When suddenly... BEES!!!!
1962 16 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

So I took my Mavic out today to go see a friend's house, when after about 45 seconds I notice BEES!

I drove around, trying to get away but I realized it didn't matter, wherever I went, MORE BEES.

I adjusted focus towards the end and you can see a few of them pretty well. I also must have killed a few because I had BEE guts all over the Mavic afterwards.

If you want to skip straight to the beeeeeeesssss, go to around the 50 second mark.

2017-7-3
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Probably the sound of the Mavic attracted the bees...
2017-7-3
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

My first fly, mavic was surrounded by bees, they followed him every ware and on landing he killed some
2017-7-3
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

It's very common.  Here's good thread from last month.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=98882
2017-7-4
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

around my neck of the woods people are mostly believe that the smell of petrol sets the bees into a frenzy - i was not always so convinced - drones are of course run on battery so i am thinking more it is the noise that freaks them out, perhaps something they perceive as a threat to defend against?
2017-7-4
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Either bees or bumblebees or these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombus_pascuorum

They consider the Mavic an intruder and attack it in an effort to defend their nest.  They will actually fly into the propellers sacrificing themselves.
Your Mavic still looks clean compared to what happened to mine.
It took me well over half an hour to clean the debris of those insects off of my Mavic. Thankfully I flew it with the plastic gimbal cover in place.
2017-7-4
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

Birds Bees and Trees
2017-7-5
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

It happens to me as well.  It may not be right thing but first I hover a sec or 2, then go up and down fdoew times quick few quick then a few quick manuvers and land . An yes also bee guts all over
2017-7-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I haven't had a chance to test it, but have seen other post to just climb.  It makes sense to me.  I don't know how high they will go, but I'll pull the limits and push it if necessary.  They aren't going to climb forever or climb and make a horizontal run.  Out climb them, move over a few hundred feet, and then come down.  That's what I'll do . . . . . . . but will it work?  Who knows?

As for Bees, Birds, and Trees, the bees are the only ones that won't kill your drone.  They just want to.

2017-7-5
Use props
SRO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2405174 ft
Switzerland

A dirty flight. Please wash :-)
2017-7-10
Use props
Velospinner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 532671 ft
  • >>>

Today I went out for a short flight. During take-off one single bee was flying directly from the ground to my platinum, where it was blown away by the downwash. Not thinking much about it, it's springtime!, I flew around a little bit. During this time the bee must have alerted some of her friends. Upon landing 10-20 bees were attacking the aircraft, that was still 2-3 meters above the ground. After landing the bees disappeared. Must be the noise that sets them off, or the flickering of the props in the sunlight.

No traces of victims found
2018-3-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Very common
2018-3-25
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I imagine  Angry Bees are better then Angry Birds anytime.  
Here in Arizona killer bees are a common problem. They will attack anything dark and noisy .

Liked your Skin.
2018-3-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

From the looks of it your Mavic won over bees.
2018-3-25
Use props
astrofly
First Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

Mavic is a big bee Birds are more dangerous. Good luck
2018-3-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bees do love drones! Good vid!
2018-3-25
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

Since I originally posted, I'd been attacked by bees in the air probably 5 times. One time I even ended up with a crack in a propeller.
2018-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules