Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fall from grace!
12Next >
3330 60 2017-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

So I just got done updating my p4 this morning and went for a test flight. Five minutes into it it fell out of the sky into the swamp never to be seen  (OK MAYBE YOU CAN EDIT A POST AFTER 2 MINUTES)

2017-7-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Could you upload your data log to the site below and post the url here for us to take a look?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

(side credit:  msinger)

Sorry for your loss.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-7-9 11:09
Could you upload your data log to the site below and post the url here for us to take a look?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Im uploading the video now to youtube. Ill see if I can figure out how to get the data off my phone. It wasnt acting right at all. It was just acting weird. I ran a way point mission just before this during the same flight and I couldnt pan the camera. I have insurance but thats beside the point.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

The video feed was all over the place. First I got gimbal roll reached. The camera started flipping out, then I got motor idling, prop loose or whatever but I just dont believe that. The camera flipped out before it fell. I could see it fall and the props were on it. 8 minutes into my second flight and a prop fails. I dont think so!
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

The video feed was all over the place. First I got gimbal roll reached. The camera started flipping out, then I got motor idling, prop loose or whatever but I just dont believe that. The camera flipped out before it fell. I could see it fall and the props were on it. 8 minutes into my second flight and a prop fails. I dont think so!
2017-7-9
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

You have drone insurance!  

Please elaborate.

I can not find such in NY State.
------------------------------------------
BTW: Sorry for your loss
------------------------------------------

2017-7-9
Use props
fester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77408 ft
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2017-7-9 11:52
You have drone insurance!  

Please elaborate.

Contact State Farm. I don't know about coverage in NY, but in other states they offer replacement coverage (a personal items type of coverage) for loss of the drone (hardware ONLY, no liability) for $60.00 year.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

I uploaded the last minute of flight.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

fester Posted at 2017-7-9 12:00
Contact State Farm. I don't know about coverage in NY, but in other states they offer replacement coverage (a personal items type of coverage) for loss of the drone (hardware ONLY, no liability) for $60.00 year.

I guess well find out tomorrow just how good State Farms insurance is.
2017-7-9
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-9 11:20

Sorry for your loss but could you upload your logs as advised for us to figure out what went on over this flight?
2017-7-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

+1
Looks like you lost a prop, but it would really help to see the logs.  

You sure you don't want to go out there and try to find it?  Looks like woods to me.  Next time, you might consider a 3G tracker.  
2017-7-9
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like a prop disengaged or a motor suddenly stopped or was hit by a bird.  If you can post  the logs might shed some light.
2017-7-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-9 11:11
Im uploading the video now to youtube. Ill see if I can figure out how to get the data off my phone. It wasnt acting right at all. It was just acting weird. I ran a way point mission just before this during the same flight and I couldnt pan the camera. I have insurance but thats beside the point.

"Ill see if  I can figure out how to get the data off my phone. "

It's easy ... you go to the site mentioned in post #2 and follow the instructions there.
2017-7-9
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

Quite interesting how quickly you created the thread, uploaded the video, yet no log analysis....

I would be all over it if I was 100% convinced DJI was to blame....
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

I have an iPhone. It's not so easy to get the log with an iPhone. I have to download iTunes to get the log. You see where I'm at. There is no broadband internet. I try to download iTunes with my phone but it takes 4 hours and it fails everytime. I have to go somewhere to download it. That's why I only uploaded a minute of the video. That took an hour for a 1 minute video. I'll post the log when I can.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

I've been out in the woods twice. There is just no way to get to it. It's complete swamp where it landed.
IMG_0043.PNG
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

According to what the log says it would appear that it lost a prop. The props had just a couple of hours of flight. I crashed into myself last week but I caught it and it never hit the ground. I inspected the props very closely. They were fine. I've flown a couple of times since then. This was my second flight today. I ran one battery down and I was on my second battery 8 minutes into the second flight it dropped out of the sky. I could see and hear it in the sky. When I saw the camera drop I looked up at it and it appeared to have all the props intact and spinning. I can't be certain, it happened so fast but I watched it fall a long way and I immediately thought "did it loose a prop" so that's what I was looking for. I really don't think it did. I think it just glitched out in flight after the update. I may be wrong. The only way to prove one way or another is to recover it and I just don't see any way to do that until we have drought.  
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Before this flight I got an imu warning. I calibrated the imu after the update and flew a battery out. Before the second flight I got an imu warning so I calibrated them again. The camera was way off level so I had to calibrate the gimbal again before this flight. I ran a saved way point mission. The p4 was flying sideways the whole mission and I could not turn it to face the direction of flight which I thought was weird. I flew it out to make sure that the flight limitations were unlocked. On the way back it dropped like a stone. All this within an hour of the update. It flew very aggressively and in a hover it was correcting itself and would tilt way more than normal to correct itself. It looked like a novice was controlling it when nobody was controlling it.  Something certainly wasnt right.
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-9 16:19
Before this flight I got an imu warning. I calibrated the imu after the update and flew a battery out. Before the second flight I got an imu warning so I calibrated them again. The camera was way off level so I had to calibrate the gimbal again before this flight. I ran a saved way point mission. The p4 was flying sideways the whole mission and I could not turn it to face the direction of flight which I thought was weird. I flew it out to make sure that the flight limitations were unlocked. On the way back it dropped like a stone. All this within an hour of the update. It flew very aggressively and in a hover it was correcting itself and would tilt way more than normal to correct itself. It looked like a novice was controlling it when nobody was controlling it.  Something certainly wasnt right.

This wasn't the props as fitted Here ?
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Well, it looks like maybe I did loose a prop. If you go to 51 seconds in the video and watch it frame by frame and you will see what looks like a prop in the video. If I'm wrong I'll say I'm wrong and I think I'm wrong. I apologize dji. Just ironic it happened when it did.
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Screenshots

prop

prop
Screenshot - 07092017 - 07:53:10 PM.png
Screenshot - 07092017 - 07:52:01 PM.png
Screenshot - 07092017 - 07:48:31 PM.png
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-9 16:28
This wasn't the props as fitted Here ?

No i never did put the second set of springs on. I wish like hell I had.
2017-7-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Don't mean to sound harsh, but maybe you could spend less time making all these posts and spend a little more time providing us with a link to your log via phantomhelp.com
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Well, I guess im in the market for another p4, or maybe a second hand p4p. I really dont care, either way. Im actually gonna come out ahead. Ive got like $600 and some change in my p4. The policy pays out $1800. Dont get me wrong, id rather have my p4 then file a claim. God only knows how long its gonna take to get a check. At least I do have video of the accident. I dont have the carcass but I do have video to prove im not trying to scam them. My policy covers it even if I loose it. It sucks cause it had my brand new battery in it. Only like 6 cycles on it. I will be looking for it when the water level goes down a bit. I can get within about 100-200 yards from it. The water is just inches deep but the ground is like quick sand right now.  Who knows, the trees may have cushioned its fall. Im sure its destroyed. It fell from about 250 feet. Id sure like to have that battery back though.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

I do have a perfectly good p4 controller to sell now and a older p4 battery if I was to get a Mavic or a 3dr Solo. I may be able to get a p4 without the controller and save a few bucks. Ill have to see whats out there.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-7-9 17:01
Don't mean to sound harsh, but maybe you could spend less time making all these posts and spend a little more time providing us with a link to your log via phantomhelp.com

Whats the point, we know what happened? Maybe if you would spend a little less time being an ass and more time reading the posts you would know that already.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

I may have already found my replacement. The guy I bought my p4 from has another one with 4 batteries and a multi charger. He says its only has a few flights on it. Hes asking $800. I figure Ill sell 2 of the batteries and the multi charger. I dont need 5 batteries and this would give me 2 oem chargers. If I sell the 2 batteries, the multi charger, and my controller im in it for $500-$600 easy.

new p4.jpg
2017-7-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Duchunter, I sympathize with your situation and feel sorry for your loss. Does your drone still under warranty? If so, please contact our support to raise a ticket, our data analysis team will help to analyze the precise reason about the crash. You may check the tutorial video for reference to sync the flight record:
2017-7-9
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

I'm no expert, but from dealing with insurance companies in the past, I'm guessing that you are going to have to provide State Farm with the logs, not just a You-Tube video.
2017-7-9
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

BouldersDad Posted at 2017-7-9 19:51
I'm no expert, but from dealing with insurance companies in the past, I'm guessing that you are going to have to provide State Farm with the logs, not just a You-Tube video.

Thats fine,i dont have a problem with that. If they have a way to get them off my phone there welcome to em. Either way its covered. Doesnt matter what happened to it.
2017-7-10
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-9 18:42
Duchunter, I sympathize with your situation and feel sorry for your loss. Does your drone still under warranty? If so, please contact our support to raise a ticket, our data analysis team will help to analyze the precise reason about the crash. You may check the tutorial video for reference to sync the flight record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brKQZ-gTBXg

Thanks Mindy, It was definitely a prop that came off. Not dji props, not dji's problem. It was acting weird after the update. Ill probably upload the whole video today while im out filing an insurance claim.
2017-7-10
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Wow, that was absolutely the easiest insurance claim I have ever experienced. My State Farm underwriter just called me at 7:30am.  The check is in the mail. They asked for nothing. They didnt even ask what happened. I told them but they didnt ask. I offered up the flight log and the video, they didnt care. The check is in the mail coming from atlanta. I was wrong about the amount, its $1500, not $1800. They did say that they have had a lot of crazy drone accidents so get insurance while you still can. They did say that they would cover the new one. They dont even want the carcass if I can get it. State Farm is where its at.
2017-7-10
Use props
zilla
lvl.2

United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-9 17:18
Well, I guess im in the market for another p4, or maybe a second hand p4p. I really dont care, either way. Im actually gonna come out ahead. Ive got like $600 and some change in my p4. The policy pays out $1800. Dont get me wrong, id rather have my p4 then file a claim. God only knows how long its gonna take to get a check. At least I do have video of the accident. I dont have the carcass but I do have video to prove im not trying to scam them. My policy covers it even if I loose it. It sucks cause it had my brand new battery in it. Only like 6 cycles on it. I will be looking for it when the water level goes down a bit. I can get within about 100-200 yards from it. The water is just inches deep but the ground is like quick sand right now.  Who knows, the trees may have cushioned its fall. Im sure its destroyed. It fell from about 250 feet. Id sure like to have that battery back though.

The battery is toast. Even if it would charge, it wouldn't be worth it to use a battery that had been in a serious crash. Sorry.
2017-7-10
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

zilla Posted at 2017-7-10 05:09
The battery is toast. Even if it would charge, it wouldn't be worth it to use a battery that had been in a serious crash. Sorry.

Im not likely to find it anyway.
2017-7-10
Use props
zilla
lvl.2

United States

True, you may never find it in a swamp. Sorry, that stinks.
2017-7-10
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

zilla Posted at 2017-7-10 05:09

If it came down through trees to brake the fall then it maybe just has broken props, and quite likely a broken gimbal.  Battery is only certain to be toast if it reached the water, or it rains before it is recovered.
2017-7-10
Use props
GrangerFX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

Mechanical issue for certain. The sudden rate of spin would have been difficult to achieve with a software failure. It looks like a prop flew off to me.
2017-7-10
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

zilla Posted at 2017-7-10 14:23
True, you may never find it in a swamp. Sorry, that stinks.

Yeah im afraid so. All the trees that look kind of greyish are in the swamp. We've had a lot of rain recently so hopefully the water level will go down enough to get to it. The water is literally inches deep and its more like mud with puddles of water everywhere. Its not solid land or solid water. Its a mix of the two. I guess I could cut trees down and walk across them but its not my property and this time of year is not the best time to be trekking through the swamp.  Hopefully ill have a replacement tomorrow. Heck it might be in a tree and I can at least see it when I get my new p4. If I do find it its technically not mine anymore, its State Farms and if its not destroyed I would just give it to them. State Farm has been good to me so I owe it to them to reciprocate. Its a karma thing.
2017-7-11
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

So is it safe to say the firmware update had nothing to do with your loss?  If so maybe edit your original post to clearify.  
2017-7-11
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Vincent D Posted at 2017-7-11 19:57
So is it safe to say the firmware update had nothing to do with your loss?  If so maybe edit your original post to clearify.

OK, i edited it. Its always said you cant edit after 2 minutes so I guess thats new.
2017-7-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules