Headlights on P2v+v3
2325 18 2015-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

I see headlights and LED lights on some drones online all around it.  How?  Is this supported and where do they get the power from on a P2v+v3 and does that void your warranty?  Where do you even go to buy all these add-ons.  Not looking for a machine gun on it but headlights would be good
2015-3-19
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

I would bet you could find some lights with a pretty thin/low profile battery you could stick on your prop guards or whatever...Google it and let us know what you come up with!
2015-3-19
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-3-19
Use props
godfrey.dayo
lvl.2

United States

Check out the posts from JATO who is a regular in this forum.
2015-3-19
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Go here..really bright!!!    http://www.quadcopterlightkit.com/#!dji-2-head-light/cmlc
2015-3-19
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

2 Xree 9 volt batteries and a one yera warranty! Tell me it isn't so! Mines on order!!!!
2015-3-19
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I don't use an external battery. I power my light via the Phantom battery. I installed an on/off switch so I can use them or not. I soldered the power cable to one of the ESC power lines. The cable going to the lights have a micro connector so I can easily disconnect on remove them. I you don't want to solder but still want to use the Phantom battery you can use this Battery Power Cable. You can see more info about the lights on my webpage.
2015-3-19
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the suggestions.  I see few online but being new at this (less than one week of owning P2v+v3) I was hoping something that doesn't use Phantoms power since I don't know what some of these cables do and what effect it will have with taking power from them and haven't had a chance to pop the phantom open which might even void my precious warranty and extended warranty    I don't see any power connections on the outside of the plus version either.  
2015-3-20
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-3-20 11:46
Go here..really bright!!!    http://www.quadcopterlightkit.com/#!dji-2-head-light/cmlc

Interesting.  I wonder how the Phantom holds that weight along with other gizmos on it like trackimo.  Thanks
2015-3-20
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

godfrey.dayo@po Posted at 2015-3-20 11:31
Check out the posts from JATO who is a regular in this forum.

Thanks.  I'll do that
2015-3-20
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Axeman Posted at 2015-3-20 11:27
Amazon and eBay have both and they clip into your existing flight battery.
Looks like a crash waitin ...

You are right about the crash.  My curiosity got me when I see all these youtube videos but I guess not everything on youtube is good for your phantom

Thanks
2015-3-20
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

1. Go here..really bright!!!    http://www.quadcopterlightkit.com/#!dji-2-head-light/cmlc
Copy the code
DBeck do you have this setup?? Im curious as to see why the website isnt showing with camera attached. I think it would help for night camera use.
2015-3-20
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

I modified the standard 'landing' kit and put the lights up higher. I don't fly at night so I don't know how far the beam would help light the ground. Prob not very far. They're cheap!  Try a pair and see if it would work for you
2015-3-20
Use props
TheRann4u
Second Officer

United States

I will. Thanks for Sharing
2015-3-20
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

tolanid@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-20 18:32
Thanks for the suggestions.  I see few online but being new at this (less than one week of owning P2 ...

My thought process was the extra weight of the battery would lower the flight time more than the small drain of the LEDs.

As I said I soldered mine to the power right at on the ESC board. My solder joint was better than the the original one from DJI. I had already opened mine for painting it an to inspect it to be sure the correct ESCs were installed so my warranty was already void. The LED circuitry is pretty benign  so not much chance of it affecting the Phantom.  The nice thing about opening it is being able to install a on/off switch plus I ran a couple of aux power cables with micro connectors  to the landing skid legs for future use. Just for fun I used them to attach both sets of lights before I removed the ones on the landing legs. Because of the connectors I can reattach them any time.

2015-3-20
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

I'm going to assume Jato that you've had this drone for a while so you feel more comfortable with these changes.  I'm still in the first week virgin mode   Give me some time and I'll try to take more risks   Thanks for sharing your setup.  I love the picture bud
2015-3-20
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I've had it since Christmas. It was painted and the lights installed within 2 weeks me owning it. I have a issue about just leaving things alone.
I have kept track of stuff I have done to it on my website. It kind of like a logbook. I get bored and start trinkering.
http://jatobservatory.org/misc/UAV/webpage/UAS.htm
2015-3-20
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

You have definitely put a lot of hard work and time into modifying this.  Thanks for sharing this on your website.  I am about to install my trackimo right now (yep - get up before 6am to do this on a Saturday).  

Two questions from you website in first glance.  1.  You don't have the included cover for trackimo on it - Isn't that suppose to "water proof" it?  2.  Your altitude shows over 1000 ft.  I thought we are not supposed to go over 400 as per FAA (unless you are not in US).  Or, Am I the crazy guy keeping it under 400?

2015-3-21
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

tolanid@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-21 18:47
You have definitely put a lot of hard work and time into modifying this.  Thanks for sharing this on ...

The cover makes it water resistant not water proof, but if the Trackimo needs to be water resistant while on the Phantom you got bigger issues. Also that cover adds another 10 grams and you have to remove it to charge. The video below is the only time for me the cover might have been helpful. The outside shell of the Phantom was wet after the flight, but both the Phantom and the Trackimo were fine:1st Fully Manual Flight of DJI Phantom 2 in Heavy Fog:

As far as height, the Flytrex is reporting altitude which is the distance above sea level that it gets from the Phantom's onboard GPS, not the distance above the local ground level.  The Phantom uses the change in barometic pressure at take-off to try and track your height above ground level. In my case I live in a slight mountainous area that has an elevation around 1300 feet. Because of the trees and power lines in my neighborhood my flights are around 150 to 250 feet above my local ground level if I leave my backyard. I am always cognizant of my height as I have an airport near me.  My house is in the approach path.

2015-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules