compass calibration with camera attached or without?
1858 9 2015-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
miragecy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690197 ft
Cyprus

Hi guys, I've always wondering about this and didn't find any information. User manual does not clarify either. As I see, gimbal motors work hard during the calibration process, but doing it without the camera, is it wise? Is it necesary for the gimbal to be a part of this process? Tahoe Ed I'd like to hear from you as well?

Thank you
Andy
2015-3-18
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

Hey Andy, I have wondered about this as well yet I keep forgetting to ask the question. It concerns me everytime I calibrate because you can feel the gimbal stress during the process.

Hope we can get an answer.
2015-3-19
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please calibrate with your camera/gimbal attached.  When you calibrate it is important to have the craft in ready to fly condition.  The camera/gimbal is part of that especially since it resides below the compass.  I am not sure if or how much interference that it could add but I would like to know that it is accounted for.  I always calibrate with the gimbal attached.
2015-3-19
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Why fly without the camera? It acts as an additional pair of eyes in flight. It is easy to make mistakes on judging distance to objects like trees etc from any range, the camera can give more intimate feedback to how close you may be. Also, you could lose sight of the aircraft and still know where it is because you can see it. Just my thoughts. Oh and one more thing, if you are worried about crashing and breaking the camera perhaps a cheaper quad is in the cards.
2015-3-19
Use props
miragecy
lvl.3
Cyprus

Thanks Tahoe_Ed, I always calibrate with the camera attached and for sure now I will keep doing it that way.
Dangair, nobody said flying the inspire without the camera, I was speaking only about compass calibration

Andy
2015-3-19
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just hear the gimbal  going crazy and trying to "fight" me turning the craft.
2015-3-19
Use props
inspire1flyer.g
New

United States

For those worried about the gimbal compensation during compass cal, put your gimbal into FPV mode and it reduces the gimbal comp. then after you complete  the process you can switch back to your preferred gimbal mode.
2015-3-19
Use props
miragecy
lvl.3
Cyprus

inspire1flyer.g I think that's an excellent sugestion How come I did not think of it?
2015-3-19
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

miragecy Posted at 2015-3-20 15:07
inspire1flyer.g I think that's an excellent sugestion  How come I did not think of it?

let me know if this works any better. I will be getting my inspire back from DJI soon.
2015-3-19
Use props
miragecy
lvl.3
Cyprus

Mkell_CA_SF.BAY Posted at 2015-3-20 15:15
let me know if this works any better. I will be getting my inspire back from DJI soon.

I will, as soon as I fly. Right now the weather in Cyprus is bad with lots of winds
2015-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules