sparks ...close call
1182 13 2017-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans99fba624
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi this may sound like a stupid question. ..I was walking in the UK  and had just reached the summit of a mountain  which was a large plateau ,I wanted to get some great video and pics so I flew my spark to about 120ft  in hight and while taking pics I heard the noise of a helicopter and before I knew it , it was rising above the plateau and heading straight for my spark  ..I brought her down as quickly as possible. ...It was a close call ....but who is at fault here .....It was very scary because I try to fly responsibly and it just came from nowhere and it could have ended badly
2017-7-15
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You have always to evade manned vehicle.
So in case of a crash it would be your fault.
2017-7-15
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

Where was it out of interest? I'm interested in how the spark copes with wind on summits, especially in the Lakes?
2017-7-15
Use props
fans99fba624
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It was on Ingleborough and it was fine ...its not too high but can get pretty wild up there ....It copes well in the wind to be honest when you think how small it is
2017-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Manned aircraft have a minimum height they must fly above sea level, in order for them to be flying lower they would need permission and clearance. So if they were flying at low level they would be on the lookout for all obstacles i.e. Kites hand gliders although spark is small they also have a responsibility.

Your flying as a hobbyists you rules require you to be in VLOS which you were, you were in an area where it's legal to fly a drone, you were breaking no laws, you are required to lower your AC when you spot manned aircraft which you did. So you did everything by the book and according to rules for hobbyists flying SUA.

You can't do anymore than that and this is why there was no collision. So for your part No you wouldn't be responsible, it would just be an accident.

Although you are not required to check Notams as commercial RC pilots are, if you are worried you can always do this for the area you are flying in.

You don't have to avade manned aircraft you have to avoid them, if you can see them,  once you can see your AC VLOS then you are acting in a correct manner.
2017-7-15
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans99fba624 Posted at 2017-7-15 01:03
It was on Ingleborough and it was fine ...its not too high but can get pretty wild up there ....It copes well in the wind to be honest when you think how small it is

That's where I'd thought of, when you mentioned the plateau, nice there. I'm a little worried about the jets in the Lakes, they go so fast!
2017-7-15
Use props
fans99fba624
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for that info because it was not in my vision because he must have flown up the side close to the summit and then just appeared ...Thanks makes me feel a bit better
2017-7-15
Use props
fans99fba624
lvl.2
United Kingdom

And yes I saw 2 jets while I was on my way up there but I was safe and well out of their flight path because they tend to into the centre of the valley and follow it low ....but still an awesome sight to see......where you from ?
2017-7-15
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans99fba624 Posted at 2017-7-15 04:19
And yes I saw 2 jets while I was on my way up there but I was safe and well out of their flight path because they tend to into the centre of the valley and follow it low ....but still an awesome sight to see......where you from ?

Cheshire, but we spend most weekends in the South Lakes.
2017-7-15
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans99fba624 Posted at 2017-7-15 04:19

Cheshire, but we spend most weekends in the South Lakes.
2017-7-15
Use props
fans99fba624
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I tried the active track on the way home ....at Gisburn forrest  that was okay mountain biking  check my channel on you tube    bigrog1551     
and the bugger tried to attack me lol
2017-7-15
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Sounds like a beautiful place.   I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures and/or video of this place.
2017-7-15
Use props
fans99fba624
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Heres some pics
20170712_182716.jpg
20170712_182621.jpg
20170712_182505.jpg
2017-7-15
Use props
Jimmers