Satelite Predictor
2018 15 2015-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Anyone know why this site is no longer working ?

http://164.121.248.196/index.pl? ... ctor.navcomtech.com

2015-3-17
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ok guys Thought I would share this website with you all :

http://www.trimble.com/gnssplanningonline/#/NumSats

Seems to be very reliable and is easy to understand and visualise.  Also from a reputable manufacturer of surveying equipment " Trimble"

Hope it helps
2015-3-26
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Doesn't work
2015-3-26
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Trimble makes a good commercial gps solution for business and military use. They do have a few hand held gps units for non commercial intent but the price is too high. And frankly, they are even more proprietary than Apple. The most common use of their devices seems to be in supermarkets as stock taking devices but large construction and geology data collection is popular too.
We're you starting this thread for knowledge about gps? And glonlass? There are several great articles about it on the web. There are so many satellites flying around earth right now that NASA has to plot them very carefully so as not to get taken down by one in a launch.
2015-3-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Danger,

I started the thread as I was trying to use the link at the top but it was simply unavailable.

These predictors can identify downtimes for data which can help in planing use of UAVs in specific areas.

Checked the link and it works for me.  If not just type it in.
2015-3-26
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Cool sounds interesting, I'll check it out.
2015-3-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sorry, I meant to say this information can provide historical data of GPS downtime.  In  other words there may be a pattern of no GPS signals on days at specifc time periods.

So for example if you were planning a shoot with a client and you said sorry cant fly at the moment as I cant get a GPS fix for the aircraft.  The client would probably respond by saying what does that mean ?  Well it means that without a good GPS fix the failsafe return to home function will be inoperable therefore the failsafe described in your Commercial Operations Manual would not be able to be initiated in an emergergency.  Thus you could be held to be negligent if you did not delay operations.

If you then looked at your research for GPS coverage in that specific region over the past week or so, ( and you would probably have done this leading up to the shoot date) it may be apparaent that there is no GPS signal between say 1.00pm and 2.00pm on a Thursday.  You can then tell the client with a degree of confidence that if the shoot was delayed for say an hour there is a strong chance the satellites would be back to enable a good GPS fix by the aircraft.

It is not providing all the answers to enable good pre-flight preparation, but it is a good tool to have and may just save your credibility with a client some day if you are prepared with an answer.

Anyway, just a suggestion, but it works for me.
2015-3-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-27 02:56
Cool sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

Dangair,

Have you had a chance to check out the Trimble link,  What do you think ?
2015-3-26
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I'm getting equipment ready for a placer mine today but when I'm done Ill check it out.
2015-3-26
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-27 03:42
Sorry, I meant to say this information can provide historical data of GPS downtime.  In  other words ...

Ty for this info I had no idea a site like this exisited,,,Too cool.

The coolest site ever easy to manage TY man!!
2015-3-26
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Ok I had a look at it, pretty cool. If you notice some of the satellites are near the polar regions and some near the equatorial. The southern polar are only visible to the northern after they transit the equator. The realtime calculations for actual user window is quite a bit more complex than the graph they show. I used to send packet to Ham operators around the globe back when packet was popular we also did voice. There are literally hundreds of sats up there, the ones they are showing are civilian unrestricted, they do much more than gps though, some retransmit cell and data such as packet, banks around the globe communicate through them. I didn't see any of the Russian sats on the list perhaps I didn't look in the right place, most Russian sats have the prefix RS such as RS232 a communication sat. Seriously, the list they show is nowhere near comprehensive. But it is pretty cool. And at least you know where there sats are at a given time. The problem with that is although 10- 15 sats are present not all will be in your window. some are stationary and others are orbiting, the distinction is not made which is stat or orb. The sky is littered with them!  
2015-3-26
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

So at this time there are just over 3,000 satellites around the earth some are in geostationary orbit and some in retrograde orbit. Most are commercial, then there scientific and of course last but not least... spy. As well as the known sats there are the Top Secret sats that are nt really there. These are advanced military weapons, sat killers and EM pulse weapons, and laser targeting rigs and the like. More and more are being shot up there every year. Soon space flight will be almost unthinkably dangerous, kind of like a duck flying through a shooting range!
2015-3-26
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

There is more than likely nukes on flying rocket racks up there too? You name it Uncle Sam and the Russians have been chucking out into space, it all started with a monkey and just got more stupid from there.
2015-3-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-27 13:07
There is more than likely nukes on flying rocket racks up there too? You name it Uncle Sam and the R ...

Dangair,

Thanks for the knowledge.  

I thought it was basic enough for our needs though and I guess the bottom line is thats what you are saying although the site is not comprehensive it will give an idea of whats going on.

2015-3-27
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Yeah, my main point of intention is to point out that while those sats are likely doable so are probably 50 others at any given time.
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-30 11:56
Yeah, my main point of intention is to point out that while those sats are likely doable so are prob ...

Yeah I was told about the Navcomtech Sat predictor but everytime I tried to find this I got a temporary unavailble message.  

The guy who used the NAvcom site showed me a print off that he takes with him to sites that sometimes shows downtime or very low sat cover at a particular time and I thought it was a good idea to explain to clients why you cant get a GPS fix so should delay a proposed flight on safety grounds.

Then I found the Trimble site and thought this may be something as a substitute until the Navcom site came back on line or perhaps they have stopped doing it now, who knows.
2015-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules