Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Are the max altitude capped at 500 meter on the Mavic Pro?
28782 49 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mavic can be flown up to 5,000M above sea level outside of the poles. The max altitude that can be set without hacking your drone is 500M above the home point (the precise position from where the drone takes off). The default altitude is set at 120M (393') as 400' AGL is typically the legal limit for most countries. So whilst you may fly up to 500M above the home point you need to be very skilled to know the terrain you are flying over and ensure you do not fly higher than 400' above the ground at any point during the flight otherwise you may take your drone into manned airspace. I'm not sure on the laws in Norway but using a UAV to place manned aircraft at risk in the UK carries a custodial sentence of up to 5 years imprisonment and may even be investigated under the terrorism prevention act. Flying a drone in manned airspace isn't just irresponsible, it is a very serious criminal act.
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hexacopter Posted at 2018-1-7 00:26
DronePix. You are correct, but this law only apples to Australia.

When I fly (for example) offshore oil rigs in the Timor Sea there are much fewer restrictions and the employer dictates what shots they require and also take full responsibility. it's in the contract.

I suggest your employer reads up on the laws as they can not tell you to break the law and take responsibility on behalf of your actions. If they gave you a gun and said shoot that person, we'll take the blame, YOU would still be charged with murder - no difference.
2018-1-7
Use props
Filip3rd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39390 ft
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-7-11 21:35
Why is everyone reacting so rudly. Maybe the guy is climbing a really high mountain and wants to fly his drone from the peak. You guys need to relax lol

And that statement already disqualified you to buy a Drone. If you don’t understand the basic laws of science then you or anyone else shouldn’t be getting a drone. However Syma makes great mini Drone.
2018-1-7
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Long thread, short answer:
Yes, there is a 500m limit and yes you can remove it.
2018-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2018-1-7 02:05
Long thread, short answer:
Yes, there is a 500m limit and yes you can remove it.

Not without jail break.
2018-1-7
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Filip3rd Posted at 2018-1-7 01:28
And that statement already disqualified you to buy a Drone. If you don’t understand the basic laws of science then you or anyone else shouldn’t be getting a drone. However Syma makes great mini Drone.

Ok genius, please enlighten me with your advanced knowledge of basic laws of science, which Im pretty sure you mean the laws of physics. I never mentioned a hight in my statement, how do you assume right away I dont know the basics of aerodynamics and should not be having a drone??
2018-1-7
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-7 06:05
Not without jail break.

I never said anything else.
2018-1-8
Use props
Eduardo0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6443990 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2017-7-11 23:20
and he can do that without a problem.

That is exact because the flight altitude limitation on the drone is set from the takeoff point and not sea level.
2018-1-8
Use props
Jsleedy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28458 ft

As you can all see this is my first post. I purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum less than a week ago.  I’m checking on the particular thread for the same reason of exceeding the 500 meter limit above take off. Not to fly up into airplane flight paths or something dangerous. I live on a 24,000+ acre ranch. There are no flight paths over my property. Not below 30,000’ anyway. A run to town takes over a hour. I have bluffs and different rises on the property that are close to 1000 meters.  My plan was to use this drone to check on the herds of cows.  They don’t like people or vehicles. So if I can check on births without causing stress that’s good for me and the animals.  I could right now go out and get in my ultralight (which I don’t need a pilots license for) and fly well over 1500 meters legally.  The problem with the ultra light is it’s VERY loud and causes a lot of the afor mentioned stress and gets them running all over. I have already climbed to the top off the highest bluff on the property and taken off. The wind wasn’t a issue.  Admittedly it was a calm day.  Not being able to check on both sides of the rises without climbing to the top basically makes this drone a expensive toy and not the tool I wanted it to be.  If I can’t find a solution I may be returning it and look for other options.  Please don’t assume everyone who wants to exceed the 500 meter limit is going to do something stupid or dangerous with it. The fact everyone has to be limited because of the idiots out there who are dangerous is what seems to be a bigger issue to me.  I haven’t been around this hobby (?) very long but from the things I have read. It’s apparent the dangerous morons are a very very small minority. Yet the overwhelming majority are forced to have arbitrary limitations placed on them. Which brings up a question. If the FAA decides to place a 500 meter limit from the controller. Will DJI update the firmware and suddenly the horizontal distance will be severely limited also?  Assuming I decide I can live with the 500 meter ceiling even though it’s far from ideal.  I couldn’t live with a limited horizontal range. Since I have a limited time to decide if I’m keeping this.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
2018-5-16
Use props
QuikZX10R
New
Flight distance : 25764 ft
Canada

fansa48b05cc Posted at 2017-7-11 19:35
it is jackasses like you that pose a danger. If you want to go for the skies as you say, go to flight school and learn how to fly a real airplane.

Good point go to flight school and learn to fly just like the billions of birds and other flying creatures do.
2020-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules