Crash - What was the cause? What next?
1537 10 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jake23brown
New
Flight distance : 23264 ft
United States

Hi all, yesterday my drone fell out of the sky and now it has electrical damage. I'm sure there are many threads about crashes here, but each case is different. Personally, I've never had any issues with my 3S until yesterday. I did my routine "pre-flight" check and the app gave me the ready to go. 15 seconds into flight (at 7m in the air), the drone became really  loud and fell on the pier I was flying from. Given the short height, it all happened very fast. My plan was to simply fly straight up above land, but the drone bounced off the pier and into about 3 feet of water. I recovered everything except the battery and one of the four pieces that holds the gimbal.

Anyway, I have no clue as to why my drone crashed. I was climbing at a steady speed and just starting my flight. Currently, I think maybe the new software may be at fault. It was my first flight since downloading the most recent software. I do not think I am at fault in this situation, so what do I do now to fix my drone or get a new one from DJI? I have the flight logs on my iphone. Thanks in advance
2017-7-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sorry for your problems.  Please upload your log here and post the link.  

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

site credit:  msinger
2017-7-11
Use props
jake23brown
New
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-7-11 12:34
Sorry for your problems.  Please upload your log here and post the link.  

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

How do I make the file TXT or CSV? I have an error uploading
2017-7-11
Use props
jake23brown
New
United States

jake23brown Posted at 2017-7-11 13:47
How do I make the file TXT or CSV? I have an error uploading

I figured it out. Here it is:    http://app.airdata.com/main?share=FphPdt
2017-7-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I am puzzled as to how you were given a link to Phantomhelp, yet came back with a link from Airdata. Phantomhelp provides a much better analysis. But in any event, I would be wondering what is under the wooden deck of that pier. If there is an iron or steel, or even concrete substructure, that could have influenced the aircraft when you took off. As for the latest update causing the issue, that is almost certainly not the case.
2017-7-11
Use props
jake23brown
New
United States

I used Phantomhelp and Airdata. Here is the Phantomhelp link:    http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9G1259AO4SVS4ZUEPOI6/

There are no large metal structures on the dock, and there were no interference messages. The only possible interference could come from the Amtrak railline, but other people have flown here without issues.
2017-7-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jake23brown Posted at 2017-7-11 17:13
I used Phantomhelp and Airdata. Here is the Phantomhelp link:    http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9G1259AO4SVS4ZUEPOI6/

There are no large metal structures on the dock, and there were no interference messages. The only possible interference could come from the Amtrak railline, but other people have flown here without issues.

Thanks for the Phantomhelp data, but it does not give any clues. The rail line will not have caused interference, it is too far away. But there might have been lots of steel bolts used to hold the decking on that dock, and if you took off from the dock, then it could have influenced the compass.
2017-7-11
Use props
jake23brown
New
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-11 19:22
Thanks for the Phantomhelp data, but it does not give any clues. The rail line will not have caused interference, it is too far away. But there might have been lots of steel bolts used to hold the decking on that dock, and if you took off from the dock, then it could have influenced the compass.

Thanks for your replies. I too considered metal interference as a cause, but I still doubt that was the reason. I may be sending it to DJI for potential repairs and a diagnosis
2017-7-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jake23brown Posted at 2017-7-11 19:31
Thanks for your replies. I too considered metal interference as a cause, but I still doubt that was the reason. I may be sending it to DJI for potential repairs and a diagnosis

It is actually more common than you think. If you start the aircraft while it is sitting on top of metal, it then gets airborne and finds the compass information quite different, and this can cause unexpected compass behaviour. And quite often it does not report a compass error.
2017-7-11
Use props
Daveb500
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191742 ft
United Kingdom

When you say it became really loud, do you mean the motors speeded up?
2017-7-12
Use props
jake23brown
New
United States

Daveb500 Posted at 2017-7-12 00:15
When you say it became really loud, do you mean the motors speeded up?

Yes. They went max speed
2017-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules