Spark Yaw error and loss of control
7186 25 2017-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3f7f0390
New
United Kingdom

Whilst flying my Spark it suddenly stopped responing to control and started flying off at speed, all attempts to pause/stop or return to home failed as the Spark would not respond. After flying over 3000ft away and crossing roads and railways lines it decided to return to home. At this point it started responing to the controller again and I was able to stop it then manually fly it to me to land.

Reviewing the flight logs it shows multiple "Yaw Error" and some "Magnetic Filed Interference. Exit P-GPS Mode" this has made me reluctant to fly the drone again. The fact it flew so far and would not respond to controls and stop commands was very dangerous and I could have easily lost the Spark.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
2017-7-10
Use props
jimspark
New
United Kingdom

The flight log can be viewed here [url]http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BI6T7CEF6UZJ61Y6RRNY/ [/url]
2017-7-10
Use props
fans4992ee01
New

Netherlands

Yes: See my post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-103414-1-1.html
2017-7-10
Use props
jimspark
New
United Kingdom

fans4992ee01 Posted at 2017-7-10 03:10
Yes: See my post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-103414-1-1.html

Did you ever get any resolution of the issue?

I have really lost confidence in the drone now after this experience.
2017-7-10
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Definitely unusual to get a compass error in those conditions - 3 min into flight, 100+ feet altitude, hovering.  Looks like you were over a tennis court, but at that altitude .....?

Magnetic Filed Interference - that's what the log says.  Obviously not proofed.

The only possible explanation is that you launched near a magnetic obstruction or had a bad compass calibration, but if that were the case you should have received a warning. before flying.
2017-7-10
Use props
jimspark
New
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-10 05:54
Definitely unusual to get a compass error in those conditions - 3 min into flight, 100+ feet altitude, hovering.  Looks like you were over a tennis court, but at that altitude .....?

Magnetic Filed Interference - that's what the log says.  Obviously not proofed.

Yes it was at a reasonable distance away from things and hovering then just took off in a direction. What concerns me the most is if it had a momentary issue with interference why would it travel 3000+ft away. Also the fact that it ignored all my attempts to stop it and just carried on don't reassure me of the safety features and failsafes.

I actually bought the drone to do some filming on a once in a lifetime trip in a few weeks and now I really don't have the confidence to take it.

2017-7-10
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

It's not uncommon to see those errors (compass, yaw, motor speed) when there is a discrepancy between compass direction and the calculated GPS direction.  In the Mavic, at least, erratic behavior results and stick control is meaningless, because the flight control system doesn't know who to trust.  Most Mavic problems of that sort seem to be caused by improper compass calibration or launching near metal objects.  Usually the Mavic will complain about compass calibration or magnetic interference before launch.  I haven't studied the Spark enough to know if it's control  systems are similar.

The best recommendation I have is to retrieve the .DAT file from that flight (using DJI Assistant) and post it to DropBox. We can then take a look at more data than the log file presents.
2017-7-10
Use props
jimspark
New
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-10 10:01
It's not uncommon to see those errors (compass, yaw, motor speed) when there is a discrepancy between compass direction and the calculated GPS direction.  In the Mavic, at least, erratic behavior results and stick control is meaningless, because the flight control system doesn't know who to trust.  Most Mavic problems of that sort seem to be caused by improper compass calibration or launching near metal objects.  Usually the Mavic will complain about compass calibration or magnetic interference before launch.  I haven't studied the Spark enough to know if it's control  systems are similar.

The best recommendation I have is to retrieve the .DAT file from that flight (using DJI Assistant) and post it to DropBox. We can then take a look at more data than the log file presents.

Looking at the size of the DAT file I am assuming it contains video, if this is the case I can't upload the footage for various safeguarding reasons.

I have tried to open the file in Csvview and DatCon both say "Unable to determine AC type" is there another application I can use to view or a way to remove the video from the file?
2017-7-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

I saw your post in another thread, you have provided all the info needed for analysis, right? What's your case number?
If you have not send it in, would you please export the data firstly?
Here are the instructions:
1. Download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website page, install it.
2. Connect the drone to your PC, run Assistant 2, then click "black box", you can get the file.
3. Then click "Upload Data--Confirm", choose the log which showing the accident, and export it.
Please upload both files to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.
2017-7-11
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

jimspark Posted at 2017-7-10 11:43
Looking at the size of the DAT file I am assuming it contains video, if this is the case I can't upload the footage for various safeguarding reasons.

I have tried to open the file in Csvview and DatCon both say "Unable to determine AC type" is there another application I can use to view or a way to remove the video from the file?

I don't think it's video.  The DAT files are usually quite large. That's why they need to be placed in a Dropbox.  Too big to post or even email.
2017-7-11
Use props
Aksa63
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14505 ft
Finland

Hi from Finland. I had last saturday exactly same issue with my Spark (I controlled it with Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge without RC) I had  everything ok when I took off the drone.  Suddenly I got "Magnetic Filed Interference error" at 1 min 22 sec and I lost my control to the drone. The drone stared to fly away from home point and didn't respond any commands and didn't return to home as it should have to do. Spark flew away until low battery forced it to land and then the drone started respond my phone again. Luckily I found the drone but I don't trust it anymore and I'm afraid to fly it. Tell me did I something wrong or what happend during the fly.

Here is the flight log.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/UHKNRAT9PTEDP0D0BP1R/

I tried to upload data logfile from the drone but I got error while uploading and I don't find data file anymore.  I have only one DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-07-11_10-44-30.bak file in my pc.  Can I find data file somehow again from the drone?
2017-7-11
Use props
Aksa63
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14505 ft
Finland

Aksa63 Posted at 2017-7-11 23:57
Hi from Finland. I had last saturday exactly same issue with my Spark (I controlled it with Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge without RC) I had  everything ok when I took off the drone.  Suddenly I got "Magnetic Filed Interference error" at 1 min 22 sec and I lost my control to the drone. The drone stared to fly away from home point and didn't respond any commands and didn't return to home as it should have to do. Spark flew away until low battery forced it to land and then the drone started respond my phone again. Luckily I found the drone but I don't trust it anymore and I'm afraid to fly it. Tell me did I something wrong or what happend during the flight.

Here is the flight log.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/UHKNRAT9PTEDP0D0BP1R/

Here is the link to black box data https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rs6ss ... yvrcIM6UKOC5ca?dl=0
2017-7-12
Use props
Cassettespark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8983 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same issue only mine ended up flying over a road, down a street and into a building. The spark is totalled. It's been sent in to DJI so fingers crossed they can shed some light on the cause.
2017-7-28
Use props
Hathdert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

If you calibrate your drone on a interference place, the wrong results to the the compass due to interference will be treated like positive results on flight. If you take off with that wrong results and midair are no interference, the right results of midair free of interference place will be treated like wrong, and cause a compass error (missmatch), leading to problems like out of controll drone, your flight controll will not know what to do when wrong parameters are supose to be right parameters.

Everyones need to be VERY VERY carefull about where calibrate drone. Old drone users always be very very carefull, Since phantom 1 ages and old flyaway problems

2017-7-29
Use props
Hathdert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

If you calibrate your drone on a interference place, the wrong results to the the compass due to interference will be treated like positive results on flight. If you take off with that wrong results and midair are no interference, the right results of midair free of interference place will be treated like wrong, and cause a compass error (missmatch) when the discrepancy between reads are high, leading to problems like out of controll drone, your flight controll will not know what to do when wrong parameters are supose to be right parameters.

Everyones need to be VERY VERY carefull about where calibrate the drone. Old drone users always be very very carefull, Since phantom 1 ages and old flyaway problems

2017-7-29
Use props
MiniMoke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7372 ft
Australia

Hathdert Posted at 2017-7-29 01:50
If you calibrate your drone on a interference place, the wrong results to the the compass due to interference will be treated like positive results on flight. If you take off with that wrong results and midair are no interference, the right results of midair free of interference place will be treated like wrong, and cause a compass error (missmatch) when the discrepancy between reads are high, leading to problems like out of controll drone, your flight controll will not know what to do when wrong parameters are supose to be right parameters.

Everyones need to be VERY VERY carefull about where calibrate the drone. Old drone users always be very very carefull, Since phantom 1 ages and old flyaway problems

Thanks Hathdert,

I experienced a "Yaw Error" during a flight yesterday and my Spark flew away.

Your post has reminded me that I had to move launch location due to a "compass error".  There wasn't a compass calibration warning, but maybe there should have been.

I think that if Spark is forced into Alti mode by a compass error that the [RTH] button should be disabled and a warning issued suggesting to fly the Spark manually to land.
2017-9-10
Use props
YOSOY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 289 ft
Mexico

Hi, did you know what happened? did you solve the problem I did something similar to myself 4 days ago
2017-9-11
Use props
djiuser_bvGQnlX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39459 ft
New Zealand

i had the exact same issue and lost my drone on my 3rd flight i am gutted
2017-12-21
Use props
fans73bf60e5
New
Australia

I have had the same issue with my Spark. Drone on its way home, random error, no control and then took off at speed over dense bushland then landed as it ran out of battery. Find my drone didnt work and no laptop with me while away to look at logs. Which I have just downloaded. This is a very dangerous malfunction not to mention sad, it was probably only my 6th flight :-(  Seems to be a recurring issue with the Sparks from a few other posts on the forum
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7C6B36EX2OZ12VYONLNF/#
2018-1-19
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3146 ft
United States

fans73bf60e5,

First off, very sorry for your loss. Hope you found the bird.

Looks like a nice (beuatful) place to fly. It's hard to tell but I see very little in interference possibilities that everyone speculates has been the reasons for fly-a-ways, i.e. high power lines. large metal objects, re bar in concrete, interference from too many wifi modems, etc, etc. Clearly range should not have been an issue the bird was less than 100' from the takeoff point. However you did take off with only 22% of your battery remaining. That is a definite must on your don't list. Always take off with a full battery. That may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it limited the distance the spark could travel uncontrolled.

Based on what I see there is no reason for the spark to have lost it's mind and gone off on it's own. This should not be happening, there is clearly something wrong and it is not all pilot error in all cases. There are too many fly-a-ways. In your case it should not have happened, PERIOD! I am begging to believe it is hardware design or software issue with the spark. I hope DJI finds a solution soon. If not I see a huge class action lawsuit coming.

Please provide the following information if possible.

Version of firmware spark =
Version of DJI Go 4 app =
Android or iOS =
OTG cable yes, no =
last time compass calibrated=
Was the battery fully charged in the transmitter?

I wish the flight log included all the above information.

I have attached a Marco Polo tracer to my Spark to help me locate it should it fly-a-way.

Best of luck,

2018-1-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

fans73bf60e5 Posted at 2018-1-19 23:57
I have had the same issue with my Spark. Drone on its way home, random error, no control and then took off at speed over dense bushland then landed as it ran out of battery. Find my drone didnt work and no laptop with me while away to look at logs. Which I have just downloaded. This is a very dangerous malfunction not to mention sad, it was probably only my 6th flight :-(  Seems to be a recurring issue with the Sparks from a few other posts on the forum

I am also very sorry for your loss and cannot explain what might have caused the many errors. Was it very windy? 2m 14.5s it was already almost back but then apparently has been carried away by the wind.
More experienced pilots here will be able to tell the precise coordinates where it has landed. It might be up in a tree, but chances are high that you can retrieve it.
2018-1-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Spain

fans73bf60e5 Posted at 2018-1-19 23:57
I have had the same issue with my Spark. Drone on its way home, random error, no control and then took off at speed over dense bushland then landed as it ran out of battery. Find my drone didnt work and no laptop with me while away to look at logs. Which I have just downloaded. This is a very dangerous malfunction not to mention sad, it was probably only my 6th flight :-(  Seems to be a recurring issue with the Sparks from a few other posts on the forum

Flight log

22% battery
Warning RTH for low battery (No action)
Compass warning altitude 1.3 metre (No action taken)
Shortly after RTH initiated, Aircraft ascended to RTH altitude
Yaw warning followed by compass warning aircraft goes to Atti mode and starts to drift (No action taken)
Aircraft went into critical battery and started to descend was still drifting but should be close to last coordinates.

I think compass and magnetic problems may have been picked up from where aircraft was launched or from where aircraft was hovering at low altitude.
At first compass warning aircraft was at 1.3 metre action should have been taken here to land aircraft.
First RTH also could have been canceled by landing aircraft.
Reason for RTH to kick in so quickly was result of taking off with minimum battery at 22%.
When Aircraft went into Atti mode pilot made no attempt to try to recover aircraft, although it can be difficult it is possible to control aircraft in Atti mode , in this scenario landing immediately would have been the correct procedure ie left stick full down.
2018-1-20
Use props
djiuser_ImVTZV7hHbWG
New
Flight distance : 8632 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same as the first post......HELP
2019-5-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_ImVTZV7hHbWG Posted at 5-14 00:58
I have the same as the first post......HELP

HELP doesn`t HELP, start new post and upload your flightlog....

cheers
JJB
2019-5-14
Use props
Dan J Marki
lvl.1

United States

Hey I’m having this exact issue and am in dying need of some answers for why this is happening. I flew in all my spots before no issues ever and now I can’t fly at all as soon as I do a 360 degree yaw turn I get this error and the spark act irresponsibly
2019-6-19
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2275102 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like I’m not the only one with this issue. It all started since I received a replacement unit from Care Refresh. Initial IMU calibration took ages and that was the first thing that raised my suspicion. During first flight I have noticed a 360 degree drift. I have tried to calibrate IMU, compass, controller and firmware refresh. Nothing worked. Recently I have almost lost it due to all the errors appeared (IMU, YAW, COMPASS). After that I was afraid to fly it again. It’s already on the way to DJI in Holland, same guys who supplied me with this faulty drone. Not sure what to expect now.
2019-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules