iPad Mini 4 = Weak Uplink
692 3 2017-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

Is it possible that an iPad could interfere somehow with the quality of the uplink signal? Once again, today, I performed back to back tests using both iPad and S6 Galaxy mobiles. The same location and remote controller was used for all tests.

First test was a litchi mission to test range. When using the iPad I started losing RC signal at around 350-400m and permanently lost at 520m. The exact same test using the android S6 and never lost signal once during the 720M long mission.

The 2nd test was using DJI Go app. iPad lost connection at 300 and RTH kicked in. I did mange to eventually nurse the drone to a bit short of 500m with multiple disconnects in between. Using the S6 I flew the drone without one disconnect until I hit 956m.

The 3rd test involved a long (16 minutes) Litchi mission. iPad version lost connection at 700m. It didnt come back till the drone was less than 400m from home. The S6 version didnt lose connection until it hit 1412m. Connection was restored around 1330M.

This is not the first time I have been performing these tests. Today was simply to confirm (or duplicate) similar problems in the past. Regardless of where I fly, I can say without reservation that my range when using the iPad is nearly cut in half. How can this be?? I totally understand the neither mobiles actually send the signal to the drone. I am left to wonder though could the iPad itself in some what or another interfere with the RC signal?

Yes, my iPad has Cellular and yes iI have tried test with it on and off. No difference

2017-7-5
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Are the app versions on both devices the same?
2017-7-6
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-7-6 16:54
Are the app versions on both devices the same?

Always the latest Litchi versions since I started testing this back at the end of Feb '17.  Currently, everything is the latest (DJI Go, Litchi, FW for P3S, iOS, Android for S6 Galaxy).

Because neither DJI-Go nor Litchi has any direct control over the RC signal to the drone I am more inclined to look at the possibility of HW interference. Either that or the wifi signal between the iPad and RC is somehow interfering/robbing the RC signal to drone.

To add to the mystery I have two controllers. One with the DBS mod while the other is stock. Regardless which I use the final results are almost always the same. Using the android means I can fly nearly twice the distance of what I get when using the iPad.

2017-7-7
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Bourgeois Posted at 2017-7-7 03:43
Always the latest Litchi versions since I started testing this back at the end of Feb '17.  Currently, everything is the latest (DJI Go, Litchi, FW for P3S, iOS, Android for S6 Galaxy).

Because neither DJI-Go nor Litchi has any direct control over the RC signal to the drone I am more inclined to look at the possibility of HW interference. Either that or the wifi signal between the iPad and RC is somehow interfering/robbing the RC signal to drone.

Strange, I've heard of it before but haven't seen a fix for it. It seems to be a more common issue than you'd think when it comes to using different devices.
2017-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules