1516 0 2017-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantom_menace
lvl.1
Flight distance : 880285 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, I've owned an osmo mobile for 8 months and used it lots- both with an iPhone 7 and a hero 5 mounted in an adapter.

The phone is fun to use but it's just not a serious video platform- runs out of space too easily and then you're stuffed if you're away from wifi! So I've used the GoPro more which has to be honest been very usable, but I found the clunkiness of the setup a bit annoying and so just bought an Osmo + thinking it would be slicker and easier to use, and the added zoom will be v useful.

So my initial thoughts are the device itself is great- takes brilliant footage, and is nice and compact. The reliance on the phone is obviously annoying- as connecting and booting up to start recording is slow and that's the one thing I really thought would be faster. I thought the GoPro setup I had was bad! I'm currently trying standby mode to see if that keeps the setup poised and ready to go without too much battery drain. I also think I'll get used to shooting some types of shots (cycling etc) without the screen so hoping between the two I'll be ok.

But the thing that really annoys me so far is how the osmo batteries charge. For some reason it seems only possible with a mains charger? I really do t get why the whole device can't be charged with USB, without need to remove battery. Reason it's a problem is most of my footage is in remote places, camping etc. I have a car, but no mains. Yes I could get an invertor for the car, but it's just more tech crap to drag around. I'm stumped as to why there are no seoerate USB chargers for the batteries too. The osmo mobile charges with USB and seems to have the same battery.

I also have a mavic drone, so the battery extension etc aren't really an option.

Seems like a pretty basic limitation to me. I overall find the amount of leads,  barbers, batteries etc that my devices use very cumbersome, so I had hoped to streamline it all a bit.

Any suggestions on how I can work around my teeth hing issues?
I already thought about a karma grip as a better option to my setup, so I bought the grip- but that's a serious piece of crap. Literally half the time it couldn't communicate with the GoPro, and the startup was rediculously slow. Total rubbish so it went back and osmo + was ordered.

Any suggestions on ways to charge. I take it plugging my osmo mobile charging Lead into the mic socket would fry it!

2017-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules