DJI Spark, sudden loss off control resulting in crash.
15789 78 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hathdert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

If you calibrate your drone on a interference place, the wrong results to the the compass due to interference will be treated like positive results on flight. If you take off with that wrong results and midair are no interference, the right results of midair free of interference place will be treated like wrong, and cause a compass error (missmatch) when the discrepancy between reads are high, leading to problems like out of controll drone, your flight controll will not know what to do when wrong parameters are supose to be right parameters.

Everyones need to be VERY VERY carefull about where calibrate the drone. Old drone users always be very very carefull, Since phantom 1 ages and old flyaway problems

2017-7-29
Use props
Lord Business
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42989 ft
United States

I had a bunch of errors and fly-away incident.  Luckily for me, it returned to home after a bit.  That said, I was surprised to see a bunch of "Yaw Errors" in the log file when I uploaded it to Phantom Help.  Have you been able to determine what that means?
2017-7-31
Use props
jinchuricki
New
Flight distance : 7861 ft
Indonesia

I've got the same problem. The DJI Spark Drone suddenly move by itself (hover to the left very fast), I tried to hover back to right but nothing happened. The controller stop working and the DJI Spark Crash into stone wall and hit some rocks on the beach.

The drone got some scratch on the propellers, the camera, and the front sensor. Fortunately, most of the functions of the drone works.

2017-8-1
Use props
fans7c318970
New
Flight distance : 298281 ft
Canada

jinchuricki Posted at 2017-8-1 09:07
I've got the same problem. The DJI Spark Drone suddenly move by itself (hover to the left very fast), I tried to hover back to right but nothing happened. The controller stop working and the DJI Spark Crash into stone wall and hit some rocks on the beach.

The drone got some scratch on the propellers, the camera, and the front sensor. Fortunately, most of the functions of the drone works.

Wow, so I'm not the only one! Seems like a flurry of these errors are coming in. Maybe the last update? I had nearly the exact same thing happen! Will upload video soon.
2017-8-1
Use props
lucsvette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

haven't experienced any of these issues yet.  
2017-8-1
Use props
fansd8e80c3c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95502 ft
Brazil

Hi jinchuriki, it seems to be more your fault than a DJI issue, you should be more attentive to the drone status, you took off in OPTI using VPS with 4 satelites, but then you went backwards and the low sonar with camera got no reference due to the height difference, then the drone went into Atti without GPS, at this time you should headed the drone forward and manually maintained postion until it got more satelites or landed it there.
2017-8-1
Use props
jinchuricki
New
Flight distance : 7861 ft
Indonesia

fansd8e80c3c Posted at 2017-8-1 13:19
Hi jinchuriki, it seems to be more your fault than a DJI issue, you should be more attentive to the drone status, you took off in OPTI using VPS with 4 satelites, but then you went backwards and the low sonar with camera got no reference due to the height difference, then the drone went into Atti without GPS, at this time you should headed the drone forward and manually maintained postion until it got more satelites or landed it there.

Maybe that's the problem. But I wonder why I can't control the drone after I move it backwards, moreover the drone move by itself quickly hover to the left. If it got lack of satellite signal, does it  move by itself?
2017-8-1
Use props
fansd8e80c3c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95502 ft
Brazil

Yes, in atti mode it drift with the wind, I believe DJI should make the drone try to go to OPTI (optical positioning) before ATTI
2017-8-1
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

hmm

1) Was in Opti mode, when you launched. (should still be alright, mistake was when you flew back towards a dip in the ground)
2) You flew back, i guess there was a dip when you flew backwards) (probably too high for VPS to work) hence it switched to ATTI mode..
3) you panicked, when it drifted; you could have conpensated it...  (when in Atti mode your drone won't know where it is & will not adjust its motors to hover in place)
When its in GPS or Opti mode, it can read where it is and try to stay put..

i think i would have done the following:-
launch, hover for awhile, fly up higher (to max opti mode height) to try get stronger satelite signal & hover, if still persit land & try to walk around for a better signal...

I'm more interested in the other error.. motor obstructed... wonder what happened there...

2017-8-1
Use props
fanscf0ffacc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59629 ft
Indonesia

Same for me, but my spark more worst condition broke one leg and alltitude control not work, the bad thing i can't buy the spare part because dji service centre only can service not sold spare part like main board, from this exprience please be patient until all gps satelite more than 10 satelite and home posiition recorded, my old spark only for indoor use, i buy another one until now no problem sofar still with remote control only alltitude max 200M, and distance around 200M, lost signal and spark rth, my area in downtown fery crowded..- For spark bepatient dont'f fly if satelite gps belo 10..
2017-8-1
Use props
fanscf0ffacc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59629 ft
Indonesia

Same for me, but my spark more worst condition broke one leg and alltitude control not work, the bad thing i can't buy the spare part because dji service centre only can service not sold spare part like main board, from this exprience please be patient until all gps satelite more than 10 satelite and home posiition recorded, my old spark only for indoor use, i buy another one until now no problem sofar still with remote control only alltitude max 200M, and distance around 200M, lost signal and spark rth, my area in downtown fery crowded..- For spark bepatient dont'f fly if satelite gps belo 10..
2017-8-1
Use props
fansf07271af
lvl.4
Flight distance : 798301 ft
Spain

I had a similar issue yesterday. I got the "compass calibration was required" message. I tried calibrate it several times but I only got errors, finally the calibration was succesfully. I was flying it for 4 minutes without issues but when I am doing a dronie the spark fell suddenly. Luckely only was to a height of 4 meters and seem that is not damaged. I had a bebop before and I bought a dji for its reliability. Never I had a crash with my bebop and in only 2 weeks with my spark I has had my first crash.
2017-8-1
Use props
djiuser_C3ggI2l
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2818 ft
Canada

This already happened to me twice in the last week.  And with my stupid luck both times I crashed into something soft to absorb any damage.  One other thing that showed up on mine was that i was around some very strong magnetic field making my compass go nuts... however the solution for it I wish was just to stay in one spot oppose to launching itself to the ground??
2017-9-18
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

So have crashed my Spark today at the second minute of the very careful flight - the drone got Compass error, went to ATTI mode, then totally lost ability to be controlled from RC and in big speed strart to fluctuate around until hit the pine-tree and fell down. Result 2 props totally crashed, 2 scratched a little bit and LED COver is lost.
Did not calibrate it before flight as DJI suggests now ( untill it is demanded by drone). First minute and 12 sec everything was ideal, then the story began.
There was a metallic roof on the nearby house, i understand that this might be a reason of this "Compass error. Exit P-GPS Mode"
After a while replaced props, calibrated the drone and tried it again at the same place. Now everything went smoothly and i have repeated this 2 times more.
So my questions now:
1. If the metallic roof was the culprit, then why it did not repeated further>? Or the new calibration took in account the metal roof nearby and it was somehow compensated?
2. Can i rely on Spark from now, is it safe to fly further or i should send it for repair?

Please find enclosed the data, requested by Natalia above for analysis. I have zipped everything for easier download

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl0j96dqu4ark9h/crash.zip?dl=0
2017-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-3 15:21
So have crashed my Spark today at the second minute of the very careful flight - the drone got Compass error, went to ATTI mode, then totally lost ability to be controlled from RC and in big speed strart to fluctuate around until hit the pine-tree and fell down. Result 2 props totally crashed, 2 scratched a little bit and LED COver is lost.
Did not calibrate it before flight as DJI suggests now ( untill it is demanded by drone). First minute and 12 sec everything was ideal, then the story began.
There was a metallic roof on the nearby house, i understand that this might be a reason of this "Compass error. Exit P-GPS Mode"

If you feel there may be something wrong with your spark I would raise a case and send it in , my thinking on the metallic roof is yes this could have caused your problem but we can’t be certain , and you said that you calibrated in the same vicinity, this could have the effect of spark taking in the parameters of the area you were flying in. If this was the case then when you go flying in other areas your compass will not be right for that area.

You mention in your PM that your small triangle seems to be on a different heading than your spark, this is not crucial but it should be pretty close.

If you have calibrated in an area where there may have been magnetic interference, I think you should go to another area open space follow the rules about calibrating like no watch Jewellery no cars metal objects and keep remote control at least 5 metres away, preform calibration and test spark for 10 minutes at low altitude 2/3 metres.
Pay attention to whether Spark is flying straight and responding to remote control inputs, I’m not sure if you have done an IMU calibration but I would advise doing one .
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
2017-11-4
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-4 07:09
If you feel there may be something wrong with your spark I would raise a case and send it in , my thinking on the metallic roof is yes this could have caused your problem but we can’t be certain , and you said that you calibrated in the same vicinity, this could have the effect of spark taking in the parameters of the area you were flying in. If this was the case then when you go flying in other areas your compass will not be right for that area.

You mention in your PM that your small triangle seems to be on a different heading than your spark, this is not crucial but it should be pretty close.

Thank You, will try tomorrow and come back with some news
2017-11-4
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-4 07:19
Thank You, will try tomorrow and come back with some news

"If this was the case then when you go flying in other areas your compass will not be right for that area"
BTW have tried today at new open area and AC did not ask for calibration. And when i took it off, noticed that the nose of the arrow do not coincide with Spark body ( diff. 45-60 degrees) And recalibration did not help. Maybe need to recalibrate IMU as well?
2017-11-4
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

fanse855bdb3 Posted at 2017-7-7 12:27
I got the log directly from the DJI App and went to the site: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

Thanks for sharing
2017-11-4
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-4 07:09

So have found open space ( 2 different places actually) and have tried to recalibrate with all precautions, you advised: smartwatch off, the belt with metal buckle off, phones off, RC with CS mount 6 meters away. In both cases the result were the same - the nose of the red arrow do not coincide with a Spark nose! Will post a link to the photos and clip, i made after calibration
2017-11-5
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

Here is a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/op2w0 ... P7T2K9mTVrU0Ha?dl=0

Couple of times when i put RC too close to AC the nose and AC body were almost good. But could not repeat anymore
2017-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-5 05:15
Here is a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/op2w0s2s8i7j5sd/AAAFCFVfiF8P7T2K9mTVrU0Ha?dl=0

Hey nixuspix yes I had a look at those and yes triangle is slightly off, I have seen this before, it’s really a case of it’s working fine as you demonstrated when moving aircraft, my own is very slightly off as well just checked it a short while ago, but movement with aircraft is good, I’m not sure if you tried flying as I suggested but this will be the real test.
You could send it back as a warranty but they may say it was as a result of the crash, if it’s working fine then it shouldn’t be a problem, I don’t know of a way to reset these. I’ll wait to hear from you regarding test flying.
2017-11-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-5 05:08
So have found open space ( 2 different places actually) and have tried to recalibrate with all precautions, you advised: smartwatch off, the belt with metal buckle off, phones off, RC with CS mount 6 meters away. In both cases the result were the same - the nose of the red arrow do not coincide with a Spark nose! Will post a link to the photos and clip, i made after calibration

I can see you have a CS. I have had that issue yesterday when I used the CS first time. The compass display was about 90° wrong. I then calibrated the CS compass (same method as for Spark) and all was fine thereafter. Maybe this will solve your issue too...
2017-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-11-5 09:25
I can see you have a CS. I have had that issue yesterday when I used the CS first time. The compass display was about 90° wrong. I then calibrated the CS compass (same method as for Spark) and all was fine thereafter. Maybe this will solve your issue too...

You could have the answer there, I never thought of that good job.
2017-11-5
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

Thank You both Gentlemen!
Did not fly today as it was very windy. Will try 5.5" CS calibration tomorrow and test fly as well. Will report back. Wachtberger, i have seen Your comment in CS thread, but you wrote about RIGHT Lower corner, if i remember now, that's why have omitted this
Thank You Guys once again!
2017-11-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-5 09:47
Thank You both Gentlemen!
Did not fly today as it was very windy. Will try 5.5" CS calibration tomorrow and test fly as well. Will report back. Wachtberger, i have seen Your comment in CS thread, but you wrote about RIGHT Lower corner, if i remember now, that's why have omitted this
Thank You Guys once again!

Thank you hallmark and thank you nixuspix for pointing me at that typo, it's corrected now. Of course I had meant the compass in the lower left corner.
2017-11-5
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

Good evening Captain Hallmarlk! Good evening Wachtberger!
So have been tried first to calibrate mine 5.5" CS compass. Calibration was successful itself, but desired result not achieved yet - still the angle between arrow nose and Spark body.
Please find attached result of my small test flight. For me it looks rock stable, but don't blame my poor experience.
So my questions now:
1. Can i try to take it with me to Florida as it is now?
2. How can we try to reduce this angle? Hope that it is not caused by hit into the tree and fall to the ground after.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xg7qz ... E7glQXkbWvAX5a?dl=0
2017-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-6 06:51
So have been tried first to calibrate mine 5.5" CS compass. Calibration was successful itself, but desired result not achieved yet - still the angle between arrow nose and Spark body.
Please find attached result of my small test flight. For me it looks rock stable, but don't blame my poor experience.

Hi nixuspix, well it looks to be flying well, and when you were moving it by hand it was responding to your movement of the aircraft.
So for me I would think you should not have a problem taking it with you , if compass was off you would definitely seen it in the test.
Regarding how the triangle can be corrected I’m not sure thought calibrating CS might have sorted it, so you could contact dji but they will 100% ask you to send it in, why it ended up that way I just don’t know.
Was it the same when you were flying what I mean by that is let’s say you use map and triangle to fly in straight line is AC following same line?
I don’t believe it’s anything to do with AC but is problem in the app or monitor.
2017-11-6
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

Thank You so much indeed! I am almost happy again. Do not have LED Cover still ( moving too slow from China), so will put some transparent scotch over the led mount. There was too short movings of drone today to notice whether it was straight line, maybe will test this specially tomorrow, if our Latvian weather will allow - raining, raining.....
May try to exclude app and CS by taking my LG G4 with DJI GO4. Will report if manage.
2017-11-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-6 07:27
Thank You so much indeed! I am almost happy again. Do not have LED Cover still ( moving too slow from China), so will put some transparent scotch over the led mount. There was too short movings of drone today to notice whether it was straight line, maybe will test this specially tomorrow, if our Latvian weather will allow - raining, raining.....
May try to exclude app and CS by taking my LG G4 with DJI GO4. Will report if manage.

LG G4?
I have one, mine did not do well with the DJI Go app and Spark.
Have you tried it?

Anyway, don't forget to recalibrate compass in Florida
2017-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-6 07:27

No problem hope you have a great trip and all goes well.
2017-11-6
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

Nope didn't try LG G4 yet. Have iphone 5s as well. Not going to fly with them, am intending to stay with CS, but want to investigate more deeply this strange a bit angle between red arrow nose and AC body.
Thank You both for cordial wishes.
2017-11-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

nixuspix Posted at 2017-11-6 06:51

Hi, pity that the CS calibration did not fix your "nose" problem as it did for me. For the rest I second hallmark007 in his assessment. Have a good travel to Florida and many happy landings with your Spark! And please bring back nice pictures and videos for all of us.
2017-11-6
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
  • >>>
Latvia

Thank You for kind words. Thinking about full factory reset of CS tomorrow. Will report here if succeed.
2017-11-6
Use props
djiuser_AtFvsdcbhJl5
New
Flight distance : 801 ft
Argentina

Tuve el mismo error con mi DJI Spark me autorizo a volar perfectamente, lo eleve 1,5 mts, luego los subi a 10mts aproximadamente y el drone empezo a enloquecer, y a tirarme los errores de brujula e IMU, toque el botón de volver a casa, y nunca hizo caso, y luego se dirigió hacia el mar y cayó, luego saco fotos abajo del agua, ahora esperando a que DJI se haga cargo de sus errores de fabricación, ya que en la Argentina no es un equipo económico.
2019-1-11
Use props
fanse076476d
New
Flight distance : 302 ft
United States

I just lost my spark today with this same scenario. I’ve logged over 100 hours with the Spark, so I’m not inexperienced. Today it suddenly went haywire mid flight. Complete loss of control at the controller, it shot sideways over water (which I was flying next to, not over), and crashed into a tree branch and straight into the water. Irrecoverable and KIA. Seriously, DJI...I’m disappointed. My software and hardware were up to date, and I always ensure solid GPS connection before flying.
2020-2-29
Use props
fanse076476d
New
United States

I just lost my Spark today. It was flying along, just fine, and suddenly COMPLETELY went haywire. No control at the controller, and it SHOT sideways faster than I’ve ever seen it move, happened to go over water, hit a tree branch and straight into the water. I’m a very experienced flyer, and was not even flying over the water, but next to it. Had solid GPS connection, up to date soft/hardware and fully charged everything.
2020-2-29
Use props
fanse076476d
New
United States

fanse076476d Posted at 2-29 13:45
I just lost my Spark today. It was flying along, just fine, and suddenly COMPLETELY went haywire. No control at the controller, and it SHOT sideways faster than I’ve ever seen it move, happened to go over water, hit a tree branch and straight into the water. I’m a very experienced flyer, and was not even flying over the water, but next to it. Had solid GPS connection, up to date soft/hardware and fully charged everything.

Looking at the log, it lost GPS signal right before the crash. However, that should not have resulted in what happened. DJI, I’m disappointed in you. It was less than 10 yards from the controller, it should never have lost radio control like it did. There is simply no excuse. There was no wind, I was flying slowly, it just went nuts.
2020-2-29
Use props
Naushad Shakoor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8474 ft
Japan

I experienced the exact same behavior. But mine crashed into the sea ::.
I’ve been using spark for the last 4 years and kept it updated with all the latest firmware.
I didn’t want it to fly towards the sea; it was acting like it had a mind of it’s own. I was trying to bring it back to the shore as much as I can and suddenly it just collapsed into the sea water.
My heart broke when I saw it happen. Couldn’t recover it.
2021-7-25
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

Naushad Shakoor Posted at 7-25 07:11
I experienced the exact same behavior. But mine crashed into the sea ::.
I’ve been using spark for the last 4 years and kept it updated with all the latest firmware.
I didn’t want it to fly towards the sea; it was acting like it had a mind of it’s own. I was trying to bring it back to the shore as much as I can and suddenly it just collapsed into the sea water.

I am sorry for your loss, I understand your sadness. My drone once fell from 90m 2 years ago, but was not hurt much due to the high grass. The battery mounting lug came loose and was not touching. The motors stopped. Turned out on reading the forum that it was a design fault. SOkan had the exact same thing happen. I 3D printed a mounting bracket with a 3D printer and flew that way.
Then came the next error: it bounced up and down on take off and then it went away and flew, but suddenly it started to land and there was no way to intervene. All the rotors were smashed but I got away with it again.
Turns out: another known fault. I took a sniff and cleaned all the connectors and it was fixed.
I write all this down because it may have something to do with the many faults. Sudden disconnection and fast fly away is a very well known, common failure.
Many people and many times thought it was just the fault of the compass and then it goes into atti mode and the wind is what blows it away. I believe that the contact failure causes the whole control to become confused and want to fly at full speed to a coordinate that is far away and then fly as long as the battery will last.
The Spark is a very nice drone, but unfortunately they wanted to bring it to market too quickly and didn't pay attention to impregnating the connectors, or to reduce weight, they made these connectors very small. Their failure is the cause of most accidents. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=220364
It is no coincidence that the Spark was never continued.
2021-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules