3154 37 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey all, i want to know how to lock my phone while using active track to record myself. Heres the scenario. Im out on the motorbike, i ride by a scenic shot. I whip out my spark, set it to active track me on the bike, i need to lock my phone to put it in my pocket, just in case I accidentally catch something I shouldnt. What do I do? Is there a lock screen option while in active track?
2017-7-6
Use props
Interloper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 251824 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same dilemma. Experimentation has led me to the conclusion that you just can not lock your phone as it will disconnect. My solution has been to buy a cheap handlebar mount for my iPod touch and use that. It's still hit and miss though.
2017-7-6
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its mental, the spark is being marketed as a selfie drone and its becoming more of a disappointment, dronie mode not working properly, being unable to gesture for tracking and record video, low resolution selfie images and finding I cant even active track myself without having to have my phone out. Kind of most of the reasons for me buying the spark and now I'm outside of my seven day returns I'm starting to feel like I bought into a lemon.
Mounting the phone on my motorbike isn't an option unless I stick a little tank bag on the front but I shouldn't have to do this.
I understand that being connected via WiFi to the phone if I turn it off it will disconnect from the spark and this in turn stops active track. I just found I can lock the screen if I'm connected to the controller by swiping down with two fingers but that too stops me from putting the controller in my backpack just in case I mess with the controls.

Is there any way for the iPhone to keep the WiFi connection active even after the phone has been turned off so the app continues running in the background?
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You can’t use only your phone to track yourself for a distance >100m.
As you connect a smartphone the spark will set a HomePoint and the distance limit of 100m is active.
The solution.. wait for the update that you can start/stop recoding a video with a gesture. Because no connected device = no HomePoint.
Then you (and all others including me) will be able to track AND record yourself for a longer distance than 100m.
2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 02:16
You can’t use only your phone to track yourself for a distance >100m.
As you connect a smartphone the spark will set a HomePoint and the distance limit of 100m is active.
The solution.. wait for the update that you can start/stop recoding a video with a gesture. Because no connected device = no HomePoint.

Because no connected device = no HomePoint.

Not quite true... the Spark get its Home Point from internal GPS, not phone.  If you use a phone, you can update the home point and thus "reset" your 100 m limit.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-6 04:52
Because no connected device = no HomePoint.

Not quite true... the Spark get its Home Point from internal GPS, not phone.  If you use a phone, you can update the home point and thus "reset" your 100 m limit.

When you have no device connected there is no HomePoint saved.
So it was correct..no device=no HP=no 100m limit.
This is also the reason why the spark do NOT RtH when the low battery limit is reached in gesture/palm control with no device connected. It will just land. Same when there is no gps or enough light anymore.
2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 05:10
When you have no device connected there is no HomePoint saved.
So it was correct..no device=no HP=no 100m limit.
This is also the reason why the spark do NOT RtH when the low battery limit is reached in gesture/palm control with no device connected. It will just land. Same when there is no gps or enough light anymore.

That may (or may not) be true in gesture mode,  but consider flying with the RC and no phone.  RTH works in that case.  I've not seen details for Spark, but the Mavic uses the home point internally, not in the phone or RC.
So what does the Spark to in gesture mode when the battery expires.  Just drop?  Land at it's current location?
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-6 05:32
That may (or may not) be true in gesture mode,  but consider flying with the RC and no phone.  RTH works in that case.  I've not seen details for Spark, but the Mavic uses the home point internally, not in the phone or RC.
So what does the Spark to in gesture mode when the battery expires.  Just drop?  Land at it's current location?

The question was „no phone or RC“. And spark only = no hp.
Because you can’t stop the rth when there is nothing connected.
Sure uses the spark its internal Gps. But like i mentioned before not when there is no device or RC connecte, and yes... it will land at its current location.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-6 05:32

I haven't seen it written down anywhere, what exactly happens , but yes your right it's internal gps in spark that records homepoint, it may do what it does when you beckon fly to you and hold height and wait for your palm to land.

Does it have low/critical battery it doesn't seem to be documented. Maybe a mod will drop by and give us some answers.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

The same will happen like when there is no input anymore... it will just land.

IMG_6635.PNG
2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 05:55
Sure uses the spark its internal Gps. But like i mentioned before not when there is no device or RC connecte, and yes... it will land at its current location.

and yes... it will land at its current location.

Thanks,  good to know.  At least it's nearby.  So no RTH - but is a Home Point (or starting location) still recorded?
This makes sense (no Home) in Palm Control mode. Operator could be moving, is always nearby and in visual range.

So back to the initial question.  If gesture mode is used for tracking (no phone or RC attached), it there still a 100 m limit?   Obviously not.

Maybe soon we'll be able to examine DAT file from Spark.  (I assume they're there somewhere.)

2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-6 06:14

That diagram shows it descending to homepoint and it mentions nothing about landing. That's not landing on low battery that's descending to 1.2 meters to allow palm landing. At least that's what it looks like to me.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I don’t want to be unkind, but you are reading my answers?
No device or RC connected = no HomePoint recorded= no RTH at failsafe, no 100m limit.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 05:55

How do you know it will land at its current location?
2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 06:25

Well, we really won't know if a Home Point was recorded or not until we can see the DAT files.  But I'm guessing it's SOP, whether the operating mode  implements RTH or not.
Wish I had my Spark with me to test.
I presume Dirk has the experience.

2017-7-6
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some great news, i found out you can indeed lock the screen to a degree.Swipe up with two fingers to lock the screen.
Pressing and holding still controls the gimbal but I dont think it will be a problem when i pop my phone in my pocket and it doesnt bypass the 100m limit but its a start!
Ill test this out later today

Lock Screen

Lock Screen
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I'm just wondering because your never than a few meters away in gesture that first when it loses you that it just descends to 1.2 meter but when it reaches low or critical battery what happens. There is no mention of land in diagram in post 10 , just says descend, but your right d52 will tell us.

75kph winds here not good for Spark to be out today.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 06:25

Because this is the failsafe option for no device/RC connected. Just land.
2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

I loaned my Spark to a friend who has one on order - for familiarization and practice.  I'm due to give some lessons today or tomorrow, so I'll run some tests then.  I also PM'd Bud to see if DAT structure for Spark has been worked out.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I tried it several times....
Start with your spark and let it follow you... you can walk more than 100m.
Connecting the app the HP is set. Now you are walking and it will appear the message that you reached the max distance.
If the battery goes low, the leds will blink red. After that it will descend until it is landed.
2017-7-6
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 07:09

This is true, in gesture mode if it doesnt receive a command after 60 secs it just lands. Happened to me in the garden last night while i was playing.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 07:09

Just as a matter of interest where did you get this information, as your diagram from the app says it descends to what looks like homepoint i.e. The sign H . It does not mention anything about landing.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 07:26
Just as a matter of interest where did you get this information, as your diagram from the app says it descends to what looks like homepoint i.e. The sign H . It does not mention anything about landing.

Read post #19.If you don’t believe me just read the answer above you.
2017-7-6
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lets just stay on topic please, i found a solution, if you want to debate other things go make a new post please
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 07:32
Read post #19.If you don’t believe me just read the answer above you.

Sorry I'm confused now. Post 19 does not answer my question, I'm wondering where you seen information about Spark landing when you it's no longer under palm control or RC or Phone.
Maybe it in the manual I don't know all I see is it will descend doesn't mention landing.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 07:48
Sorry I'm confused now. Post 19 does not answer my question, I'm wondering where you seen information about Spark landing when you it's no longer under palm control or RC or Phone.
Maybe it in the manual I don't know all I see is it will descend doesn't mention landing.

Okay... when this part of post #19 doesn’t answer your question:
„If the battery goes low, the leds will blink red. After that it will descend until it is landed.“

And now back to topic please.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 07:55
Okay... when this part of post #19 doesn’t answer your question:
„If the battery goes low, the leds will blink red. After that it will descend until it is landed.“

Oh I see you don't actually know what happens when you loose palm control, because in your diagram it says descend after 60s in post 19 completely different answer.
2017-7-6
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 08:15
Oh I see you don't actually know what happens when you loose palm control, because in your diagram it says descend after 60s in post 19 completely different answer.

Is it so hard to understand??
No device or RC connected:
No tracking and no palm control active  = land after 60sec.
Battery empty = land.

If you don’t believe me, get out and test it yourself and stop doubting others experience they have made.
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-6 08:51
Is it so hard to understand??
No device or RC connected:
No tracking and no palm control active  = land after 60sec.

So I've just tested in extremely high wind but how and ever. Gesture mode waved my drone away, walked out of sight , waited 95 seconds my Spark descended to just over a meter hovered badly in the wind,  couldn't land on my palm to windy so grabbed it turned it over and cut motors.

So for me it's as it says in the app descend not land, maybe you got a different one, I still would like a mod to jump in here and let us know what happens. Because when my spark was descending it looked like it was trying to find the last spot I waved it away form but wind was to high and blowing it all over the place.
I will test again on a windless day and also let it go to low battery see what happens. But definitely first movement was to descend not land.
2017-7-6
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

How do you switch from trace to profile mode?
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-7-6 07:47
Lets just stay on topic please, i found a solution, if you want to debate other things go make a new post please

Apologies got carried away, glad you managed to sort out the phone, and thanks for the tip.
2017-7-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 07:26

Not surprised that the documentation is a bit misleading.

Thank you Dirk52, for confirming the 100 m limit doesn't apply in Palm Mode.  I'd still like to see what the DAT file is recording in that mode.

BTW hallmark007, Bud says the Spark DAT analysis will be out in a few days (beta).
2017-7-7
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-7 10:33
Not surprised that the documentation is a bit misleading.

Thank you Dirk52, for confirming the 100 m limit doesn't apply in Palm Mode.  I'd still like to see what the DAT file is recording in that mode.

Your welcome...
Here you can also read about the failsafe I mentioned before.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-103327-1-1.html
2017-7-7
Use props
Cameron Dasso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6115 ft
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-7-6 06:38
Some great news, i found out you can indeed lock the screen to a degree.Swipe up with two fingers to lock the screen.
Pressing and holding still controls the gimbal but I dont think it will be a problem when i pop my phone in my pocket and it doesnt bypass the 100m limit but its a start!
Ill test this out later today

So when do you get this screen? Does it come when you go into Active Track? I have not seen it and I want to lock the screen when using phone with Active Track also. Thanks
2017-12-27
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quick update on this one, I now use just gestures to get my spark to follow me around. Palm launch, wave away, wait for it to track me or both hands up if its lost me. Gesture to start recording (one hand up) and off I go. Works great. Auto updates RTH every 15m. When I'm done I gesture beckon and palm land. Whoop!!
2018-2-1
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-2-1 08:29
Quick update on this one, I now use just gestures to get my spark to follow me around. Palm launch, wave away, wait for it to track me or both hands up if its lost me. Gesture to start recording (one hand up) and off I go. Works great. Auto updates RTH every 15m. When I'm done I gesture beckon and palm land. Whoop!!

well done!
2018-2-1
Use props
rkwilson72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 892 ft
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-2-1 08:29
Quick update on this one, I now use just gestures to get my spark to follow me around. Palm launch, wave away, wait for it to track me or both hands up if its lost me. Gesture to start recording (one hand up) and off I go. Works great. Auto updates RTH every 15m. When I'm done I gesture beckon and palm land. Whoop!!

Awesome to hear about this. Need to try this out! -Thanks
2018-2-1
Use props
Webdrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 674938 ft
France

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-7-6 06:38
Ill test this out later today[Image]

Good find...except this does not seem to work in Active Track mode, it just selects another area to track, or am I missing something? Thanks!
2019-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules