Redundant GPS for lost Fly-Aways
1447 7 2015-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

After reading some horror stories about "fly-aways" has anyone use a redundant GPS system to locate the lost craft just in case the battery died.
2015-3-19
Use props
dmascheck
lvl.1

United States

I know some in the RC club install a buzzer so they can find their quads in the tall weeds if it goes AWOL. There are a couple of GPS tracking units you can Google. Planning on putting one on mine!

2015-3-20
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

Thanks and yes I've only seen one specifically for drone but the price point is on the high end.
2015-3-20
Use props
Inspire1flyer
lvl.2

United States

I put a gps tracker on mine. It was only about 30 bucks off eBay and it uses GPS data and sends that info to your smart phone in the form of a text msg when you request location to be sent to you. It requires a go phone plan or pay as you go type of plan. Currently I'm paying $10 a month with 10cents a min. Cheap insurance.  
2015-3-20
Use props
CoastalBird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 692041 ft
United States

This is the one I got - Trackimo.  It's really small and lightweight, and attaches with velcro on the back of the flight data module on the Inspire 1.  It works pretty well, although you want to power it up and let it lock before you fly.  
http://www.amazon.com/Trackimo-t ... p;keywords=trackimo
2015-3-20
Use props
boogieman77.gma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

Marco Polo.  No cell coverage needed and works perfectly!!

2015-3-21
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I use a Garmin GTU 10...Its perfect...Right size and doesn't seem to interfere with the Inspire 1...I Velcro ed  it to the back plate behind the battery and fits as it if were made for it...You register it with Garmin and it will track it anywhere in the world using both cell sites as well as GPS...To find it you go to the site and click locate...It gives you a Garmin map and GPS co-ordinates as well as location like Twp Rd 250 & Rge Rd 274...The only drawback is that is now a discontinued product but it is still supported by Garmin...I picked mine up for  $100.00 normally $189.00 but negotiated it down...Even if they support for a year or two more I still consider it cheap insurance...

http://www8.garmin.com/followme/
2015-3-21
Use props
pedro66
lvl.1

United States

The GTU 10 looks good but its end of life tech as you say, if I could get one for $100 it would be OK for a year

The connected services provider for your GTU 10 has determined to cease operations of its 2G network by approximately Jan. 1, 2016. Unfortunately, the third-party services necessary to support the network connectivity operations of your GTU 10 unit will be impacted. At this time, there is no viable alternative of such services; therefore, after such date your GTU10 unit will no longer be operational. We apologize for the inconvenience.

2015-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules