helpful for us to locate where the problem exists, thank you very much in advance!

Its around on 1 July2017 at 3:40pm to 4:15pm Hong Kong time.

Thanks in advance
2017-7-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-4 18:54
Its around on 1 July2017 at 3:40pm to 4:15pm Hong Kong time.

Thanks in advance

Appreciate the info, will analyze the data soon and let you know the result, thank for your patience!
2017-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules