Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Water Damaged Phantom 3 Pro Questions
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZFK_Visuals
lvl.1
Canada

Hey Guys,

I crashed my drone into a tree filming someone flyboarding and thus it fell into the water at that point. It spent about 5 minutes in the water before I was able to find it. I got it blow dried as soon as possible and then left it in a box of rice for about 6 days. Yesterday I went to boot it up without the props and to my suprise the drone doesnt even turn on with the fresh battery, no lights, no gimbal, no signature sound... I really thought I saved it but unfortunately it's %100 toast just from water damage, zero mechanical damage. I don't have any insurance or warranty on it so I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with this in regards to sending it to DJI for repairs. I've heard some horror stories about DJI's customer support - and I'm also not trying to get a repair bill for something ridiculous like $800.

Any previous experience/input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

2017-7-9
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I have heard that significant water damage is not repaired(?).
2017-7-9
Use props
ZFK_Visuals
lvl.1
Canada

dancopter Posted at 2017-7-9 08:36
I have heard that significant water damage is not repaired(?).

It was fresh water if that makes a difference. But you think DJI really wouldn't fix a short circuit inside a water damaged drone whatsoever?
2017-7-9
Use props
Scott3708
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4357 ft
United States

First was this salt or fresh water? 5 minutes in water prolly blew the ESC board, but if salt water, that salt is eating all exposed solder joints a good spray down with contact cleaner will neutralize. If only fresh water, not as bad but still, everything needs dissasemble including gimbal motors as bearings will rust. All parts available on eBay and youtube videos on how to swap. Several place on web do repair, not that hard actually. Dont forget battery circuit board too. Use distilled water to rinse everything, then redry. Dont use WD40 to lube anything. Or look for a crashed drone on ebay and rebuild with your cases. There are ways to get around huge costs.     
2017-7-9
Use props
ZFK_Visuals
lvl.1
Canada

Scott3708 Posted at 2017-7-9 09:19
First was this salt or fresh water? 5 minutes in water prolly blew the ESC board, but if salt water, that salt is eating all exposed solder joints a good spray down with contact cleaner will neutralize. If only fresh water, not as bad but still, everything needs dissasemble including gimbal motors as bearings will rust. All parts available on eBay and youtube videos on how to swap. Several place on web do repair, not that hard actually. Dont forget battery circuit board too. Use distilled water to rinse everything, then redry. Dont use WD40 to lube anything. Or look for a crashed drone on ebay and rebuild with your cases. There are ways to get around huge costs.

I've done a lot of reading on the subject, most commonly seems to be blown ESC boards... It landed in fresh water and sustained no mechanical damage from what I can see. How would one be able to diagnose what to replace within the drone if it won't turn on at all? I'm not too handy with small stuff like this anyways chances are I'll have to send it for repairs, not keen on disassembling a gimbal motor. Do you know of anyone that has sent these away for this sort of thing and what their bill looked like?
2017-7-9
Use props
Scott3708
lvl.1
United States

Yes fresh makes huge difference and the time in the rice too! The 5 min in water before you could shut it ost likely killed ESC board. DJI prolly no on warranty, but would repair, as water damage is pretty obviuos once the cases are opened, but an ESC board is around $125. I had my first crash from a low batt return to home. Case swap, about same as ESC replacement, just need to unsolder/solder motors. It's fixable.
2017-7-9
Use props
Scott3708
lvl.1
United States

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phan ... :g:zSQAAOSwJH1ZLw9~

or swap out whole thing, minus camera, GPS unit. There are options just search around for best deal. Watch some water repair vides and case swap videos, or call Drone Nerds ((786) 708-7807)
they have a good reputation. They are DJI authorized repair center and will give good advice.
2017-7-9
Use props
ZFK_Visuals
lvl.1
Canada

Scott3708 Posted at 2017-7-9 09:35
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-3-Pro-ESC-Center-Board-MC-V2-Power-Port-Module-2312A-Motor-/302334650071?epid=1471632093&hash=item46648ca6d7:g:zSQAAOSwJH1ZLw9~

or swap out whole thing, minus camera, GPS unit. There are options just search around for best deal. Watch some water repair vides and case swap videos, or call Drone Nerds ((786) 708-7807)

Thank you!
2017-7-9
Use props
Icj777
New

Australia

Hi.
Dose anyone know what actually fails  on the ESC Board?
It's actually covered in a waterproof sealer.
My first thoughts would be the connectors.
Incidentally, someone said not to spray WD40.
Why is that?
TIA.
2017-8-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Feel sorry for ya, but, it's a goner. Any water and electronics together = disaster
2017-8-14
Use props
Scott3708
lvl.1
United States

Icj777 Posted at 2017-8-14 16:25
Hi.

WD-40 is Ionic which means it will conduct electricity (small amounts) enough to degrade electronics.
Never use this stuff around electronics.  
2017-11-19
Use props
Scott3708
lvl.1
United States

Icj777 Posted at 2017-8-14 16:25
Hi.

WD-40 is Ionic which means it will conduct electricity (small amounts) enough to degrade electronics.
Never use this stuff around electronics. Water intrusion will cause over current and shorts. The IC's(integraded circuits) are most suseptible. If you can get it out of the water fast enough and pull battery
fast enough, there has been units that fly again after complete dryout. But normally the minerals in
water will eventually corrode components, saltwater is the worst case as salt likes to eat lead sold.
2017-11-19
Use props
djiuser_SmujYuR6u4mB
New

Canada

Well I just landed my drone in Georgian Bay after low voltage return to home alarm while I was about 1400 feet out and 250 feet up. I managed to get the drone back to me but was unable to catch it while standing on a boat and watched it tumble after I bumped the propellers on the catch into 14 feet of fresh water. I put my mask and flippers on and got it out of the water in about 15 minutes
Battery light was still showing 1 green LED.   I removed the battery and left everything to dry in a hot sun for 7 days. The camera was water logged. After 7 days the camera is dry.

I powered up the drone without propellers and everything seems fine. Today I did a test flight and all working however the battery that it crashed with is not working and I will discard it.

There is hope sometimes!
2020-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules