Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
You fly within Line of Sight?
18557 213 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

IA-Flyer Posted at 2019-12-16 15:10
You've already bought an ADS-B receiver, right?

I have a Mavic Pro that I use recreationally to fly, to take shots/videos on vacations and due to corona virus have not gone out to do much.  I do not operate out of visual range.   
2020-12-20
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-19 12:23
Bill,  you dodged birds,  random aircraft and other fighter jets while flying VFR in an F-4???

Yes, we flew low altitude in Turkey as low as 50 ft AGL or higher for pilot comfort.  In Germany we couldn't fly below 1,000 ft AGL away from cities, in the US same thing in the SE.  Red Flag was around 100 ft (can't remember that for sure).  

Flying out of a base in Florida near Cape Canaveral, we took off and almost immediately had an airplane take a birds trike to the wing (blood and feathers, no aircraft damage).

Important to realize that if your drone is out of visual sight the aircraft/bird/helicopter further away is already a DOT and you have almost zero spatial awareness as to how close.

The problem at low altitude is that you don't birds them until it's almost to late to do anything.  A guy I flew with a few times was killed, after I left Ramstein AFB, Ge., by a Turkey Vulture that went through the quarter panel (not the bullet proof windscreen).  It decapitated him and parts hit the back seater and injured him.   420Knots is 700 feet per second, 480 800 ft per sec.  He was practicing a low altitude attack.  
2020-12-20
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Question: If I'm strictly within the law and my drone is the legal maximum distance away and I have sight of it, but it decides for some reason (fault/failure) to fly off and crash, just what in the hell am I supposed to do about it? It matters not if I can see it or not.

I'm not aware of any aircraft crash whereby the aircraft hit the precise spot it was over at the time of fault or falure.

There are thousands of examples of full-sized aircraft crashing miles away from where the pilot first lost control.

This whole "within sight" is complete nonsense when the drone is sending back live video all the time it is flying. Total nonsense. I have a better idea of what is around me flying RC aircraft than when I'm flying full-size!!!!! The rules are crazier than the lawyers.

2022-7-17
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

CineDude Posted at 7-17 11:04
Question: If I'm strictly within the law and my drone is the legal maximum distance away and I have sight of it, but it decides for some reason (fault/failure) to fly off and crash, just what in the hell am I supposed to do about it? It matters not if I can see it or not.

I'm not aware of any aircraft crash whereby the aircraft hit the precise spot it was over at the time of fault or falure.

i guess the idea is you want to be able to see your drone so you can see everything around it including what's above, what's below, and what's behind your drone....places you cannot see by looking at the phone screen.

apparently if you are flying your drone and an approaching aircraft is coming up behind you then you can see both the low-flying aircraft and your drone at the same time and you can take evasive action which probably includes lowering your drone.  you can't see the approaching aircraft if you are staring at your phone screen and since you would be responsible for the collision should it occur, you would be at fault for flying bvlos.

but i agree, total b.s.
2022-7-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This whole "within sight" is complete nonsense when the drone is sending back live video all the time it is flying. Total nonsense.

Really, so have a look at some "bird attacked my drone " videos and unless those birds were directly in front of the camera, how many of those attack were completely out of the blue .......unless the pilot was watching the drone?
So since it is "complete nonsense", how would you be aware of what is around the drone when trees etc. block your line of sight? You have only a very narrow field of view from, and when relyiing on,  the camera.
How many pilots have crashed their drone when flying sideways and not watching the drone?

''Complete nonsense''? Answer, complete nonsense.

2022-7-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As that can happen whether or not you have line of sight, why raise the question in a line of sight thread? It's not relevant to the topic.

But, answer.
Try the CSC and try to drop the drone out of the sky.
2022-7-29
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

Air_Owen 10 Posted at 2017-7-3 08:01
for me, i always have my friend watch the drone for me while i was watching the screen

Me too.

My friend's name is Harvey...

;-)

TCS
2022-8-7
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

Chaosrider Posted at 8-7 15:43
Me too.

My friend's name is Harvey...

I wonder how many got that.  
2022-8-24
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

fans5fad8194 Posted at 8-24 06:43
I wonder how many got that.

Probably not many.

But it looks like you did!

:-)
:-)

TCS
2022-8-28
Use props
djiuser_fyGp3xt33Xpr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88593 ft
United States

Tombolian Posted at 2017-7-3 08:33
You do until you look down at your remote for something then you look up but can't find the blasted thing again.. After a few seconds, it's RTH for me...

I had that problem until I bought reflective/fluorescent tape to apply on certain parts of the drone.
2022-9-5
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

My eye sight is so good I fly my drone 3-4 miles out. Have not have any problems yet.
2023-5-23
Use props
ME262
lvl.2
Australia

My last drone I added a bright yellow skin and and bright pink section at the front to help me see the drone when flying.
2023-5-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-23 16:24
My eye sight is so good I fly my drone 3-4 miles out. Have not have any problems yet.

Why bother with the drone, you can surely fly yourself and, with such eye sight, see better than the drone's camera. Besides you could carry a proper camera with you with interchangeable lenses.
2023-5-24
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have to to protect my commercial Remote Pilot Accreditation. It is possible to get a single BVLOS approval but its flight by flight and you need a very, very good reason.  
2023-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules