You fly within Line of Sight?
18675 213 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yflyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2030272 ft
Canada

No fun flying within line of sight - there is no thrill! I have a toy that can go far so I take my chance and fly as far as 2 km but I make sure I don't fly above people or traffic. I fly mostly near the beach, hills and mountains.
2018-8-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Personally, I don't think it's really that advisable not to fly DJI drone with LOS. I have the Spark and Mavic Pro and know that if not flying short distances for getting that close and up-close shot, whenever I fly my drones beyond that it's almost impossible to keep connection and divert your flight in a path that isn't simply in a straight line? I mean even my Mavic Pro with OcuSync has trouble keeping connection if I fly several thousand feet away and I'm in a flight path anything other than out in a straight line from me? Can't imagine people could get into too much trouble not flying VLOS, because the craft eventually quickly will disconnect and RTH, immediately flying back in a VLOS from the pilot, so....
2018-8-24
Use props
DedeMavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 649403 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Air_Owen 10 Posted at 2017-7-3 08:01
for me, i always have my friend watch the drone for me while i was watching the screen

Same for me. I never fly alone and always have someone keeping an eye on the drone
2018-8-24
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Just to add some spices....
Fly within the line of sight and 8km range....
Is there anything missing here???
2018-9-13
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>

DocAraxá Posted at 2018-9-13 03:06
Just to add some spices....
Fly within the line of sight and 8km range....
Is there anything missing here???

No – you have a car ?
2018-9-13
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Here in Australia VLOS is the law.

I fitted one of these strobes just above the Aircraft Status Indicator on my Mavic Pro. Only weighs a few grams, attached with Velcro when required.

It does not appear to affect any of the on-board sensors but it sure makes the Mavic easy to see at a distance.
2018-9-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

we all do. what's the point of flying just around you? it becomes boring, when surrounded by hills and bush you have no other choice to fly os.
2018-9-14
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

Most of the time I do I would say 85% of the time.  We have some really edgy LEOs here (law enforcement officers) and I don't want to push my luck with them
2018-9-14
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1688973 ft
Mexico

line of sight does not mean that one can actually see the drone, it means that there is nothing blocking the view.    If physical view of the drone was the rule then flights would need to be less than a couple hundred meters and goggles would not be allowed ever.
2018-9-17
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-17 10:24
line of sight does not mean that one can actually see the drone, it means that there is nothing blocking the view.    If physical view of the drone was the rule then flights would need to be less than a couple hundred meters and goggles would not be allowed ever.

Strictly speaking, I suppose your definition of VLOS is correct, but the FAA (for commercial use) interprets VLOS meaning you must be able to see the UAV (§107.31).  I would think that the same applies for recreational use.
2018-9-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

In order to ask the question, I think you have to define LOS.  For example, the moon is LOS if you can see it.  The moon is also VLOS if you can see it, but not if you can't.  The planet Neptune is LOS if it's in the sky above, but it's not VLOS because it's too tiny to see with your eyes.  

I think the acronym you want to use is VLOS.  So how is VLOS defined by FAA in the USA?

Here is the actual definition of VLOS per FAA:  https://tinyurl.com/ya3fl2u2

Note that VLOS is not a dot in the sky, it's significantly closer - close enough to see where how the AC is positioned relative to the horizon, per the definition of "attitude."  In other words, is the AC tilted down?  Is it tilted to the left?  Is it flat?  You have to be able to see those differences.  Otherwise, it's not VLOS.  

Good luck  
2018-9-17
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Brazil

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-17 14:45
In order to ask the question, I think you have to define LOS.  For example, the moon is LOS if you can see it.  The moon is also VLOS if you can see it, but not if you can't.  The planet Neptune is LOS if it's in the sky above, but it's not VLOS.  

I think the acronym you want to use is VLOS.  

Thak you for your examples and to help this thread to be informative, allowing everyone to give their opinions.
Cheers.
2018-9-18
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

I fly both, but most of the time, I put my pro in the air, and look at the screen. I just don't look at the drone, because I want to see what I can film/make a picture off. I do try to keep notice of the surroundings, but not always, tried a distance test, and at 4500m you can't see it anymore, nor can you see if something is close by. So I look at the screen, stay within 120m agl, and hope for the best. But normally I try to keep it relatively close by so I can notice my surroundings
2018-9-18
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-4 06:25
LOS is not vague, it is clear.  You must be able to see your drone to know if there are hazards around it, terrain, features, other aircraft.  It's like VFR (visual flight rules) you have to be able to see your environment and lookout for other aircraft.  So bring a spotter(s) to keep an eye on your drone.  Yes, I look away to check what it is looking at, just as a pilot checks inside their cockpit for altitude, airspeed, radio changes, fuel, etc., but you need to keep eyes out as much as possible.  I can think of at least 5 times in my 11 years flying F-4s that I almost ended up in dead by a near miss from birds, random aircraft or another jet maneuvering in practice air combat or flying low level.

I know you want to do your thing and in general it is a big airspace and a little drone.  So was the Turkey vulture that decapitated a friend of mine when it penetrated his cockpit at low level.

Bill,  you dodged birds,  random aircraft and other fighter jets while flying VFR in an F-4???   
2018-9-19
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

I always fly LOS whenever I can hear the drone's motors whirling.  Whats the point of buying a drone with capabilities if there is no plan to use them?
2018-9-19
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-19 12:38
I always fly LOS whenever I can hear the drone's motors whirling.  Whats the point of buying a drone with capabilities if there is no plan to use them?

Low noise Mavic Platinum props are going to mess with your logic
2018-9-21
Use props
bjashton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245932 ft
United Kingdom

I think there are two issues here...
2018-9-21
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Brazil

bjashton Posted at 2018-9-21 04:09
I think there are two issues here...

And these two issues are....????
2018-9-21
Use props
Rob_S
lvl.1

I'm new so building confidence first.
2018-9-21
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Brazil

But in this viedo, the bird was not on VLOS!!!
2018-9-24
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Brazil

Rob_S Posted at 2018-9-21 21:43
I'm new so building confidence first.

Great! You are completely right!
2018-9-24
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

I fly line of sight in the city, outside the city I fly line of sight as in I can see where the drone would be, i cant necessarily see the drone it self...
2018-9-24
Use props
Nancy SEO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434849 ft
United States

It's not worth losing my MP and/or Part 107 license, so I stay within VLOS. Everything I do with my drones can be done within VLOS.
2018-9-24
Use props
FredAstra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

I always fly LOS, and I never drive above the speed limit.  Oh and the cheque is in the mail..
2018-9-24
Use props
Alan James
lvl.2
Flight distance : 146821 ft

The thing about “Line of sight” from a legal definition standpoint, at least here in the US, is that’s it’s a relatively loose term.  So yes, I ALWAYS fly LOS, from a legal standpoint.  But from an actual “Am I comfortable flying this far strictly with my un-aided eyesight” standpoint?  Definitely not.  (Try flying a 5 inch racing quad LOS more than 20 feet away... it’s HARD.)
2018-9-24
Use props
Bryan Salamat
New

Philippines

Erick705 Posted at 2017-7-3 07:04
When you're filming video, you're looking at your screen, adjusting gimble while flying.  Reading altitude, checking battery levels, exposure, etc.  You don't have your eyes on your drone.  These LOS guidelines are vague.  I don't see an issue flying beyond LOS.

I think line of sight is needed for signal propagation since the frequency used is 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz which requires line of sight to effectively communicate.
2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

i am always looking at the screen so i am not looking up, the only time i do check up at it is when it is landing and taking off
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Glad you all posted these messages about Line Of Sight flying, I haven't had my Mavic Pro Platinum even a month yet, and some times when I get it in the air the blasted little window pops up asking if I want to go into Beginners flight, and although I hate to do it, I have to take my eyes off the Mavic so I can tap the NO, and get the window out of the way.  I don't care for anything to come between my line of sight to the craft and me.  I sure have a long way to go just to learn some of the stuff y'all take for granted.  Sure like these discussions.
2019-1-3
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36158 ft
Slovenia

I think if You fly LOS why bother buying any mavic above mavic air ?
2019-1-4
Use props
Solo1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 383238 ft
United States

Peaugh Posted at 2018-1-31 14:03
I have ducked briefly behind large structures like a water tower, but mostly in line of sight, as I'm still starting out.

Careful with that. I ducked behind a water tower that I can see from my yard.  lost connection 100% didnt recover control until the Mavic was right overhead. First time I ever had a RTH because of disconnect. Scared the crap out of me. but atleast I know it worked how it was supposed to.
2019-8-17
Use props
Tollytastic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

Hi all,
I seem to have the opposite problem in that after flying RC helicopters and aircraft for over forty years I have a real problem in flying my Mavic 2 pro not to the limit of VLOS but to beyond where I can see the orientation of the AC.
Although this is vital when flying a Heli (no technology to help you) it is very limiting when flying the drone and although I have excellent piloting skills which transfer to the Mavic very well I obviously lack the confidence in the technology to go beyond this point.

The only solution I have found so far is have my wife as a spotter (she has great eyes) and strangely this then gives me the confidence to fly to her point of VLOS and I am then happy to use all that lovely info on the G04 app regarding orientation and position.

I think this is one area where having years of RC experience is a real disadvantage as that moment when looking up from the screen and not seeing the Mavic tends to momentarily stop the heart.
I hope with time and practice I will get over this problem but until then I have to rely on the wife.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem as it seems to be the opposite of what most people are experiencing.

Cheers

Tolly
2019-8-18
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

Nancy SEO Posted at 2018-9-24 11:36
It's not worth losing my MP and/or Part 107 license, so I stay within VLOS. Everything I do with my drones can be done within VLOS.

those are just words, in reality most people who say this don't stick to this rule all the time.  It's like going over the speed limit and saying you never do.
2019-8-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whenever I fly far distances then my flight path is generally always in a straight line and where I fly no structure is really above 80 feet...
2019-8-20
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

Boffin Posted at 2018-9-13 21:39
Here in Australia VLOS is the law.

I fitted one of these strobes just above the Aircraft Status Indicator on my Mavic Pro. Only weighs a few grams, attached with Velcro when required.

Thats a good idea , as mentioned in #161 , blink and you lose sight of that dot in the sky
2019-8-22
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Yes.

Why the b**** hell does a reply has to have to more than 10 characters?
2019-11-28
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

It's really easy to lose sight of your drone.  If it's far enough from you, you gotta remain cognizant enough to at least have an idea of where it should be.  I'm certainly not flying over 400 ft AGL, though you can be 100+ ft up and lose sight of it.  If you're by yourself, you just have to apply much more awareness and use your senses and sensibility.  I don't fly haphazardly, so I'm not concerned with losing my Part 107.
2019-12-13
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

bobsma Posted at 8-19 07:24
those are just words, in reality most people who say this don't stick to this rule all the time.  It's like going over the speed limit and saying you never do.

Much agreed.  Most people that say they don't speed, actually do.......they just haven't been caught doing it, but would point their fingers at others that do.
2019-12-13
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Neo Supreme Posted at 12-13 04:40
It's really easy to lose sight of your drone.  If it's far enough from you, you gotta remain cognizant enough to at least have an idea of where it should be.  I'm certainly not flying over 400 ft AGL, though you can be 100+ ft up and lose sight of it.  If you're by yourself, you just have to apply much more awareness and use your senses and sensibility.  I don't fly haphazardly, so I'm not concerned with losing my Part 107.

as a recreational flyer, i don't have that concern but i'm curious.  are part 107 flyers concerned with losing their license for violations?  we all have driver's licenses and since people are not perfect, we don't feel that every single violation is the end of the world and the license will be revoked.  however, i have noticed that part 107 flyers do feel like every violation is the end of the world so i was just wondering if they felt that meant losing their license as well.
2019-12-14
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-14 13:10
as a recreational flyer, i don't have that concern but i'm curious.  are part 107 flyers concerned with losing their license for violations?  we all have driver's licenses and since people are not perfect, we don't feel that every single violation is the end of the world and the license will be revoked.  however, i have noticed that part 107 flyers do feel like every violation is the end of the world so i was just wondering if they felt that meant losing their license as well.

I believe it's the application of 'better safe, than sorry'.  Honestly, many professional and certified drone pilots, are not quivering in fear of the FAA regulations.  If they are, they don't need to be flying a drone.  Of course, we won't be prone to fly in restricted areas or take part in any type of questionable/reckless activities, though getting the job done or even getting that 'great shot', involves a cognizant and responsible pilot, that is willing to take calculated risks.  That is the bottom line of having a certified person, to minimize any type of risks, BUT if any risks are involved, they are managed by very capable individuals that can handle most situations, in case anything may go south.
2019-12-16
Use props
IA-Flyer
lvl.2
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-4 06:37
That's the point of LOS, you have lost all situational awareness.  The aircraft approaching from behind you is traveling between 240 to 480 knots, with a closure of 200 to 440 knots.  So approximately a closure of 300 feet to 800 feet per second.  When I occasionally see an aircraft in the area I think, get back and get lower (if I can), because there is no way for me to tell how close that aircraft really is to my dot in the sky.

You've already bought an ADS-B receiver, right?
2019-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules