Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 Firmware Update Step by Step Procedure
4286 22 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vincent D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

I completed upgrade successfully and with all new flight modes enabled and Horizon tilt issues corrected. Usinging IOS and Ipad 2 Air.

1. Insure aircraft and RC are fully charged (important).
2. With aircraft off, update RC using DJI app. Make sure you are logged in and have a good wireless internet connection. Once RC has completed update power off RC and IOS device.
3. Format SD card in Aircraft. Connect aircraft to PC using USB to micro USB cable. Power up aircraft. Start up the latest version of DJI assist 2 and install new update.
4. Once the update is complete power down aircraft and remove battery and insert your second battery. Power up craft and refresh DJI Assist 2. The firmware will update battery. As soon as all your batteries have updated, power down aircraft.
5. Power up aircraft and then the  RC. You should have a good link between RC and aircraft, all new flight functions and Horizon Tilt should be resolved.
6. Check all setting and re-set as desired and recalibrate sensors, IMU and compass.
7. Fly safe and enjoy.

2017-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For good measure you could add gimbal & RC calibrations to point 6).
2017-7-11
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Good point.  Thank you.
2017-7-11
Use props
Dazm
New

Australia

Thanks Vincent. I have been stressing about this. My first Phantom (P4P) arrives this week. I have read people saying to update controller and aircraft using ipad/iphone but in step 3 you say to connect to PC, is this better that doing through the ipad/iphone?
2017-7-11
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Do you really need to reconnect the Phantom to the PC with each battery?
I have only just received my P4Pro and only updated with the battery that was installed.
I also have a Mavic and it will update each battery before you fly so long as you have internet connection which I do via 4G.
2017-7-11
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-11 22:06
I have only just received my P4Pro and only updated with the battery that was installed.
I also have a Mavic and it will update each battery before you fly so long as you have internet connection which I do via 4G.

Aloha Jenee,

The battery update for the P4 Pro is done with Assistant 2 and can be done using refresh function rather than a complete re-installation of the firmware.  You are changing the battery to update the current battery, so you need to turn off the Phantom to do so.  Then when you turn the Phantom back on, the PC will reconnect with the Phantom for the refresh.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-12
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-12 02:01
Aloha Jenee,

The battery update for the P4 Pro is done with Assistant 2 and can be done using refresh function rather than a complete re-installation of the firmware.  You are changing the battery to update the current battery, so you need to turn off the Phantom to do so.  Then when you turn the Phantom back on, the PC will reconnect with the Phantom for the refresh.

Aloha Cetacean, I don't understand. The OP has a P3A, a P3P and a P4. he used an iPad 2. Why couldn't he just update the batteries  without using Assistant 2 (Vincent D, if you see my post, can you answer?) ? Also, I have a P4P and didn't need to use Assistant 2 , just cycled my batteries after doing the firmware updates and my batteries got updated too (with the two center LEDs on each one doing their "dance"...)
Drone on!
2017-7-12
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-12 03:19
Aloha Cetacean, I don't understand. The OP has a P3A, a P3P and a P4. he used an iPad 2. Why couldn't he just update the batteries  without using Assistant 2 (Vincent D, if you see my post, can you answer?) ? Also, I have a P4P and didn't need to use Assistant 2 , just cycled my batteries after doing the firmware updates and my batteries got updated too (with the two center LEDs on each one doing their "dance"...)
Drone on!

So are you saying that the additional batteries were updated from the P4P or were you also connected to the RC and tablet/phone?
I think I will just have to try it the same way I updated additional Mavic batteries and see what happens.
2017-7-12
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drone on!

Aloha Antonio,

Yes, he could do as you suggest.  It is up to the flier how they want to proceed.  When I did it the way you suggested, my flight process was disrupted for the update.  In some cases, this can distract from the task at hand.  (Learning about an update just before a flight is a real pain in my book.)  So, really, it is up to you when you want to update the batteries.

One thing is for sure, you want to update the batteries before you fly them because you do not want a battery issue while in the air!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-12
Use props
jdjeff
lvl.3
United States

Umm...how do you update RC using the DJI app?
2017-7-12
Use props
Gsatman
New
Flight distance : 78465 ft
United States

Thanks for the suggestions..I have the P4P+ and for the last couple months I have so enjoyed flying this drone but since this last upgrade that DJI did I have had nothing but trouble..I can't log in to DJI , i can't upload videos , If I can even get to the fly screen i can't fly above 30' even with settings for higher flying..I am so dissapointed with DJI with what they have done I am ready to go with another brand all together..Hope no one else is having all the problems I am having with trying to fly..
2017-7-12
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Australia

You can update the additional batteries by just inserting the battery into the Phantom and then turning everything on. When you first open the app, wait until it does the version check and it will up with a firmware mismatch. It then gives you the option to update and it only takes a couple of minutes to update the battery. Restart the Phantom and you are good to go.
2017-7-12
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

Gsatman Posted at 2017-7-12 18:40
Thanks for the suggestions..I have the P4P+ and for the last couple months I have so enjoyed flying this drone but since this last upgrade that DJI did I have had nothing but trouble..I can't log in to DJI , i can't upload videos , If I can even get to the fly screen i can't fly above 30' even with settings for higher flying..I am so dissapointed with DJI with what they have done I am ready to go with another brand all together..Hope no one else is having all the problems I am having with trying to fly..

Hi Gsatman, from what you describe I think it might be a problem with the internet connection. The upgrade process might have turned the controller's WiFi off... to turn it on again you have to slide your finger down the screen, and this should make a panel visible, with what you need to restart the WiFi. At least this is what I have read in the forum, regarding the P4P PLUS . Hope it will work with you!
2017-7-12
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-12 16:40
Aloha Antonio,

Yes, he could do as you suggest.  It is up to the flier how they want to proceed.  When I did it the way you suggested, my flight process was disrupted for the update.  In some cases, this can distract from the task at hand.  (Learning about an update just before a flight is a real pain in my book.)  So, really, it is up to you when you want to update the batteries.

Aloha and yes, you are totally right :-)  I find it easier to do it from GO 4, but of course it's just me (and probably because my desk would be too clutterd with computer, aircraft, controller and spare batteries ) ... and yes, it must be a real bummer to have to do it at the flight site
2017-7-13
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Dazm Posted at 2017-7-11 20:42
Thanks Vincent. I have been stressing about this. My first Phantom (P4P) arrives this week. I have read people saying to update controller and aircraft using ipad/iphone but in step 3 you say to connect to PC, is this better that doing through the ipad/iphone?

Hi. It worked for me. In fact,  I have always updated my p4 with the assistant app, not the GO app.  To be honest,  I only thought the controller could be updated with the app.  
2017-7-14
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

I just kept it connected powered the craft down, inserted new battery and refreshed the update on DJI Assistant 2. Assistant would say update required, for the batter and it would do a quick update for battery.
2017-7-14
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

I just kept it connected powered the craft down, inserted new battery and refreshed the update on DJI Assistant 2. Assistant would say update required and it would do a quick update for battery.
2017-7-14
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Drone on!

Hello ANTONIO,

I always used assistant 2 when updating my P4. I guess you could use the GO App but as I stated a bit earlier I have never used the app to update the craft on the with cable and assistant 2. Only used the GO App for the controller.
2017-7-14
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-12 15:43
So are you saying that the additional batteries were updated from the P4P or were you also connected to the RC and tablet/phone?
I think I will just have to try it the same way I updated additional Mavic batteries and see what happens.

I have a P4 so can't comment on the P4P
2017-7-14
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-12 15:43

I have a P4 so can't comment on the P4P
2017-7-14
Use props
Stach23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 721795 ft
United States

I used the steps listed at the top and my P4 updated very successfully. While I did format the SD card, I also removed the card for the upgrade and test flight, as that was recommended in another post.

I also had to link the controller after it and the aircraft were updated as there was no link.

The test flight was mostly flawless, but the channel selection went back to Auto and I had a horrible signal. Once I manually selected a high channel (mid-flight), the video was very stable again and I experienced no jittery behavior while flying or hovering. The only very minor issue I'm having is false wind warnings, as there was zero wind today and I still received the false warnings.
2017-7-14
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82900 ft
United States

I can personally testify that this procedure works! I bought a P4P last week, and chose not to upgrade the firmaware at first. Sometimes it would fly ok, and sometimes not. I went through this procedure step by step earlier this afternoon, and am happy to report that my aircraft is now rock solid in the air, and no more problems with the controller or display. Thanks Vincent!
2017-7-18
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
United States

Blue Ridge Big  Posted at 2017-7-18 11:23
I can personally testify that this procedure works! I bought a P4P last week, and chose not to upgrade the firmaware at first. Sometimes it would fly ok, and sometimes not. I went through this procedure step by step earlier this afternoon, and am happy to report that my aircraft is now rock solid in the air, and no more problems with the controller or display. Thanks Vincent!

I'm happy to hear it.
2017-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules