Fear of palm launch fly away
1463 6 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans71c1bf86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 328 ft
United States

Received my Spark a few days ago.  After reading the user manual and flying Spark short distances using the remote (I have never used my phone) for a number of times, I decided to try "Jesture mode".  First of all,  I have not seen any infomation in the manual as to whether or not the remote should be powered on when operating in Jesture mode.  So the first time I tried it, I did not power on the remote.  After tapping the intelligent flight battery button twice, all that happened was the front lights blinked red twice, and nothing more happened. The next time I tried it with the remote powered on.  After tapping the intelligent flight battery button twice, the front lights blinked green twice and the rotor blades began to turn at what appeared to be too high of an RPM.  It was almost all I could do to hold on to Spark for fear it was going to quickly shoot uncontrollably into the sky and fly away.  After a short moment of the blades turning at a high rate, the blades stopped.  I tried it a second and third time with the same frightening results.  What am I doing wrong?  
2017-7-11
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

http://forum.dji.com/thread-99957-1-1.html

2017-7-11
Use props
LintStalker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36588 ft
United States

Before attempting gesture control, I strongly encourage that you watch several Youtube videos first.  The following one, created by DJI is really good.  Also make sure your in a big field with plenty of space and have your RC or phone ready to grab in case things go sideways.  To me, the scariest part is launch and recovery where my hand is inches away from spinning blades.  

2017-7-11
Use props
sagigeva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 576319 ft
United States

I've been flying DJI products for multiple years now and I am an advanced user. I've had partial success with the Spark and especially the palm-launch / gesture control mode, it was working once and then at one time it just went really high in the air and stayed there until the battery ran out. Luckily for me I was in a field and it just landed on the grass.

I wasn't so lucky 3 days later, when I tried this mode by a lake. Spark took off my hand and then started flying away from me. Within 10 seconds it was hovering over the lake, and then just dove in it and disappeared.

I didn't have my phone connected to the drone at the time, so couldn't provide any logs for support, the biggest problem is that DJI won't admit that they have issues with this mode and won't take responsibility. $500 down the drain a week after I got it. I would not recommend buying Spark or using the palm launch mode.

Hopefully someone reads this before throwing away money on a faulty product.

Shame on you DJI!
2017-7-14
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145846 ft
United States

You had a recent incident where your Spark became uncontrollable and landed only because it ran out of battery. Then,  a few days later you flew your Spark again without first connecting to your phone or RC and you decided to do this by a lake?

2017-7-14
Use props
WiredGuy
lvl.1
Canada

I won't launch my Spark without the remote within inches of me. Too many times the app has either crashed or it became unresponsive. Even the remote might not respond unless you press the Pause button to abort the current actions. It's really scary that these drones can fly away at a moments notice without a failsafe.
2017-7-14
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

That is the problem with DJI at the moment,too many records showing up every day and no satisfied answer from DJI.therefore,que all scared.actually,a little bit high RPM in you case is fine.when the led turn from green to red,you can let go.it will hover perfectly,no problem.but i suggest you always connect the mobile when flying so that you have the flight record in case something wrong.DJI will absolutely solve no case without flight record (I think it's fair though).but surely DJI needs to announce about the cases with Spark
2017-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules