12Next >
2872 45 2017-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
onefourten
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18330 ft
United Kingdom

So, I'm still waiting for some movement on my Spark FlyMore order.... I check the DJI Store App every day to see if it's changed status....hint: it hasn't

...all this time is not doing me any favours. I keep reading terrible things about the transmision, WiFi, range, 2.4/5Ghz, video drop outs etc etc... I've seen the 'max range with a spark' videos on YouTube and they're all pretty much line of sight, over flat land or water. I'm in the UK so I'm even more restricted due to WiFi power output laws...
Can I fly it and then return it after a flight? Does it have to be activated in order to fly?

I'm strongly considering cancelling the order and getting a Mavic instead.

Someone help me!

2017-7-1
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

It sounds like you've already made up your mind and want the Mavic.  I have both the Mavic and the Spark.  They each have their own purpose for me.  I like the Spark for quick shots and its portability.  The Mavic is quite portable too but the Spark I just pull out of the bag, turn it on and I'm ready to take some quick pics/video.  The Mavic takes a little bit of setup with unfolding the arms and setting up the remote.  It can do more than the Spark with longer flight time, longer distance, better quality photo's and video.  It all depends on what you plan to do as to which drone is better for you.  Since you are already questioning the distance of the Spark I would suggest you go with the Mavic if the price difference doesn't bother you.  You'll be getting a drone that has more potential.
2017-7-1
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

The Mavic is a real drone.  The Spark is a toy.  Spend the extra and get the Mavic.
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

anthonyb Posted at 2017-7-1 13:56
The Mavic is a real drone.  The Spark is a toy.  Spend the extra and get the Mavic.

I don't know why you would say Spark is not a drone but a toy, it flys just like the Mavic uses gps can fly as high not as far or as long, but doesn't mean it's not a drone, it's like saying inspire is a drone but Mavic is a toy or MATRICE 600 is a proper drone but Mavic is a toy.

Spark is a great piece of kit, it's half the price of the Mavic half the weight of the Mavic , has many features the Mavic doesn't have, has a camera with same amount pixels as the Mavic , it's much less intrusive than the Mavic . So not a toy but a drone not as high spec as the Mavic which is not as high specked as the p4pro or inspire or MATRICE , but is still a drone. Simple as that.
2017-7-1
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

@hallmark007 That's a great speech, but even you must admit that this thing (Spark) has a LOT of issues.  Especially since it's being marketed as an entry level platform.  My god, they depict someone flying this thing as they're hanging from a freaking cliff.  This forum is full of threads where users can't even connect to the device.  Let along use the Jedi (gesture) features on a consistent basis.

WIFI has been around for quite some time.  I have at least 6 apps on my iPhone that connect to other WIFI devices flawlessly, GoPro Capture, HP Print, RunCam connect & Connex Pro-sight connect just to name a few.

Toy?...no.  A borderline failure in technology?...temporarily.  An entry level "story telling" device?...not in its current state.
2017-7-1
Use props
Jack_Sweeney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 634692 ft
United States

Dude if u have the money for a mavic go for it as long as u don't care about gesture controls or stay with the spark the kinks will be ironed out with updates eventually. Good luck with your decision!
2017-7-1
Use props
FluxSine
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65157 ft
United States

I have a spark and haven't had an issue with it yet. Read the manual, update the firmware and been solid. Sport mode is insane for fun, and with your distance laws why buy a mavic that you can't even fully utilize? I would have called the mavic a toy when it first came out and the issues it had as well. They'll work them out. I have a mavic at work and it's nice but I didn't want to buy a mavic and then have the mavic 2 announced this November... I'll buy the mavic 2 as well, but for now the spark is a blast.
2017-7-1
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 14:29
I don't know why you would say Spark is not a drone but a toy, it flys just like the Mavic uses gps can fly as high not as far or as long, but doesn't mean it's not a drone, it's like saying inspire is a drone but Mavic is a toy or MATRICE 600 is a proper drone but Mavic is a toy.

Spark is a great piece of kit, it's half the price of the Mavic half the weight of the Mavic , has many features the Mavic doesn't have, has a camera with same amount pixels as the Mavic , it's much less intrusive than the Mavic . So not a toy but a drone not as high spec as the Mavic which is not as high specked as the p4pro or inspire or MATRICE , but is still a drone. Simple as that.

In my opinion if it can't be used to shoot professional looking video then it's a toy.  
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

anthonyb Posted at 2017-7-1 19:34
In my opinion if it can't be used to shoot professional looking video then it's a toy.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-7-1
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 21:04
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=102519&fromuid=260008

I hate clicking links with no description, cos the poster is just being lazy.  So I clicked it anyway.  And, what a surprise, nothing to do with what I wrote.  "video".
2017-7-1
Use props
FluxSine
lvl.2
United States

Here is some video showcasing dji spark. Looks good to me....
https://youtu.be/YCTJJ5JiTzE
2017-7-1
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

FluxSine Posted at 2017-7-1 21:41
Here is some video showcasing dji spark. Looks good to me....
https://youtu.be/YCTJJ5JiTzE

It doesn't do 4k.  As I said, it cannot produce professional quality video.
2017-7-1
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dude, I live in Sheffield in the UK and already have a P4P and have flown it insane distances, been to some gorgeous lake destinations and fly locally round my area. Distance has never been an issue as I plan where I go and never just whack it up in the air on a whim. I can see where you are coming from though as laws and rules change. I am buying my Spark for the holidays abroad as its more portable than my P4P and ideal for what I want it for. Balance what, where and how you are going to use it and make your decision. Forums are good but do you really need a Mavic or will the Spark tick the boxes for what you will use it for. The UK is not a massive problem at all. I started with the P3S and have never had any issues all the way to flying now. Sure there are some kinks which need to ironed out but hey, its a new product and in an ideal world they would release it perfect......Never going to happen my friend.
2017-7-1
Use props
RheuIP4ZnNAT
New
Flight distance : 180705 ft
Australia

interesting reading here gents so its either a toy or professional no in between ? and it has to be 4k to be professional ?  well I disagree on both counts I know a lot of professionals that do not show in 4k in fact they use 1080 for a bucket load of reasons. The Spark may not be the choice of professionals but it does not make it a Toy. it is simply another tool people can use for Photography or for the fun of flying .IM(NOT SO) HO. Or has the drone fraternity succumbed to snobbery?
2017-7-1
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

RheuIP4ZnNAT Posted at 2017-7-1 22:32
interesting reading here gents so its either a toy or professional no in between ? and it has to be 4k to be professional ?  well I disagree on both counts I know a lot of professionals that do not show in 4k in fact they use 1080 for a bucket load of reasons. The Spark may not be the choice of professionals but it does not make it a Toy. it is simply another tool people can use for Photography or for the fun of flying .IM(NOT SO) HO. Or has the drone fraternity succumbed to snobbery?

In my view it's a toy.  
2017-7-1
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

So...these days,if a camera "doesn't do 4k..cannot produce professional quality video",then it is a toy.what a funny statement.then if in the future,when we have 8K, 16K, 32K or 64K...then all your 4K "professional work" now would be consider as "toy"?
I think it is not the right way to judge the art by the technology.
2017-7-1
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-1 22:55
So...these days,if a camera "doesn't do 4k..cannot produce professional quality video",then it is a toy.what a funny statement.then if in the future,when we have 8K, 16K, 32K or 64K...then all your 4K "professional work" now would be consider as "toy"?
I think it is not the right way to judge the art by the technology.

I love forums.  I keep saying in my view.  I'm allowed my opinion.  I've tried the Spark.  In my view it's a toy, a stocking filler.  A chance for DJI to tap another segment of the market.
2017-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

anthonyb Posted at 2017-7-1 21:18
I hate clicking links with no description, cos the poster is just being lazy.  So I clicked it anyway.  And, what a surprise, nothing to do with what I wrote.  "video".

If you want professional video you need inspire2 not Mavic .maybe you will send me a link of your professional video.
2017-7-1
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-1 23:37
If you want professional video you need inspire2 not Mavic .maybe you will send me a link of your professional video.

Actually it's being edited right now and that's 95% of the process but I will send it as soon as it's ready.
2017-7-2
Use props
evilsoya
lvl.2
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-7-2 00:16
Actually it's being edited right now and that's 95% of the process but I will send it as soon as it's ready.

Toy or not, you won't find any drone of this size with such great video/build quality and functionalities at this price point. PERIOD.
2017-7-2
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I agree. Go cancel your order. Buy Mavic. Spark is for fun. It is best drone ever for fun. Reliable, safe reasonable height and distance capable and good quality for picture and filming at resonable price. I bought 3 of them myself. For fly high and fly far mission, I have 2 Mavics 2 Phantom 4 and an Inspire 2.
2017-7-2
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

evilsoya Posted at 2017-7-2 00:38
Toy or not, you won't find any drone of this size with such great video/build quality and functionalities at this price point. PERIOD.

I agree but the OP has the option to trade up to a Mavic and if he can afford it then he should.
2017-7-2
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

evilsoya Posted at 2017-7-2 00:38

I agree...somewhat.  All that functionality does come at a premium price.
2017-7-2
Use props
onefourten
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18330 ft
United Kingdom

I really appreciate all this feedback guys. I know it's an emotive subject and there is a serious mix of people who use these forums. From first time owners to guys above here who have like 5+ different quads. Video is one aspect for me but I'm actually a Photographer at heart. Serious amateur bordering on professional....squeezing the best out of my shots by editing RAW files in Lightroom is something I'm used to.

I suspect I'm going to get more mileage from a Mavic in the longer term...also possibly hit the limit of what the Spark is capable of fairly quickly.

We're all very fortunate to be able to buy and fly these things...and I know this does seem like a very 'first world problem' sort of question, so please forgive me!

Thanks again for the feedback guys.
2017-7-2
Use props
Doobry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394800 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UK here too.. I really wanted a mavic and would have probably bought one if they'd launched a new one at the May event.. However, I am glad I got the spark instead as it gives me a much cheaper device to learn and make mistakes on;)  So when they do launch a mavic 2, I will buy that and the spark will be a travel toy.. It's good fun and if you can find somewhere good to fly it, then you can get some great footage. The hand launch and recovery of the spark is amazing.. Not sure if you can do that with the mavic. I hope if not they add it to the mavic 2!

2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I'm sorry but one should not expect Mavic performance at Spark prices. All of DJI's UAVs are targeted at different use cases and practically build around those specific scenarios. The Spark is good at what it was built for, and so is the Mavic, and the Inspire.

As a great book once explained, the answer is 42. Perhaps some people fail to understand the question they are asking

I know professional photographers who shoot with an iPhone (whose work have been showcased in galleries and exhibitions around the world), and I know amateurs who shoot Hasselblads, Phase One, and RED cameras. While the tool is important, it's the eye behind the camera that matters more. Google Miroslav Tichy and tell me how professional his gear is. If one measures a professional by his gear, then HCB, Robert Capa and Ansel Adams would be considered amateurs today. Philip Grossman, who did extensive coverage of Chernobyl in the last few years used most of DJI's lines, all he way down to the Mavic, for his work, which is nothing but professional.

Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones who haven't had issues with the Spark. It's worked fine for me, and I liked it enough to buy 2. Keep in mind that you're in a DJI Support forum - this is where people come to complain or find solutions to problems they are experiencing with their purchase, which may or may not be a fault with the product itself (how many people admit to user error?). This forum is not indicative of the holistic success of the product, is it?

2017-7-2
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

Concept all went wrong, kids !

1) 4k was not a guide line of professional grade. Professional grade of video was not depends on resolution.
2) Spark was toy level but not a toy. Kid was not recommended to play with it.
3) Even Mavic cannot produce professional grade video.
4) Spark should not compare with Mavic as their features and purpose all different. Can Mavic do simple Palm take off/ land ? Can Mavic do gestures control ? Can Spark fly beyond 3km? Can Spark do 4k videos..... ?

Simple answer:  You want Spark buy Spark, You want Mavic then buy Mavic. No one can give you simple decision, only you can. If you cannot make decision, then buy Cheerson CX-10 and enjoy !
2017-7-2
Use props
mzak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12270 ft
Singapore

There is often a lot of argument over whether the Spark is a "toy"...But to be honest, it's about what fits your needs.

I'm a photography enthusiast too - if money is not an issue, I would definitely go for the Mavic over the Spark. Even though they produce photos of comparable resolution, the Mavic offers RAW photos and the Spark doesn't. The extra range that the Mavic offers (with the remote) also expands the perspectives I have to capture my photos. However, portability and convenience also rank high on my list. I need a package that is as small as possible, and the convenience of charging via a powerbank on the road. Buying extra batteries is one thing but carrying them around is another. The Spark is mainly for use on my travels, and my backpack only has so much space for a DSLR + drone + other essentials. Also I usually travel on a budget and will spend long hours on foot, as such I try to minimise the footprint and weight of my gear. Taking these factors into consideration, the best option for me would be the Spark, even if I could afford the Mavic.

Of course, the way I use my drone would be very different from how everyone else - if you're travelling around mainly in a car and the amount of gear is not a concern, heck, you could even bring an Inspire everywhere.
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

mzak Posted at 2017-7-2 04:16
There is often a lot of argument over whether the Spark is a "toy"...But to be honest, it's about what fits your needs.

I'm a photography enthusiast too - if money is not an issue, I would definitely go for the Mavic over the Spark. Even though they produce photos of comparable resolution, the Mavic offers RAW photos and the Spark doesn't. The extra range that the Mavic offers (with the remote) also expands the perspectives I have to capture my photos. However, portability and convenience also rank high on my list. I need a package that is as small as possible, and the convenience of charging via a powerbank on the road. Buying extra batteries is one thing but carrying them around is another. The Spark is mainly for use on my travels, and my backpack only has so much space for a DSLR + drone + other essentials. Also I usually travel on a budget and will spend long hours on foot, as such I try to minimise the footprint and weight of my gear. Taking these factors into consideration, the best option for me would be the Spark, even if I could afford the Mavic.

An Inspire can be a bit of a PITA to haul around.

it's great if you have a shoot planned, but if I was on a road trip and making frequent random stops, heck, i'd pull the Spark out, and if I wanted 4k and RAW files, then the Mavic.
2017-7-2
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-2 04:35
An Inspire can be a bit of a PITA to haul around.

it's great if you have a shoot planned, but if I was on a road trip and making frequent random stops, heck, i'd pull the Spark out, and if I wanted 4k and RAW files, then the Mavic.

100% agree...The only time I use my I2 is when I have a dedicated shoot planned.
2017-7-2
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I use the Spark for real estate photos.  It's easier and quicker than my P4.  If I shot 4K, MLS and my tour company would only reduce the resolution.  As for RAW, if I shoot RAW, I have to spend time in post to make my pics slightly better.  Time is money.  I would have to charge more for the post time.  I would not be competitive.  So for me, Spark is a very useful, professional tool.
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Okay, to be this back on track - @onefourten : you need to think about how you plan to use your drone, and then it becomes easier to offer a recommendation.

If you plan to take photos and videos for fun
mostly share it on social media/web,
have a limited budget,
want something that iis easy to get up and flying without the need for a smartphone or remote control
Then the Spark is the way to go.

If you have a bit more money to spend
expect better quality photos/videos
need RAW files with latitude that you can edit in Photoshop/Lightroom
don't need the ease/convenience of being able to launch and control the drone with gestures
may fly the drone in more windy conditions
need more flight time
have more experience shooting cinematic scenes
Then get a Mavic
2017-7-2
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I have both the Mavic and the Spark and am in the UK like your self so also am effected by the WiFi limitations here.

Honestly I would say cancel your order and get the Mavic... its currently £100 off on Amazon selling for £999 plus you can return it in 30 days for any reason, your not going to get service like that anywhere else. For the extra £300 the Mavic is worth it.

http://amzn.to/2uy3bCX

I brought the spark as a second drone as I had the Mavic for a few months and felt like a new drone  to play with, the Spark is a great drone however for me it is a great 'second drone'

If your only planning on only buying 1 expensive drone for the time being, I would go for the Mavic £100 discounted on Amazon : http://amzn.to/2uy3bCX
The other benefit is youll get the Mavic delievered tomorrow with Amazon, i had to wait several weeks with DJI and only wish i purchased on Amazon as it was cheaper at the time, i just didnt shop around
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Bradders Posted at 2017-7-2 05:13
I have both the Mavic and the Spark and am in the UK like your self so also am effected by the WiFi limitations here.

Honestly I would say cancel your order and get the Mavic... its currently £100 off on Amazon selling for £999 plus you can return it in 30 days for any reason, your not going to get service like that anywhere else. For the extra £300 the Mavic is worth it.

oooh, an affiliate link. hope you get some nice props from a couple of buyers!

But yeah, for a bit more money, it makes sense to get a Mavic if it suits your needs better!
2017-7-2
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-2 05:35
oooh, an affiliate link. hope you get some nice props from a couple of buyers!

But yeah, for a bit more money, it makes sense to get a Mavic if it suits your needs better!

Well it is £100 cheaper on Amazon so I might aswell post the link here so he sees it, wish I knew when I ordered mine!
I allready have an affiliate account so might as well post the link here as it is a helpfull post so cant see any harm in it... think they are allowed ?
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Bradders Posted at 2017-7-2 05:47
Well it is £100 cheaper on Amazon so I might aswell post the link here so he sees it, wish I knew when I ordered mine!

A 100 quid does buy a couple of nice accessories! I'd go with batteries, if you bought the Fly More Combo
2017-7-2
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-2 05:51
A 100 quid does buy a couple of nice accessories! I'd go with batteries, if you bought the Fly More Combo

Agree with that, another mistake I made was not buying the combo to only go and buy 2 extra batteries later haha
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Bradders Posted at 2017-7-2 05:52
Agree with that, another mistake I made was not buying the combo to only go and buy 2 extra batteries later haha

The RC is rather useful, the charging hub is a godsend, and the prop guards give me a little bit more peace of mind. Also, the extra set of props is a very nice thing to have, which I discovered after failing to use prop guards and the Spark decided to suddenly descend to the ground from a PalmLaunch (my fault, I was holding on, should have let it sit flat on my palm)
2017-7-2
Use props
Doobry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394800 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-2 06:01
The RC is rather useful, the charging hub is a godsend, and the prop guards give me a little bit more peace of mind. Also, the extra set of props is a very nice thing to have, which I discovered after failing to use prop guards and the Spark decided to suddenly descend to the ground from a PalmLaunch (my fault, I was holding on, should have let it sit flat on my palm)

I think he was referring to the mavic flymore :-)
2017-7-2
Use props
FluxSine
lvl.2
United States

I get what Anthony is saying my stance on professional is footage you'd see in a motion picture. You probably won't see a spark used for silky smooth scenes ina motion picture but i bet we might see it used for a fpv view, maybe even home alone type prank. But for individuals doing photography, a local city/college event, real estate, weddings, blogging, etc.. In my opinion it will work fine, even excel. But for a movie set production from Hollywood yeah use the inspire 2, red camera, dollys, etc.. that's a professional environment.
2017-7-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules