11442 19 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a 9 year old that has already flown my mavic. I recently bought a  Spark for her and I am just wondering at what ages have some of you  started teaching?
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I've had my Grandson age five with spark it's a bit scary, but I live in a very open area . They are bringing out new rules in Europ where younger pilots can fly certain class of aircraft provided they are with a trained adult 18 years and over I'm not sure what age they will start at, but Mavic was in the class mentioned. I feel this is a good thing if done by responsible adult.

I bet she loved it.
2017-7-6
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

She did, grinning ear to ear... I really dislike people trying to regulate the age i introduce drones or any RC to my child. That is the parents responsibility!
2017-7-6
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Actually there are a few on the forum that probably look much older but having read what they have done with their Mavic, I tend to think their brain is only functioning equivalent to a 4 year old.
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We don't suggest children under the age of 15 to fly the drone, it's not a toy. Safety first.
safety guidelines.png
2017-7-7
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

JoeCec Posted at 2017-7-6 16:45
She did, grinning ear to ear... I really dislike people trying to regulate the age i introduce drones or any RC to my child. That is the parents responsibility!

Dear JoeCec,

If you allow me, I will give my opinion:
The laws are there to secure people from themselves.
If we could base on responsible acts by the adults, we would not have prisons, lawyers, judges, etc.
Here, in this forum, we can see so many irresponsible acts that would drive me crazy. And all of them are adults.
So, for example, I have a 11 years old daughter. She doesn’t even go with me to fly, unless we are travelling.
Drones are not for kids, unless you have those cute little ones, for selfies and indoor flights.
I am not saying you are right or wrong; just exposing my thoughts and my concerning’s.
2017-7-7
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-7 01:04
We don't suggest children under the age of 15 to fly the drone, it's not a toy. Safety first.

I am well aware of what the manual states thank you.
2017-7-7
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-7-7 03:12
Dear JoeCec,

I appreciate your opinion. And I completely understand your point of view. I just don't think its someone else's right to tell me how to live the life I plan on living. I am fully aware of the safety risks, but there's risk all around us at all times. It's not like I'm training my daughter in a crowd of people. Her and I go to an AMA sponsored field and fly there.
2017-7-7
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-7 01:04

In Denmark, all children must fly a drone by low under 7 kg when supervised by an adult over 18 years of age. One of my grandchildren of 6 years age is totally crazy about flying with my Mavic. It's not a bad idea at all and teach children responsibility at a young age.   

Regards Leif.
2017-7-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-7-7 03:12
Dear JoeCec,

I feel it's ok for 12 year old to fly drone if supervised by a trained RC pilot he can learn a huge amount of experience from this,
If you just give a drone to 15 year old no supervision likelihood hood is there is going to be problems, if you give it to a 13 year old who has been trained by qualified RC pilot chances are that he will have a lot more knowledge than some adults who just take it out of the box and think they can fly.

I'm all for teaching children young but properly and supervising adult accepts full responsibility.
2017-7-7
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Maybe DJI should invest in a stronger pilot informational program. More step by step tutorials of proper flight procedures. Would be a great way to show the performance of their craft, promote their product, and also shed light on safety. Not everyone grew up on RC Heli's and airplanes, and I feel the manufacturer should do everything in their power to promote awareness. Not shut down features and limit or restrict.
2017-7-7
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

JoeCec Posted at 2017-7-7 08:07
Maybe DJI should invest in a stronger pilot informational program. More step by step tutorials of proper flight procedures. Would be a great way to show the performance of their craft, promote their product, and also shed light on safety. Not everyone grew up on RC Heli's and airplanes, and I feel the manufacturer should do everything in their power to promote awareness. Not shut down features and limit or restrict.

I completly agree with you. It is an awesome idea, and project for DJI.
Cheers.
2017-7-7
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

JoeCec Posted at 2017-7-7 03:47
I appreciate your opinion. And I completely understand your point of view. I just don't think its someone else's right to tell me how to live the life I plan on living. I am fully aware of the safety risks, but there's risk all around us at all times. It's not like I'm training my daughter in a crowd of people. Her and I go to an AMA sponsored field and fly there.

yeah! Why don't you keep your kid away from Mavics and let her do something safe, you bad parent, you! Something safe like a go-kart or dirt bike, tackle football, or a real pilots license.

on a serious note though, people need to stop acting like the mavic is something special that only adults can handle.  With supervision, a kid UNDER 15 yrs of age can handle this drone EASY. Especially with the limits you can set in the drones settings, like "beginner mode".
2017-7-7
Use props
Fuzileiro_2005
New

United States

jajajaj

Thats young, but i suppose is fine with an adult looking for them.

I dont have sons now, but when i do, I will teach them right away xD
2017-7-7
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Doots Posted at 2017-7-7 11:26
yeah! Why don't you keep your kid away from Mavics and let her do something safe, you bad parent, you! Something safe like a go-kart or dirt bike, tackle football, or a real pilots license.  

on a serious note though, people need to stop acting like the mavic is something special that only adults can handle.  With supervision, a kid UNDER 15 yrs of age can handle this drone EASY. Especially with the limits you can set in the drones settings, like "beginner mode".

She's been on KTM 690's shes played soccer softball and karate. She has shot my rifles and pistols.... Anything else I'm missing for irresponsible parent of the year lol!?
2017-7-7
Use props
Mr. C
lvl.1
Flight distance : 582431 ft
  • >>>
United States

My take on the subject:
2017-7-7
Use props
Anonymous_guy
lvl.2

United States

In this decade, many kids are better with technology than adults.  If you think your child knows all the rules and what you should do or what you should not do, then I think they should be allowed to fly a drone.  I would suggest that kids 11 and under should start with the Ryze Tello since it is doesn't cost as much and is a great beginner drone. For 12+ I would suggest the DJI Spark.
2021-4-12
Use props
IFLY DJI
lvl.2

United States

Go ahead and teach her!!!  I’m 14 and have about 1,160 flight miles at this point.  My drone is a Mini 2 and I love it and highly recommend it for anyone looking for a drone whether for a starter or for hard core professional flying.
2022-3-25
Use props
IFLY DJI
lvl.2

United States

All I know is that when I am a dad all my kids will have Mavic’s before they know how to walk!
2022-3-25
Use props
IFLY DJI
lvl.2

United States

One last thing I forgot to mention… have your kid complete the FAA TRUST exam before they are allowed to fly the drone just so you know they know the rules.
2022-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules