Flying at Night, runaway drone
2878 5 2017-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
airwang
New
United States

This happened to me twice tonight. I lauched the spark from my balcony on the 37th floor, and the drone just started flying off into the distance even though I stopped controlling it. Usually when I take my thumbs off the controls (using the iPhone), the drone hovers in place.  However tonight, it would just keep going instead of hovering in place. Eventually it would land itself and I would have to go on a mission to find it.

This happened twice tonight, and it's my first time flying at night so i'm wondering if it's related to that. Has anyone had a similar experience?
2017-7-7
Use props
fansf7fa979c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are flying in the U.S. you are not supposed to fly at night without a commercial license. If you do not have GPS lock, the drone will use optical sensors to stabilize. They do not work in the dark. This is explained in the manual. Launching from a balcony for a first test flight of flying in the dark sounds pretty reckless to me even if you live in a region where there are no laws against flying at night.
2017-7-7
Use props
fansdbce68d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 349793 ft
United States

fansf7fa979c Posted at 2017-7-7 22:00
If you are flying in the U.S. you are not supposed to fly at night without a commercial license. If you do not have GPS lock, the drone will use optical sensors to stabilize. They do not work in the dark. This is explained in the manual. Launching from a balcony for a first test flight of flying in the dark sounds pretty reckless to me even if you live in a region where there are no laws against flying at night.

Sorry, you have this backwards. Recreational night flights ARE allowed, you only need special exemptions to operate at night commercially.

http://dronelawjournal.com/model-aircraft-operations/
My spark had such numerous bad behaviors I returned it and am awaiting a refund.

2017-7-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You most likely had a problem with compass or gps this will cause fly away. A lot of people have problems taking off from balcony because they usually have a lot of steel or rebar concrete which has a big effect on your compass and gps. You could upload your log to link below, just click link and follow instructions and come back here and post link for your log. I will have a look at it.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-7-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are at least 100 threads across multiple forums where people have issues flying from balconies.  Most result in crashes.
2017-7-8
Use props
fansdad22fe5
New
Flight distance : 271667 ft
United States

I have a Mavic Pro and have had mine behave identically at night. Even in ATTI mode. Take off was from ground. Flew from backyard without ancillary interference (have flown here numerous times during day). These occasionally perform poorly at night!!!
2017-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules