descending and turning off motors
2304 12 2015-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Instead of pushing the two control sticks down and in, I always just hold throttle down to turn off motors once landed . . . .

I'm always completely freaked out when trying to descend quickly that my motors will turn off mid descent . . . lol, that's why I always descend with the throttle only half way (and yes it seems to take forever) . . . I always worry a quick miscalculation by the inspire will make it think its on the ground and shut the motors off if I'm full throttle descending . . . anyone else find themselves doing this?  or am I the only one on the wussy bus?
2015-3-18
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I share your concern however, I would be willing to bet that DJI has thought about that issue considering that they have thought of everything else. I would think that one of the sensors on the bottom of the Inspire would prevent that from happening. Consider the fact that it controls the evolution of lowering the  legs from a predetermined height from the landing surface.
2015-3-18
Use props
muscleflex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325243 ft

United Kingdom

It's bad practice (flying-wise) anyway to descend really fast - ie pulling your throttle stick all the way down. Unless you're flying a heli and doing 3D moves.
A friend of mine (using an APM FC) once switched his motors off when flying.. good thing he had good height and managed to restart his motors.
2015-3-18
Use props
lucaoms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

hello
for me this function (bringing the two sticks in the corners at the same time) is used for the certification Civil Aviation National
is considered a security feature, for example, if I am going to have a fly away, I can stop the engine immediately
2015-3-18
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

lucaoms Posted at 2015-3-18 21:24
hello
for me this function (bringing the two sticks in the corners at the same time) is used for the ...

Wouldn't anyone agree that a dedicated button that one needs to push and hold, (like RTH) would be a much better solution for shutting down the motors then having a small handful of guys accidently move the sticks to the no-no position crashing their 4k bird into whatever happens to be in the way?
2015-3-18
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

Well, this point and CSC has already been discussed in another thread.
I'm a bit freaked, too when descending a little faster. It may be a bad practice (flying-wise) to descend fast, but anyway holding the throttle stick to down-position in mid flight should not cut off the motors. I'd definitely prefer a different way to shut down the motors (e.g. throttle stick full down and holding C1 or C2 for a couple of seconds).
I completely agree that it must be in some way possible to shut down the motors in mid flight in case of emergency. BUT it also should NOT be possible to do this accidentally by principle, indipendently if you are a beginner or expert pilot.

Compare this with a car. Bad practice or not, the engine should not shut down when you release the accelerator pedal.

2015-3-18
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is my understanding that pulling the throttle down as far as it will go, will not shut the motors off in mid-air. The CSC however will, and that is even a requirement in some countries.
2015-3-18
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Germany

amorrison Posted at 2015-3-19 01:33
It is my understanding that pulling the throttle down as far as it will go, will not shut the motors ...

My common sense tells me the same (the simulator confirms it), but does it behave this way in real life?
Anybody can confirm this?  Or who has the guts to test it?

2015-3-19
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

It wont shut of the motors ... But this manouver is not recommended any ways as you risk going in to "Vortex Ring State" (discussed in another thread in this forum) ...
2015-3-19
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Germany

w1der Posted at 2015-3-20 02:21
It wont shut of the motors ...

Tested or guessed?
2015-3-19
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Tested ... Got alot of "wobble" from it !
2015-3-19
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Germany

w1der Posted at 2015-3-20 02:31
Tested ... Got alot of "wobble" from it !

Cool! Let's hope that DJI does not change that in future FW updates without warning!
2015-3-19
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

I"ve pulled the throttle all the way down a few times and never had the engine shut off. However, I won't even touch the other stick when I do that out of the same fear we all have. Now, crazy question. If they do shut off mid air can you turn them back on doing the same thing? Who has the guts to test that one out?  I sure don't! lol
2015-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules