5994 59 2017-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

SteWong Posted at 2017-7-25 08:46
Thanks so much again, may I ask, what software do you use to read the .DAT files? Wanna have a go

Mostly CsvView and -- less often -- DatCon, both written by BudWalker, who's also the foremost authority -- at least outside DJI -- on analyzing these files.
2017-7-25
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3119432 ft
Hong Kong

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-25 08:58
Mostly CsvView and -- less often -- DatCon, both written by BudWalker, who's also the foremost authority -- at least outside DJI -- on analyzing these files.

Thanks again
2017-7-25
Use props
Eagorg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78461 ft
United States

I purchased my Mavic at the beginning of July and flew it 37 times without issues at all. I have been flying RC for over 15 years and know how to fly these things.  I flew it in an open park on the 38th time when i had the problem stated above in the thread but mine was slightly different.  I was at 118ft and coming back to my location when all of a sudden the drone fell from the sky without warning or notifications of failures.  It was just flying and the props decided to just stop as I watched it fall from the sky straight down onto cement drive way.  It busted into many pieces and was completely destroyed.  I called DJI and they asked me to send it in to have it looked at.   They have had it now for about two weeks, which is longer than I have owned it and they advised that there was a catastrophic power failure on the aircraft.  Below is their account of what happened:
Power Failure FLY18 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input;. 2. At t=496s, relative height=36m, log cut off in mid air with no stick input or obstacle around. 3. no sign or battery voltage drop. Conclusion: Power failure mid air.
The battery level was perfect and no overheating.  All systems checked out just fine without any errors on the screen or in the system.  There was absolutely no warning.  DJI is fixing the problem and sending me a drone back but I have no idea if the drone will fall from the sky again.  This is a serious liability to me and also DJI if the problem happens again.  It was not predicable the first time and I have no idea if it will do it again.  I did update the app right before flight and wondered if this had any reason for the issue.  I asked them for a brand new drone after calling them and speaking to about 6 different people and they advised that they will not do it.  I am concerned that it will fail again and this time over people or property and will cause some harm.  

Question here is, am I crazy for asking for a new unit that that i can have faith in?  I think DJI may have a bigger problem on their hands that is not being addressed.  Advice is welcomed for a frustrated pilot.....

Thanks
2017-7-25
Use props
quickjeff
New
United States

Eagorg Posted at 2017-7-25 09:59
I purchased my Mavic at the beginning of July and flew it 37 times without issues at all. I have been flying RC for over 15 years and know how to fly these things.  I flew it in an open park on the 38th time when i had the problem stated above in the thread but mine was slightly different.  I was at 118ft and coming back to my location when all of a sudden the drone fell from the sky without warning or notifications of failures.  It was just flying and the props decided to just stop as I watched it fall from the sky straight down onto cement drive way.  It busted into many pieces and was completely destroyed.  I called DJI and they asked me to send it in to have it looked at.   They have had it now for about two weeks, which is longer than I have owned it and they advised that there was a catastrophic power failure on the aircraft.  Below is their account of what happened:
Power Failure FLY18 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input;. 2. At t=496s, relative height=36m, log cut off in mid air with no stick input or obstacle around. 3. no sign or battery voltage drop. Conclusion: Power failure mid air.
The battery level was perfect and no overheating.  All systems checked out just fine without any errors on the screen or in the system.  There was absolutely no warning.  DJI is fixing the problem and sending me a drone back but I have no idea if the drone will fall from the sky again.  This is a serious liability to me and also DJI if the problem happens again.  It was not predicable the first time and I have no idea if it will do it again.  I did update the app right before flight and wondered if this had any reason for the issue.  I asked them for a brand new drone after calling them and speaking to about 6 different people and they advised that they will not do it.  I am concerned that it will fail again and this time over people or property and will cause some harm.  

Wow, this kind of scares me now. I just picked up a Mavic 2 days ago and absolutely love it. Reading your story now freaks me out.
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I have no idea if the drone will fall from the sky again.

It's not very likely at all. The OP's case is the first one of its kind that I've seen in a while.

I did update the app right before flight and wondered if this had any reason for the issue.

That's also very unlikely, as the app has only very indirect control over the flight.

Question here is, am I crazy for asking for a new unit that that i can have faith in?

It's not unreasonable to want a new drone, but it's very unlikely that you'll get one. For better or worse, that's just how they do business and I'd be surprised if they make an exception in this case.

Advice is welcomed for a frustrated pilot.....

For what it's worth, DJI seems to be very consistent about seeing to it that you do get a fully functional replacement. It probably will be someone else's refurbished drone, but the likelihood that you'll wind up with one that works fine is pretty high.
2017-7-25
Use props
Eagorg
lvl.1
United States

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts on my situation.  I fully expect a replacement and hope that it is fully functional at the end of the day.  I never had camera issues and or other problems that people were stating in other threads.  I will compare my serial number with the new drone see if that is the case when ever it arrives.  Just don't want a repeat but I also want something that is working at the end of the day and that I have faith in.  These are not cheap and if I had bought this at Costco like my gut was telling me they would have taken it back without questions and I would have been flying again vs waiting for this mess to get sorted out.   I will update one I get the referb back and see if everything is in order.  Cross my fingers for what its worth even though I shouldn't have to.....
2017-7-25
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Sorry to hear about your crash.

The replacement Mavic they gave me seem fine up until now, flight is stable although gimbal seems not level, I might need to send it back again.
2017-7-26
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Eagorg Posted at 2017-7-25 10:46
Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts on my situation.  I fully expect a replacement and hope that it is fully functional at the end of the day.  I never had camera issues and or other problems that people were stating in other threads.  I will compare my serial number with the new drone see if that is the case when ever it arrives.  Just don't want a repeat but I also want something that is working at the end of the day and that I have faith in.  These are not cheap and if I had bought this at Costco like my gut was telling me they would have taken it back without questions and I would have been flying again vs waiting for this mess to get sorted out.   I will update one I get the referb back and see if everything is in order.  Cross my fingers for what its worth even though I shouldn't have to.....

My original Mavic was made May 17 and the replacement unit was made Jan 17... thats kinda upsetting
2017-7-26
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

Question here is, am I crazy for asking for a new unit that that i can have faith in?

It's not unreasonable to want a new drone, but it's very unlikely that you'll get one. For better or worse, that's just how they do business and I'd be surprised if they make an exception in this case.

I bought my device from a retail store here in Ireland. I wonder in a case like this, where DJI confirm it was a hardware failure could you ask them to return it with documentation confirming this. Most local laws will dictate that you can return your product to place of purchase and where its defective have it replaced. They would then be obliged to replace it as new. Literally just came into my head just now.

And also, is this stated in the terms and conditions of purchase of the mavic? I know as part of the Refresh it is, and its very clear. So I know I would have no recourse should I need to use my Refresh, but I am unsure if its part of the terms and conditions of purchase if you buy direct as I went via a retailer.
2017-7-26
Use props
Eagorg
lvl.1
United States

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-7-26 01:51

Great thought as I live in TX and bought this from a retailer in New Jersey through Amazon so i do not think I have an recourse here unfortunately.  I will get my drone tomorrow and will see what it looks like. Well that is according to UPS that is....
2017-7-26
Use props
fans349fb3d0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1283734 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope, dji replace mind. I have already replace one time, I just got it back the new one, I had issue with the replacement, finally i fixed it,  I had down glade and upgrade
2018-1-28
Use props
fans349fb3d0
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-12 04:37
I'm sorry to hear about your crash. The really useful information is in the DAT file for that flight that's stored on the Mavic. If you retrieve it using these instructions, upload it to DropBox or something similar, and provide a link to it here someone may be able to give you some more insight into why this happened. The correct file will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will probably be at least tens of megabytes in size.

I don't have my mavic, I can still retrieve the data?
2018-1-28
Use props
fans349fb3d0
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-12 05:53
FLY056.DAT is the correct file and it shows that your right front motor abruptly stopped during the flight, as shown in the graph below, where the gold line is your Mavic's height and the blue the right front motor's speed. That's also why you see the "Warning: Motor Obstructed" message in the flight log on AirData.

I can't say for certain what would have caused this, though it's typically attributed to debris getting inside the motor. Are you able to turn the right front propeller by hand and by any chance does it make a grinding sound when you turn it? A mechanical issue is always a possibility, but it looks like you've flown a number of times before this, so I'd guess that some sort of obstruction in the motor is what caused the problem.

how do you know this?
2018-1-28
Use props
fans349fb3d0
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

ephektz Posted at 2017-7-12 06:11
When you turn your motors you should feel "bumps." Do all of your motors feel roughly the same?

i did not feel anything when I started it , I was kind liking my new mavic,  after  it got fix first issue which the mavic doesn't  want to stay hoover; I had to downgrade the firmware and upgrade the firmware.  Something weird about this mavic, this doesn't have any hight limit,  not like my old one.  Anyway, I hope Dji and replace it.  
2018-1-28
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

fans349fb3d0 Posted at 2018-1-28 21:47
I don't have my mavic, I can still retrieve the data?

There is a .txt file on your phone. You can upload that here.
Or look at it yourself here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-1-28
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

fans349fb3d0 Posted at 2018-1-28 21:42
I hope, dji replace mind. I have already replace one time, I just got it back the new one, I had issue with the replacement, finally i fixed it,  I had down glade and upgrade

Good luck, hope DJI will replace you a new one
2018-1-30
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

fans349fb3d0 Posted at 2018-1-28 21:49
how do you know this?

I could retrieve the flight log from the drone after the crash, data shown abrupt loss of power to one of the front motor.
2018-1-30
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

fans349fb3d0 Posted at 2018-1-28 21:57
i did not feel anything when I started it , I was kind liking my new mavic,  after  it got fix first issue which the mavic doesn't  want to stay hoover; I had to downgrade the firmware and upgrade the firmware.  Something weird about this mavic, this doesn't have any hight limit,  not like my old one.  Anyway, I hope Dji and replace it.

May be the setup causing the lack of height limit issue? How high could u went?
2018-1-30
Use props
rshah921
lvl.4
United States

SteWong Posted at 2017-7-26 01:05
My original Mavic was made May 17 and the replacement unit was made Jan 17... thats kinda upsetting

where does it tell you when it was made?
2018-1-30
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Refer to this thread will tell you when your mavic was made:

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... -number.3626/page-5
2018-1-30
Use props
Advanced