Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Inspire - Different Questions
2387 15 2015-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Hi guys, I'm gonna take the plunge and order my new Inspire next week.
I have been flying rc planes and helis for almost 40 years and I am excited to fly this machine in atti mode and use the GPS assist to do just that, assist, (not fly it for me). I have some questions that I haven't located the answers to after scouring this site and the 3 trillion pages at rcgroups.
Please, if you have a comment, start with the number question you're commenting on.
thx in advance

1) - I plan on doing a lot of filming of racing sailboats and Salmon Charter boats, what is the word on launching from a boat?
       I have read guys that say it doesn't work, "but in a future update ......" and that one guy with all the cool vids that say it does work from boats.
       I can hand catch no problem, I'm worried about it flipping out on takeoff, can I just take off in atti mode?, (I don't need any help flying).

2) - I live in the Midwest, so do a lot of Red Tailed Hawks. I soar with them Summer, Fall, and Winter, some seem to truly enjoy it as do I, but ..........
      there is also the spring season when these birds are frisky for obvious reasons. If they knew that there were 4 carbon reinforced props spinning at a high rate of speed I'm sure they would opt out of an attack, but being as the Inspire is fairly new, they prolly have not seen the youtube vids yet. Anyone have any idea if/when there will be some prop guards for the inspire? Anyone see a vid or pics of someone's customization of prop guards?

3) - Anyone on this site ever hear of the term CG? From the very beginning, every aircraft, full sized or smaller, NEEDS to be balanced.
      I would like to assume that the DJI engineers balanced the Inspire with the 4500mah battery pack installed and the craft ready to take off.
      Assuming that that's the case, then what happens when one installs a much bigger battery pack in the rear like the 5700. What about adding a Trackimo as well? Wouldn't that change the balance? Why does no one talk about balance of the Inspire 1 after the larger batt, and accessories are installed? Surely it changes the balance, no? I don't understand as it was always a priority of mine to make sure my crafts were properly balanced, yet no one here talks about it ???

4) - Anyone think about using the telemetry that Falconers use?

5) - Any suggestions on where to purchase and why? What kind of firmware should I expect to get and what kind of props should I expect to get (what are the best props for this bird, dji or 3rd party)?

6) - Mountain Flying. I plan on doing a lot of filming in CO and AK. There is no way to accomplish breath taking video with a maximum ht limit of 500m
      Has someone found a way to change the altitude limit via the app, or a (workaround). Most Peaks in the US are waaaaay higher than 500m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis ... f_the_United_States
2015-3-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

1) - I plan on doing a lot of filming of racing sailboats and Salmon Charter boats, what is the word on launching from a boat?  I have read guys that say it doesn't work, "but in a future update ......" and that one guy with all the cool vids that say it does work from boats.

Some have done it but it depends on the boat, the sea condition and how much you are rocking.

I can hand catch no problem, I'm worried about it flipping out on takeoff, can I just take off in atti mode?, (I don't need any help flying)

Hand catching an Inspire is not like other multi rotors.  It has the VPS system under the copter.  Be very careful if you want to try to do this..

2) - I live in the Midwest, so do a lot of Red Tailed Hawks. I soar with them Summer, Fall, and Winter, some seem to truly enjoy it as do I, but .......... there is also the spring season when these birds are frisky for obvious reasons. If they knew that there were 4 carbon reinforced props spinning at a high rate of speed I'm sure they would opt out of an attack, but being as the Inspire is fairly new, they prolly have not seen the youtube vids yet. Anyone have any idea if/when there will be some prop guards for the inspire? Anyone see a vid or pics of someone's customization of prop guards?

Nothing yet.  Maybe later but an attack from above would not prevent injury to a hawk.

3) - Anyone on this site ever hear of the term CG? From the very beginning, every aircraft, full sized or smaller, NEEDS to be balanced.   I would like to assume that the DJI engineers balanced the Inspire with the 4500mah battery pack installed and the craft ready to take off.   Assuming that that's the case, then what happens when one installs a much bigger battery pack in the rear like the 5700.

The 5700 mAh packs are the same form factor.  It is not an issue.

What about adding a Trackimo as well? Wouldn't that change the balance? Why does no one talk about balance of the Inspire 1 after the larger batt, and accessories are installed? Surely it changes the balance, no? I don't understand as it was always a priority of mine to make sure my crafts were properly balanced, yet no one here talks about it ???

The Inspire is a complete system and it is not anticipated that you will make any modifications.  If you do, the onus is on the user.

4) - Anyone think about using the telemetry that Falconers use?

You have telemetry with the Inspire I am not sure what the Falconers use.

5) - Any suggestions on where to purchase and why? What kind of firmware should I expect to get and what kind of props should I expect to get (what are the best props for this bird, dji or 3rd party)?

Use a DJI approved dealer with a proven track record of customer service.  The Inspire firmware is available on the DJI website.  The props that come with the Inspire are part of a tuned propulsion system.  You will need no other.

6) - Mountain Flying. I plan on doing a lot of filming in CO and AK. There is no way to accomplish breath taking video with a maximum ht limit of 500m   Has someone found a way to change the altitude limit via the app, or a (workaround). Most Peaks in the US are waaaaay higher than 500 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis ... f_the_United_States

The height limit is 500m above the take off point.  I have flown at over 9000'.  I don't think you will have an issue.  The max height is 14,500'.
2015-3-17
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-18 10:48
1) - I plan on doing a lot of filming of racing sailboats and Salmon Charter boats, what is the word ...

I should have posted that it is not necessary to address all 5 questions if you do not have an answer to them.

"Nothing yet. Maybe later but an attack from above would not prevent injury to the Hawk"

I was worried about the Inspire, and if there was prop guards on it then I would have a much easier time fabricating something over the top of the blades. I guess we will all see this spring as the Mid-West is NOT the only place with Birds of Prey.

"The 5700 mAH packs are the same form factor. It's not an issue."
lol- how can u say that, they're a lot heavier, (look at the specs)

"The inspire is a complete system and it is not anticipated that you will need to make any modifications"
I'm sure it was not "anticipated" that these 4k birds will sometimes fly away all by themselves. There is no doubt you have read  threads about tracking devices to help recover these birds. Again, there is no talk of CG or balance when using the heavier lipo packs or devices needed to track lost Inspires (until the firmware issues are sorted out).

"You have telemetry with the Inspire I am not sure what Falconers use"
ED, hello? When the battery in the Inspire goes dead, it no longer has any functions.
Guys are talking about Trackimo and Marco Polo, and I am asking if anyone has considered using tracking devices that falconers use to find their birds that "fly off". If you are not sure what Falconers use, then why are u wasting you time answering the question?

"The props that come with the Inspire are part of a tuned propulsion system. You will need no other"
The props that came with the first shipment of Inspires flew off and crashed 4k birds!
My question is, which props should I "expect to get". Version 1 with no locks, version 2, how about the new self locking props? ..... "What version of props should I expect?"

6) -  did you even read this question b4 you answered? There's no way you did. I stated I know that there is a set limit of 500m above take-off. I'm at the base of a mountain, and I want to fly up it, (I did not say I wanted to fly off of a cliff). I asked a specific question, and you avoided it. I'll ask it again.

"Has someone found a way to change the altitude limit via the app, or a (workaround)?"

Ed, you are a super cool guy and amazingly helpful. I have seen you go out of your way to help guys out and I think you and Blade are awesome. But I think your over-worked Ed, certainly not yourself tonight.
I think DJI should fly you off to Hawaii (or somewhere nice) for two weeks of R&R, all expenses' paid with the love of your life, (not the inspire Ed!), so you can relax a little. Maybe come back to a fresh, non buggy firmware update, (wouldn't that be nice).  
2015-3-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob, I am sorry I did not meet your expectations in answering your questions.  I doubt we will have prop guards for the Inspire.  it has been requested since the introduction but we have not received any at this point.  I know what the specs are and I am telling you that I have flown with both and there is no difference in flight characteristics.  Yes I understand COG and use it to setup my S1000 and S900.  Several users have installed tracking devices.  However, you can also track based on the flight path to the last known position.  Your information is somewhat flawed.  As far as I know there were less than a handful of props that flew off.  DJI addressed this with the prop locks.  I am testing the E800 props and locks.  I appreciate their simplicity but I do not think that there is any improvement in performance.  The answer to your last question is no.  There will be no changes to the maximum that you can fly unless some person comes up with a way to hack the code. Have a great evening.  
2015-3-17
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Ed, hope you're not pissed.

9,000 feet?!?  Holy crap, where, when, please give me the link, the footage must be awesome.
2015-3-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

2) - I live in the Midwest, so do a lot of Red Tailed Hawks. I soar with them Summer, Fall, and Winter, some seem to truly enjoy it as do I, but ..........
       there is also the spring season when these birds are frisky for obvious reasons. If they knew that there were 4 carbon reinforced props spinning at a high rate of speed I'm sure they would opt out of an attack, but being as the Inspire is fairly new, they prolly have not seen the youtube vids yet. Anyone have any idea if/when there will be some prop guards for the inspire? Anyone see a vid or pics of someone's customization of prop guards?

In my opinion this is not a very good idea at all. Birds can be unpredictable and they do not like the sound of rotors. I was flying full size helicopter (full size pilot) with Fish and Game on board in our area counting Bald Eagles. If you get to close to their home area or nests they will attack you! of course everybody loses.
They do not like the whipping sound the blades make.
Just FYI
2015-3-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-18 12:09
Thanks Ed, hope you're not pissed.

9,000 feet?!?  Holy crap, where, when, please give me the lin ...

Not me.  I was on the top of Mt Rose between Lake Tahoe and Reno.  My actual altitude above the take off point was only about 100m.  It depends on where you take off.  I could have been at 10,000 plus feet and flown down to the meadow.  But then I would have interfered with the gliders soaring on the thermals.  
2015-3-17
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Hey Rich, I have soared thermals with them over the years with easy stars and other light and quiet thermaling crafts for sometimes up to an hour. I don't plan on being anywhere around them with the Inspire, but sometimes they come out of nowhere, (especially if im concentrating on flying and filming). (a spotter is really needed to be a safer pilot no matter what the situation)

Hey Ed, do you have any video posted of those CO flights, I would love to see them.

2015-3-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-18 12:27
Hey Rich, I have soared thermals with them over the years with easy stars and other light and quiet  ...

No I was doing some testing at altitude and the wind was blowing hard.  I almost landed in the trunk of my Mini.  Not a lot of fun.  Maybe the next time I am in Tahoe.
2015-3-17
Use props
Thranth
lvl.1

Canada

Wow talk about ingratiating yourself into the community. I know for sure that the criteria for a guy that I would like to help must be as follows.
1) He has to have a propensity to come off as arrogant, cocky and brash. =Met
2) Must be a know it all. =Met
3)Wildlife? Huh who cares? I just worries bout me and muh drone. 3-4 dead birds is no prob as long as I git muh shot =Met
4) When people try to answer his questions he should immediately respond with innuendo,sarcasm and flat out rudeness. =Met
Looks like Bob Marley met all my prerequisites.
Please go to my website www.figureitoutyourself.com for all the answers to your questions.  
2015-3-17
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-18 12:54
No I was doing some testing at altitude and the wind was blowing hard.  I almost landed in the tru ...

How fast was the wind speed, and what kind of wind does the Inspire handle/are you comfortable with.
Do you think if I were out on Lake Michigan filming a sailboat race, it's could handle 20mph or less?
2015-3-17
Use props
mgowell
lvl.2

United States

Thranth Posted at 2015-3-18 13:22
Wow talk about ingratiating yourself into the community. I know for sure that the criteria for a guy ...

I too thought the same.   What a tool.   Asks for help and the rudely roasts the person that was kind enough to offer some advice.   Bob came across as so rude I actually thought it was a joke of some sort.  

Perhaps the most arrogant response yet on this forum.

I'm sure others can't wait to help Bob.

2015-3-17
Use props
mgowell
lvl.2

United States

Wow talk about ingratiating yourself into the community. I know for sure that the criteria for a guy ...

I too thought the same.   What a tool.   Asks for help and the rudely roasts the person that was kind enough to offer some advice.   Bob came across as so rude I actually thought it was a joke of some sort.  

Perhaps the most arrogant response yet on this forum.

I'm sure others can't wait to help Bob.

2015-3-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Guys.  I am not offended.  Nor should you.  If I do not answer your questions, please feel free to ask again.  There will be times that I don't know or cannot say.  But at least you are assured that you have the most complete answer available.  

@Bob it was about 17 on the surface I don't know how fast it was up 20-30m.  You have to remember that how a craft responds depends on many factors.  In this case I was at 8500' and the air is thin.  That effects the crafts ability to respond to the wind.  I have flown in winds higher than that now but not at that altitude.  
2015-3-18
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Thranth, Lolz!
2015-3-19
Use props
jonathanlipking
lvl.2
United States

With your 40 years of experience I'm surprised you have any questions at all... Just wait for Inspire 2.
2015-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules