Aircraft totally unstable and aggressive after recent firmware up...
122511 1960 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans22a232c7 Posted at 2017-7-8 16:53
Hey guys, I upgraded the DJI App and it started working normally.  The release notes tell you you need to upgrade to the latest app.

Thanks, but in my case it is the most recent GO version - v4.1.3
2017-7-8
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-8 16:54
OK, now that I've seen the videos, I'll confirm that my P4 has the same problem. I discounted it as an issue, as it was a strong wind yesterday and I assumed the P4 was just having trouble maintaining the hover. It seemed OK in flight though, but it the weather is OK I'll take the P4 out and be more watchful. I was wondering if it does it with VPS turned off - which would suggest it's the positioning system if it just does it just during hover - but I'm clutching at straws, I know...

Re the VPS hovering question, I tried most of my testing way above the VPS range just to make sure that it wasn't VPS that was causing the problem. It made no difference. In straight flight at a constant speed, the drone still wobbled aggressively to the point where it sometimes looked like it was going to totally lose control.
Both DJI Go 4 and Litchi flights reacted in the same manner.

EDIT.

Early this morning (very early!), I forced a total firmware refresh using the DJI Go 4 app (I had used DJI Assistant for the first update)
I then did an IMU calibration.

Just now, I've taken it for a 15 minute flight and noticed the following:-

Notes on flying conditions.
Only a very light breeze at the time (2-3mph and not very gusty)
I have flown the P4 and my previous P3A on hundreds of occasions over the last wo years so I have a very good feel for how Phantoms behave.

Observations.

1. The firmware reinstall and IMU calibration may have improved the situation. (I had done numerous IMU calibrations yesterday but they didn't seem to make any difference then).  The aircraft appears to be wobbling less violently although it's still far from being "normal"

3. The wobbling appears to be at its worst when flying into the wind (backwards or forwards doesn't make any difference so long as you're flying against the wind)

4. The IMU sensors (ACC1 and ACC2) are almost identical after a calibration but, after flight, they are different (0.003 vs 0.010) although they are both still in the "excellent" zone. I don't know whether this was previously the case with older firmware

4. It appears to be the right front corner of the drone which initially dips and then the drone tries to compensate ( I didn't think to check whether it's the rear left motor that dips when flying backwards).

5. When sitting on the bench (after calibration), the ACC1 and ACC2 sensors occasionally changed from a value to "moving" which seems strange given that it was sitting on the floor.

My personal belief is that is an IMU issue. I am reluctant to use the chat line at this stage because I know they will simply ignore my claims that it was OK until I did the firmware update and will ask me to return it. The fact is that the drone flew perfectly until the time that the new firmware was installed.

There are clearly multiple other users who are experiencing the same issue so why wasn't the problem picked up during beta testing? Perhaps some beta testers could advise if this version is actually the same/similar to what they tested.

Any thoughts re the observations above would be appreciated. I hope this helps others to track down the cause.
At this stage, I would still rather be able to reinstall the previous firmware which, despite not having some of the new features, was flying perfectly.
2017-7-8
Use props
calmax
lvl.3
United States

Same thing happened to my phantom 4 after firmware update.  The wobble or shake occurred when I was landing, and the whole drone just tip over, landed upside down.  Second try, it smashed into wall and crashed.  I NEVER crash my phantom 4 before the update.  I was lucky that my drone wasn't damaged from both crash.  I did notice after both incident, phantom 4 shuts down by itself and reboot again by itself.  I just test fly again earlier, the drone seems to be flying very stable now? I am guessing you probably need to reboot the drone few times after firmware update to make it function normally.   
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Barnston Posted at 2017-7-8 11:28
I am experiencing a number of issues after the new update.
1 Instability in manual flight
2 Terrain following, doesn't

I hope you don't mind me using your list as a comparison, I've added my comments base on my experiences of my first flights yesterday. After I had done the updates I calibrated everything (My logic being that any pre-stored bias, trim, offset values whatever they might be labelled would have been deleted).

1 Instability in manual flight  (When I flew yesterday I was already aware that some were reporting instability in flight. During my flights I was surprised at how stable all appeared to be)
2 Terrain following, doesn't   (This was my first ever use of 'Terrain Follow'. I found this to work well with me walking up a steady incline of about 10 degrees over a distance of about 200 yards. on the return part of the journey the aircraft did not descend to follow path downhill (what I expected). (according to the spec' 'Terrain Follow' only operates on slopes up to 20 degrees)

3 A lot of wobble when using the new 'draw path' mode (whatever it's called)         (I did not test the draw function)
4 A number of high wind warnings on a calm(ish) day (I had several of these warnings during my flights at three different locations, there was a moderate wind varying 6-12 mph.)
5 Video transmission dropout between drone and controller, even at short range    (I witnessed this on one occasion during my one hour of testing, under the strongest wind during my testing (very hard to judge but possibly 20 mph) I had the Gimbal flip right and video loss for 2-3 seconds. This was open area, direct line of sight at about 841 feet from home. It may have been interference from my device wifi, or my cell phone, or perhaps a bug in software/firmware).

6 The drone 'feels' more sensitive to the controls (a bit skittish) (I would agree more sensitive to controls, but that's probably down to 'Expo' settings etc)

My first impressions of using the updates on my P4 were good, I was surprised at how steady the hover was. I tested hover out from a few inches off ground up to head height and saw no problems.
(And I'm keeping an open mind on, and will continue to watch for instability)

EDIT:- I'd forgotten to mention the one thing that I was focussed on was horizon level on the P4 with updates. Where I fly there usually is never a flat horizon, so if it were slightly off it would hardly be noticeable. After the update I flew in areas where I could test this, and was happy that the horizon was level, stable, and could survive several 360 degree full speed yaws without any apparent problems.
2017-7-8
Use props
Pakawan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7264 ft
Thailand

M109 Posted at 2017-7-8 16:14
Also noticed VPS shows height of 0.1m when drone sitting on the ground which is about the distance from the ultrasonic sensors to the ground, used to be 0.0m with previous firmware

I'm noticed this too.
I shouldn't have update new firmware. Its unstable.
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pakawan Posted at 2017-7-9 00:27
I'm noticed this too.
I shouldn't have update new firmware. Its unstable.

My one's set to imperial and says 0.3 feet or four inches (A.K.A 0.1 m). My tape measure says it's exactly four inches from the ultrasonic sensors to the surface the aircraft is sitting on.

Why does such accuracy make you think you shouldn't have updated ?
2017-7-9
Use props
Pakawan
lvl.3
Thailand

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-9 00:43
My one's set to imperial and says 0.3 feet or four inches (A.K.A 0.1 m). My tape measure says it's exactly four inches from the ultrasonic sensors to the surface the aircraft is sitting on.

Why does such accuracy make you think you shouldn't have updated ?

I have problem like everyone, shaky even very light breeze.
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pakawan Posted at 2017-7-9 00:52
I have problem like everyone, shaky even very light breeze.

Have you calibrated the aircraft after the updates ?
2017-7-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-9 00:58

I did - yes.
My P4 have the nervous tick too. But I've decided it's enough for this weekend. During the week I'll refresh the firmware and do another IMU calibration. I can't help but thing there's something in that...
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-9 01:01
I did - yes.
My P4 have the nervous tick too. But I've decided it's enough for this weekend. During the week I'll refresh the firmware and do another IMU calibration. I can't help but thing there's something in that...

When I did my calibrations, I'd completely forgotten the 'cool it down' mantra for the IMU, and just did it 'as is' on my level (ish) computer desk at about 20C room temperature. Took a bit of head scratching to figure out the new '3D' routine, as compared to the old 'leave it well alone, and don't breathe' routine. But it seemed to work. My only negative as I mentioned above was a loss of video for 2-3 seconds at about 841 feet from home point, out in the wilds so no interference other than perhaps the iPad wifi or cell phone.

Edit:- And the IMU warm up period is quite quick, considering it was calibrated warm. That is certainly different from previous build.

2017-7-9
Use props
Pakawan
lvl.3
Thailand

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-9 00:58

Yes, I have calibrated IMU and Compass, I will try calibrate sensors after full battery charge.
2017-7-9
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to ask the question,....if the previous firmware worked for you, and your drone flew without any problems,...why would you take the chance of upgrading the firmware and possibly mess up a great flying aircraft? I havent upgraded my P4P since I purchased it.
2017-7-9
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-7-9 02:10
I have to ask the question,....if the previous firmware worked for you, and your drone flew without any problems,...why would you take the chance of upgrading the firmware and possibly mess up a great flying aircraft? I havent upgraded my P4P since I purchased it.

Posts like that really don't help the cause. A number of people have had stability issues with the latest update and this thread is intended for those who want to discuss, understand and, hopefully, resolve the problem.

Moshe.mmm took the initiative to specifically setup this thread to give focus to an ever growing collection of folk having a similar issue with stability after this latest update.
Hopefully, DJI will come the party and provide a resolution.
2017-7-9
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-7-9 02:14
Posts like that really don't help the cause. A number of people have had stability issues with the latest update and this thread is intended for those who want to discuss, understand and, hopefully, resolve the problem.

This advise is to help others in the future to NOT create a problem for themselves by upgrading a perfectly flying aircraft....thats all.
2017-7-9
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-7-9 02:18
This advise is to help others in the future to NOT create a problem for themselves by upgrading a perfectly flying aircraft....thats all.

People wanted to take advantage of the features that brought the P4 closer in line with the newer models, it wasn't just bug fixes and security patches, it was some pretty profound new functionality. That's why we have all upgraded.
2017-7-9
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-9 02:27
People wanted to take advantage of the features that brought the P4 closer in line with the newer models, it wasn't just bug fixes and security patches, it was some pretty profound new functionality. That's why we have all upgraded.

Totally agree with your point. I've also updated but Iam a little nervous about flying now
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-7-9 02:10

In my instance I chose to update my firmware/software because:-

1) It has resolved the horizon tilt issue that I was sometimes aware of, which for me was the single biggest reason. I've seen a number of reports in P4 & P4P forums to suggest this has been of benefit to many.

2) It gives me additional features, some of which I would use quite often. Tripod Mode, Terrain Follow being the ones of interest to me in the new build.

Edit:- It does provide almost full functional use of Goggles, head tracking of gimbal horizontal/verticle (tested), or verticle control of gimbal with horizontal control of aircraft yaw (Not yet tested this), plus other bits :-)

3) There may also be a number of 'fixes' that may slip in without mention.

On the down side it may have introduced new issues (which often happens in the short term). In my instance I will be keeping an eye on the video transmission, I had a 2-3 second loss of video over a one hour flying time. Was this a glitch, time will tell ? But it wasn't a show stopper for me.
Others have mentioned instability in flight, another for me to keep an eye on, but I've not seen as yet.

If we lived by the 'if it works don't fix it' mantra, then I think technology would never have progressed. I used to have a 75/1200 Baud modem (Approx' b/s), now it's 20/76 Mb/s modem, much better.

2017-7-9
Use props
Moto1981
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4502812 ft
Poland

For me is enough  if  i am able  to do downgrade frimware  with  assistant 2 . dji ??
2017-7-9
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

Video transmission dropout between drone and controller, even at 50 M short range . before i was flying on same remote location Above 3500 Meter
and drone is also unstable .
2017-7-9
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Is someone knows if DJI is working to address this issue?
2017-7-9
Use props
M109
lvl.4

New Zealand

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-9 12:24
Is someone knows if DJI is working to address this issue?

I have emailed DJI Technical Support so hopefully someone is on to it by now.
2017-7-9
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I haven’t noticed it being unstable. However on occasions I get a double ESC tone. One very quiet. And one at the normal volume. Anyone else have this?
2017-7-9
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

I have the same issue after firmware update.  I performed a calibration after the firmware update finished.  Then I let it cool down to room temp and performed IMU calibration.  I shutdown and restarted the P4 then went on to gimbal calibration.  Finally, I finished with a compass calibration.  
I let it cool down for a bit then turned it on only to see the message IMU Error.  Calibrate IMU for a couple of seconds then goes away.  Thinking the IMU calibration was bad, I re-calibrated at least 3 more times.  
I took the P4 out today in winds about 10 - 12 mph.  I let it hover about 8 ft. and saw how unstable it was compared to previous firmware.  It was jumping and moving.  I went up maybe another 15 feet but decided against going anywhere because I did not feel it was safe to fly the way it was jumping around.

I really hope they fix this in a few weeks rather than months.  It's not usable for anything other than being a paperweight.
2017-7-9
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

After the upgrade I got ESC error but after reboot the error went away
2017-7-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-7-9 14:12
I have the same issue after firmware update.  I performed a calibration after the firmware update finished.  Then I let it cool down to room temp and performed IMU calibration.  I shutdown and restarted the P4 then went on to gimbal calibration.  Finally, I finished with a compass calibration.  
I let it cool down for a bit then turned it on only to see the message IMU Error.  Calibrate IMU for a couple of seconds then goes away.  Thinking the IMU calibration was bad, I re-calibrated at least 3 more times.  
I took the P4 out today in winds about 10 - 12 mph.  I let it hover about 8 ft. and saw how unstable it was compared to previous firmware.  It was jumping and moving.  I went up maybe another 15 feet but decided against going anywhere because I did not feel it was safe to fly the way it was jumping around.

Mine has the 'nervous tick' too, but only noticible when hovering close to me. I've taken it out quite a distance (1.5Klm) over 3 flights and all is OK otherwise. Video taken still appears OK, so I assume that the gimbal compensated well for the occasional jerk when it's hovering.
Regardless, it's not right. I hope that DJI resolves this soon - I don't have my "see! a perfect hover" party trick anymore. And you have to wonder what it's doing to the motors...
2017-7-9
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

I have a "perfect hover", but when flying fowards and backwards and I slow down slighty the speed (a very soft right stick release) it jerks a lot, and the gimbal is unable to handle with it, so the video footage wobbles. I've just done a complete recalibration and modified the pitch gain to 95% and exponencial to 0.40, Tomorrow I'll test it again to see if there is any improvement.
2017-7-9
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-9 14:16
Mine has the 'nervous tick' too, but only noticible when hovering close to me. I've taken it out quite a distance (1.5Klm) over 3 flights and all is OK otherwise. Video taken still appears OK, so I assume that the gimbal compensated well for the occasional jerk when it's hovering.
Regardless, it's not right. I hope that DJI resolves this soon - I don't have my "see! a perfect hover" party trick anymore. And you have to wonder what it's doing to the motors...

After my second test flight today - I'm in pretty much the same boat. In fact, I was given a little more confidence today having thrown it about a bit - it handled well. The new modes all seemed to work (couldn't get it to take a picture of me in gesture mode... but who really cares?).

But there is something going on. Occasional blips for no good reason. I particularly notice it when descending at speed, but I think that's just because my eyes can track the movement better from directly above.  If motors are overcompensating for no reason, my biggest fear is what they will do when there is a  GOOD reason (35mph gust for example).

A friend of mine wanted me to film him kayaking today and I said I didn't feel comfortable above the water atm. That about sums it up given that I spend 90% of my time over water.

I'm going to keep flying it, but with a large degree of caution.
2017-7-9
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Updated 2 P4, flying 3 batteries each. No problem at all. Range are as good as ever. Altitude reading is much more accurate.
Probably your problem might be specific to some manufacturing lots.
2017-7-9
Use props
Tros26
New
Flight distance : 15131 ft
Costa Rica

M109 Posted at 2017-7-8 16:14
Also noticed VPS shows height of 0.1m when drone sitting on the ground which is about the distance from the ultrasonic sensors to the ground, used to be 0.0m with previous firmware

I just did the update and it also changed. Does this affect anything though?
2017-7-9
Use props
Cian McLiam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 366496 ft
Ireland

I have exactly the same issue, even in calm conditions it wobbles and has jerky movements in forward flight. It looks and sounds like something is broken. I had a buyer for my Phantom 4 but it can't sell it or fly it like this. DJI need to fix this asap.
2017-7-10
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Spain

Today I have done a new test. Yesterday I recalibrated the whole system and today the Compass before the flight. I have lowed brake sensitivity to the minimum (70) and attitude to 50. I have reduced the pitch gain to 85 and I have been making modifications. My impressions:
1.-The Hover is very stable, more than before the update.
2.-It seems that the problem of the horizon has improved a lot, it do not tilt with the turns. Anyway I have to test it to the sea shore to confirm it, with a completely flat horizon.
3.-Flight modes work fine, but I'm not much fan of automatic modes, so I have not tried much.
4.-The problems of aggressive braking are maintained despite of the multiple variations of the gain, sensitivity and exponential parameters. There do not seem to be significant differences between some parameters and others, as if it did not change anything at all. In fact the braking distance seems the same with the sensitivity at 100, at 85 and at 70.
5.-It seems that the stability of the gimbal has improved slightly compared to yesterday, the image no longer vibrates so much in braking (it is also true that there was no wind at all today). But just when accelerating you see for an instant the propellers (it was not in sport mode) and when braking you see the propellers and even the tip of the front arms, at speeds of less than 10 m / sec, even at 6 m / s before braking !!!!!!!.
6.-No problems with video streaming, but did not move more than 500 m.
Sorry for my English. DJI, try to solve this issue asap, please, please, please
2017-7-10
Use props
luisFOSoares
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221578 ft

Netherlands

Just got my first drone (P4) yesterday and did the update (Im a simple man , i see update i do it ! ) and today i will do my first fly but to be honest im now a little scared. Dont wanna brake it!
2017-7-10
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Spain

One more thing: I get two flight time minutes less than before the update
2017-7-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just for a split second I misread the thread title:-

"Users totally unstable and aggressive after recent firmware up..."
2017-7-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pareja IV Posted at 2017-7-10 01:35
Today I have done a new test. Yesterday I recalibrated the whole system and today the Compass before the flight. I have lowed brake sensitivity to the minimum (70) and attitude to 50. I have reduced the pitch gain to 85 and I have been making modifications. My impressions:
1.-The Hover is very stable, more than before the update.
2.-It seems that the problem of the horizon has improved a lot, it do not tilt with the turns. Anyway I have to test it to the sea shore to confirm it, with a completely flat horizon.

Can I ask which display device are you using ? In case there's any difference between Android & IOS App's.
2017-7-10
Use props
Cian McLiam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 366496 ft
Ireland

My P4 is from an early batch, start of May 2016. Are there recently bought aircraft that have this problem? My P4 had the altitude drop problem after forward flying that was fixed with firmware but has been perfect until this update. If DJI think they can abandon users of a discontinued product they can think again.
2017-7-10
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Spain

I have taken my sedative pills before posting what I have found after the update, sorry if my post looks like agressive or unstable, can be a redaction problem, my English is not good
2017-7-10
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Spain

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-10 02:30
Can I ask which display device are you using ? In case there's any difference between Android & IOS App's.

Im using an iPad 4 mini
2017-7-10
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

It looks like to me that they have just carried over some of the settings for the Mavic. It just seems it’s over sensitive. Have flown with now issues. And used flight modes and that works. Landing protection also works well stopping a little distance from the ground to confirm landing.
2017-7-10
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Dji support staff,
Could you please address this issue asap?
It's not luxury like adding new flight modes.
This is a matter of safety of the people underneath the aircraft and of the drone itself.
Please comment on my thread.
Thank you.
Moshe.
2017-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules