Aircraft totally unstable and aggressive after recent firmware up...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

JockC Posted at 2017-8-7 15:00
Discussing whether or not the USA has banned some or all use of DJI equipment is really digressing from the topic of this thread which is that many users have experienced totally unacceptable P4 flight behaviour after installing what was clearly a poorly tested firmware upgrade from DJI.
Despite the issue now being more than one month old, we have heard nothing conclusive from DJI about how or when this might be fixed, just repeated requests to be patient (like the initial beta testers who had to wait "patiently" for six months).

Agreed. Sadly, we're not the only ones with frustrations. Head over to the P4P lounge and you will find people equally upset about firmware. Head over to the Osmo+ lounge and you will find that their cameras can't focus at all.

It is a sorry state of affairs.
2017-8-7
Use props
fans4c20361d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1652674 ft
United States

BVB Posted at 2017-7-8 11:35
Agreed. Experiencing the same issues with my P4 and recent firmware upgrade.

Yes I am experiencing exactly the same things!
2017-8-7
Use props
fans29c178c8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5441411 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very same issues with my standard P4. Very unstable flight, almost falls out of sky at high speeds... PLEASE FIX IT!!!!!
2017-8-7
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-7 16:42
Agreed. Sadly, we're not the only ones with frustrations. Head over to the P4P lounge and you will find people equally upset about firmware. Head over to the Osmo+ lounge and you will find that their cameras can't focus at all.

It is a sorry state of affairs.

Yup!

It is happening with my P4P.
2017-8-7
Use props
Slipstrm111
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5256 ft
Mexico

Discussing whether or not the USA has banned some or all use of DJI equipment is really digressing from the topic of this thread which is that many users have experienced totally unacceptable P4 flight behaviour after installing what was clearly a poorly tested firmware upgrade from DJI.
Despite the issue now being more than one month old, we have heard nothing conclusive from DJI about how or when this might be fixed, just repeated requests to be patient (like the initial beta testers who had to wait "patiently" for six months).

I agree.....very well stated.
What we do know is that:
1. DJI released firmware that was clearly flawed with several issues being identified by many users (some issues have grounded the devices)
2. The original DJI Assistant software and DJI support staff stated that firmware could be rolled back but that option was removed leaving owners with no fall back from the faulty update.
3. Some folk in these threads devised a very easy and successful interim solution to roll back the firmware  but those posts were removed by DJI with no alternative solution provided.
3. Folk in this thread were invited to provide their email address so that beta firmware could be rolled out but that beta code was, to the best of my knowledge, never sent to any P4 users
4. One month later and there are still numerous owners (including many commercial users) unable to fly their P4s  due to a faulty firmware release and the best that DJI can do is to advise us to "be patient".

I really don't know what "being patient" is meant to mean given that there have been absolutely no timeframes or details given by DJI in terms of progress in resolving the issues or, in fact, about any details surrounding these issues at all.
I've loved using by original P3A and my P4 but this latest firmware disgrace and the way it's being managed is simply unacceptable.
2017-8-7
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18954370 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

Agreed especially point 4.  
2017-8-8
Use props
fans4cad3099
lvl.1
Greece

Phantom 4 same situation..tried everything latest firmware is a disaster.My quad is grounded until DJI offers a solution,very disappointed!
2017-8-8
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18954370 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

F.KOK Posted at 2017-8-8 00:36
Agreed especially point 4.

I really, really want to work together with DJI from whom we have bought the equipment, and also with other Drone owners from whom you can get a lot of information and help, but in certain cases and issues like this latest firmware update 106 to say or asked something on the forum or Support does mean very little and sometimes nothing at all. Some questions and statements that really have to been take notice of and looked into have no real effect or reply and a lot of nice people around the world get very frustrated for a very good reason. Like a lot of owners I still can not use the Drone for work after a month of waiting. How totally unfair and ridiculous it is to bought something that is working quite well and then get unusable after a update and although you have tried everything out there to get it work again, and all the talking about it and sometimes people who get nasty with one another over it still does not fix it. The fix and response has to come from DJI that is really meaningful for us with unusable Drones after the update. Some owners are very lucky that they not part of this. I was also from May 2016 until 6 July this year. So really give some good news, we need it. Thanks                           
2017-8-8
Use props
Mugre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54058 ft
Argentina

A month without positive answers.
1125 threads and no positive response.
The moderators disappeared.
Will the engineers be working?
Will it be the beginning of the end of DJI?
2017-8-8
Use props
Mephistopheles
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2441089 ft
United States

For all you guys, especially those who say you're commercial, who say you're grounded.  Why don't you just roll back your firmware???
2017-8-8
Use props
fans7f228480
lvl.2
Flight distance : 995259 ft
United Kingdom

Oz Phantom Posted at 2017-8-8 06:42
I have a standard P4 and like many other standard P4 users after the firmware update its essentially unuseable for work - I was like many DJI owners that never had any issues with my previous DJI drones and had excellent reliable gear , I trusted and respected DJI and would have continued to use their gear without any doubt , I never had any previous firmware update issues with DJI or any of my other tech gear ever, so when prompted to update the DJI firmware I didnt hesitate, but numerous resets , reinstalling, calibrations and it is still useless as far as work is concerned, the process to report and get the gear fixed is beyond frustrating and for me still ongoing, if I had a P4 Pro instead of the standard P4 I would probably still be using and trusting DJI ,but the standard P4 firmware fail being so widespread and the extreme difficulty communicating with DJI customer service on any level is time, expense and frustration I can do without- for the guys that dont own a standard P4 I understand how they still love their drones and DJI and hope they get many years out of the gear - but I am certain a few of these people will have issues in the future and when they have to spend time and money and deal with DJI customer service for issues they were not personally responsbile for they will understand our frustration and disappointment, I will not be buying any dJI gear in the future and I am under no delusion that it will effect DJI at all - DJI is forecast to make billions in the next few years - every single standard P4 user could never buy from DJI and tell ten of their friends to never buy from DJI and it wouldnt make any difference. PS I havent been on this forum much - when the inspire guys had their tech problems did people that dont own inspires jump on their threads and tell them how great their P3 firmware was working and how great DJI is?

OK People I will tell you how to get your Birds back up and flying again if you wish, PM Me, I can give you the roll back or the fix its your choice what you wish, Regards TJK.

I like many of you fly a P4 standard and like you I was getting many of the issues that we are all complaining about, but the roll back did get my bird flying again properly and safely, and that was great but after talking with another user on here and on the DJI Phantom 4 Series Owners Support Group, he came up with a fix that at least allows you to fly again with all the new stuff that the new firmware gives and you can fly safely again.
2017-8-8
Use props
fans7f228480
lvl.2
Flight distance : 995259 ft
United Kingdom

I am Thoams Kerrigan I am using the latest DJI go app from there web site, have a P4 Standard and have the latest of everything on my IPAD 2, I have done the IMU and compass calibration so the issues are not pilot error, I have done many tests on this bird, many hours spend looking at how she hovers and how she fly's, in forward motion she slows down then speeds up then slows down again one min you see the props on the Ipad screen then you don't, I have the stick full forward and still this happens, when bringing the bird down from 120 meters, she again slows down then speeds up then slows down again, and on it goes till she is ready to land, I can't turn off the automatic RTH button on the ipad, so have to push the throttle forward and backwards to get control back, now when I rolled back all these issues went away and she flew perfect again, so there is no Pilot error here, I reinstalled the firmware again and again she gave me the issues I have spoke about, on talking with another user, he informed me that if you turn off the Navigation settings then these issues go way, so I went out on Sunday and flew her again with the new firmware on and nothing turned off and aging it was very obvious to me she still had these issues, turned off the navigation settings and she flew like the bird she was before the UPDATE, now please don't try to tell me that this is all pilot error,or even that I have a faulty P4, one she is just over 2 month's old now and two I have been flying and updating software all of 23 years as I am a retired IT Engineer, so I think and hope that I do know what I am doing. would love to hear feed back from any one and please lets not get rude in here, we all want to get these issues resolved, at the time of writing this I have up loaded the two Videos that I did no Sunday to You Tube if you care to watch them, they are Berkhampsted Castle

Berkhampsted Forest.Regards TJK.
2017-8-8
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Flew today was quite high wind. Flight went well had the Phantom Buck once while flying into the wind.
However whats happened to Precision Landing? The check mark no longer appears for auto takeoff and Phantom climbs nowhere near the altitude it used to its only a few feet off ground after takeoff. Have DJI disabled it in the new GO app?
2017-8-8
Use props
GrangerFX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-7 14:45
Not that I don't share your frustrations, but inaccurate statements don't do anyone any favours. The US government hasn't banned all DJI's products. The US Army has issued a memorandum to ban US army personnel from using DJI's products, and at the moment, it isn't even clear if the guidance will in fact be followed. That might be what you meant, but it isn't what you said. Given that the US military and US critical government departments tend to refrain from using Chinese technology wherever possible (Huawei), it's hardly a surprise.

Regardless, I very much doubt there is a correlation between our buggy Phantom 4 firmware and Sino-American relations.

The ban has already spread to NASA so it appears to be growing throughout the US government agency by agency. I see the US government's concerns to be part and parcel of our problem with the firmware: It is a closed system. We can't make any modifications ourselves. DJI has infested it with bugs and removed the ability to downgrade. This tells me, as a software developer, that DJI has a systemic problem.

Here is the bottom line: There is no way that DJI can alter the fact that the individual pilot is responsible for their drones. Even if DJI limits the range to beginner mode, the drone does not have enough sensors or logic to prevent someone from getting a face full of spinning blades if they are not careful. Until fully autonomous drones are developed, DJI needs to back off and give control and responsibility back to the pilots. That includes the decision about what firmware to install.
2017-8-8
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Still no fix after a month now and winter is coming. DJI can we get an update please?
2017-8-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

DJI is making no effort to resolve the issue. They have repeatedly stated that the problems are not firmware but your hardware is the issue. They want you to send it in for repair on your dime. They are charging about $250 to install firmware but they show you a laundry list of parts that they say are bad and then send you a different drone so in case you marked each part you wont have any way of knowing if the parts were actually replaced. They dont want you rolling back the firmware because then you would know its not a hardware issue. If you cant prove it then you cant dispute it.  They are making a killing off of this failware.
support 6.png
2017-8-9
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I would like to pipe in that my Phantom 4 was Brand New replacement from DJI. I checked logs etc before activating it. And I am now experienceing issues even though I didnt straight away. It seems to me that its attempting to go at a certain speed and something thinks its too fast which is bucking when flying forward or backward. Thats my experience anyway. As flying into wind dont seem to cause the issue as its buffering the speed..
2017-8-9
Use props
Stach23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 721795 ft
United States

fans7f228480 Posted at 2017-8-8 07:46
I am Thoams Kerrigan I am using the latest DJI go app from there web site, have a P4 Standard and have the latest of everything on my IPAD 2, I have done the IMU and compass calibration so the issues are not pilot error, I have done many tests on this bird, many hours spend looking at how she hovers and how she fly's, in forward motion she slows down then speeds up then slows down again one min you see the props on the Ipad screen then you don't, I have the stick full forward and still this happens, when bringing the bird down from 120 meters, she again slows down then speeds up then slows down again, and on it goes till she is ready to land, I can't turn off the automatic RTH button on the ipad, so have to push the throttle forward and backwards to get control back, now when I rolled back all these issues went away and she flew perfect again, so there is no Pilot error here, I reinstalled the firmware again and again she gave me the issues I have spoke about, on talking with another user, he informed me that if you turn off the Navigation settings then these issues go way, so I went out on Sunday and flew her again with the new firmware on and nothing turned off and aging it was very obvious to me she still had these issues, turned off the navigation settings and she flew like the bird she was before the UPDATE, now please don't try to tell me that this is all pilot error,or even that I have a faulty P4, one she is just over 2 month's old now and two I have been flying and updating software all of 23 years as I am a retired IT Engineer, so I think and hope that I do know what I am doing. would love to hear feed back from any one and please lets not get rude in here, we all want to get these issues resolved, at the time of writing this I have up loaded the two Videos that I did no Sunday to You Tube if you care to watch them, they are https://youtu.be/UDmvievg-XE Berkhampsted Castle

https://youtu.be/bqJ8zKsBIf0 Berkhampsted Forest.Regards TJK.

What specifically do you mean by "turn off the Navigation settings"? I'm curious to know about all of the specific details that "turn off the Navigation settings " entail, to fix your P4 issues.
2017-8-9
Use props
Mephistopheles
lvl.1
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-8-9 10:16
DJI is making no effort to resolve the issue. They have repeatedly stated that the problems are not firmware but your hardware is the issue. They want you to send it in for repair on your dime. They are charging about $250 to install firmware but they show you a laundry list of parts that they say are bad and then send you a different drone so in case you marked each part you wont have any way of knowing if the parts were actually replaced. They dont want you rolling back the firmware because then you would know its not a hardware issue. If you cant prove it then you cant dispute it.  They are making a killing off of this failware.

Stunning.  I think DJI has dug in on this to avoid liability, though I can't see that tactic working.  But they probably have an army of lawyers at their disposal telling them what to do.
2017-8-9
Use props
Mephistopheles
lvl.1
United States

Stach23 Posted at 2017-8-9 11:42
What specifically do you mean by "turn off the Navigation settings"? I'm curious to know about all of the specific details that "turn off the Navigation settings " entail, to fix your P4 issues.

Turning off any setting or feature that is supposed to work is not a "fix".  I wish people would quit saying that.
2017-8-9
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mephistopheles Posted at 2017-8-9 12:47
Turning off any setting or feature that is supposed to work is not a "fix".  I wish people would quit saying that.

Haha so true. I have a secret fix - put it in a box and put your plant pots on top of it. Works like a dream after that.
2017-8-9
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-9 13:10
Haha so true. I have a secret fix - put it in a box and put your plant pots on top of it. Works like a dream after that.

And it's 100% stable? No unexpected movements? ;)
2017-8-9
Use props
user7ad040d4d0
lvl.2

Philippines

Has anyone tried the beta firmware yet? Got an email from dji just now about the beta frimware.
2017-8-9
Use props
milnefish
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35049 ft

United Kingdom

I just received an email from support offering me new beta software.
Anyone else had this yet?

2017-8-9
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Maldives

Duchunter Posted at 2017-8-9 10:16

This is truly disgraceful! Have you sent your drone in? They've asked me to send mine in too... I won't be paying them a cent for repairs since my P4 was working like a dream prior to updating to the failware.
2017-8-9
Use props
usarfireman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79957 ft
United Kingdom

milnefish Posted at 2017-8-9 23:22
I just received an email from support offering me new beta software.
Anyone else had this yet?

Yep posted a new thread about it
2017-8-9
Use props
Zisojohn
lvl.1

Greece

usarfireman Posted at 2017-8-9 23:56
Yep posted a new thread about it

Dear Customer,

Nice day.
Here is the email from DJI tech support team.

Via your post on DJI Forum, we got that there exist the unstable flight issue on your DJI Phantom 4 after upgrading Firmware to v02.00.0106.
We worked on it and made a Beta firmware to fix that issue.

But for making sure the fimware works on your case, we need your help to send us the specified flight data as below steps within 24 hours.
Then our R&D team will push the beta firmware to you after receiving the data.

Please execute as following steps strickly, thanks a lot.

1. Please disable the "Forward Obstacle Sensing System” on the DJI GO.

2.Then select an open area for the flight and make sure the copter works under P-GPS mode during the whole flight.

3. Keep the copter hovering over 30s at 10m height after taking off.

4. Then operate the copter ascent to a safety height and we suggest there is no obstacle in the range of 200 m radius.
And then operate it flyling forward over 100m away. Next, operate it flying backward for over 100m. Please execute above forwarding and backwarding operations for twice.

5. After that, then pull roll stick to left and fly it to left direction for over 100m and next, fly it to right direction for over 100m.
Please execute the operation for twice as well.

6. Finally, land the copter safety, flight part completed.

7. After the flight, please connect the copter to the DJI assistant and then export the corresponding data to us.
Here is a video FYI to export the data.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon and if you have any questions here, please no hesitated to contact us.

Best regards,

DJI tech support

Best regards,
Aurora
DJI Technical Support

Office hours: Monday to Friday , 9:00AM to 18:00PM (HongKong Time GMT+8:00)
2017-8-10
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

No beta fw. Did you tried the beta yet?
2017-8-10
Use props
Zisojohn
lvl.1

Greece

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-8-10 01:06
No beta fw. Did you tried the beta yet?

you have to send them first the data
2017-8-10
Use props
Mugrunty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599449 ft
United States

That's funny, I never got that email.
2017-8-10
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fruxen Posted at 2017-8-9 21:28
And it's 100% stable? No unexpected movements? ;)

Rock solid mate. You could balance a glass of wine and top and it wouldn't fall off. Don't go blabbing about it though. It's an unapproved fix and DJI may void your warranty.
2017-8-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-10 02:33
Rock solid mate. You could balance a glass of wine and top and it wouldn't fall off. Don't go blabbing about it though. It's an unapproved fix and DJI may void your warranty.

Was that Azalea or Aspidistra ?
2017-8-10
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-10 03:36
Was that Azalea or Aspidistra ?

Any plant will do. I've heard some guys over on rcgroups experimenting with Tiffany lamps. But I'm not that adventurous. Stick with what you know.
2017-8-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-10 03:50
Any plant will do. I've heard some guys over on rcgroups experimenting with Tiffany lamps. But I'm not that adventurous. Stick with what you know.

I like that, keep it organic; was going to try the Lava Lamp but too high tech'.

I'll let this thread get back on topic now
2017-8-10
Use props
Slipstrm111
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5256 ft
Mexico

I am not going to load the failware again and risk crashing in an attempt to get the data they want. Been there and im not going back.
2017-8-10
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

i recently went through a similar scenario here is what i did to correct the issue. I calibrated my imu then my compass which i always calibrate compass to each new location as recommended, that didn't fix it but made a slight difference then noticed my app wanted me to re-calibrate the visual positioning sensors (vps) i did that and that completely fixed my issue! hope this can work for you too!
2017-8-10
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

I am confused. DJI introduced problematic firmware, will not let you downgrade it, and is now sending out beta firmware over a month later to attempt to fix it, asking the users to help test it and send them data? Don't they have departments for that? This is a confusing company...
2017-8-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oz Phantom Posted at 2017-8-10 06:50
Mate much needed levity , on topic you seem to have a bit of experience and are not nasty with people asking for your advice or opinion..
The haters, trollers and fanboys are saying everyone with issues caused the issues themselves in the upgrade process - "DJI number one , you go now , no substitutions" but there are people who know and have stated they followed the upgrade controller first steps to the letter - if the hardware and firmware is exactly the same how can this happen? - is there any truth in the story that not all specific models have the exact same components - here is an extract from an old P3 thread on phantom pilots -

Regarding the Phantoms I cannot say whether it is true or not, unless we take a number to bits we'll never know for sure. But I certainly know in the field that I worked in I spent many a happy hour at times, modifying cards and changing out TTL logic ICs. Part of which was  because one manufacture product had slightly better specification. Because of that it reduced the potential errors on the card.

Are all the MC boards the same, or is one a Mk1 and the other a Mk1a, who knows :-)

Give me 10 P4s of different ages to take apart and we may be able to prove it. But I would certainly bet £100 they're not all the same.

And there are many times I have to bite my tongue
2017-8-10
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

gyrex Posted at 2017-8-9 23:54
This is truly disgraceful! Have you sent your drone in? They've asked me to send mine in too... I won't be paying them a cent for repairs since my P4 was working like a dream prior to updating to the failware.

Nope, I tried to return it and they wont take it back. I had to dispute the transaction with my credit card company so now I have a p4 and my $800. Worked out pretty good I guess.
2017-8-10
Use props
milnefish
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35049 ft

United Kingdom

I got the beta FW email. They asked for flight data within 24 hours.. I’m away from home for 3 days.

I explained this in an email. I said I’d get the data for them when I get back.  

They replied saying they needed the data within the 24 hours and I won’t be getting the beta firmware now.

This company is a joke
2017-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules