Gesture Away & Follow me mode (w/o remote or phone)
2221 13 2017-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

Bear with me..
1) if we trigger the away & follow me mode.

2) Once it fly up and away, what happens if Sparks is not able to lock on to me & recieve further command like beacon it to come back

What is the fail safe for it to come back down?
Will it "timeout" and lower to a height so that it can palm land or land on the ground?
Will it just hover there until it runs out of batter? (not very pratical)

Anyone tried it yet?
2017-7-5
Use props
Interloper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 251824 ft
United Kingdom

This has happened to me. No fail safe. It just hovers there until low battery triggers a RTH or worse a landing. So if you've sent it off a cliff edge or over water you are stuffed. Fortunately mine RTH and landed on grass.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

When you use the palm control without a device connected there is no HomePoint recorded. So there can’t be a rth.
There is a failsafe... It will just land.
Look in the app at the safety warnings for the advanced gesture control when you activate it.

IMG_6635.PNG
2017-7-6
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284770 ft
United States

I ran into a situation the other day , was flying in gesture mode and it was tracking me and just stopped. It was hovering  there and i attempted multiple times to get its attention. No luck. It must have hovered for more than 2 minutes at which point i had to run back to get the remote from the house. When i came back it was still there, and used the remote to bring it back down. Not sure what happened, but i think next time i do gesture mode , i will have either the remote near by or the spark will be binded to the iphone as a back up
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mimus Posted at 2017-7-6 06:49
I ran into a situation the other day , was flying in gesture mode and it was tracking me and just stopped. It was hovering  there and i attempted multiple times to get its attention. No luck. It must have hovered for more than 2 minutes at which point i had to run back to get the remote from the house. When i came back it was still there, and used the remote to bring it back down. Not sure what happened, but i think next time i do gesture mode , i will have either the remote near by or the spark will be binded to the iphone as a back up

It is supposed to descend as the diagram above tells you after 60 seconds , some are saying it lands but information on that is not clear. Maybe a mod will come in and give us correct sequence for when this happens.
2017-7-6
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

i've tested it and can confirm it will try to land.

thx everyone for replying
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-6 15:30
i've tested it and can confirm it will try to land.

thx everyone for replying

Thank you for confirming me.
2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Granted when you're flying in palm control only (not phone/RC)  it makes sense to just hover or land (rather than RTH), since you're not far away.  But what happens if, when it loses palm signal for 60 seconds, if the terrain below is unsuitable for landing?  Does it just hover until critical battery and land anyway?  According to Dirk52, it CAN'T RTH  because it hasn't recorded a home position. Some may not be as lucky as mimus and have a RC stashed nearby.
2017-7-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-9 11:52
Granted when you're flying in palm control only (not phone/RC)  it makes sense to just hover or land (rather than RTH), since you're not far away.  But what happens if, when it loses palm signal for 60 seconds, if the terrain below is unsuitable for landing?  Does it just hover until critical battery and land anyway?  According to Dirk52, it CAN'T RTH  because it hasn't recorded a home position. Some may not be as lucky as mimus and have a RC stashed nearby.

I tried it first day very windy it lowered to about 1 meter, was being blown about but trying to hover, I waited about 20 seconds it didn't land so I had to grab it and turn it over on its back to power it off.

I tried again yesterday, after 1 1/2 minutes it lowered itself to a meter again so this time I waited a while longer about 1 minute and it made a normal landing.
2017-7-9
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-9 16:10
I tried it first day very windy it lowered to about 1 meter, was being blown about but trying to hover, I waited about 20 seconds it didn't land so I had to grab it and turn it over on its back to power it off.

I tried again yesterday, after 1 1/2 minutes it lowered itself to a meter again so this time I waited a while longer about 1 minute and it made a normal landing.

My Spark is still on loan.  Do  you know if the landing terrain is a factor in landing vs hover?  e.g. If  the spark is over uneven terrain, does it look/care?  Will it land anyway?
2017-7-10
Use props
Hendrik.lucky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35669 ft
Denmark

Mimus Posted at 2017-7-6 06:49

that is same likes my spark yesterday using the palm, not want come back to me still hover after take selfie, and then I'm using the remote to bring it back down, so now I'm always have remote near by me when using gesture mode for palm
2017-7-10
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284770 ft
United States

Hendrik.lucky@g Posted at 2017-7-10 07:58
that is same likes my spark yesterday using the palm, not want come back to me still hover after take selfie, and then I'm using the remote to bring it back down, so now I'm always have remote near by me when using gesture mode for palm

yup, need to have a backup plan in case it gets stuck like that again
2017-7-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-10 04:53
My Spark is still on loan.  Do  you know if the landing terrain is a factor in landing vs hover?  e.g. If  the spark is over uneven terrain, does it look/care?  Will it land anyway?

It looks like it's not going to land obviously you don't know why it won't but yes it seems to be checking out landing site.
2017-7-10
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-10 11:19
It looks like it's not going to land obviously you don't know why it won't but yes it seems to be checking out landing site.

In the Mavic, if you autotakeoff with the Precise Landing box checked, VPS will snap a picture of the takeoff location and will try to find it before landing.
2017-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules