Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Avoid Crash due to Compass Interference
82646 411 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
uildes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 786066 ft
Brazil

Wolferl Posted at 2018-8-26 00:58
Hi uildes,

For Android, there are numerous apps like "GPS Status" which do show a compass needle. So there must be some kind of sensor for this to work.

hello wolferl,

Sorry for disagreeing. In Brazil, there are several Android inbound, and I can assure you that they do not have compass sensors, however, North direction is only accurate when the mobile is in motion. When in motion, the GPS is able to identify which way it is heading, and then it is possible to correctly identify the North.

what I question is, it is a very great risk to lose the Aircraft by an interference in the compass, being thus, the firmware should, during a fault in the compass, wait for a movement in any direction of the aircraft and with this, to identify the North by the movement, with GPS.

of course it would not have the same precision, and perhaps it would have a much greater margin of error, but it is a crisis situation, it would be a much better solution than going into atti mode.
2018-9-4
Use props
uildes
lvl.1
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-26 07:03
Magnetic interference is usually picked up on the ground, aircraft warning system does not always pick this up , I will try explain below what may occur when magnetic interference is picked up from ground or surrounding area.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.

hallmark007,

in my case, I believe it was a high voltage electricity grid that exists near home. Although I always flew in the region, it had never happened.

Discussing the subject with friends in Brazil in similar cases, we noticed some common situations.

Before that happened - when the AC went into ATTI mode in flight, because of an internference in the compass - I had noticed a difficulty in calibrating the compass. I had already tried it in several places, and it really was very difficult to calibrate. Even after being able to calibrate it, I could see that the RTH was a few degrees crooked ... but since it worked like this since I took it out of the box, I thought it was normal.

After that, I went to search in Brazilian forums, and people reported a process of "demagnetizing" the compass. This process uses a small fridge magnet, and consists of approaching the aircraft - but without touching - and turning in several directions and directions, in circular movements and also in the form of "eight".

I did this with the aircraft switched off, and after turning on the AC, the compass seemed to be at the maximum interference level ... - the red bar is at the maximum.

To my surprise, it was very easy to calibrate the compass in sequence!

in the first tests it was well known that the RTH was very well aligned with the center of the screen!

So, I believe that during the import trip to Brazil, the object may have contact with some magnetic equipment, such as speakers, for example.

And the method of "demagnetizing" the aircraft, though not recommended, seemed to work perfectly!
2018-9-4
Use props
uildes
lvl.1
Brazil

uildes Posted at 2018-9-4 14:45
hallmark007,

in my case, I believe it was a high voltage electricity grid that exists near home. Although I always flew in the region, it had never happened.

I forgot to say. So far, there has never been a "compass error."
2018-9-4
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Germany

uildes Posted at 2018-9-4 14:19
hello wolferl,

Sorry for disagreeing. In Brazil, there are several Android inbound, and I can assure you that they do not have compass sensors, however, North direction is only accurate when the mobile is in motion. When in motion, the GPS is able to identify which way it is heading, and then it is possible to correctly identify the North.

Hi uildes,

OK, I have never seen such a device and wans't aware these exist.
Of course one can identify north by monitoring GPS coordinates. But it would be very slow and inaccurate. It wouldn't be possible to hold position with this scheme, because it needs fast movement (several km/h) to give good results. Controlling a flight path requires a PID control loop, which are /very/ difficult to get stable when sensor signals are delayed.

In my opinion DJI should really look into these IMU exceptions, correct the issues and all is good. Many copter systems are not plagued by this phenomenon...

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-9-4
Use props
uildes
lvl.1
Brazil

Wolferl Posted at 2018-9-4 23:13
Hi uildes,

OK, I have never seen such a device and wans't aware these exist.

I understand that we think that, in one way or another, DJI should correct these problems.

Just to reinforce, this is fact, Android without compass actually exists. And they work so well with some applications that are rarely noticed by ordinary users, even at low speeds, such as walking. An example is the Moto G5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_G5

However, as I said, it is not ideal for controllers in a drone. But it would solve in a moment of failure, and we would not lose the aircraft.

Good flights,
2018-9-5
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

The reason why Spark falls into ATTI sooner then a Mavic Pro/air or Phantom is that Spark only has one compass and one IMU installed . While the others have a double set (backup).
2018-9-6
Use props
Duncdude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18491 ft
United Kingdom

very useful.
2018-9-6
Use props
driverman930
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93865 ft
United States

good to know thanks
2018-9-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jos A Posted at 2018-9-6 01:34
The reason why Spark falls into ATTI sooner then a Mavic Pro/air or Phantom is that Spark only has one compass and one IMU installed . While the others have a double set (backup).

New M2P has only one compass and so far not to many cases of problems with that craft going to Atti mode any more than MPRO P4Pro , hopefully haven’t spoke to soon, but problem is still there in Mavic Pro, if you get magnetic interference on the ground you are just as likely to get it in two compasses.
2018-9-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hope it helps..
2018-9-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hope it helps..
2018-9-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hope it helps good luck...
2018-9-6
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-6 14:46
New M2P has only one compass and so far not to many cases of problems with that craft going to Atti mode any more than MPRO P4Pro , hopefully haven’t spoke to soon, but problem is still there in Mavic Pro, if you get magnetic interference on the ground you are just as likely to get it in two compasses.

agree but I think the yaw problems of the Spark  in flight ,then go to ATTI has to do with that single compass and imu
2018-9-6
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

How close does metal have to be before it interfears with the compass. One reason for asking, I've had compass trouble before because of taking off from a concrete sidewalk. The rebar in the concrete really messed with the compass. It happened on more than one occasion. Was thinking of using maybe a 2" or even a 4" piece of styrofoam as a takeoff pad to put a few more inches between the Mavic and the rebar. Thoughts?
2018-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-10-5 16:08
How close does metal have to be before it interfears with the compass. One reason for asking, I've had compass trouble before because of taking off from a concrete sidewalk. The rebar in the concrete really messed with the compass. It happened on more than one occasion. Was thinking of using maybe a 2" or even a 4" piece of styrofoam as a takeoff pad to put a few more inches between the Mavic and the rebar. Thoughts?

You could try using a platform, but best to probably take off from grass.

Compass distances.

Natural and Artificial Magnetic Anomalies Warning
Note
The following information has not been objectively tested to determine it’s impact on a Drones compass accuracy in flight.
        1        Many things can distort the earth’s magnetic field in the area you are flying:
        •        Steel framed or reinforced concrete buildings, bridges and roadways, iron pipes and culverts, high power electric lines, heavy equipment, trucks and automobiles, steel tanks, electric motors and even computers.
        •        Flying between steel framed or reinforced high rise buildings will distort the magnetic field in addition to causing GPS multi-pathing.
        2        Safe distances for compass calibration
        •        6” (15 cm) minimum: Metal rim glasses, pen/pencil, metal watch band, pocket knife, metal zipper/buttons, belt buckle, batteries, binoculars, cell phone, keys, camera, camcorder, survey nails, metal tape measure.
        •        18” (50 cm) minimum: Clipboard, data collector, computer, GPS antenna, 2-way radio, hand gun, hatchet, cell phone case with magnetic closure.
        •        6 ft (2 m) minimum: Bicycle, fire hydrant, road signs, sewer cap or drain, steel pole, ATV, guy wire, magnets, chain-link fence, bar-wire fence, data collectors
that use a magnet to hold the stylus.
        •        15 ft (5 m) minimum: Electrical box, small car/truck, powerline, building with concrete & steel.
        •        30 ft (10 m) minimum: Large truck, metal building, heavy machinery.
2018-10-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

How close does metal have to be before it interfears with the compass. One reason for asking, I've had compass trouble before because of taking off from a concrete sidewalk. The rebar in the concrete really messed with the compass. It happened on more than one occasion. Was thinking of using maybe a 2" or even a 4" piece of styrofoam as a takeoff pad to put a few more inches between the Mavic and the rebar. Thoughts?

Going to depend upon amount of rebar (size of rebar & spacing of rebar), and depth in concrete rebar is positioned.  

When testing, I have seen effects of rebar in concrete minimized, by rotating drone or moving drone side to side or front to back, to where bars that show Magnetic Interference turned Green.

During same tests, was able to rotate drone and position to maximized effects of rebar in concrete upon drones compass.  
Pos-2_0.00-in.jpg

From there, it took raising drone the width of two 2x4s, or 3-inches to get bars that show Magnetic Inteference to turn Green.
Pos-2_3.00-in.jpg

2018-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Good luck and don’t try to make it to complicated.
2018-10-6
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-6 02:11
Good luck and don’t try to make it to complicated.

Thanks hallmark for the detailed information. All good to know. In case you wonder why I don't always just takeoff from grass, sometimes I shoot for realtors in urban areas. I just recently shot a hi-rise condo and the only grass takeoff point had dangerous trees, the asphalt had dangerous traffic, and my only clear area was the rebared concrete. I guess it would be best if I hand launched in such situations.   
2018-10-6
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-5 21:38
Going to depend upon amount of rebar (size of rebar & spacing of rebar), and depth in concrete rebar is positioned.  

When testing, I have seen effects of rebar in concrete minimized, by rotating drone or moving drone side to side or front to back, to where bars that show Magnetic Interference turned Green.

Thanks. That's the exact kind of thing I was thinking about, but I've decided to take up the practice of hand launching when concrete is my only other option.PS - Nice yellow skin! Bet that makes it easier to pinpoint in the sky
2018-10-6
Use props
Steven Hawthorne
lvl.3

Great tip....but with such limited flying time with the Spark this represents over 10% total flying time.....

But I agree...good points....would just be nicer if DJI somehow included real time tracking for flyaways...or a tracker built in with it's own source or power.
2018-10-10
Use props
lucll
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34331 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-29 05:38
Your welcome, it's tried and tested the last 4 years.

thank you for the great pointers
2018-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Steven Hawthorne Posted at 2018-10-10 16:57
Great tip....but with such limited flying time with the Spark this represents over 10% total flying time.....

But I agree...good points....would just be nicer if DJI somehow included real time tracking for flyaways...or a tracker built in with it's own source or power.

Although I put in two minutes, once you get used to doing it , it should take less than 1 minute.
2018-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

lucll Posted at 2018-10-11 14:25
thank you for the great pointers

Your welcome hope it helps.
2018-10-11
Use props
DAVE6820
lvl.1
Flight distance : 610 ft
Singapore

Hi,

I just bought a new Spark but I faced a problem. The DJI GO application always prompt me to compass calibrate in the aircraft status beside the word "normal" indication. I did calibrate the compass each time it showed in the aircraft status screen.

Can I know why this compass calibrate prompt is always appearing in the aircraft status whenever I am connected to spark on the DJI GO application? Even though I did calibrate compass and is successfully everytime, the next time of usage when I am connected, the aircraft status still reflect compass calibrate but has the word "normal" indication.

The calibrate prompt is always appearing on the aircraft status whenever I am connected to Spark through the remote controller with iPhone. I have calibrated it for many times but it just wont go away. I did as instructed each time to stay away from buildings or metallic items and rotate the Spark as shown in the compass calibration instructions. Can I check for the second phase of compass calibration vertically, do I point the nose (camera) downwards or sideway? There are many different versions to it.

Please help me on this compass calibrate problem. Thanks a lot.
2018-11-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAVE6820 Posted at 11-5 22:11
Hi,

I just bought a new Spark but I faced a problem. The DJI GO application always prompt me to compass calibrate in the aircraft status beside the word "normal" indication. I did calibrate the compass each time it showed in the aircraft status screen.

If you are talking about the small white box adjacent to the word normal, this is not a warning to calibrate, but a short cut to calibrate for those who wish to calibrate, it doesn’t mean you have to calibrate, once your not getting a warning in your telemetry top left then there is no need to calibrate.
2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAVE6820 Posted at 11-5 22:11
Hi,

It doesn’t matter whether nose is facing up or down when you calibrate, it will give good calibration either way.
2018-11-6
Use props
DAVE6820
lvl.1
Flight distance : 610 ft
Singapore

hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 02:18
If you are talking about the small white box adjacent to the word normal, this is not a warning to calibrate, but a short cut to calibrate for those who wish to calibrate, it doesn’t mean you have to calibrate, once your not getting a warning in your telemetry top left then there is no need to calibrate.

Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it as it has been bothering me for the whole day. Cheers...
2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAVE6820 Posted at 11-6 03:02
Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it as it has been bothering me for the whole day. Cheers...

No problem, these things can be confusing to most of us at times.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

DJI have a real problem on their hands here... this issue is now prevalent across their entire line of consumer drones...

firmware updates for the mavic pro/air spark now all have threads stating an increase in issues relating specifically to compass performance and unwanted yaw performance issues in the aircraft and gimbal systems

It has sounded to me having talked with DJI several times they know this is and issue and also by the sound if it.. these aircraft are using similar if not the same code base for at least some of their firmware...

my GUESS is that they have been tweaking the filtering and possibly even the euler angle equations as newer hardware like the mavic 2 and air were coming on line to have their algorithms perform well across the spectrum of aircraft rather than having to fork and maintain code bases for each aircraft separately..

could also be, but less likely. that the actual hardware (chips) that DJI have chose degrade rapidly.. since this all seems tied to firmware updates..

in my case I had 2 brand new sparks bought in Sept of '18 ... all came with 2017 vintage firmware and flew great for 2 weeks.. after updating to the latest firmware as nagged by the Go app... both aircraft began having issues immediately..  no refreshing of firmware, compass or IMU cals would rid it.. and curiously ... one was worse than the other..

just bought a Mavic Pro, and it too came with 2017 firmware, this was Nov '18 and they still have product in the pipeline with '17 era firmware (because they know its flies better probably) .. as soon as I updated I started having the same issues as the spark...

analysis in csvview you can clearly see on ANY flight... there is a discrepancy between yaw and magyaw... and when that separation gets to the internal limit.. you guessed it. you start seeing anywhere from dozens to hundreds of compass and yaw warnings.. followed by the dreaded cascade of IMU WORKING Exception, the GPS weak when it turns off GPS and finally ATTI MODE... at which time I believe that it likely does what we called and in flight alignment in the military.. and the aircraft resets the kalman filters and re-aligns the INU.. during which time people have reported various levels of control and even times where the aircraft did not just drift with the wind but decided to bolt...

all you can see in the GO app is the biases.. and only if the aircraft is at rest.. in flight you have no way of knowing just how jacked up the IMU is becoming .. there is no raw readout of heading  ..

the only way to tell how jacked up your system is getting is the following..

comparing aircraft heading to your known position  via the map or the radar.. in both cases your phone must be operating properly.. i.e. ... if you have the map up and standing near a road.. the road MUST be aligned like it is in the map, not in N UP mode but in compass mode..

another way to tell if the aircrafts heading is really matching reality is to hit RTH from a distance of at least 300 meters... the more the better...   when RTH is initiated .. the aircraft takes present position and calculates a NAV solution to the HOME POINT then plots the HEADING of the RHUMB line to make that navigation good.. THEN ROTATES to that HEADING...

the spark, mavic line IS SUPPOSED to POINT DIRECTLY as the home point on RTH ... if its NOT CENTERING UP THE HOME POINT .. that ANGLE OFF is how far OFF THE COMPASS is...

one of my sparks RTH at over 40 degrees... and that one I returned to where I bought it from rather than deal with DJI

another way it to do a precision take off... fly a bit.. aggressively if you use sport mode...  initiate a RTH TO A PRECISION landing...  should work with any landing but precision works better

when the aircraft gets overhead it ROTATES to the HEADING it TOOK OFF FROM

if you line your craft up with a cement crack, chalk line on a sports field etc.. you will notice IT NO LONGER FACES THE SAME DIRECTION... the angle off is the COMPASS ERROR since TAKEOFF....

again my sparks would be way off.. and now my mavic is doing it although to a slightly lesser extent than the sparks.. so far about 15 degrees....

curiously .... HOW MANY PEOPLE when flying at EXTENDED RANGE...LOOSE SIGNAL at the moment ATTI kicks in?????

does anyone think that the way DJI gets such performance out of WIFI is by using BEAM STEERING ?????  and if so.. instead of beam steering off signal gain... are they beam steering again based on the calculation of the heading to the home point...????

that would explain why signal drops occur coincidentally with ATTI mode and IMU reboot..,.

2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 04:59
DJI have a real problem on their hands here... this issue is now prevalent across their entire line of consumer drones...

firmware updates for the mavic pro/air spark now all have threads stating an increase in issues relating specifically to compass performance and unwanted yaw performance issues in the aircraft and gimbal systems

If your having that many problems it might be time to send in for someone to look at.
Regarding involuntary Yaw movement yes I read some having this problem, but on the whole very few compared to the amount of those with no problems, yes it might have something to do with app but again only a few, as regards Mavic you can now fly using pilot app which is less overloaded.

With regards to compass problems, and aircraft going into Atti mode, usually there are symptoms to explain why this happens and ways to avoid it happening, as someone who always checks compass preflight, I can only tell you I have never had any problems.

All these problems you mentioned are not connected, compass problems can easily be explained and why craft goes to Atti mode IMU heading exception, I will try below.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass.

While I can’t be certain you picked up interference from the ground or surrounding area it is the most common cause.
I have seen many cases where people start their aircraft in or on their car in their house and then bring it outside so damage is already done and we will see exact same warnings and and reaction from aircraft.

We all should check our compass when we start our aircraft and maybe more of this could be avoided, you can do this by checking the compass values in your app also check small red triangle in the lower left corner of your telemetry, it should be on the same heading as your aircraft.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 05:34
If your having that many problems it might be time to send in for someone to look at.
Regarding involuntary Yaw movement yes I read some having this problem, but on the whole very few compared to the amount of those with no problems, yes it might have something to do with app but again only a few, as regards Mavic you can now fly using pilot app which is less overloaded.

The compass values in the app mean nothing.. that is their ESTIMATION of compass INTERFERENCE .. and has nothing to do with the compass heading.. or stacking errors caused by software FILTERING ALGORITHMS which DJI use to dampen and filter the compass

2> I am not stupid.. nor are many other very experience drone operators that are having issues with their DJI equipment .. and these problems now quite clearly became worse in the .04.xxxx release of the firmware... they definitely changed something..

of course if you take off on interference .. you are going to see an immediate swing in the compass when you clear it.. now explain why it happens INSTANTLY after flying at speed more than 3000 meters in a straight line then either stop and or stop and rotate...  the magnetic field does not change but the rapid attitude change in the craft is effecting the compass (its solid state after all) its not being appropriately compensated quickly enough.. a large deviation occurs and many times that will trigger it right there.. 400 feet up... no interference anywhere.. just a rapid change in flight attitude... check you scvview.. watch the yaw magyaw on a flight .. you can see them diverge not COINCIDENCE on 3 AIRCRAFT all happened at the same time RIGHT AFTER UPDATING FROM .03.xxxx FIRMWARE to .04.xxxx FIRMWARE...

personally I think you are a DJI shill on this site because you most always come to .. its not DJI but operator error...

I flew and instructed jets in the military for 20 years and build and flew drones long before DJI came along...
2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 05:49
The compass values in the app mean nothing.. that is their ESTIMATION of compass INTERFERENCE .. and has nothing to do with the compass heading.. or stacking errors caused by software FILTERING ALGORITHMS which DJI use to dampen and filter the compass

2> I am not stupid.. nor are many other very experience drone operators that are having issues with their DJI equipment .. and these problems now quite clearly became worse in the .04.xxxx release of the firmware... they definitely changed something..

Well maybe you should show or put up your log where you got compass interference at 3000 metres , I haven’t seen many in fact none where this has happened short of flying across a Steele roof, your talking about a few craft and if yours are all having this problem return them warranty will cover defects .
I do what I think are necessary preflight checks I don’t have problems and if I did I would be progressive about it and return drone for a working one.
You should realize that by far the majority of dji drones are working fine, it’s pretty simple if it’s broke get it fixed.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 06:28
Well maybe you should show or put up your log where you got compass interference at 3000 metres , I haven’t seen many in fact none where this has happened short of flying across a Steele roof, your talking about a few craft and if yours are all having this problem return them warranty will cover defects .
I do what I think are necessary preflight checks I don’t have problems and if I did I would be progressive about it and return drone for a working one.
You should realize that by far the majority of dji drones are working fine, it’s pretty simple if it’s broke get it fixed.

yeah.. i am going to take a brand new mavic and send it to DJI so that they can send me a refurb.. no thanks .. I will wait until the engineers pull their heads out and figure out the issue..

there are dozens of threads here and over at spark/mavic pilots website where csv files are posed ad-nausium.. and my logs are my business and since I know how to anylize them I don't need your help....
2018-11-6
Use props
White Ox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

I have 2 sparks, and now a Mavic Pro Platinum - and all this talk makes me so leery to fly....

What's the easiest way to check my flight logs for the yaw errors?

I flew the Mavic for the first time yesterday, and had a total disconnect - no tablet communication, no controller communication.   Luckily, my mavic was only about 4 feet off the blacktop in my driveway and it just sat there and hovered for about 45 seconds till things came back to life.  Upon re-connect, my tablet told me the home point had been updated and I regained control.  I might be wrong, but I'm guessing that the only reason it didn't fly away was due to the fact it was close to the ground and she  maintained position visually.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

White Ox Posted at 11-6 06:50
I have 2 sparks, and now a Mavic Pro Platinum - and all this talk makes me so leery to fly....

csvview is rather technical and flight log analysis requires a very fundamental understanding on how flight automation software and MEMS gyros and flight controllers work.. from and engineering perspective..

follow my guidelines above on how to tell if you aircraft compass (or at least what your aircraft thinks its heading is) vs reality... that is part if it.. what you can't see without peering into the logs however is seeing what the flight controller is getting for a mag heading from the compass vs a calculated magyaw value (heading-ish) value calculated by the flight controller / software ... its when those values diverge is when the software tells the system to shut down / atti mode/ reboot and hope for the best... in flight...
2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

White Ox Posted at 11-6 06:50

From what you say regarding your MPP it lost connection with RC and landed, which is correct procedure when RC signal is lost and aircraft is within 20 metres of homepoint, so that part was right, without your log I can’t explain why you lost signal.

Regards being afraid to fly, reality is the vast majority of dji aircraft fly and react as they should and the vast majority of users are flying quite happily. MPP is an amazing craft and this Mavic is proven to be one of dji,s best and safest craft, you will continue to read some people having problems around here, simply because this is where they come to complain, so don’t let that stop you flying they are very few.

You can upload your logs to link below, if your having problems reading them just let me know.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 06:39
yeah.. i am going to take a brand new mavic and send it to DJI so that they can send me a refurb.. no thanks .. I will wait until the engineers pull their heads out and figure out the issue..

there are dozens of threads here and over at spark/mavic pilots website where csv files are posed ad-nausium.. and my logs are my business and since I know how to anylize them I don't need your help....

Well that’s your prerogative, if you know how to read your logs that’s fine but don’t go saying you flew 3000 metres and get magnetic interference and ask someone or anyone to believe it because I haven’t seen one case of this and I don’t expect I will .

You can wait for dji to give FW updates but your new Mavic warranty is fast running down and FW updates don’t come around that often, .400 to .500 for Mavic Air 6 months.
There aren’t dozens of threads here regarding Mavic having similar problems to you that’s just spreading hysteria, in fact the drone showing the fewest problems around here is Mavic Pro, I’m a member of Mav pilots and it’s a similar case there too.

I hope you get your FW update and it’s everything you expected, but reporting of Yaw issue was not sorted in the last 6 FW or SW updates.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 07:13
Well that’s your prerogative, if you know how to read your logs that’s fine but don’t go saying you flew 3000 metres and get magnetic interference and ask someone or anyone to believe it because I haven’t seen one case of this and I don’t expect I will .

You can wait for dji to give FW updates but your new Mavic warranty is fast running down and FW updates don’t come around that often, .400 to .500 for Mavic Air 6 months.

I am talking 3000 meters horizontally...

and .. speaking as someone that has built quads and learned about placement and tuning.. you can most certainly.. and phones are a great example .. see the compass values swinging all over the place while tilting them .. accelerating them etc... that is what the complimentary and filtering algorithms are designed to try and correct out... dic* up those calcs.. and your heading is wrong.. as for  IMU derrived yaw heading .. that is even more calc based as it a heading as derived though inertial measurement..
2018-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 11-6 07:22
I am talking 3000 meters horizontally...

and .. speaking as someone that has built quads and learned about placement and tuning.. you can most certainly.. and phones are a great example .. see the compass values swinging all over the place while tilting them .. accelerating them etc... that is what the complimentary and filtering algorithms are designed to try and correct out... dic* up those calcs.. and your heading is wrong.. as for  IMU derrived yaw heading .. that is even more calc based as it a heading as derived though inertial measurement..

I fly professionally a matrice 600 and as a hobbyist Spark, MavicPro, Mavic Air, M2P, P4and. P4Pro, I don’t experience anything you are talking about and if I did I would seriously do something about it, what you do is up to you , but it is not the norm for most people.
2018-11-6
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 07:34
I fly professionally a matrice 600 and as a hobbyist Spark, MavicPro, Mavic Air, M2P, P4and. P4Pro, I don’t experience anything you are talking about and if I did I would seriously do something about it, what you do is up to you , but it is not the norm for most people.

wow .. you must really get around if you know most of the millions of DJI users....

personally I don't think 80% of the people flying sparks or mavics for that matter even understand the topics we are discussing and would not even realize its happening... unless it gets bad enough that it goes into atti...

and I would say that like 90% are not even on any of these forums...

so with you BS statement of EVERYTHING is GREAT because I am GREAT statement.. not withstanding ... there are far too many OTHER smart.. active..  and informed users of these products that have posted compelling evidence that issues DO exist...

so while I am happy all is well in your world... don't pis* on others parade to get DJI to fix what is wrong in their world...

2018-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules