Spark & Birds!
3483 30 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lfkiter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111942 ft
United States

So, I saw one video on YouTube where the pilot says a seagull attacked his Spark over water causing it to crash.  I live in FL, near a lot of bays & the Gulf, and we have a lot of birds; sea gulls, pelican, osprey, herons, eagles, etc..  I want to fly over the water, but the past couple times I've flown as soon as I get the Spark over 20 ft, I get alot of birds coming over to check it out.  I'm worried that because of it's size, birds feel like they have dominance and will mess with it.  Has anyone else had any air to air combat with any birds?  Am I just being paranoid?
2017-7-3
Use props
Jptsrone
lvl.2
United States

Haven't hit anything yet but birds seem to have less respect for the Spark than the P3P. Probably the size or the sound.
2017-7-3
Use props
evilsoya
lvl.2
United States

One way you could avoid that is to use bright color skins notably red. From what I've read birds are scared by this color.
2017-7-3
Use props
HTWEELZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 141549 ft
United States

I've had a couple birds fly close to check it out but haven't done anything to it yet.
2017-7-3
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

evilsoya Posted at 2017-7-3 14:37
One way you could avoid that is to use bright color skins notably red. From what I've read birds are scared by this color.

ya i might have to go that route if I see more aggressive sea birds around here.
2017-7-3
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

HTWEELZ Posted at 2017-7-3 17:18
I've had a couple birds fly close to check it out but haven't done anything to it yet.

That's good to know, I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the flip upside down and motors shut off deal on the Spark.  I was flying today in some gusty wind, and seems like i almost flipped the spark while in sport mode.
2017-7-3
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284770 ft
United States

On the first day that i flew my spark I failed to notice a bird feeder not far away. The  birds near by got defensive and they started flying aggressively near the spark, almost as if they were attacking . I had to bring it down quick but it was tough as I had it in beginner mode.  Lesson learned. Watch out for birds .  My spark is red and they did not care.
2017-7-3
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not going to try mine at the UK coast.....The Sea gulls wear boots and are hard as hell. The P4P is good as you can see the swallows we have flying round the drone untill you get good height. They never attack though. A thing to bare in mind with the Spark then. Never even thought of the smaller form factor and over protective birds.
2017-7-4
Use props
Jptsrone
lvl.2
United States

2017-7-4
Use props
fans40bdc2b1
lvl.1
United States

I've had some birds either circle quickly and fly away or swoop by and buzz the little guy. They don't seem scared of it. I could see a larger bird taking a shot at it.
2017-7-4
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

Jptsrone Posted at 2017-7-4 06:36
https://youtu.be/urzWXidO5Es

This is the video i saw that got me thinking.
2017-7-4
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

fans40bdc2b1 Posted at 2017-7-4 06:44
I've had some birds either circle quickly and fly away or swoop by and buzz the little guy. They don't seem scared of it. I could see a larger bird taking a shot at it.

Ya, I'm thinking it would be nice if we could disable the flip Spark over to kill motors thing.  That way if we do get in a dog fight with a bird, we have somewhat of a chance.
2017-7-4
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

lfkiter Posted at 2017-7-4 09:01
Ya, I'm thinking it would be nice if we could disable the flip Spark over to kill motors thing.  That way if we do get in a dog fight with a bird, we have somewhat of a chance.

You should add that to the 'Collecting Users Feedback' thread. It's a good idea.
2017-7-4
Use props
BiPiotr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 305413 ft
Poland

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-4 20:28
You should add that to the 'Collecting Users Feedback' thread. It's a good idea.

... so far I just observed some sparrows flying around but they are toomsmall to attack it ...
2017-7-5
Use props
fans256166a5
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Maybe adding bright red prop guards will scare birds? - Does anyone have any experience or solution to this problem?
2017-12-4
Use props
davawt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4885 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi there, I have a Red Spark and just avoid flying near any wild life or Pets, they maybe scared or just protective, give them respect and just stay away. I live by the sea and when there are birds on the ground just fly somewhere else, always works for me.
2017-12-4
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

I cross my fingers, I have never hit or been hitted by any bird, but I admit that I have been forced more than once to take down my Spark due to a swarm of birds trying to peck on it while sorrounding it in the air...
2017-12-4
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-7-4 02:47
Not going to try mine at the UK coast.....The Sea gulls wear boots and are hard as hell. The P4P is good as you can see the swallows we have flying round the drone untill you get good height. They never attack though. A thing to bare in mind with the Spark then. Never even thought of the smaller form factor and over protective birds.

So true about seagulls. Evil looking things. Haha.
2017-12-4
Use props
Mooney4030h
New
Flight distance : 3317 ft
United States

I live in MN and I get a few birds chasing it but none of which has "attacked" it! lol! I have had it graze a build and once it hit I knew it was gone but it did a amazing job re stabilizing itself!
2017-12-4
Use props
Burdman44
lvl.2
Flight distance : 188773 ft
United States

A "cloud" of Starlings ripping around the corner of my apartment building were surprised to find my Spark hovering right in front of them (taking a picture of the GF on our balcony) as they made the turn. All but one of the last ones avoided it - hit it broadside between fore and aft props, killed the bird, Spark fluttered for a second but recovered quickly. 2 small cracks in both props, but otherwise undamaged. Obviously not a deliberate attack, but I've had some of the pro/Inspire guys warn me about the gulls at the beach. Headed to the Dominican Republic this Friday...we'll see
2017-12-4
Use props
Dead Drone Flyi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61161 ft
United Kingdom

Red is certainly not immune - UK - Been buzzed by rock doves (feral pigeon) and crows. My biggest concern however was a Buzzard- he was definitely on the hunt. No hits yet thankfully- straight to sport and down she comes asap.
2017-12-4
Use props
dedreiix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

I had something similar with seagulls near the river in our city. They flew by really close that was scaring but nothing happened.
2017-12-4
Use props
tylerclark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60912 ft
United States

I would guess you live near Tampa/Clearwater area? Thats where I live. I fly and have seen birds curious, but none that have taken the drone on yet! Hopefully it's good footage if they do! lol
2017-12-4
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

Birds see UV the best but i don't know whether them seeing it would attract them or scare them! Someone brave should colour in their spark with a UV security pen and see what happens.....
2017-12-5
Use props
JuanCitoCruz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 226188 ft
France

Buy and AR-15 and shoot at them! (joking!)
2017-12-5
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Burdman44 Posted at 2017-12-4 13:16
A "cloud" of Starlings ripping around the corner of my apartment building were surprised to find my Spark hovering right in front of them (taking a picture of the GF on our balcony) as they made the turn. All but one of the last ones avoided it - hit it broadside between fore and aft props, killed the bird, Spark fluttered for a second but recovered quickly. 2 small cracks in both props, but otherwise undamaged. Obviously not a deliberate attack, but I've had some of the pro/Inspire guys warn me about the gulls at the beach. Headed to the Dominican Republic this Friday...we'll see

Good job.

The USA regulations on Starlings are that they are an invasive species decimating natives.  They are the reason you don't see Cardnals, blue jays, chicadees, or other natives they have pushed out of the area.  Drone to the head on sight, I say.
2017-12-5
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I have had a hawk start circling my Spark as I flew it far enough away that it was a dot.  Couldn't really tell if the hawk was right over it or not but I switched to sport mode and hustled the drone back to myself.  Also, while filming my neighbor mowing on his lawn tractor, I looked up to see a huge vulture glide just over the drone (one to two feet) while his head craned down to get a good look as he glided by.  The vulture was close enough to me that I could have hit it with a rock.  Odd that he was so brazen.

Had a pair of hawks (same one as before?) in hunting orbits come over me as I launched.  They ignored the drone.  It could have been because I was standing under the drone.   I got some video of them from their altitude but I didn't follow them as I didn't want to disturb their efforts to clear my neighborhood of mice.
2017-12-5
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

lfkiter Posted at 2017-7-3 18:32
That's good to know, I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the flip upside down and motors shut off deal on the Spark.  I was flying today in some gusty wind, and seems like i almost flipped the spark while in sport mode.

You could use NLD software to tilt the forward angle from default 39 degrees to 60 degrees...i have tested this and it seems we are flying on F-16 with its nose pointed down !!
2017-12-5
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JuanCitoCruz Posted at 2017-12-5 05:27
Buy and AR-15 and shoot at them! (joking!)

Would prefer an L115A3 just to make sure.......The splat on hit would be awesome.
2017-12-6
Use props
Burdman44
lvl.2
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-5 09:02
I have had a hawk start circling my Spark as I flew it far enough away that it was a dot.  Couldn't really tell if the hawk was right over it or not but I switched to sport mode and hustled the drone back to myself.  Also, while filming my neighbor mowing on his lawn tractor, I looked up to see a huge vulture glide just over the drone (one to two feet) while his head craned down to get a good look as he glided by.  The vulture was close enough to me that I could have hit it with a rock.  Odd that he was so brazen.

Had a pair of hawks (same one as before?) in hunting orbits come over me as I launched.  They ignored the drone.  It could have been because I was standing under the drone.   I got some video of them from their altitude but I didn't follow them as I didn't want to disturb their efforts to clear my neighborhood of mice.

You guys see this one? ...crazy...https://forum.dji.com/thread-122583-1-1.html
2017-12-7
Use props
Burdman44
lvl.2
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-5 08:46
Good job.

The USA regulations on Starlings are that they are an invasive species decimating natives.  They are the reason you don't see Cardnals, blue jays, chicadees, or other natives they have pushed out of the area.  Drone to the head on sight, I say.

Thanks, lol. They certainly are an invasive species. Watched them several years in a row push some Robins' eggs out of the nest they'd build every year in the holly bush at my back steps. Little blue eggs would be in the nest when I'd leave for work, and be split open on the walk when I'd get home with Starlings exiting the bush as I approached. Horrible little animals, but extremely good target practice with the scoped pellet rifle 0:-)
2017-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules