Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Zeiss Cinemizer, FatShark, and Other Goggles - Worth the Experience?
123Next >
13338 104 2015-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Hi there, I originally had these glasses budgeted with my start-up at $700 bucks - wow

Here is my question to the guys who are using them.

How cool are they?
Is it majorly different than looking at an NVidia shield tablet?
Is it worth spending the $700 clams, will others be breathless when u let them where them, then take off and fly around.
There are certainly other things to spend $700 on, but if these things are really that cool, then I MUST have them - lol

I edited the subject line to include others willing to post feedback or ask questions.
2015-3-17
Use props
wattsnb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656444 ft
United Kingdom

Cool? Hell yeah.  If your tablet is affected by the sun then these are a great way for cam operator to see a perfectly clear image.  They can be used as an extension of the tablet app view or just via the HDMI out with OSD on or off.  

Are they worth $700? Probably not.
Am I glad I bought mine? Oh yeah.
And will others be 'breathless' when you let them wear them and view the feed? Most definitely.
Oh yeah. If you get them get the sun shield also so the cam operator or second viewer gets the best image with zero distraction.
2015-3-18
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

thx wattsnb for your input -

Anyone else using these goggles?
2015-3-18
Use props
bevin.lealand
lvl.2

India

Hi
Yes I use them all the time makes life easy as I'm in the bright sun all the time more than happy.
2015-3-18
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

$ 549.00 for the FatShark Dominator HD goggles that are designed for FPV pilots , lots more features !
You can also use a reciever with them for the phantom , these weren't made to watch movies , you could but why ?? These are fpv pilot units , did you know the fatsharks also have its own built in micro sd slot and can record your flight and the hud info , a seperate you copy of your flight that won't get deleted !
I own and use two sets , a two year old pair that work perfectly , and the new HD model ... excellent product performs very well have a look , the ziess are very well respected in optics ,but it's way overkill and they really are not a true fpv pilots goggle weather your just doing video or really flying hard you wouldn't be disappointed ...
2015-3-18
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-19 11:46
$ 549.00 for the FatShark Dominator HD goggles that are designed for FPV pilots , lots more features ...

Thanks for the excellent input daver! How do you like them compared to looking at the tablet?

I'm really just starting to think about the dslr $700 fpv mod, (which would blow my cinimizer budget), but for almost $200 less, maybe the fatsharks can fit in the budget somewhere.

I still wanna here from other goggle guys, please post your input, I'm sure we will all benefit.
2015-3-18
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

I own a pair of Cinemizers and like them a lot.

For what it's worth, I just got back from the International Drone Day sponsored by the Las Vegas FPV Club.
I talked to the leader of this club about my decision in getting the Cinemizers versus other options. He said "you made the right decision - there are non better"

I value his opinion greatly, because FPV is their discipline - it's what they do.
2015-3-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

"I talked to the leader of this club about my decision in getting the Cinemizers versus other options. He said "you made the right decision - there are non better"

Did he mention why there are none better?  (what were his reasons, likes and dislikes) did you guys talk about the FatShark HD too?
2015-3-19
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-20 01:29
"I talked to the leader of this club about my decision in getting the Cinemizers versus other option ...

I own a pair of the  Zeiss.  Love them.  While at FlightFest 2014, I passed them around to other guys to take a look.   One guy just received his FatShark HDs.  Said he wish he went with the Zeiss for image quality.  Another guy, that was USING his FatSharks, went and bought a pair of Zeiss's on the spot from one of the vendors at the event after using my Zeiss's for 10 minutes.   

Disclaimer: I only have the Zeiss - I do not own a pair of FatSharks.  Just reporting what I experienced.
2015-3-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Awesome info dmytchak, appreciate the time.
The "another guy" who bought a pair on the spot. Do you know if he was using the older FatSharks or the new FatSharks HD
(I read the old fatsharks are nowhere near as good as their new HD goggles).

ALSO ... how do you like the goggles compared to flying watching the tablet? (which tablet u got?)
2015-3-19
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-19 13:42
Thanks for the excellent input daver! How do you like them compared to looking at the tablet?

I'm ...

I've have the older dominators and the new HD ones , Exellent for me , the glasses just aren't for me the real deal , recently got to look through a set of ziess offerings which is well respected in the optics world ... Very cool but not going to cut the mustard for my fpv uses . Fatsharks have just been around fpv longer and offer lots of real nice features , oh and like the Ziess cinemizers you can also watch movies on the fatshark goggles too ,if necessary ....
It's just personal preference ...
2015-3-19
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

This is funny , the size of fpv screens were using for piloting never neede hd anyway they are small and resolution isn't much better or clearer than my old dominator analog pair , really ... Your just framing shots and video ... The fatsharks are great for the price , oh the FOV is larger too , even its own micro  sd slot for recording , and more .....its own video receiver choice for other uses like a phantom 2 , and head tracker ... Hmmm
2015-3-19
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dmytchak Posted at 2015-3-20 01:51
I own a pair of the  Zeiss.  Love them.  While at FlightFest 2014, I passed them around to other g ...

I have had my finger on the buy now button for a few weeks now... I just can't see the iPad even with a hood so I usually fly at beginning or end of day when I can escape light reflecting off the iPad... Just one question. Is it worth getting the Cinemizer knowing I am going to get an earful from my wife? She gets over things pretty quickly but the initial blast is brutal...
2015-3-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-20 11:38
I have had my finger on the buy now button for a few weeks now... I just can't see the iPad even w ...

Just buy them, then come back and tell us how cool they are.
2015-3-20
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-21 11:04
Just buy them, then come back and tell us how cool they are.

Already did. They'll be here on the 25th... I'll report back.
2015-3-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

I had a set of fat sharks and wouldn't you know it the goggles where defective so I gave up got a refund.
Dave I wish the fat sharks I bought worked I would have stuck with them..
I just priced the FS HD's and cant find em under 600.00 bucks if they are in stock.UGH...

But now I realize I have to do something the sunlight is a real deal killer wearing poloroid sun glasses makes it worse.

I followed your lead mark and bought a set tonight as well.
Wifes is gonna be pissed but when isn't she at  me..

Im planning on running them off the hdmi out on a small monitor I use in the field..For a quick grab solution if the tablet gets drowned out by sunlight.

Sunlight is the real deal killer flying in mid day this should work but man 700+ the sunshade I better hide the credit card for a few months ..

Should be here Monday )
2015-3-20
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-21 11:10
Already did. They'll be here on the 25th... I'll report back.

I'm honestly excited for both of you -
2015-3-20
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-21 13:13
I had a set of fat sharkes and wouldn't you know it the goggles where defective so I gave up got a  ...

Should be here Monday )

I'm honestly excited for both of you

Anyone else have these things, we all want some more feedback, make us want them!
2015-3-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

No doubt gents I will be sure to report back to you all !!
I will test them out asap when they arrive and hit yah up with what seems to be the only solution besides the fat sharks which I really wanted to use for this application.
I've set up several shoots this spring at SCCA racing events I cant have any issues via sunlight etc...
got the sunshades too man this is getting expensive as hell.

Like I said I want them as back ups in the field when I cant see the tablet because of glare.
Often I use a small extension monitor for my spotter which has a hdmi in and out this is a no brainer IMO.
Covers all the bases for safe flight IMO from the pilots vantage point.

But man, 700 bucks Im a dead man when the wife finds out..Oh well...

Amazon has the best price over anyone out there,http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... ;smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

2015-3-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

bevin.lealand@g Posted at 2015-3-19 09:58
Hi
Yes I use them all the time makes life easy as I'm in the bright sun all the time more than happ ...

Bevin did you get the 40 dollar sunshade as well?? Or don't you need it in sunlight?
Do they work well enough not to get that 40 piece of rubber?
Could wearing a ball cap block enough sunlight for viewing?

I read in reviews they say it doesn't seal well but the jury is still out on this I take little measure in most product reviews.
2015-3-20
Use props
lukebowerman.ya
lvl.2

Malta

Just got myself a set of the cinemizers, in my opinion you require the sunshades. The glasses are amazing!
2015-3-21
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a set of cinemizers and a set of fatsharks but not the fatshark HD version. In my opinion the cinemizers are much better . They are obviously higher resolution than the non HD fatsharks but apart from this the screen quality is better. My understanding is that the HD fatsharks are not full HD but I may be wrong on this. I wear my cinemizers further down my nose so that I can see the screen but also be able to look over them to maintain line of sight with the aircraft. I use them in conjunction with an nvidia shield tablet using the HDMI out from the shield. This means I can see the app itself through the cinemizers, rather than just picture and OSD information. I have the sunshade for the cinemisers and yes it is better with it, but the downside is that you cannot see the aircraft and therefore need a spotter with you. Just an additional note, I have recently put an anti glare film on the tablet screen and it has really improved the visibility.   
2015-3-21
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

lukebowerman.ya Posted at 2015-3-21 16:14
Just got myself a set of the cinemizers, in my opinion you require the sunshades. The glasses are am ...

TY man that tipped it in!
2015-3-21
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-21 16:31
I have recently put an anti glare film on the tablet screen and it has really improved the visibility.   ...

What kind of film did you use for the Shields Dave?
2015-3-21
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-21 16:31
I have a set of cinemizers and a set of fatsharks but not the fatshark HD version. In my opinion the ...

Anti glare film I had no idea they made it Best buys here I come...lol
2015-3-21
Use props
bbkillen
lvl.2

United States

i have one and i'm very happy with it's performance.
2015-3-21
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

bbkillen@gmail. Posted at 2015-3-22 12:18
i have one and i'm very happy with it's performance.

That's awesome, can you tell us a little about them?
I, (like others) are on the fence rt now between the cinemizers and the fatsharkhd

Geeze, I really wish I could walk up and take a look thru them both.
When u buy a new tv, pc, laptop, or phone, you get to look at them side by side.

These goggles are so damn expensive to just order and HOPE you like them. Anyone know where we can look at these goggles?
2015-3-21
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

I'm very picky Bob I will give yah the heads up on the resolution etc when they arrive Monday.
We've read good and bad so this is a leap of faith here for this kind of Bochco bucks.
2015-3-21
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob its called screenguard by kwmobile but there are lots of manufacturers out there. Its the antiglare or matt versions you will need.
2015-3-22
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-20 02:10
Awesome info dmytchak, appreciate the time.
The "another guy" who bought a pair on the spot. Do you ...

He was using the older FatSharks.  

I don't fly the Inspire with the Zeiss yet.   It's too much of an investment and I like LOS for the time being until I'm really comfortable with the craft.  I fly the Zeiss on my other FPV gear (fixed wing).
Also - get the sun shades with the glasses.   
2015-3-22
Use props
bbkillen
lvl.2

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-22 13:10
That's awesome, can you tell us a little about them?
I, (like others) are on the fence rt now betw ...

This is the first and only experience with goggles so i really can't offer any comparisons.  The one thing i can say is they are a blast and add a new dimension to flying.  I was hesitant to spend the money but i'm really happy with my purchase.

2015-3-22
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-22 14:58
I'm very picky Bob I will give yah the heads up on the resolution etc when they arrive Monday.
We've ...

Yea that was the thing holding me back...I did lots of research but could not find much info about the resolution and usefulness of actually setting exposure accurately with the glasses... I always seem to over or under shoot it when looking at the iPad. Not so much concerned about the experience as I am in the practical function of the glasses... About the only information I found about the resolution was that there is a blue tint in the shadows... We'll see soon enough, I am keeping my fingers crossed...
2015-3-22
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Colonel Angus wrote:
We've read good and bad so this is a leap of faith here for this kind of Bochco bucks.

Thanks for the reply Colonel, I'm very picky too, especially with 750 clams.
Hope you LOVE 'em

Dave E wrote:
Bob its called screenguard by kwmobile but there are lots of manufacturers out there. Its the antiglare or matt versions you will need.

Thx Dave, which one did you choose? ...... and also ... How do you like the Shield, happy with the purchase?

Dmytchak wrote:
I fly the Zeiss on my other FPV gear (fixed wing).
Also - get the sun shades with the glasses.

Smart not using them on the Inspire til ur ready
So how do you like them flying yr plank, super cool?

Bbkillen wrote:
I was hesitant to spend the money but i'm really happy with my purchase.

Thx for the reply Bbkillen, that's the kind of responce we all want to hear

Marktho1 wrote:
We'll see soon enough, I am keeping my fingers crossed…

I got my fingers crossed ur gonna love 'em Mark    now hurry back afterwards

This thread is getting great feedback so I'm gonna edit the original subject line to include FatSharks and Others.
Feel free to post your feedback or questions -
2015-3-22
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

After all this I had to order one from B&H, a better price for me.   We shall now see.
2015-3-22
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a question I'm prone to headaches especially when they're video games play on the TV. motion sickness I guess. do you guys think that the glasses will give me motion sickness like regular video games on a TV.
2015-3-22
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-3-23 06:22
I have a question I'm prone to headaches especially when they're video games play on the TV. motion  ...

BINGO!!
Man took the kid to Disney and went on some virtual simulator..Never again!
Those are my concerns as well will one get a bit barfy??
Seems like the OP can duck their eyes around the glasses to reoriente.
Personally I wont fly extensive periods of time with these glasses mainly I wanted something to cut the glare when lining up a shot and most likely will flip them off after shooting video or stills and go back to the tablet or monitor with a sunscreen.

But I may be wrong here its a brave new world for an older fart like me. I like the idea of letting a spectator wearing them for the effect of flying Id like my folks to experience that this summer..Sure, it seems a bit of a novelty ,but this application also has great use for the flyer and many untapped attributes  for using in ones films etc.

I too am cautious about said operations while wearing these things I just tend to be that way when flying a chopo-matic around and realistically look at this device simply as an extension of my own arm, or as a crane shot never seeking to push it for distance etc...That's when Chit goes wrong fast..
I too get a bit dizzy via this type of device quiet easily so I will be sure to report back on that aspect as well asap

Ever in doubt using these things stop and climb to a safe altitude and reassess the situation and then traverse to next shot.

Lots of space above  I bet that's my failsafe eventually when flying with these glasses, using a spotter of coarse.
I did tell the wife this am I bought the things she was ok with which was cool as we can all agree this is money that could be spent somewhere else possibly. Is this a must have item ?? We will see soon tracking shows them being delivered Monday by 8pm and weather looks ok Tues and weds for flight

2015-3-22
Use props
tc_chay
lvl.2
Brunei

anyone tried itvgoggles 3dxi??? it does have hdmi input....
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

OK, it's MONDAY, MONDAY, MONDAY

Where are the boys who were expecting new Cinimizers today? (still playing I bet)
2015-3-23
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

I just unboxed them and hooked them up more to come asap..First glance thru the glasses worth every penny IMO and fit like a glove!

The battery is not on the side of your temple like the fat sharks and all the settings are easily toggled via the toggle wheel selector.

Im blown away from the min I powered em up.
Definately will hit you up with more info asap Tuesday Time to check these bad dudes out !!! They are light weight too !!
I will try to get 4k go pro video thru the lens so you can see what I see.

Freaking off the hook so far worth every penny!!
2015-3-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-24 12:07
I just unboxed them and hooked them up ........ Freaking off the hook so far worth every penny!! ...

OMG, I think it just moved, first time in years -
2015-3-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules