Having serious issues with palm control
1619 7 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpocketNZ
New
New Zealand

Hi all Spark owners.

Since I got my Spark I've not been able to get it to recognise my palm to move it around. I have no problems launching, it recognises my face and takes off almost instantly. But as soon as I step back and raise my hand up, nothing. The front lights flash yellow for a few seconds, then back to red every time.

I've tried in many different lighting conditions (even though I can see myself perfectly on the app, and yes I'm in gesture mode), holding my palm in front of my face, away from my face, left hand, right hand, going as close as 20cm, and as far as 5m, but always red lights.

I can get the "away and follow" and even the "beckon" to work about 50% of the time, it doesn't seem to mind my waving hand, but palm piloting never seems to work. I could count on one hand the number of times those front LEDs turned green.

Does anyone have any tips, or is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any help is appreciated!
2017-7-8
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You have to hold your hand about 70cm in front of the spark. Open hand, fingers together.
Should work with no problems.
2017-7-8
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Netherlands

I have the same problem. Just watched some DJI tutorial which says that very bright light [sun? huh?] and some other things can cause problems. Some people just do not have these problems from what I've seen which led me to believe that maybe not all drones are made equal.
2017-7-9
Use props
Sparky Tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 442011 ft
United States

This sounds like the experience I have had with gesture controls. Have had them work a few times. But mostly fail.
2017-7-9
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

what i can add, make sure you have your sennsors clean and have the sun in your face. i have problems sometimes but overall i am happy.
2017-7-9
Use props
evilsoya
lvl.2
United States

I had the same issue. I sent my Spark back for repair. Thankfully the repair process was fairly fast and nowhere near what I've read about DJI Repair service on this forum (it is much faster than I expected it to be).

Here is my post:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-101911-1-1.html
2017-7-9
Use props
Ozone
lvl.2

United States

If you hold your hand at about 70 degrees instead of 90 degrees difference is like night and day
2017-7-9
Use props
SpocketNZ
New
New Zealand

Ozone Posted at 2017-7-9 14:03
If you hold your hand at about 70 degrees instead of 90 degrees difference is like night and day

This is what I was hoping for! Since posting I've gone over a few Youtube videos and have kind of noticed that most people are pretty lazy with their hands. I've been holding my palm very straight up flat facing the camera, maybe I just need to chill it out a little.

Gives me hope how you say the difference is so noticeable! Will give this a try ASAP, thanks Ozone.
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules