Zeiss Cinemizer, FatShark, and Other Goggles - Worth the Experience?
123Next >
13356 104 2015-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

LOL BOB!!
That's what I said when I turned the goggles on and saw the picture its so clean I cant believe it really.

Im still checking these goggles out I will be back asap as they are Mucho cool and so easy to operate!

Hands down!!

Must Have item!!

No dizziness either from viewing so far.
2015-3-23
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-24 12:07
I just unboxed them and hooked them up more to come asap..First glance thru the glasses worth every  ...

GREAT NEWS!!! {:2_37:} Can't wait till Wednesday!
2015-3-24
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Oh yeah so worth it Mark!!
Set up your camera via Jim Hares tutorial's as well

Im still messing around with em and will post a video thru the lens asap if possible.
2015-3-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-25 12:59
Im still messing around with em and will post a video thru the lens asap if possible.

Quit teasing and do it !!!
2015-3-24
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

LOl .....yeah right....lol

when I can Hoss busy as shit here actually....
2015-3-24
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-25 12:59
Oh yeah so worth it Mark!!
Set up your camera via Jim Hares tutorial's as well

Sweet! Glad to hear... I have been refreshing this page all day to hear your experience... I'll be waiting at the door like a kid at christmas for the UPS truck tomorrow.
2015-3-24
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Bob, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious hazards involved in using FPV gear with a revolving gimbal, but there are at least two to keep in mind. The first is that while wearing the goggles the pilot cannot see the actual aircraft and 360 degrees around it. That may not seem terrible but it can be. You see where the camera sees if the camera is looking sideways while you are flying forward, bad things can happen. Also, most guys in the FPV world have a forward looking camera that sees where the aircraft is going  but it doesn't see what's around the aircraft, things like other aircraft, a car maybe a bird that is trying to kill your quad ( this happens a lot during nesting season with Ravens and crows ) ! Guys be advised birds will attack your quads! And finally, you can have a difficult time knowing where the aircraft really is, you can get lost and not really know where you flew too. They are super cool though, next best thing to being there.
2015-3-24
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-25 15:11
Bob, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious hazards involved in using FPV gear with a revolv ...

I am sure none of us ever intended this device to stay on our face 100% of the time. Yes there are clear times when eyes on the bird are necessary and there are other times while filming where having a nice clear FPV view is important. I feel safer knowing I don't have to run in circles trying to find a shade spot just so I can see the damn screen... and when I have a second person running the camera I can feel more confident that they are getting the shots I want because they can see a reflection free screen through the goggles. Another plus for me is that my grandfather likes to join me while I fly and I know he wants to see what the bird sees but he can't see the screen so he strains his neck and nearly stumbles trying to watch the bird instead... Now I can sit him in a chair and let him wear the goggles to enjoy the show... It is so hard for me to see the screen I have resorted to wearing a blanket over my head just to have a view of the screen... surely the glasses are easier to remove than a blanket when I need to see the bird.
2015-3-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-25 15:11
Bob, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious hazards involved in using FPV gear with a revolv ...

Please ........ I have been flying fpv for many years.
From slow moving Easy Stars, super fast funjet, and helis of all kinds.
Just because I stated that I want to start a "new" business does not diminish the fact that I have been doing this rc stuff for 30 yrs and I teach classes for the last 6 at the HobbyTown usa once a month.

I just get this feeling there is a note stuck to my back saying "he's from another planet" - lol
(I wonder if this is how Mork felt, anyone remember Mork and Mindy? mmmmm Mindy)
2015-3-24
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

No that wasn't aimed at you personally, it was intended for general info, in the event others with no FPV experience were reading.
2015-3-25
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I like the fact that people can experience flight as though seen from the eyes of a bird. It's cool!
2015-3-25
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

But there's no need to be confrontational. Be comfortable with who you are man we aren't standing at a urinal measuring up here. Your degree in rc flying is impressive I see your proud of that. Run with it. Yes Mindy was kinda cute.
2015-3-25
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Alright! Just got the cinemiizers... first impressions- very nice design. Only did one quick flight without the sunshades. It is very easy to see the screen and the surroundings with a tilt of the head. The image is a little dark and contrasty in the goggles but its a world of difference being able to see through the camera.... Going out now to try it with the sunshades. Haven't messed with the settings of the cinemizers yet so maybe I can lower the contrast and raise the brightness... Either way I am confident once I learn how the actual image looks compared to what I see in the glasses I will be able to compensate... Also, I let my grandfather wear the glasses while I was flying and it was the first time I was able to see him get excited about watching the feed instead of the bird.
2015-3-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-25 16:48
But there's no need to be confrontational. Be comfortable with who you are man we aren't standing at ...

It's all good Dangair, you're a good guy with a strong opinion about everything.
I know you mean well so I will do my best to not get frustrated.
It is nice that you are always so willing to help everyone out (thumbs up) -
2015-3-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-26 01:29
Alright! Just got the cinemiizers... first impressions- very nice design. Only did one quick flight  ...

Mark, I hope the neighbors didn't see you sleeping on your front porch last night waiting for your goggles - lol
2015-3-25
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

It's good to be helpful, and like you I started flying toy planes 45 years ago. Started with a cox airplane attached to strings. And moved on from there. Build sail planes and gassers too, lots of em. Crashed hundreds of times! Still have Am and Fm radios stuffed in my workshop! They probably still work? Even tried my hand at rocketry, kinda cool but not really my bag. Perhaps the most memorable time was living in Victoria on Vancouver Island, I built kites mostly Japanese fighting kites and large delta kites and when the wind became too strong for them I would switch to sail planes and Ninja gliding fighters. Cut my own foam cores and used piano wire on the leading edges of the wings for dog fighting! The fuses were taco style with a layer of glass. On really windy days we would tape pliers to the nose for ballast and holy crap! We were gunned at over 110 mph! Standing on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Lots of fun!!! For me toy aircraft has been a journey and being able to watch it grow from strings to quads has been really interesting, I can't wait to see where it will go from here!
2015-3-25
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-26 01:29
Alright! Just got the cinemiizers... first impressions- very nice design. Only did one quick flight  ...

Mark same here I couldn't be happier with the new goggles however Im a bit busy right now and no time to play with this thingy right now..

Image quality is better than I expected actually and once you set up the camera via Jims tutorial the video image washes out a bit however that what editing is for )

Great minds think a like glad they arrived
2015-3-25
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob- Luckily I don't have any neighbors within sight, Just my grandfather that lives in the house next to us but his view is blocked by a barn. Here is a view of the back part of our land. We have a large pecan orchard on the other side of the road but it looks really ugly right now without any leaves on the trees... I'll be glad when crops start coming in so I can get some nice shots of the land around us.... Not much to look at around here but this is a great area to just fly around and practice, lots of open space, but also plenty obstacles down low to practice  some low flying maneuvers....

Colonel- Love these things. Yes shooting in log is much easier with the cinemisers and actually cuts down the contrast in the glasses and makes it easier to see.

Using them with the sunshade will take a little getting used to but it is easy enough to lift them and rest them on my forehead when I need line of site or need to access the iPad...

I did not tell my wife that I made the purchase But as soon as I got them I posted a nice pic of me wearing them on FB
A few minutes later she was calling to find out "what the hell I bought this time" When I told her they were for the drone she calmed down pretty fast. It is very odd... Every year I spend tons of money on photo and video gear and she gets all upset about it but she is very supportive of the drone stuff... I just don't understand her way of thinking... I definitely make more money with the other stuff but I guess she sees some potential with this thing...
b00001.jpg
2015-3-25
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Your so lucky Mark...Weather sucks here ....
2015-3-25
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-26 11:48
Your so lucky Mark...Weather sucks here ....

haha yea I'm a Texas boy.. I could not handle the snow... It's been several years since I have seen any and even then it was just for a half day. ;)
2015-3-25
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Mark where at in Texas we race in Beeville TX .
I plan to move south real soon Ive had it with this snow and cold brother.
2015-3-25
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-26 12:03
Mark where at in Texas we race in Beeville TX .
I plan to move south real soon Ive had it with this  ...

I am in Seguin Tx. Just up the road about an hour and a half away from Beeville.
2015-3-25
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Mark I pass right by you every year if possible in Oct come see us run at  the Texas Mile..My buddy is running this weekend in Beeville going for 210 mph in the mile.
Small world Mark!!
2015-3-25
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nice! I bet thats a rush.
2015-3-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

I ordered the googles and sun shade tonight !!!

(be careful with amazon prime, on the VERY LAST page almost $50 bucks in sales tax showed up. I backed outta there, then found another dealer on amazon with 0 tax and 0 shipping. should have them on Saturday )
2015-3-25
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-26 14:56
I ordered the googles and sun shade tonight !!!

(be careful with amazon prime, on the VERY LAST pag ...

Right move Bob....I noticed that too gotta get it from the right seller or they add on to the list price for who knows why.
Its right out the box bad ass!!
Really they are great for back up if needed in midday sunlight.

Keep in mind if you set up the camera via Jims tutorials and shooting in LOG the vibrancy is lost a bit and everything is quite stark to the eye.
A few simple changes and you can get vivid color if needed for casual flight of if you have no concern for post editing etc..

Menu is a snap to use and toggle features its pretty fool proof and the interface box where you plug into with the hdmi can be tucked in a front pocket or slid behind ones belt.Not a big fan of emf and battery's close to my head like on the fat sharks.
I did have set of fat sharks they came up defective out the box and I never went back but forward into these goggles.
Not saying the fat sharks aren't a good deal just didn't work out for me.

You'll like em and the sunshade was a smart move I found too a ball cap works well to buffer sunlight without the shade so you can keep an eye on things around you while in flight. I don't use these to fly I see them working well after staging a shoot and surveying the area first with a tablet and visual line of sight.

No dizziness what so ever really I was shocked as that's not normally the case for me with something like this in the past.

Sadly I'm grounded till next week bad weather has rolled in with light snow and high winds etc...Next week 60
2015-3-25
Use props
bvh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2669265 ft
United States

Where are the reviews on the Zeiss Cinemizer?  I'm reading that the few who have them like them, feel they have great image quality... but, I need more information.  Do you feel they are worth the money or has the novelty worn off a few hours later?  What is it like flying the Inspire with them on - is it a better experience worthy of this money or do you have buyers remorse?  Is everyone feeding them with HDMI out of controller only?  

Just curious to read a more in depth review from those who have made the purchase with some time using them with your Inspire 1.  Thank you...
2015-3-30
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

bvh@fatbulldog. Posted at 2015-3-30 18:51
Where are the reviews on the Zeiss Cinemizer?  I'm reading that the few who have them like them, fee ...

Love mine! I don't use them 100% of the time while flying but for me they are worth every dime to be able to properly set exposure... If there are not any obstacles then I leave them on and really enjoy flying fpv... I have flown in several different settings since my purchase and get good use out of them... Are they a necessity? Probably not for most... For me I can't see the iPad so yes they are a necessity for me. I probably wear them on my forehead half the time while I need Los but being able to lower them easily to fly fpv is perfect for me. If you have a second controller, the camera man is gonna love these things... Only real gripe is that I can't see camera settings on the HUD...  Using hdmi out... Shades are perfect for blocking out all the sunlight... Pupils can tune to the screen and not the sunlight...no reflections blocking view of what you are shooting... As long as you are aware of your surroundings flight control is a breeze with them on.
2015-3-30
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I feel like several people are thinking hard on this kind of purchase... So let me try to be objective... The image quality is not better than what you see on the iPad, if you can see the iPad... The really only benefit is the elimination of sunlight and reflection.... If you are on the fence buy them from B&H or somewhere similar and try them out...if you are not satisfied return them...
2015-3-30
Use props
bvh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2669265 ft
United States

Thanks.  I personally find using ipad a little difficult on sunny days.  I feel that I spend a portion of time adjusting my position to avoid glare when I really want 100% of my time spent on good flying.  I love flying first person and think I would love these... I may give them a try.  
2015-3-30
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

bvh@fatbulldog. Posted at 2015-3-31 01:18
Thanks.  I personally find using ipad a little difficult on sunny days.  I feel that I spend a porti ...

haha, yea, I was getting desperate before I got the glasses.. I was constantly running around trying to find shade or hunch down to create shade with my body to reduce glare... my breaking point was when I had to resort to wearing a blanket over my head just to see the iPad...
2015-3-30
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just to let you know the fatshark HD doesn't allow recording to the SD in HD mode.
2015-3-30
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-3-31 01:47
Just to let you know the fatshark HD doesn't allow recording to the SD in HD mode.

That was the deal breaker for me as well B/S.
High winds here and lot to do before Easter has left me waiting to really have fun with these goggles to date.
Easy plug and play in the field having a charging puck helps too I see they hold a charge for about 5 hours max which is pretty good.

2015-3-30
Use props
Helipal
lvl.1

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-31 02:26
That was the deal breaker for me as well B/S.
High winds here and lot to do before Easter has left ...

Colonel, thanks for pointing this out.

2.5 weeks ago I ordered the FS dominator HD's for my inspire, and thought the image quality seemed a lot less than HD. I also noticed that with the Dom HD's you had to have the goggles on just right to see all corners and OSD information. I had 7 flights with them, and was able to go out long distances much more comfortably due to the immersions effect. (you don't feel detached like when watching the tablet, its like your sitting in the inspire, and flying - more video game like)

After reading this exact forum 5 days ago, and based on the opinions voices here, I decided to return my FS dominator HD's, and get the Zeiss cinemizers instead (ordered through B&H for both, and they have an excellent return policy) got the replacements 3 days after return sent.

There is a big difference between the 2, and I think the colonel's assessment is correct - FS dom HD's must not produce an HD image. I also found the cinemizers have a larger field of view into the image, and easily displays the entire image in wide screen format with all inspire OSD information easily visible. They also don't fog easily like the Dom HD's did (had to put the Dom HD's on my car defroster vent before each flight or they were unusable). I too strongly recommend the Zeiss Cinemizers - in my opinion, they are worth the extra $170
2015-4-3
Use props
Propslinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19633 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll be receiving my Cinemizers on Tuesday. I can't wait. Thanks for all the feedback , really helped me decide. I hope they come with everything I need.
2015-4-4
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-20 11:38
I have had my finger on the buy now button for a few weeks now... I just can't see the iPad even w ...

Marktho1, Print out the fatShark logo on some clear printable sticker, put them on the Cinemizer's and tell her they were $200.  
2015-4-5
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Propslinger Posted at 2015-4-4 22:54
I'll be receiving my Cinemizers on Tuesday. I can't wait. Thanks for all the feedback , really helpe ...

Please be sure to let us know what yah think ...
Also, you'll need a mini hdmi to hdmi adaptor if my memory serves me correct don't know if it was included.

2015-4-5
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Helipal Posted at 2015-4-3 21:33
Colonel, thanks for pointing this out.

2.5 weeks ago I ordered the FS dominator HD's for my insp ...

I didn't event think about the fog factor!
Great input ty
2015-4-5
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

So I just got my cables.

How are you guys liking the glasses?
Are you using them all the time, (or has the novelty wore off)?

Are you using them for fpv or watching reruns of Hogan's Heros?

Bob
2015-4-20
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-21 07:55
So I just got my cables.

How are you guys liking the glasses?

Can't fly without them! tried watching a movie with them once but it did not interest me...
2015-4-20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules