Is Gimbal needed for Compass Calibration?
2104 25 2015-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
muscleflex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325243 ft

United Kingdom

I would like to apologize now for those who are on rcgroups as well as I asked this yesterday but I need official confirmation please if I can get that here

I just want to know if the gimbal is necessary and needs to be attached during compass calibration? The gimbal fights your movement when you're turning and it kinda seems pointless having the gimbal during this step. I could be doing damage to the gimbal motor as it fights and hits the end stops.

If it is needed - wouldn't it be sensible to lock the gimbal in software during compass calibration?

Thanks
2015-3-18
Use props
hykdesign
lvl.1

South Korea

I would also be glad to have an answer to this question...does anybody have a clue?
2015-3-18
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

No.... not necessary but if you do it without it attached, you will have to do it again when you attach it since the gimbal is made of metal, has magnets in it ans is in close proximity to the Inspire!
2015-3-18
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Why would I need to do it again? the calibration has already been stored? Manual states do not calibrate in close proximity to metal or such objects..
2015-3-18
Use props
AegisFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12372 ft
United States

You should calibrate with it configured as it will be when flying.
2015-3-18
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

AegisFC Posted at 2015-3-18 22:06
You should calibrate with it configured as it will be when flying.

I would have to agree with you on this. Everything changes when yo fly with or without. Same thing as Ballast on a boat or submarine. On a Submarine the Ballast tanks are constantly on the move to keep the trim of the Boat. In regard to the Gimbal being on or off it is not just a matter of the metal in the object, it is also the weight. I know it is not much but, hold a compass in your hand and tilt it a bit and watch the slight movement in the orientation of the needle.
2015-3-18
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

If this is the case... then Someone from DJI SHOULD program a lock when performing a compass calibration as I don't like the sound of the gimbal banging when it's hitting the end stops of its travel
2015-3-18
Use props
AegisFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12372 ft
United States

muscleflex Posted at 2015-3-18 22:25
If this is the case... then Someone from DJI SHOULD program a lock when performing a compass calibra ...

when it's powered on, it shouldn't be freely moving and "banging" around.  Try to be more delicate as it's a delicate piece of equipment....not a dumbbell.
2015-3-18
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

This makes no sence ... I would say that the gimbal does not effect the compass what so ever !
2015-3-18
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

w1der Posted at 2015-3-19 02:58
This makes no sence ... I would say that the gimbal does not effect the compass what so ever !

In that case (and you understand how electronic magnetometers work)... Go ahead as you see fit. Nobody stopping you....it's your Inspire.
2015-3-18
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I'll test this out this weekend and will report back. I really dont like the camera getting banged around even if i moved ever so gently when doing compass calibration. Shame there's no official DJI staff who knows and can definitely verify.
2015-3-19
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-19 03:06
In that case (and you understand how electronic magnetometers work)... Go ahead as you see fit. No ...

If it did ... Wouldnt there be a problem as soon as it was mounted on the bird !?
I dont see how making the calibration would solve that problem (if it was a problem).

Im not sure of anything ... Just using logic assumptions ...

2015-3-19
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

muscelflex.I always uplug my gimbal.Leave the props off,camera guard on and calibrate her successfully.With the props off,go through a a small transmitter test.Looking for any obvious sighns interference issues.If everything responds to command,power down p2,Plug up gimbal,remove gimbal lock.Power up p2 and get to filming.I am assuming that you're using a zenmuse H3-3D gimbal.I have no input pertaining to p2 vision models.
2015-3-19
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

w1der Posted at 2015-3-19 19:44
If it did ... Wouldnt there be a problem as soon as it was mounted on the bird !?
I dont see how  ...

This is kinda how I read it as well but I just didn't want to keep talking about it as really needed an official statement but I guess nothing.
But you're right - as soon as the camera is plugged in, it should create a problem based on the original response..
2015-3-19
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Michael Starley Posted at 2015-3-19 19:50
muscelflex.I always uplug my gimbal.Leave the props off,camera guard on and calibrate her successful ...

I'm using an Inspire. Not phantom )
2015-3-19
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

I have never tried it with an inspire.
2015-3-19
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

muscleflex Posted at 2015-3-19 19:59
This is kinda how I read it as well but I just didn't want to keep talking about it as really need ...

It says nothing in the manual that you need to recalibrate the compass due to flying with or without the camera mounted!
I do both and I only recalibrate compass when changing locations ... !

As of now I am more puzzled about the disscharge of the battery below 20% ... I can not find this in the manual.
2015-3-19
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Lipos in general should never be discharged past 20%... I have set my inspire to warn me at 40% and critical at 30% (I fly helis and this is the rule we go by.. so I'm sticking to it. I have 3 batteries and a generator if I want to fly more but I doubt it as I have my heli too which I would want to fly more than the inspire)
2015-3-19
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ooh I can't edit my post?
I meant to say we don't let our lipos go below 20% but I want to be safe with the Inspire as batteries are expensive hence my 40% warning. 30% critical so I have enough to come back in case I'm far away.
2015-3-19
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

muscleflex Posted at 2015-3-19 22:00
Ooh I can't edit my post?
I meant to say we don't let our lipos go below 20% but I want to be safe w ...

So ... What is this with discharging the battery to below 8% !?

When and why ?
2015-3-19
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

w1der Posted at 2015-3-19 20:07
It says nothing in the manual that you need to recalibrate the compass due to flying with or witho ...

Page 22 of the manual (bottom of the page).
Complete discharge down to approx 5% is necessary every so often to enable accurate calibration of the battery capacity monitor.
2015-3-19
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

So ... How do I discharge to 5% without going below 20% ?
2015-3-19
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

w1der Posted at 2015-3-20 01:57
So ... What is this with discharging the battery to below 8% !?

When and why ?

I have no idea... but these batteries have smart monitors built in so I guess we have to listen. we use plain lipos for helis so it's up to us to look after them.. Hopefully the DJI smart monitor knows what it's doing.

This is my first dji with smart batteries. my Phantom was the v1.1.1 and it still used plain 3s lipo (but I have a really good PL8 charger that can monitor)
2015-3-20
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

I don't know if this would work but have you tried calibrating the compass with the camera in first person view? I'm guessing this would stop the camera movements?
2015-3-20
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Tahoe-Ed says

"Please calibrate with your camera/gimbal attached.  When you calibrate it is important to have the craft in ready to fly condition.  The camera/gimbal is part of that especially since it resides below the compass.  I am not sure if or how much interference that it could add but I would like to know that it is accounted for.  I always calibrate with the gimbal attached."

And apparently putting camera in FPV before calibration does work.

Happy flying peeps
2015-3-20
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hmm - you might have a workaround with the FPV mode... I'll try it..
2015-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules