1234Next >
5593 126 2017-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
usera1ba83e4bc
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 02:12
There is obviously a glitch in the system, it's not the same for everyone. Maybe it's time for some explanation from dji or at least confirmation from moderators here that the problem exists and something is been done about it. I won't hold my breath.

Ok folks...can I take this opportunity to ask a couple of Q's?  I just returned an unopened NIB P4+ back to the merchant because of all I'm reading in here.  Can someone give it to me straight?

1.  If I get the P4 (not +), and an Ipad 4 mini using Litche, will I have the same login issues?  I was reading the Litchi app description/update and it says that it "logs into DJI for you".  So regardless of what app/phone/device you use, seems to me the login issue will alwys exist...no?

2.  Referring to question #1.  I was sold on the idea of the 2x brighter screen of the P4+.  But now I'm looking at getting the Ipad mini with P4 (not +).  Do I need a wifi/cellular Ipad mini?  Or just a wifi mini to operate the P4

3. I feel a little disappointed in myself for jumping the gun and returning the P4+ solely based on what I read in these forums.  Did I make a mistake or did I do right to switch gears and opt for the P4.  Or should I just bag the whole idea.  I have to say that logging in from ANY app to fly just rubs me the wrong way...not to mention having all flight data recorded for future use by who knows who.  Can someone give me a fair opinion as to whether I should pursue this.  I'm blown away by the video these units put out which is why I ordered one in the first place.

Thanks.
2017-7-6
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

@usera1ba83e4bc

Take note that if you fly while using a third party software, your warranty will not be in effect.

I would recommend a WiFi and Cellular tablet, due to DJI forcing you to login now and then. There is not WiFi coverage everywhere (nor cellular, but it is more probable).

All the logging and forcing users to login with e-mail, saving data, timestamps, and who nows what, is definatelly not good and against privacy. It will be interesting to see what happens when GDPR gets in effect next year in Europe.

In general, the hardware is pretty good. But recent months I've found that firmware/software updates are more buggy, and communication with the customers seems more or less down to 0. Be aware that if you buy a specific DJI product today, after a firmware or software update, it can be less functional. Also terms of use can change often, forcing updates, and thus forcing you to accept these new terms of use if you still want to use the product you have bought.

2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

usera1ba83e4bc Posted at 2017-7-6 02:48
Ok folks...can I take this opportunity to ask a couple of Q's?  I just returned an unopened NIB P4+ back to the merchant because of all I'm reading in here.  Can someone give it to me straight?

1.  If I get the P4 (not +), and an Ipad 4 mini using Litche, will I have the same login issues?  I was reading the Litchi app description/update and it says that it "logs into DJI for you".  So regardless of what app/phone/device you use, seems to me the login issue will alwys exist...no?

If you get P4+ you will only need to login once, there seems to be a problem of late that some were having problems with logging in, I believe there was or is some glitch in dji system and I'm sure for those who had problems obviously very annoying. I expect it to be sorted soon we shal see. Advantage of P4Pro + brighter screen, disadvantage you can't use third party apps it's $300 more expensive and for $150 extra you probably would be advised to purchase crystalsky with P4Pro.

For P4 pro you don't need cellular except if you need to use maps but you can always use it as hotspot with your phone, using mini iPad you have the option of using third party apps.

Regarding your data being stored, you do have data protection law to cover you just as you do with phones laptops etc, so unless you've been hiding on another planet somewhere. It's probably impossible to escape all media gathering data. And this is where we all have to trust the data protection laws to cover us.
2017-7-6
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Regarding data protection laws, it is handled differently in different countries. So if a Chinese company says that it is protecting the data for you (for instance a UK citizen), it does not necessarily mean that the Chinese company is handling the data according to UK privacy laws for you.

According to EU, China does not have an adequate level of protection.

As for WiFi/cellular, you don't *need* cellular for using the drone, you can do it the Hotspot way as hallmark007 wrote. However, I do find it much easier and quicker to have cellular on the tablet, hence my recommendation.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rob W Posted at 2017-7-6 03:24
@usera1ba83e4bc

Take note that if you fly while using a third party software, your warranty will not be in effect.

Total misinformation, your warranty will not be covered as a direct result of using third party apps.

Your-warranty WILL be covered if your aircraft malfunctions whether using dji go or third party apps.
2017-7-6
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

usera1ba83e4bc Posted at 2017-7-6 02:48

Do not get the + version of any DJI quad at this point. Get the version with the controller that allows you to use your device of choice. The plus versions will greatly limit you.
2017-7-6
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rob W Posted at 2017-7-6 03:24
@usera1ba83e4bc

Third party software does not automatically void your warranty. DJI has been clear about that.

Edit: Repeat of what hallmark007 said.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-6 03:28
Imagine if, long after you purchased your automobile,  the manufacturer declared "For safety you will only be able to start the vehicle after connecting to company servers via internet & receiving official authorization to operate the vehicle."

In comparison thousands die each year in vehicular accidents.  Killed in drone incidents...ZERO.

If you compare automobiles to drones. It looks very embarrassing for automobiles.

Zero is good?
2017-7-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-6 03:10
You missed my point of there being no evidence a drone was actually anywhere in the vicinity,  just as occurred  in the infamous Heathrow  incident.

The famous Heathrow incident did not shut down a runway as far as I remember. So that would seem to suggest the airport controllers had a high level of confidence in the report of a 'Drone' being present before talking such action on two occasions on Sunday at Gatwick, or could it have been the same carrier bag in both instances ?

Just because there is no immediate evidence does not mean that it did not happen, I'm sure you would agree it is quite possible.

Either way it will probably not be good news for Quad pilots in the UK.
2017-7-6
Use props
usera1ba83e4bc
lvl.3
United States

I appreciate the responses.  I was considering a combo package from Amazon (Beach Camera) with extra battery, backpack, sd cards etc. The Ipad mini 4 wifi only would be in addition to that.  It will come out to about the same price as the combo P4 I just sent back.  The wifi only is $355 where the wifi/cellular is $600.  That sends this idea over the top.  I'm not a big cellphonatic as I barely even use the Samsung I have.  And it's too smal/darkl to use as a screen for the P4 pro.  So this is why I was wondering about whether I need cell to fly....i'm rambling and still confused as to what to do....first world problems, I'll tell ya  
2017-7-6
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-6 03:16
From the article posted by your compadre...

what my "compadre" (???)  posted was something different:http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40476264
gatwick.png
2017-7-6
Use props
ImFly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164081 ft
United States

User,
You do not need to have wifi or cellular to fly. Period. I fly My P4 with my mini i pad 4. This seems to be a good set up.

I would not get the P4+ because you would be married to drone with that set up and the updates. Just my opinion.
2017-7-6
Use props
usera1ba83e4bc
lvl.3
United States

ImFly Posted at 2017-7-6 05:28
User,
You do not need to have wifi or cellular to fly. Period. I fly My P4 with my mini i pad 4. This seems to be a good set up.

Thanks for the info.  I guess my intuition is telling me the same.  Appreciate it.
2017-7-6
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

usera1ba83e4bc Posted at 2017-7-6 05:12
I appreciate the responses.  I was considering a combo package from Amazon (Beach Camera) with extra battery, backpack, sd cards etc. The Ipad mini 4 wifi only would be in addition to that.  It will come out to about the same price as the combo P4 I just sent back.  The wifi only is $355 where the wifi/cellular is $600.  That sends this idea over the top.  I'm not a big cellphonatic as I barely even use the Samsung I have.  And it's too smal/darkl to use as a screen for the P4 pro.  So this is why I was wondering about whether I need cell to fly....i'm rambling and still confused as to what to do....first world problems, I'll tell ya

If having constantly updated maps is not important to you (or if you can share the internet connection from another mobile device you have) then having mobile access on your "controller" device is not important. I can tether my iPad or my Android tablets to my mobile phone via a hot spot but I almost never find the need to do so. Maps are not important to me. The times when out in the field I have needed internet access to either download an update or to gain access to a particular airspace, I have just turned on my hot spot temporarily and I was ready to fly within a few minutes tops.
2017-7-6
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ImFly Posted at 2017-7-6 05:28
User,

Great opinion, and I share it!
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-5 05:16
when you will stop acting like a first grader...

When will you stop chastising people, what are you a school teacher.
2017-7-6
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-7-6 04:17
Third party software does not automatically void your warranty. DJI has been clear about that.

Edit: Repeat of what hallmark007 said.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. To my understanding, if you fly with Litchi, and an accident happen due to a bug in Litchi, it might not go under DJI warranty. More in post #25 from DJI-Ken in this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-72083-1-1.html. It's a case by case situation. If you want to be sure about warranty, DJI Go is recommended.

A third party app won't void the warranty in whole, though, so if you fly fine with Litchi 9 times, and at the 10 flight you use DJI GO and the drone crashes and it's not your fault, warranty should cover it.

2017-7-6
Use props
fans9a0492f2
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rob W Posted at 2017-7-6 05:51
Sorry, I should have been more clear. To my understanding, if you fly with Litchi, and an accident happen due to a bug in Litchi, it might not go under DJI warranty. More in post #25 from DJI-Ken in this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-72083-1-1.html. It's a case by case situation. If you want to be sure about warranty, DJI Go is recommended.

A third party app won't void the warranty in whole, though, so if you fly fine with Litchi 9 times, and at the 10 flight you use DJI GO and the drone crashes and it's not your fault, warranty should cover it.

It's very seldom crashes are caused by the app, usually hardware loss of gps compass problems etc.
It doesn't matter which app you use if aircraft malfunctions you are covered by warranty.
2017-7-6
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 06:06
It's very seldom crashes are caused by the app, usually hardware loss of gps compass problems etc.
It doesn't matter which app you use if aircraft malfunctions you are covered by warranty.

Correct, if it is hardware fault, for instance an ESC failing, DJI warranty will cover it no matter what app you are using.

But it is worth to mention that DJI warranty is not applicable if using a third party software if a crash happens due to a bug in that software.

And, it might be difficult to prove that it is not a software bug but a hardware fault/firmware bug or something like that, if it is for some reason difficult to get information (logs) about the crash when using a third party software.

Some fly only with third party software, for instance 3D mapping, so one should be aware of that.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans9a0492f2 Posted at 2017-7-6 06:43
Did you jailbreak your Mavic yet? There is a hacked GO software that prevents this-as well as allowing the modifiable parameters, unlimited altitude, etc- works on Mavic and P4Pro.

This is a P4P thread though.

Thread is very relevant to all P4'S and Mavic . And for those who's craft are grounded dji need to answer is this going to get sorted soon.
2017-7-6
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-4 16:38
Not at all - he'd release the iPhantom, and it'd come in different colours (umm, like the Spark?). The iPhantom would no doubt also be able to respond to voice command to direct you to the closest Thai restaurant, as well as flash it's LEDs to tell you when you have incoming mail on your tablet. Steve would innovate droning forever !!

Oh, and recognising the power of the customer, and how fickle they are if you don't give them what they want, he'd over-haul DJI's communication channels and sack most of the Executive for failing to see that.

With S. Jobs running the company? Well, lets see.

Wouldnt be able to modify anything as Steve really liked everything in a "Closed Box".
If you complain about range or lack of it you are holding it wrong.

2017-7-6
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rob W Posted at 2017-7-6 05:51

That is correct. If the 3rd party software caused the issues, then your warranty will not cover damages. However, even if you're flying with 3rd party software when an error occurs, DJI will still honor your warranty if it was DJI's fault and not the fault of the third party software. A simple example would be that DJI's hardware failed while flying with Litchi, as not result of a Litchi flaw.

Edit: Damn it! Again, see what hallmark007 said.
2017-7-6
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rob W Posted at 2017-7-6 06:28
Correct, if it is hardware fault, for instance an ESC failing, DJI warranty will cover it no matter what app you are using.

But it is worth to mention that DJI warranty is not applicable if using a third party software if a crash happens due to a bug in that software.

What you say about difficulty of proof without having access to logs (due to not being able to recover the AC) is 100% accurate.
2017-7-6
Use props
fans20b4b055
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-7-4 14:56
I guess we all agree that DJI makes some fantastic products but is lacking big time on customer service/repair service/support.
Don't know if this is some Chinese communist attitude or if they are just incredibly overwhelmed by demand.

Speaking of customer service - I've just gotten the same incorrect and irrelevant response to a question I posed almost a month ago from a "support" person. I told them to please stop harassing me. No one seems to be running that department.. maybe just a bunch of free lancers? Oh, I should also mention that I was sent a shade for an Inspire controller by mistake (I have a P4P). I was not charged for it and have been trying to get an RMA to return it for three weeks. I was told
1. You must get PayPal to prove that it was a fradulent shipment (??)
2. The representative handling your ticket is not in today (2 weeks ago).
3. ...  (which indicates there was no reponse to five other emails)

Anyway, gonna sell it on ebay or maybe give it to the first Inspire user who wants it. I"ll even pay shipping to get rid of it!!
Lack of training is what I think the cause is...

2017-7-6
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-5 02:11
Did you actively contact DJI about your alleged problems, or did you expect them to actually read your rants in the forum?  Anyway, I never experienced a problem flying my P4P, but then I do things (updates, using the correct cables when needed, making sure I have internet connection where I go, just in case, and the like -and you actually had wifi connection) like they are supposed to be done... but it is always easier to blame somebody else for one's own failures...

Whoa!!! Hold your horses, Brother Antonio ... Do you really believe that "making sure I have the internet connection where I go" is the habit you're responsible for? This approach is undermining the most vital aspect of aerial photography these drones are designed for, my friend. That is the most vital and the only reason I've spend +/- 12G so far on DJI drones and accessories ... I take a drone, I go into mountains and valleys and I want to capture the beauty of places ... If its doesn't work there, than I'm a bit frustrated ...
2017-7-6
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

I agree, Dobmatt. I have I customer (a large mining company) for which I sold a 3D mapping solution based on a DJI drone. Out in the fields they have no WiFi, and where they fly, the phone data connection is really bad (works sometimes, sometimes not).

It's one thing to be in the suburb and fly in your back yard with full WiFi and cellular cover. It is another thing if you drive maybe an hour or more to a mining operation out in the woods, with mountains around and no WiFi nor cellular connection, and find you can't fly the mapping mission due to the app needs you to login.

There might be a good intention with the need to login, to make sure everything is updated. But it should not hinder the function of the product itself, making it unusable. Good intentions can sometimes be badly executed.
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

JockC Posted at 2017-7-5 17:37
DJI Joe,
I think we all realise that you and other DJI reps have also been left in the dark when it comes to explanations of some of the issues being faced by multiple users and I think we all feel some sympathy for your situation but you're the only people we can turn to.

Thanks for voicing your concern. I again agree on all points. As I said, I'm currently working on a way to open communication lines between the team back in HQ and the users (and mods) here.
2017-7-6
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

It needs to be and should have been from the get-go that it is the pilots responsibility and not the manufacturer to impose such restrictions. Aside from the Inspire and higher level drones, all others are sold as consumer toys and not commercial equipment and should be treated as such. Sadly, we see this in the automotive and boating community too where manufacturers put limiters in vehicles to cap speed for "safety" reason.... Big Box companies should not forget that we can still build our own drones and though they may not have the same specs, we could still fly where ever and whenever we please.
2017-7-6
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-6 05:31
Scroll down a little.  That's where I saw the "12,500'" claim...

oops.... my bad, didn't scroll down.    12500 ft, might have been a Kamov Ka-137...  
2017-7-6
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-7-5 09:43
Note: OP was temp banned for offensive content, not simply for bringing up issues he has with his P4P+ and DJI in general.

Hi

Not sure what he did, where and why but could you please ban people in another way so not everything they have posted can't be read, it is quite irritating the way it is now.

Best Regards
2017-7-6
Use props
fansb051060d
lvl.1

United States

There is a user here by the name of "Hummingbird". Here is what he recently rattled to the authorities. It is Drone Police Turds like him that cause issues.

My message to him: stop insulting people with claims of only 500ft altitude. People are going over 10,000ft. Get your facts straight!!
2017-7-6
Use props
fansb051060d
lvl.1

United States

Hummingbird
2017-7-6
Use props
fansb051060d
lvl.1

United States

Thanks "Hummingbird"!
IMG_4043.JPG
2017-7-6
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-7-6 08:31
Thanks for voicing your concern. I again agree on all points. As I said, I'm currently working on a way to open communication lines between the team back in HQ and the users (and mods) here.

Thank you, Joe! I understand it must be frustrating for you forum admins, too.
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

KEDDK Posted at 2017-7-6 09:02
Hi

Not sure what he did, where and why but could you please ban people in another way so not everything they have posted can't be read, it is quite irritating the way it is now.

Unfortunately there is no other way. I agree with you that it stifles conversations and is frustrating.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-7-5 15:25
Note that you can't see deleted posts.

I have been enlightened, please accept my apologies.
2017-7-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb051060d Posted at 2017-7-6 09:16
There is a user here by the name of "Hummingbird". Here is what he recently rattled to the authorities. It is Drone Police Turds like him that cause issues.

My message to him: stop insulting people with claims of only 500ft altitude. People are going over 10,000ft. Get your facts straight!!

So is this a confession as to how stupid some people can be ?
2017-7-6
Use props
fansb051060d
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-6 15:13
So is this a confession as to how stupid some people can be ?

Like DJI:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_ ... army-of-diy-hackers
2017-7-7
Use props
Trump
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139295 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-4 22:23
You obviously know everything there is to know about the state of the drone market these days.
So come on and tell me which other maker makes anything half as good as a P4 pro?

Absolutely not, I don't. Just making an observation. DJI has let people down, and they don't care. Anything I can do to stop DJI from interfering with the control of my Quad I will do. They may have the best hardware currently, but they won't forever.

Once upon a time, there was a buggy manufacturer that manufactured the best buggy in the world. You seem like a pretty smart guy, I don't think I need to say anymore.
2017-7-7
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules