Should I buy a P4P given issues?
1886 30 2017-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi all,

I was about to spend £2.5k getting setup with a Phantom 4 Pro kit but after monitoring this forum the last few days, I'm seriously worried about the investment. I'm seeing a number of threads expressing serious concern.

My question is to the long serving members of this board and drone owners in general. When issues present like this post update, what is Dji's performance like in resolving? Are they communicative on here, are you all kept informed with what's going? Do the Dji kids have a presence here given this is the official product forum?

Thanks you,
Nick.
2017-7-10
Use props
Emdub 8
New
Flight distance : 35141 ft
Canada

If I were you I would wait and watch this forum to see if issues get resolved. My drone is basically inoperable since the beginning of July thanks to firmware update issues. The official DJI service company hasn't responded to basic e-mails asking how to arrange service. I loved the drone when it was flying, but for now its a very expensive paperweight.
2017-7-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This is actually a users forum. DJI do have a presence here, but it is the forum support staff, who do a fine job, but you will not get to talk to any of the designers or technical people, they simply do not appear. DJI is not particularly communicative, but members on here will help you out with any problem quite well.

There are quite a lot of foamers on here, who preach doom and gloom, but what you dont hear about are the thousands of customers who have correctly functioning aircraft with which they are quite happy.

EDIT: The fool who posted just above me is typical of those I mentioned. And he is also dead wrong, because there are no drones out there that are better in any way. You only need to look at his username to get a clue as to why he is on here.

2017-7-10
Use props
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJIbadservice Posted at 2017-7-10 23:25
there are better drones than dji out there - if they really cared they would respond but they dont

Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely don't have money to waste. I'll watch to see if Dji respond. I'm really curious how an update can go out that is so critically flawed given the number of people raising concern already. I was already dubious about investing so much into some kit that relied so heavily on a functioning software component. I'm very worried to see the trouble you guys are xperiemcing.

What other brands would you recommend that are better than Dji?
2017-7-10
Use props
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

there are better drones than dji out there - if they really cared they would respond but they dont

Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely don't have money to waste. I'll watch to see if Dji respond. I'm really curious how an update can go out that is so critically flawed given the number of people raising concern already. I was already dubious about investing so much into some kit that relied so heavily on a functioning software component. I'm very worried to see the trouble you guys are xperiemcing.

2017-7-10
Use props
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

2017-7-10
Use props
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-10 23:31
This is actually a users forum. DJI do have a presence here, but it is the forum support staff, who do a fine job, but you will not get to talk to any of the designers or technical people, they simply do not appear. DJI is not particularly communicative, but members on here will help you out with any problem quite well.

There are quite a lot of foamers on here, who preach doom and gloom, but what you dont hear about are the thousands of customers who have correctly functioning aircraft with which they are quite happy.

Hi Geebax,

Thanks for the reply. Seems something went wonky with my previous post and it sent it multiple times.

I don't necessarily want/need to talk to Dji but more if things are going wrong, is a representative on here keeping people informed. With a unit so dependant on software and lots of investments by users, I was hoping their would be at least an official voice on here.

How are you dealing with these firmware update issues?

Thanks,
Nick
2017-7-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi Niic. Look for a good deal and invest in the P4P, and buy a couple of spare batteries - the standard capacity ones are the cheapest and work fine (albeit with ~5 of 30 min less on spec). But I suggest you DON'T go for the Plus version (with the controller with built-in screen), and use the difference towards a current gen iPad - there are sound reasons for that advice.

Look, DJI support (other than the basic help up here - they try very hard to keep us happy) is cr@p, and DJI communication about what they are doing is cr@p. But the P4P is a superior drone to many at the price point, and the camera is the best on the drone market currently. Seriously good.

People are experiencing issues up here currently because DJI have released some new versions of their app, controller and craft firmware - the trifecta - which are causing some angst in certain circumstances. But it helps if you read and follow instructions, and sadly that's just what many don't do. I have upgraded all, and everything is working OK for me, and I'm not alone - people without issues don't typically post that.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate in PM'ing me direct. Along with my P4P, I also have a P4, and recently exited a long debacle with beta firmware for that, but I still have fun and faith with the product.
2017-7-10
Use props
DerOnkel82
lvl.2
Flight distance : 806470 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi!

I´ve got the P4P+ in December 2016. It was quite buggy when it arrived. then it got better and better until a firmware update in march or so.. after this update it was extremly worse. the app on the android tablet that´s fixed to the controller on the plus model was crashing constantly. also many of the intelligent flight modes didn´t work well. but with the firmware update from june 2017 everything now works as advertised. i am very happy with my P4P+ now and have flown 5 batteries since then. in my eyes now is the perfect time to get one. i would advise you to think about buying the normal P4P, not the plus model, if you ever want to use third party apps. this is not possible with the plus model and may never be. for me this is not a real problem, but there might be a few people who need that. and DJI didn´t advertise that fact very clearly.

I hope this will help you with your consideration.

And keep in mind: in forums like this you will always find more people that are not satisfied than people that are happy, because people with problems are much more likely to speak about these things than people who are totaly happy with there drone. so you can get the impression that DJI sells bad products, although the majority of customers may have no or very little problems at all.

Happy flying!
2017-7-11
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
China

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-7-11
Use props
isaacchu
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Indeed, there is no other drone from other brand that is comparable to DJI product.  And not every P4P suffer issues that other forum members reported. The solution is to buy 2-3 nos. P4P to prevent a situation that one go to repair centre for a month and you would be grounded for months.
2017-7-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For a start, don't get distracted by a few of the idiots that responded early.
There's nothing wrong with the P4 pro and you won't find a better ready-to-fly drone for even twice the price.
2017-7-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Better drones?
If there's something better (or even nearly as good) don't keep it a secret.
Please tell us what's better
2017-7-11
Use props
DerOnkel82
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-11 00:53
Better drones?
If there's something better (or even nearly as good) don't keep it a secret.
Please tell us what's better

I would love to see the "oh so much better drones" too
2017-7-11
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have had my P4P from day one and its been perfect. All recent updates installed. The only time i have had an issue is constant beeping from the remote once. It was a weird one as all I did was move to another spot and it stopped and all was good. Why was it weird, well I was trying to get some footage of a supposed haunted old childrens home used in the war to shelter kids. Its in the middle of nowhere and just would not connect. Brilliant site too and would have been able to get some quality images and vids.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Strines+Reservoir/@53.4270985,-1.6404361,530m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bd56ce41288a1:0x2a0cf99f3122b6e0!8m2!3d53.4099!4d-1.6557

In my view the P4P is worth every penny. Submitted some images for the UK Drone Magazine too this month as had some excellent results.
2017-7-11
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

I have the P4P+
I think it is fantastic but there are issues with firmware. I am now running the previous firmware which so far is running pretty good. I do get a bit paranoid from time to time which is hardly surprising with all the doom and gloom on here and I'm sure some of it is well justified. Some people are lucky and have had no problems at all. My advice if you are going to buy would be to buy with a credit card or buy off Amazon. Also make sure you buy from an approved dealer. If you don't buy from approved then you could well end up in the brown stuff if your bird has issues. Oh and take DJI Care or whatever they call it these days. It's worth the extra in my opinion.
2017-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And a national UK retailer does 2 year warranty on all their electrics, which includes the P4 series
2017-7-11
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please state which drones are better out there at this time beside DJI? Autel?, Yuneec? or Go Pro? Autel is stuck in Phantom 3 land with their quad, the last time Yuneec had a new drone out was the Typhoon H (flying spider) almost a year ago, and I can bet you can get a very cheap Karma on Ebay now.
2017-7-11
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

niic Posted at 2017-7-10 23:35

You will not read about people NOT having issues, because they are quite busy enjoying their DJI drones...
2017-7-11
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

I am one not having any major issues. I did have a bit of trouble getting all the firmware to sync up, but once done, everything works great. Get a P4P. You can't do better right now without spending a lot more (Inspire 2?)
2017-7-11
Use props
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for the replies, really great community here. I'm really liking how everyone jumps in and helps each other. However  ...it is still really concerning seeing the volume of issues though (valid or not). I'm very curious to know why so many people are having the issues if the FW updates are straightforward. I understand a portion may be not following procedure but it seems like an unusually high number of people having issues ...that said, I've not been around here during a previous update. I'm just really surprised at the fallout response.

Cheers
2017-7-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

niic Posted at 2017-7-11 09:41
Thanks everyone for the replies, really great community here. I'm really liking how everyone jumps in and helps each other. However  ...it is still really concerning seeing the volume of issues though (valid or not). I'm very curious to know why so many people are having the issues if the FW updates are straightforward. I understand a portion may be not following procedure but it seems like an unusually high number of people having issues ...that said, I've not been around here during a previous update. I'm just really surprised at the fallout response.

Cheers

"However  ...it is still really concerning seeing the volume of issues though"

Think about where you are.
If you looked around a big hospital A&E department you could ask why are so many people unhealthy?
With experience you might also notice some were genuinely unwell while others have hypochondria.
2017-7-11
Use props
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-11 13:01
"However  ...it is still really concerning seeing the volume of issues though"

Think about where you are.

Good point! ...but does this usually happen then after every update i.e the number of reporting issues? If not then still a question mark.
2017-7-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

niic Posted at 2017-7-11 15:14
Good point! ...but does this usually happen then after every update i.e the number of reporting issues? If not then still a question mark.

' If not then still a question mark.'

If, at this point in time, after reading all that went before, you are still undecided, then best you don't buy a drone. Because all of them have small issues and all of them have people complaining about them.
2017-7-11
Use props
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-11 15:25
' If not then still a question mark.'

If, at this point in time, after reading all that went before, you are still undecided, then best you don't buy a drone. Because all of them have small issues and all of them have people complaining about them.

Nah I'm still buying one ...I have been taking careful note of your comments and happy to go ahead ;)

I work in software so work allot with a release environment so I'm just interested with why so many people are having issues. If people were voicing problems consistently across each release then I wouldn't be too phased but if a release happens and there is a massive spike in volume even taking into account it is never the same user, that is cause for concern. Like so many users have already commented, I'm not hearing about all the people not having issues ...and the power users in this thread that have commented all is fine, I'm happy.
2017-7-12
Use props
niic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you for everyone's comments ...REALLY appreciate it. I am looking forward to bugging you all with loads of questions
2017-7-12
Use props
Aerotheque
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112986 ft
Australia

I'm very happy with my P4P and have no regrets buying it.  Really fantastic drone
2017-7-12
Use props
DerOnkel82
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

niic Posted at 2017-7-12 01:14
Thank you for everyone's comments ...REALLY appreciate it. I am looking forward to bugging you all with loads of questions

No Problem, just ask whenever you have questions!
2017-7-12
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

No problems with my P4P. All updates loaded.
2017-7-12
Use props
papartis
lvl.2
Lithuania

P4P+ user here. In most cases you will be in awe, P4P is that good. But its not all wine and roses here - sometimes there are small glitches either with software or drone behavior. Video quality is amazing and so are the photographs - a real improvement over 12mpx camera of P4, P3, etc. I am mostly lucky because I did not experience many many bugs that people are complaining here however at the time I write VPS system does not work properly so I keep it turned off. Also, P4P+ controller has a great screen but it's limited to DJI only software and there are some glitches (it cannot remember automatic screen brightness setting, so every time you turn it on,  the brightest setting kicks in and that's not really comfortable at night or evening, but that's a small thing anyway). I did not update the firmware to the latest one because of so much complaints, I am going to skip this one until new is released. Before purchasing P4P+ I was seriously considering to buy Yuneec Typhoon H, however after numerous reviews on youtube I found it to be worse than P4P. Dji makes a great products, probably the best consumer and professional drones however they need to double - triple check their products before they are released.
2017-7-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

niic Posted at 2017-7-11 09:41

Cheers

You think / worry too much.

I have flown all three of the 2016 DJI craft. The P4P is a happy medium between the ultra portable Mavic and the professional but heavy to lug around I2. Go for it. Have not had any trouble with FW upgrades etc. Have flown in multiple countries, no problem carrying it around etc. ...
2017-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules