Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Remote charger for a battery (without the Spark)
13230 30 2017-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
H.Jelles
lvl.1
Netherlands

Dear members, charging the spark with a powerbank is really great. But I think many members would be more happy if they could charge a seperate battery whith a powerbank without putting it in the spark. A small connector that clicks on the battery with USB (A, B or C) that can be powerd by a powerbank. Would that not be awesome?
Hope you think the same, please like, maybe DJI then see the urge for this product or some other technical DJI deliver vendor. ;-)

battery-charger.jpg

2017-7-2
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I think you can’t charge the battery outside the Spark with a powerbank.
Problem will be the Voltage. As far as I know you can only get 12V output from a QC3 powerbank.
The battery needs 13,05V.
Only way will be to put a step up converter (like in the Spark) in between.
2017-7-2
Use props
H.Jelles
lvl.1
Netherlands

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-2 02:01
I think you can’t charge the battery outside the Spark with a powerbank.
Problem will be the Voltage. As far as I know you can only get 12V output from a QC3 powerbank.
The battery needs 13,05V.

Hi Dirk52, thank you for the technical explanation (I am not technical sorry). So as I read your comment: the DJI Spark is capable to do this step up conversion with a powerbank as a source. So maybe I am totally stupid but then this can also be possible with a external connector to the battery? Or do I see this wrong?
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

In theory, it would be possible. For all practical intents and purposes, I really doubt I want to carry yet ANOTHER accessory for the Spark, since I already have the charging hub and a couple of extra batteries. Being able to charge on the go is great if I don't need 4 hours to charge a battery.

So far, here are the solutions available today.

1. USB power bank for phones - takes a long time to charge. Limited number of charges - what's the weight of a power bank vs the number of batteries it can charge
2. buy extra batteries - expensive, but viable

Possible solutions
1. Power bank designed to fast charge Spark batteries
2. Car charger that can fast charge Spark batteries

I'm not sure how many Spark owners will be away from a power outlet for prolonged periods of time. Based on my own usage, I expect to burn through 6 batteries a day while traveling, and will simply charge them when I'm back at home/hotel. If I plan to use this while camping and moving from location to location, perhaps one or both of the 2 possible solutions above might be needed. Either way, the problem isn't unique to the Spark - the same would happen with any electrical device (e.g. mobile phones, tablets, etc)
2017-7-2
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

H.Jelles Posted at 2017-7-2 03:06
Hi Dirk52, thank you for the technical explanation (I am not technical sorry). So as I read your comment: the DJI Spark is capable to do this step up conversion with a powerbank as a source. So maybe I am totally stupid but then this can also be possible with a external connector to the battery? Or do I see this wrong?

The step up Modul is integrated in the spark.
So when you want to charge the battery outside of the spark you need a step up after your powerbank and before the battery. Is this what you mean?
2017-7-2
Use props
H.Jelles
lvl.1
Netherlands

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-2 05:35
The step up Modul is integrated in the spark.
So when you want to charge the battery outside of the spark you need a step up after your powerbank and before the battery. Is this what you mean?

Yes Dirk52
2017-7-2
Use props
H.Jelles
lvl.1
Netherlands

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-2 03:51
In theory, it would be possible. For all practical intents and purposes, I really doubt I want to carry yet ANOTHER accessory for the Spark, since I already have the charging hub and a couple of extra batteries. Being able to charge on the go is great if I don't need 4 hours to charge a battery.

So far, here are the solutions available today.

Hi Ken-W, I have now 3 Spark batteries. But I think I also go for the 6, reason as you described. A day mountain biking in the high Alps do not give you any electricity options! Thats why I discussed this point to have an option for charging on the track. Thanks for the replay.
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

H.Jelles Posted at 2017-7-2 06:38
Hi Ken-W, I have now 3 Spark batteries. But I think I also go for the 6, reason as you described. A day mountain biking in the high Alps do not give you any electricity options! Thats why I discussed this point to have an option for charging on the track. Thanks for the replay.

Yeah, but it still calls into question the efficiency at which a regular 5V power bank would have to step up to 12V.... how much extra capacity would be needed to make up for charging inefficiencies?
2017-7-2
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-2 06:52
Yeah, but it still calls into question the efficiency at which a regular 5V power bank would have to step up to 12V.... how much extra capacity would be needed to make up for charging inefficiencies?

Not a 5V powerbank, a 12V powerbank. Supporting QC3.
So you „only“ need to step up from 12 to 13.05V.
2017-7-2
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

H.Jelles Posted at 2017-7-2 06:38

Do you have the charge hub? I think it does this, others have noted a micro usb port on it.
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-2 08:45
Do you have the charge hub? I think it does this, others have noted a micro usb port on it.

The USB port on the charging hub, i'm told, is for charging the RC and phone...
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-2 07:07
Not a 5V powerbank, a 12V powerbank. Supporting QC3.
So you „only“ need to step up from 12 to 13.05V.

QC3 isn't needed to charge the battery. A regular 5V, 2.4A power bank would charge the Spark battery. It just becomes a question of how long it takes - 1h, 2h, 4h per battery?

The standard Spark charger is 12V 1.5A / 9V 2A, which means it outputs 18W. If a powerbank can output that much power, then why not?

According to http://www.androidauthority.com/ ... 0-explained-643053/, "Version 2.0 supported four modes at varying power levels, 5 volts/2amps, 9V/2A, 12V/1.67A, and a 20 volt option.", so in theory, a powerbank that supports QC2.0 with documented manufacturer specifications that it is capable of outputting 9V 2A should do the trick. This power bank would need to be verified using an appropriate gauge of some sort in between the power bank and battery to confirm that the power bank is pushing that wattage when connected to the battery.

Does this make sense?
2017-7-2
Use props
H.Jelles
lvl.1
Netherlands

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-2 09:27
QC3 isn't needed to charge the battery. A regular 5V, 2.4A power bank would charge the Spark battery. It just becomes a question of how long it takes - 1h, 2h, 4h per battery?

The standard Spark charger is 12V 1.5A / 9V 2A, which means it outputs 18W. If a powerbank can output that much power, then why not?

Hi Ken-W to my humble knowledge that makes sense. Hope some reader of this forum steps up and shouts that all this stuff is already available ;-) Or very easy to setup. Until that I invest in buying more batteries before my trips.
2017-7-2
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

An Anker/Aukey power bank with QC3.0 / iQ is always an affordable and flexible (i.e. you can use it to charge your phone and Spark batteries) option. I'd recommend something along the lines of 12000 mAh which isn't too bulky or heavy.

One annoying thing about Anker is that they don't list down the max output specs of their Power IQ chargers. If the Power IQ recognizes the Spark battery and pushes out 18W of power, that would make it pretty ideal for what we're talking about
2017-7-3
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

H.Jelles Posted at 2017-7-2 23:27
Hi Ken-W to my humble knowledge that makes sense. Hope some reader of this forum steps up and shouts that all this stuff is already available ;-) Or very easy to setup. Until that I invest in buying more batteries before my trips.

Okay, looking at the specs here, this is something that SHOULD work... https://www.aukey.com/products/2 ... th-quick-charge-3-0

Not sure if it is dependant on whether the Spark is recognized as a QC3.0 client though...
2017-7-3
Use props
ALWilson
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ken-W Posted at 2017-7-3 03:19
Okay, looking at the specs here, this is something that SHOULD work... https://www.aukey.com/products/20000mah-power-bank-with-quick-charge-3-0

Not sure if it is dependant on whether the Spark is recognized as a QC3.0 client though...

Hi Ken,

I actually have this one and so far it works fine. Haven't tested charging from a completely flat battery, but seems to work relatively well most of the time. I only ever use it really if i'm out and have 40% battery left and just want to top it up.

I'm taking the Spark and this Power Bank on my travels at the end of the month and will let you know how well it works.
2017-7-3
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

ALWilson Posted at 2017-7-3 03:32
Hi Ken,

I actually have this one and so far it works fine. Haven't tested charging from a completely flat battery, but seems to work relatively well most of the time. I only ever use it really if i'm out and have 40% battery left and just want to top it up.

I think most battery packs that output 5V 2.4A will work, it just comes down to how quickly the battery takes to fully charge.
2017-7-3
Use props
fansdd190fdf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 858993 ft
United Kingdom

Ok heres a theory based on what i know of other lipos i use. If the input voltage is 13.05v that would indicate it is a 3s hv lipo inside. The power connection on the spark is 6 contacts so it is possible that the connector includes a balance port and main terminals. If thats so then a standard lipo charger that can charge hv batteries would be able to charge the battery via the terminals quickly.
Also if it is a 3s lipo then a 5v power source can be used even if it isnt stepped up by charging each cell separate. Each cell is only 4.35v fully charged so a 5v source should be able to charge without being stepped up. But without a balance connector you would have to charge via the main terminals so using an ubec to convert voltage to the required 13.05v.
2017-8-21
Use props
doktorkarate
New
Austria

USB C has enough power to charge the battery, but I still can not find any sort of cable...
Hope somebody will find this niche and build some
2017-8-26
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I feed the 220V power supply/charging cradle from the fly more combo using the ravpower 27000mAh power bank, which has an 220V AC outlet.
Capacity is 99.9Wh.
It can charge my two spark batteries in less than an hour twice. So that’s four extra flights .Maybe its worth waiting and see what dji can come up with.
2017-8-26
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

I have great success with this. I know it's not supported, but I'm evaluating it and  ok so far.
Screenshot_2017-08-26-19-21-55.png
2017-8-26
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19465 ft
United States

I also have the 12v car charger works great and fast. on order is a USB powered device for spark charging
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-8-26
Use props
SteveW25561
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2024 ft
Canada

I just ordered a couple of these items and I’ll see if they work. It’s exactly what people are discussing: a USB step up transformer with a spark battery connector. I just hope it has the smarts to balance the battery pack charging properly - or is that handled by the battery itself? Same question for the 12v car charger above: I also ordered one but not sure if it charges the battery properly compared to the smart hub.

It’s just $10 for the USB charger at aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... rk/32824524197.html

2017-8-26
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Well with 12 v car charger it takes about 50 mins , and when put straight into spark all cells are at 4.3 volts showing full capacity. So so far so good. I will check to see if charging a warm bat. Stops charger with last light on pack showing.
Wait for cool batt and try again.
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too bought the 12v car charger for the spark.  I've a yeti 400 that I can bring with me for remote power, but at 20+ pounds it is certainly not convenient to carry.  My Sherpa 50 does charge the batteries, but my charger gets really hot when connected to the Sherpa 50.  I've been told that modified sign wave inversion should not be a problem, but I'm not comfortable anymore using the Sherpa 50.
2017-8-26
Use props
SteveW25561
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2024 ft
Canada

SteveW25561 Posted at 2017-8-26 11:18
I just ordered a couple of these items and I’ll see if they work. It’s exactly what people are discussing: a USB step up transformer with a spark battery connector. I just hope it has the smarts to balance the battery pack charging properly - or is that handled by the battery itself? Same question for the 12v car charger above: I also ordered one but not sure if it charges the battery properly compared to the smart hub.

It’s just $10 for the USB charger at aliexpress:

Here’s a picture of the item I mentioned above (edit ability timed out before I got the picture but now I can’t get rid of the double picture - sorry):
D633C205-EA8F-445D-ACF9-A1DF3E296914.jpeg
2B15BBA2-3814-4247-9034-DAF95219FDE0.jpeg
2017-8-26
Use props
Madwand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-8-26 10:23
I have great success with this. I know it's not supported, but I'm evaluating it and  ok so far.

I ordered the 2 battery and remote and phone version because DJI doesn't care.  
2017-8-26
Use props
fans207aa2e3
lvl.1

United States

Is it possible to power just the 3 bay charging dock from a step up boost converter at 13.05v?
That way you could use a 3s lipo battery in a backpac or a car cigarette lighter port and charge 3 batterys at once.
image.png
2017-9-5
Use props
Bozora
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142234 ft
Singapore

FullSizeRender.jpg

I use my omnicharge pro to connect to my charging tray and charge 3 of my batts. Like this battery bank cos it has a 110V AC out
2017-9-5
Use props
Tinkleo
New

Is this easy to use
2019-10-16
Use props
Tinkleo
New

There are a lot of chargers and charging lines here. I don't know if there are any you need.

2019-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules