Best Flight Mode for Indoor Use
3648 13 2017-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WiredGuy
lvl.1
Canada

Trying to fly my Spark indoors but the avoidance detection is making the drone bounce back and forth in a rather eratic fashion. Is there a particular flight mode that's ideal for indoor use where it can just hover in spot with object avoidance disabled or at least minimized?
I tried tripod flight mode but the GPS signal was too weak from inside.
WG
2017-7-13
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

tripod, beginner mode, or lower down the sensitivity in the controller
2017-7-13
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

Good tips above. I was flying in my living room last night, no problems except when I went to land on my coffee table it somehow shifted an inch from landing and fell off and flew up under my AC unit! The props got a bit scuffed up but no other damage and it flew perfectly afterwards. Tough little quadcopter, be careful indoors though!
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn't trust the spark indoors. The sensors are not that good. If you do fly indoors and have prop guards I recommend using them.
2017-7-14
Use props
WiredGuy
lvl.1
Canada

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-13 23:16

Tripod seems to make the most sense for its precision, but my GPS signal is too weak indoors so its not an option. The sensitivity of the controller isn't an issue, its more that object avoidance is causing the drone to fly erratically.
2017-7-14
Use props
WiredGuy
lvl.1
Canada

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-14 05:49
Good tips above. I was flying in my living room last night, no problems except when I went to land on my coffee table it somehow shifted an inch from landing and fell off and flew up under my AC unit! The props got a bit scuffed up but no other damage and it flew perfectly afterwards. Tough little quadcopter, be careful indoors though!

Which mode were you flying it indoors?
2017-7-14
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

WiredGuy Posted at 2017-7-14 12:23
Which mode were you flying it indoors?

Just normal (ATTI I guess) and tripod mode, no GPS. VPS and obstacle avoidance ON. I have flown quite a bit in my house without prop guards but this was my first crash, just a sketchy landing too close to the end of the table.
2017-7-14
Use props
LintStalker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36588 ft
United States

I would definitely fly with the prop guards on inside, or course, I fly with the prop guards on outside as well    
2017-7-14
Use props
WiredGuy
lvl.1
Canada

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-14 13:34
Just normal (ATTI I guess) and tripod mode, no GPS. VPS and obstacle avoidance ON. I have flown quite a bit in my house without prop guards but this was my first crash, just a sketchy landing too close to the end of the table.

I tried Tripod mode and it seems to use GPS for it. It wasn't as fidgety but it was still bouncing a bit trying to move away from obstacles.
2017-7-14
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-13 23:16

Good choices of modes right here.
2017-7-14
Use props
fansf7fa979c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew inside for the first time today. Took several tries to calibrate the compass, but was able to fly without incident.  No gps, so ATTI mode. The Spark seemed to drift a bit sometimes. The first thing anyone wanting to fly inside should do is buy a cheap $20 quad and fly that a bunch first. They are harder to fly and a good training tool. The Spark will usually be easier to control than a $20 quad, but that’s how bad it could get should the sensors fail due to low light or weak signal. If you have already flown without the extra help the sensors provide, you have a better chance of maintaining control.
2017-7-14
Use props
RGSinSC
lvl.2
United States

fansf7fa979c Posted at 2017-7-14 22:30
I flew inside for the first time today. Took several tries to calibrate the compass, but was able to fly without incident.  No gps, so ATTI mode. The Spark seemed to drift a bit sometimes. The first thing anyone wanting to fly inside should do is buy a cheap $20 quad and fly that a bunch first. They are harder to fly and a good training tool. The Spark will usually be easier to control than a $20 quad, but that’s how bad it could get should the sensors fail due to low light or weak signal. If you have already flown without the extra help the sensors provide, you have a better chance of maintaining control.

I thought the bottom camera and sensors supplied the stability indoors that GPS/Glonass provided outside?
2017-7-15
Use props
fansf7fa979c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

RGSinSC Posted at 2017-7-15 08:14
I thought the bottom camera and sensors supplied the stability indoors that GPS/Glonass provided outside?

They do most of the time. I flew in two inside locations. One was darker. The stabilization was not as good in the darker location. I don't think that the bottoms sensors turn off if you are in GPS mode. I think you have both, but the bottoms sensors don't work as well at higher altitudes, in the dark or over surfaces that do not have enough texture. If GPS goes down and you are flying in conditions where the other sensors can't function, it's going to be all on you to keep the Spark from just drifting away. Your best chance for being able to manage that situation is lots of practice controlling something without all the sensors to help. Something inexpensive that you aren't going to be too upset about crashing or losing due to loss of control.
2017-7-15
Use props
Outie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sport mode
2017-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now