1115 5 2015-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fjtiger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1299 ft
United States

HELP! I noticed this part is cracked.

I have spent 48 minutes on hold with DJI support - then talked to a kid that knows nothing about it (nice fellow but...)

I convinced him that I have a photoshoot Sunday and I need to talk to someone that knows more and spent another 10 min. on hold before getting disconnected. Never to hear back from them.

It seems to be a strut or something similar because there is oil in it. I have got to replace this part ASAP and have had horrible luck on my customer service trip so far. Does anybody know anything??

I am really looking for help a.) Identifying the part & b.) finding a replacement ASAP

Thanks for any help.

dji HELP--.jpg
2015-3-18
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

Email me. daniel@skysightfilms.com I've got a solution for you.
2015-3-18
Use props
jaron
lvl.2

United States

I had a hard landing and took out 3 of the white shocks and only the schoks.  I called Dji and spoke with someone that was very knowledgable. He said those were indeed shocks and the unit had to be sent back for repairs. FedEx says it was confirmed delivered yesterday. I'll post the cost to have 3 replaced when I find out.
2015-3-18
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

Jaron- that sucks.. sorry.

Okay,  so many have emailed and asked what fix I was talking about above. First, this was my partners Inspire not mine but we both fixed it. It came down on a hard landing and broke the front foot right under the word Inspire and the shock broke as well. We searched everywhere and learned the only real way to fix it correctly is to replace the foot. Sadly DJI won't sell a part like that. They want you to send it in and charge you money to fix your mistake.

Now, I'll tell you how we fixed it but remember that we both have around 220 flights in our respected Inspires and use them almost everyday. Actually that made me curious, so, I just looked to find I personally have 232 flights. So, I'm comfortable knowing for the most part unless something goes really wrong I can very softly touch down. In his case he feels the same way. The accident occurred because from a bad battery cell  he found out.

Ok here is what we did until we can buy a crashed Inspire to use the good parts or until DJI will sell us a foot. We can't afford to wait 6 weeks with only one drone flying right now.

So, to keep her flying we went to Home Depot (hardware store in the U.S.) and purchased a 5 ft. X 1/4 inch Pex Pipe (5 ft was the smallest we could purchase. We didn't have time to hunt down the exact matching white but the off white of this one actually looks to be almost the same color and people have looked closely at it and not noticed it was different.

We set the foot in place without the shock to determine the length we needed to make the Pex. . We wanted to make the pex a little shorter with a rubber ball at the bottom to provide some cushion but that didn't support the foot well enough. So we decided no shock at all on that side and its just very soft landings on our bird for now. We cut it enough to always apply pressure to the end of the foot so it wouldn't collapse. Since the leg was actually broken just above the antenna (which is where they all seem to break in this type of accident) we decided to go get a very strong clear epoxy named JB Weld and applied it to the broken area  of the foot and the inside ends of the holes where the PEX went in to seal in place.  It set overnight and was rock solid in the morning.

Now if we land hard, yes it will break. So we landed like its a $4 million instead of $4000 which is more than we would want to spend to replace it.

Keep in mind the hole where the strut goes in on the side of the carbon fiber arm is wide open all the way to the arm. So, if you plan to replace the foot don't use much epoxy on that end and don't let it run or drip down and touch the pipe. When the foot comes out just swap it out. I think its 4 screws and a plug to do that.

It may seem a little weird but it worked and no one will notice we did it because the epoxy we applied on the outside is clear (not getting close to the antenna plate) and will be covered once our new Inspire stickers come in that we have on back order. No one will ever notice.

It was a very quick fix but his bird had to fly the next day. We had work to do.  After our day of flying we recheck the foot's strength and add one more check before the first flight of the day.

I'll try to post some photos of his when I'm over there tomorrow.

At Home depot the part number on the receipt for the pex pipe is 697285604209 and it was $1.76. It just gives solid support and if you fly it right it won't really need the strut. Don't use AutoLand since it can sort of plop down that way. If you insist on a strut and not a support post you could put a spring in there I think and shorten the PEX pipe length. We only had one over night to fix it so we didn't make an actual strut.

I hope that helps some people. It will the needed support. I think if the leg isn't broken you may need to remove the foot from the pipe to slide your PEX pipe into place.

Feel free to ask me any questions on here.

Good luck and tell us if this helped anyone get flying quickly.
2015-3-18
Use props
fjtiger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1299 ft
United States

Thanks for the information guys.. Very big help. I don't understand why DJI is making this so difficult.

I assumed with the 24/7 support and pushing that on every article I read it would be different. It's not. The 24/7 guy I spoke to when I discovered it told me to call back during working hours..: @:@

Again - THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING.
2015-3-19
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

SkySight Posted at 2015-3-19 13:53
Jaron- that sucks.. sorry.

Okay,  so many have emailed and asked what fix I was talking about above ...

Thanks for the advice, I will try this with mine.
2015-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules