On a positive note
1320 15 2015-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I recieved my Inspire 1 about a week ago and because of a little thing called "work" I was not able to start playing with it until yesterday. I had unpacked it, looked it over and charged the batteries, then could only just look at it on the work bench. I have followed this forum everyday, reading about all the problems people were having and worrying that I would have the same problems or was it going to fly straight into my barn or fly away as soon as I took off?????
Now I'm not a tech kind of person so all this talk about downloading and uploading firmware and ALL the problems that came with it had me a bit freaked!!
Well yesterday morning I sat down a said it's now or never!
Following "Dundee's" flow chart like a bible I got started. I downloaded the latest firmware onto the card that came in the camera as well as onto a data stick (the guy at Future Shop said it was the fastest I could get) that done.
I put the card back into the camera and turned on the Inspire 1. Now I was expecting long process so I started a stop watch to see how long this nightmare lasted. Are you ready for this?? 3 minutes, 48 seconds. I put the card back in the reader and there it was "SUCCESSFULL" wow.  I deleted the text file and put the card "in a card reader" into the Master Controller and turned it on (praying I wasn't turning it into a brick) everything was going just as "Dundee" said it would. While the Master was busy beeping away I put the data stick into the Slave Controller an turned it on, and it started doing it's beeping.
Well the slave finished first (4 min. 16 sec.) then the Master finished (6 min. 39 sec) both cards said "SUCCESSFULL" I deleted the text file & firmware file on the card and just the text file on the data stick.
After calibating the IMU and then the compass doing a complete & thorough pre-flight check I was ready (nervous as a nat, but ready).
In "ATTI" mode I took off and hovered about 3 ft off the ground. The bird was completely solid, never difted an inch, just sat there waiting. Landing gear up and I was off. All I can say is WOW, it flies like nothing I've flown before. good manors, very responssive to my commands. Only thing wrong, I NEED MORE BATTERIES. flight time with just two batteries is why too short!!!
Thank "Dundee" for all the fantastic advise and that flow chart. Without it I'm not sure I could have done it alone. Thank you
And Thank you to everyone who took the time to post all the great info here.
And thank you DJI for an amazing Bird. The INSPIRE 1 Rocks

Fred D.

2015-3-18
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

I think  "Dundee" or I call him in my mind *Crocodile Dundee* will be pleased with the showing of gratitude
And it sure go's a long way.
2015-3-18
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

Welcome to this fantastic Inspire 1 world!
I proceded almost exactly as you did and voilà... the first lift off was... OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG..!!! (in the positive sense)
2015-3-18
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

OK ... can you point me towards that flow chart, please?
2015-3-18
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Happy Trails!!
2015-3-18
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Canada

msjh Posted at 2015-3-19 01:08

I don't know how to link to it but it's on this forum in a number of threads
2015-3-18
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Fred D Posted at 2015-3-19 01:57
I don't know how to link to it but it's on this forum in a number of threads

Hi Fred

I've looked through quite  a few and also tried the search function, which shows nothing.

Could you please just name one thread?

Many thanks
2015-3-18
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Fred.  Great story.  I find myself in exactly the same boat as you.  I received my Inspire 1 on Monday and have done everything you have done.  Work too is preventing me from taking my first flight.  So weather permitting, I will be taking to the air for the first time on Friday.
All the best.

Cheers.

Jason
2015-3-18
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

msjh Posted at 2015-3-19 01:08

If Dundee does't Post it again I have it on another computer and I'll try to send it tonight if I remember that is! He did a great job with it, a very nice post. He is quite a guy.
2015-3-18
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Hear Hear!
I concur with the OP on the experience of being a new Inspire owner.
In my case with only the single standard battery however - flight time way too short!

Have seen the syndrome of initial GPS dropout and switch to Atti, but all comes good in a minute or so and it's rock steady from then for the rest of the flight. Before purchase, I took the time to gain skill on the sticks, precisely to have a manual flight ability and to be able to catch it when needed.

Early days, but as a stills shooter, the jump to capturing video is proving to be the big learning curve, and I'm loving every minute of it!

BTW, the sound this thing makes when making a sharp, banked 180 turn with plenty of forward pitch is just freaking AWESOME!

2x TB48's and an extra charger in my hands right now.. Let's go flying!!!
2015-3-18
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Canada

The only thing I have noticed is it seems to like to wonder around in little circles when I first take off, if I take off to about 10 to 12 feet right away. If I take off to about 4 ft and hold for a few seconds, it seems to get it's bearings and all is fine from then on. I have experienced GPS loss while holding position and she drifted a little, but I never take my eyes off her, so I catch it right away. I fly, my wife takes pictures. A combo that should keep me out of trouble when it comes to GPS loss.  As the pilot my first priority is to the safe operation of the craft.
I LOVE THIS THING
2015-3-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Fred D Posted at 2015-3-19 13:29
The only thing I have noticed is it seems to like to wonder around in little circles when I first ta ...

Just remember the golden rules
1. If you can't fly in ATTI ( high wind ) do t fly.
2. Leave no page unchecked ( do compass cal )
3. Don't forget to turn off wifi on pad and airplane on phone.
4. Do not fly beyond visual range.
2015-3-19
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Oh ... Very important check stick mode, you wouldn't want to get that backwards!
2015-3-19
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Canada

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-19 16:14
Just remember the golden rules
1. If you can't fly in ATTI ( high wind ) do t fly.
2. Leave no pag ...

I"m not new to  RC flying. I fly in ATTI all the time, wind or not. I only use GPS to hold position but still never take eyes off her, except to glance at screen info momentarily. My preflight check list is completed in exactly the same order every time before every flight and after every battery change.
But I agree "if you can't fly in ATTI, don't fly until you can
2015-3-19
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the club.
2015-3-19
Use props
Theo ter Haar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20730951 ft
Netherlands

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-3-19 12:38
Hear Hear!
I concur with the OP on the experience of being a new Inspire owner.
In my case with only ...

I know what you feel, but never forget the scenery behind you.
I "almost" did .
GPS, atti whatever one just need skills 4 this one

enjoy :
2015-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules