iPad Mini 4 - where are local videos?
2480 8 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

I recently switched from the Galaxy Note 4 to the iPad mini 4.  With the Note 4, I was able to just plug my phone into the computer and grab the low-resolution videos, copying them directly from the phone's internal memory.  Now, with the mini 4, I have no idea how to do this.  I purchased a $5 file explorer app on iTunes, but I just don't know this device well enough to figure out how to plug it into my PC and retrieve those local vids.

On a sidenote, how do I set the flight overlay to appear on the local mini 4 video?

2017-7-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

First Question: On iOS you use iTune to manage your apps' files. You'll find the videos in the videoCache folder.

itunes_filesharing.png
Second Question: You can't. There's no way in iOS to add the flight overlay, if I'm correctly understanding what you mean by that. The next version of iOS will let you create a screenmovie that might get you there.

Hope this helps -- cheers!
2017-7-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Actually, you can also just save the low-res videos individually to your iPad's Camera Roll and then sync them to your computer, or transfer however you normally do so. I often use AirDrop for quick one-offs. Copying the videoCache folder to your computer nabs them all at once, though.
2017-7-3
Use props
DroneTech
lvl.2
Canada

Today I ran out of room on my sd card and had a message show up that recording has stopped. I pressed the record button on my iPad mini again and it started to record. So does this mean I can start and stop the 720p cache recordings? I thought these were recorded automatically from start to finish of a flight.
2017-7-3
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-3 14:20
Actually, you can also just save the low-res videos individually to your iPad's Camera Roll and then sync them to your computer, or transfer however you normally do so. I often use AirDrop for quick one-offs. Copying the videoCache folder to your computer nabs them all at once, though.

Hey, EM, thanks for the helpful info.  As a 25 year PC veteran, this iOS thing is pretty new to me with this iPad Mini 4.  I'm not sure what you mean by "iPad's camera roll," and when you say to sync them to my PC - is iTunes required for this?
2017-7-3
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

DroneTech Posted at 2017-7-3 14:50
Today I ran out of room on my sd card and had a message show up that recording has stopped. I pressed the record button on my iPad mini again and it started to record. So does this mean I can start and stop the 720p cache recordings? I thought these were recorded automatically from start to finish of a flight.

Do you recall if the message specifically said that you ran out of room on your SD Card, or did it say that you ran out of video cache?
2017-7-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

KryptoNyte Posted at 2017-7-3 16:14
Hey, EM, thanks for the helpful info.  As a 25 year PC veteran, this iOS thing is pretty new to me with this iPad Mini 4.  I'm not sure what you mean by "iPad's camera roll," and when you say to sync them to my PC - is iTunes required for this?

So the iPad stores photos in its Camera Roll, which is accessible via the Photos app. Other iOS photo apps can also ask for and be granted access to the Camera Roll.

Apple provides iTunes for computer file syncing. On MacOS, syncing your iOS device via iTunes by default syncs photos to the Mac Photos app, and with the Windows version of iTunes I think it does the same for the Windows Photo Gallery. Anything not in the Camera Roll has to be dealt with differently, as covered in my original post. Hope this helps and enjoy your iPad!

2017-7-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

DroneTech Posted at 2017-7-3 14:50

Downlink video is only cached when you hit the record button. I also initially thought the app just cached downlink video until it ran out of room, but that's not how it works.

At some point DJI added support for attempting to save video to your smart phone when the Mavic's MicroSD card filled up, but I can't remember if it's able to save high-res or if it just continues to save Downlink video even after the onboard card is full.
2017-7-3
Use props
MaxAda
lvl.2

United States

Hey, I think you may need an iOS file manager, such as iMazing or Syncios, which are managers with many users. I recommend you give it a try.
2018-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules