Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 05:32
According to the app description flight is restricted unless connected.  It doesn't say anything about "one time" in DJI's description.

"or looged into the app during flight"

I fly everywhere with my no internet connection ipad everywhere with no problems.
2017-7-9
Use props
Pritch84
lvl.1

Thailand

I'll read this thread later tired on a 5 day shoot but to clarify!

I updated the firmware, I've flown no problems after logging in and having internet numerous times. This particular time I couldnt get internet so the craft limited what I could do to VERY slow flying and distances!
2017-7-9
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

According to the app description flight is restricted unless connected.  It doesn't say anything about "one time" in DJI's description.

An issue in the translation from Chinese to English and other languages.  It would do DJI well to to have more people who understand targeted language review and edit instructions.  
2017-7-9
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daveb500 Posted at 2017-7-9 05:05
It certainly has got into orbit. Always 2 sides, but I would say to the OP, and I am not an old time flyer, I'm a newbie, but I always fully test my gear before going on a shoot, it doesn't matter that it worked fine last time used, or well I did the upgrade so it must be even better now. If its important, or even if its just a fly for fun, don't be let down. This tech is quite high, so things change, especially when you do an upgrade, even minor settings that have defaulted during the upgrade to something different to the ones you had before can cause frustration or confusion when you are out in the field. So plan ahead, run through your checklist, check that your settings are good, then go out and enjoy the flight. The OP must have had the internet available when he did the firmware update, as someone said earlier DJI advertised for weeks that when the update was completed you MUST sign into your account afterwards or else you will be restricted to height and distance.
DJI are not doing this out of spite, in the end they are doing the geofence changes to ensure the hobby and business of flying is protected from government interference. They doing the changes to make sure that the majority of users of their products can continue to do so in a lawful manner. We see too often people flying drones in dangerous ways, too close to airports. Gatwick in the UK had to shut down twice in one day due to someone flying too close. That cost millions and inconvenienced thousands of people, even the though the shut downs were only for short periods. Same goes for people flying drugs etc into prisons.
Rant over. Just check and double check your gear before flying, do so in a safe manner, and then we will all be able to continue. DJI are working to protect their business, not destroy it.  Someone said perception of a problem means there is a problem. Governments perceive there is a problem with allowing amateurs to fly, CAA FAA perceive there is a problem with drones. So to use that analogy there is a problem. Solution shut them all down.

For some of us there is an issue making a test flight after upgrade.  I have to drive several miles to test because I live next to an airport.  Some times it is not practical to travel each time an upgrade is made.
2017-7-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Obviously a Troll above......
2017-7-9
Use props
Hallmark_007
New

United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-7-9
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 06:58
I'll pass...on the new terms of service alone.  You can't sell people a product then come back...6 months, a year, a year and a half later...forcing software updates on them that limits capabilities, removes features, & requires DJI's permission to use the product, then slip in new terms of service in an attempt to insulate the company from legal liability from loss of use or functionality.  For new sales I suggest a great big sticker on the box explicitly stating "Active internet connection required during flight.  DJI decides when & where you get to fly."

Weird. My P4P has DJI written on it and has all the latest updates, but it can -and actually does- fly without an internet connection during flight and has not experienced any range, altitude or speed limitations. How do you explain that?
2017-7-9
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 06:58
I'll pass...on the new terms of service alone.  You can't sell people a product then come back...6 months, a year, a year and a half later...forcing software updates on them that limits capabilities, removes features, & requires DJI's permission to use the product, then slip in new terms of service in an attempt to insulate the company from legal liability from loss of use or functionality.  For new sales I suggest a great big sticker on the box explicitly stating "Active internet connection required during flight.  DJI decides when & where you get to fly."

Agree with you, DJI has behaved unethical and badly with their GEO system in the way it is forced on their customers. If they are not be forced to stop and make the atrocities, no owner of DJI products feel safe.

Regards Leif.
2017-7-9
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-8 16:40
Perception isn't reality.  That's the whole thing.
You get a half-assed idea and run with it and other half-assed people that don't have much idea join in.
It's like my dogs barking when they hear the dog up the road barking and often makes about as much sense.

There is no reality. What people describe as reality is their perception.
Thus Perception = Reality.

Sample:
Person A says Trump is great
Person B says Trump is bad.
So what's the reality now?
2017-7-9
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 10:50
Program a 30,000' Litchi mission & see how that works out for you.  Read the suas articles linked above.  DJI is already forcing app updates.  As we saw over the July 4th holiday authority & ability to fly the drone you thought you purchased is contingent on permission to fly from DJI.  All the poor folk who jumped on these sudden releases of new firmware just set themselves up for total DJI control of the drones they in reality only "lease."  Then there is the data collection as icing on the cake.  Now I understand why I was getting occasional "DJI Go has stopped working" messages on my phone & tablets even when the software had not been run.

Effective immediately all DJI software has been removed from my devices.  There will be no further FW updates installed on my drones, nor any DJI software for me given the current state of what I consider presumptuous, controlling, & unethical conduct.

Nonetheless, how do you explain that my P4P has no problems flying?
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 15:30
I don't know how or where you fly, or what your experience & aspirations are for your drone, but consider yourself fortunate to have escaped the frustration so many others have endured.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  As I suggested, program a 30,000' Litchi mission with your P4P & see how that works out without the ability to disable Smart-RTH.

The ability to disable smart RTH is still a function in P4 latest builds, must be a glitch in P4A, P4P build. They also state in the P4 notes that they have 'Optimised Smart RTH' so it doesn't look like it's going to be removed. I can see no logic at all in them removing it.
2017-7-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 15:44
It isn't that Smart-RTH is being removed.  It is the removal of the ability to disable it that is the issue.  From conversations posted here by DJI staff it would appear this was done deliberately by design &  was NOT an omission.   A P4P with high capacity battery can do ~60,000' runs.  A couple weeks back I watched one bail on a mission at a hair over 21,000' with 75% battery remaining

I can disable smart RTH on my P4 but not on my p4p , why would they change it on one and not the other, I figure this was a glitch which will return in future firmware update.
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 15:44
It isn't that Smart-RTH is being removed.  It is the removal of the ability to disable it that is the issue.  From conversations posted here by DJI staff it would appear this was done deliberately by design &  was NOT an omission.   A P4P with high capacity battery can do ~60,000' runs.  A couple weeks back I watched one bail on a mission at a hair over 21,000' with 75% battery remaining

I did not say they were removing Smart RTH, but as you say the ability to enable/disable it.

So they have deliberately removed the enable/disable from the P4A & P4P, but enable and disable is still working on P4 after latest builds ? That makes no sense, and a P4 with a high capacity battery (batteries are interchangeable in P4 series) probably has same range as P4P. I would suggest that the front line staff here are not always party to the latest information.

IMG_0078 reduced - Copy.png
2017-7-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 16:29
To be blunt it doesn't appear ANYONE at DJI knows what's going on.  Or at least they are not forthright about things.  A short time ago Brendan Schulman, rather high up the DJI chain,  stated emphatically, "updates are not mandatory!"  He even accused suasnews of spreading disinformation when they reported on the forced updates.  Yet here is a screenshot from my device with a forced, mandatory, app update. Go figure?

And there are many users happily flying without updating.
I see that same update message, ignore it and fly unaffected.
Forced updates?  ...  What forced updates?
2017-7-9
Use props
Jeffames226
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 18:52
Not intending to be rude but what part of "you can't ignore the update" do you not understand?   Do you see an ignore option?  You can't click off of it!  You can't click anywhere, except maybe on Update which I'm not doing.  You can't even exit the app!  You actually have to kill the app to get out.

It is useless arguing with these shills.  Its some kind of delusion where they are incapable of seeing any other viewpoint other than what DJI has brainwashed into them.
2017-7-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Not intending to be rude but what part of "you can't ignore the update" do you not understand?   Do you see an ignore option?  You can't click off of it!  You can't click anywhere, except maybe on Update which I'm not doing.  You can't even exit the app!  You actually have to kill the app to get out.

Well what works for me is to just ignore the warning.
You know ... ignore as in:  disregard, take no notice of, pay no attention to etc.
(like I do with the incessant and inane bleating from Jeffjames)
I just click on the background and get on with flying.
I don't know whether it works on your system or not but it works for me.
I just went and flew 3 batteries happily that way.
2017-7-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Has it occurred to you that Labroides is using a tablet, not a phone like you are? In which case the message would come up in a window, not covering the entire screen, with the main app behind it. So as he says, he simply clicked on the main app, the message window went away and he continued flying.
2017-7-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Jeffames226 Posted at 2017-7-9 19:31
It is useless arguing with these shills.  Its some kind of delusion where they are incapable of seeing any other viewpoint other than what DJI has brainwashed into them.

Oh good on you, no useful advice of your own so you call him a shill. Labroides has contributed more assistance on this forum than you ever will. Bugger off.
2017-7-9
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
China

whatever you guys say that we should TEST our drones after absolute useless update again... DJI IS LYING with their information they gave us before. stucked on an island with bad internet and unable to update even we smash the update button like crazy sucks. but DJI said before: "dont worry you can just fly and ignore the update" thats a lie.

i feel really sorry for OP because i got exact same situation.

but even now after i made that useless update i have NOTHING but problems. randomly stucked at 30m distance. so land one time and start again "fix" this bug and i can fly normal. but still wasting some % battery on each flight for this nonsense procedure.
and i log on my account after update, still get all the buggy messages. recently a scary one: even my home point is set to right place in map the app tell my my home point distance is 890000m away and i constantly getting the battery warning that my drone will come automatically back in 10 seconds. if i smash the RTH button it comes back where is start but all these hundred bugs freaking me out every time.

to say that the operator didnt test his equipment enough before a big shooting is BS. i sure tested mine after last update, confirmed with a qualitfied worker in DJI shop everything BEFORE fly to remote location and even there i test it successfully again before the "motors locked" bug grounded me.

what i got from last nightmare update:
- home point set 890km away from start whatever i do.
- getting battery warnings that drone cant make it home if i dont turn around now and fly the 890km back  (how ridiculous) because if i push home button it fly back the 60m distance and land without problem.
- random green screens, disconnects, unstable video link even i was able to fly perfect at same location so many times before
- each flight after change battery i can only fly 30m distance so i must come back to land, stop motors, start again and then i can fly as far i like. so annoying!
- vision sensors suddenly need re calibrate but since the DJI assistant 2 cant connect to my P4 whatever i do its useless to try that. so every flight i get constant warning about my not working but already turned off vision sensors every 5 seconds.
- many more bugs i dont want post now cause the list is endless

if people have only positive experience with their p4 - congratulations. enjoy it as you still can. but say its all users fault is just wrong. i also fly DJI for many years but what they are doing recentlyis just beyond every logic and very customer unfriendly
HOW DISAPPOINTING DJI!
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PandaFlyingcat Posted at 2017-7-9 21:07
whatever you guys say that we should TEST our drones after absolute useless update again... DJI IS LYING with their information they gave us before. stucked on an island with bad internet and unable to update even we smash the update button like crazy sucks. but DJI said before: "dont worry you can just fly and ignore the update" thats a lie.

i feel really sorry for OP because i got exact same situation.

Is there any possibility you could connect to another computer to get latest version of Assistant 2 working ? Some if not all of your problems could be sorted out if that could be done.

VPS sensor calibration for altitude and stability issues.

A complete firmware refresh and factory reset might sort out  a number of things.

Latest build for P4 appears to include a battery update not mentioned anywhere, and it may be same for P4P & P4A builds that may account for the battery swap out problem.

2017-7-9
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
China

i also thought that and tried it before. i made a full reset and install all again. same results. but i will go to my DJI store around soon and ask them to connect to assistant 2. thanks for idea buddy
2017-7-10
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-8 15:36
How thick do you have to be to believe that this is how DJI intend things to be?
Really?

LABROIDES,Then explain to us why  DJI is making us upgrade, Tightening the noose on NFZ, leaving so many people with useless quads? DJI is taking no steps to explain it, Perhaps you can lend some concrete information that will explain it all. They sold a product a year ago that worked fine, now they are paper weights.
2017-7-10
Use props
Alxy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84350 ft
Switzerland

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-8 10:01
U need internet only ONCE after the firmware upgrade....
I feel for you, but.. either you upgraded and did not test before a big and serous job, or DJI is wrong, and what they said is not true..
The idea was supposed to be - upgrade app and firmware, the next flight has to have internet available, the system will ask you to login to your go account again and validate.

This statement is not true. I get a message "firmware update is required" and all the operations of the AC are blocked. I did not update anything at all!
For many persons the apps are updated automatically in the background. It means that may be tomorrow the app is updated with a new rule or feature that will make the AC useless.
2017-7-10
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-9 09:19

Aloha 007,

And I thought I had it bad.  Wow, this is strange.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-9 09:19

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

2017-7-10
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-10 01:43
Npt sure what he is using but i have Android 5, 6, or 7.  Multiple devices, phones & tablets..  ALL stuck at "Mandatory update" screen.

Galaxy S6 Edge, Android 7,

Aloha DB,

It looks to me like DJI wants a conversation with you about their product use.  You may end up continuing to have problems until you deal with your DJI issues directly with DJI.

DJI has the ability to manage specific products as well as regional products.  This is not rocket science.  Deal with DJI directly and find out what their problem with you is.

I like your videos too much to see you in this limbo.  DJI indicates that you should be able to use Litchi for flight operations.  Can you still use Litchi for flights?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-10 01:28
That doesnt work for me.  I cannot click on or around anything as there is no effect.  What device are you using?

Nvidia Shield
It might be the device ... but it's more likely to be something else.
2017-7-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sasquad Posted at 2017-7-10 01:09
LABROIDES,Then explain to us why  DJI is making us upgrade, Tightening the noose on NFZ, leaving so many people with useless quads? DJI is taking no steps to explain it, Perhaps you can lend some concrete information that will explain it all. They sold a product a year ago that worked fine, now they are paper weights.

It's obvious that DJI want to stop all their customers flying and send their business down the drain.
There are some here that seem to believe that.
But if you think that's a bit far-fetched, then there must be another explanation.
What makes the most sense to you?
2017-7-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-10 01:43
Npt sure what he is using but i have Android 5, 6, or 7.  Multiple devices, phones & tablets..  ALL stuck at "Mandatory update" screen.

Galaxy S6 Edge, Android 7,

'Nexus 7 (2013), Android 6.  This one works but only  because Wi-Fi is disabled so the app hasn't been flagged to force the mandatory update.  If I let it go online it will suffer the same fate as all the others.'

It is a viable option, I switched off app updates years ago, and I have not suffered at all, in fact my flightsd are perfect examples of the aircraft doing what it should.
2017-7-10
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Maybe it's a Hemorrhoid problem? Do iOS platforms have the same issues?
2017-7-10
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Sasquad Posted at 2017-7-10 01:09

Well, I can explain the why.. because many morons fly where they should not and endanger people and aircraft.. if morons keep flying over fire aerial operations, the firmware/app will eventually require internet all the time, so they can download TFR data...  so, less morons flying where and way they should not, less chance for more restriction.. simple...
2017-7-10
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-10 07:58
Well, I can explain the why.. because many morons fly where they should not and endanger people and aircraft.. if morons keep flying over fire aerial operations, the firmware/app will eventually require internet all the time, so they can download TFR data...  so, less morons flying where and way they should not, less chance for more restriction.. simple...

Agreed completely...  people who can't seem to follow the rules, or have bad intentions, screw everything up for the rest of us.  

How many years have we had to remove our shoes at the airport because one ONE PERSON?
2017-7-10
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-10 02:37
It's obvious that DJI want to stop all their customers flying and send their business down the drain.
There are some here that seem to believe that.
But if you think that's a bit far-fetched, then there must be another explanation.

Heh... Labroides.
I agree that some of those posting here seem to think that DJI is purposefully cutting their own throats.  Like there is some huge DJI conspiracy to undermine us all.

Obviously, these are just people who are venting, but it is irritating to waste our time reading conspiracy theories amongst the important posts.

Admittedly, DJI is in a tough situation with supporting countless devices, drones, accessories, etc... and they seem to be making some mistakes lately.  This latest update SNAFU has basically grounded my two birds from doing any paid video work (my bread and butter)... and unless they find the errant code that is over taxing the iPad Mini 2 (and others) causing an overheating situation (leading to video transmission loss), many of us are going to need to buy new devices (even though the specs on the DJI website still show my device as compatible).
2017-7-10
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141302 ft
United States

Except it's not DJI's place to make sure folks are following the rules.
2017-7-10
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

mhoppes Posted at 2017-7-10 08:13
Except it's not DJI's place to make sure folks are following the rules.

then whose is it? if they do not take action,  drones will be outlawed as a consumer product in a few years.. kiss the hobby and generally accessible flying camera good bye.... unless u want to may 8000+ and get a full flying platform, full flying clearance full of regulations, buy a special slr for another 8000+ and so on.. No thx.. I'd rather have DJI stop the idiots the best they can, so I can keep flying....
2017-7-10
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-10 02:58
I have auto updates disabled for select apps, including Go, Go 4, & Litchi, so as not to get hit with something unexpected.  Unfortunately Go is flagging itself as soon as it loads & connects.

I can't confirm this exactly, but it may be the case that your app is getting incorrect information about the firmware. It should not be forcing you to update. This is why most users aren't having the same issues, but for some that are, it's not tolerable.

Have you tried reinstalling it?
2017-7-10
Use props
mhoppes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141302 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-10 08:25
then whose is it? if they do not take action,  drones will be outlawed as a consumer product in a few years.. kiss the hobby and generally accessible flying camera good bye.... unless u want to may 8000+ and get a full flying platform, full flying clearance full of regulations, buy a special slr for another 8000+ and so on.. No thx.. I'd rather have DJI stop the idiots the best they can, so I can keep flying....

Let's settle down and take the tin foil hat off.

People have been flying model aircraft without issue for decades.  The FAA does not have the authority to regulate recreational use of model aircraft, which is what most of these issues are caused by.

Perhaps the solution is to stop selling quad-copters and other "easy to fly aircraft" to the general public.
2017-7-10
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

Thx mate! I will test the next time i can...  but I KNOW I flew well over that distance with no internet yesterday, no issue.. now I did not try without the app.. just radio.. i will test that - and also what happens if the app crashes, and i am 1000 ft away, will it RTH properly? That is worth knowing....
2017-7-10
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

mhoppes Posted at 2017-7-10 08:29
Let's settle down and take the tin foil hat off.

People have been flying model aircraft without issue for decades.  The FAA does not have the authority to regulate recreational use of model aircraft, which is what most of these issues are caused by.

When's the last time you heard of an RC airplane of rc helicopter flying around an airport? Now, multirotors, yes... I agree that the problem is too much general public.. but just removing them from REI, Target, WalMart, thousands other stores, and moving them to hobby stores only, will not resolve the issue.. they are too easy to fly... so what do you suggest? everyone who want's to buy one has to go through background check, register with FAA and get some sort of cert? U did say FAA cannot regulate.. and yet, quads are a DIRECT THREAT to aviation, because of general public stupidity.. I really think DJI is doing the best they can to help.... u suggest removing drones from general public hands? Really? How?
2017-7-10
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-10 08:44
When's the last time you heard of an RC airplane of rc helicopter flying around an airport? Now, multirotors, yes... I agree that the problem is too much general public.. but just removing them from REI, Target, WalMart, thousands other stores, and moving them to hobby stores only, will not resolve the issue.. they are too easy to fly... so what do you suggest? everyone who want's to buy one has to go through background check, register with FAA and get some sort of cert? U did say FAA cannot regulate.. and yet, quads are a DIRECT THREAT to aviation, because of general public stupidity.. I really think DJI is doing the best they can to help.... u suggest removing drones from general public hands? Really? How?

All these speculations, conspiracy theories, people's moronity or not, responsibility or not, all these things aside - there's a messy situation right now, no doubt. Unfortunately the timing is the worst possible, as thousands of hardcore hobbyists and enthusiasts are in the middle of nowhere on summer vacations with malfunctioning aircrafts. I'm in such situation with a flock of 3 machines (Inspire 1 Pro, P3P and P4P+), all exhibiting erratic behavior at random since the beginning of this expedition. I did invest more than 12K in DJI aircrafts for one and only reason: to fly within specified distance radius and within allowed airspaces to record the images. That's all. Not to fight with machines trying to execute basic duties listed in specifications, internet or not in the air ... It's ruining my precisely planned summer vacation, and there's not too many of these vacations left for me ...
2017-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules