A2 FC with Spektrum
7494 24 2015-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
airport
lvl.1

Australia

upgrading from a Hexa to the DJI S1000+ with A2 FC, I have read the A2 user manual and still a little un-clear, I still want to use a Spektrum radio and do I have to buy a DJI DBus and use a spectrum receiver, 1 option I didn't want to take is buy a Fataba radio.
2015-3-20
Use props
observereb
lvl.1

United States

You need 2ea of the Spektrum or JR satellite receivers that are then plugged into the A2 main controller.  

You'll need to link (bind) the receivers per the A2 manual, and program as normal.  
2015-4-5
Use props
airport
lvl.1

Australia

observereb@gmai Posted at 2015-4-6 10:12
You need 2ea of the Spektrum or JR satellite receivers that are then plugged into the A2 main contro ...

thanks, the A2 manual tells me to us DSM2 satellites but a few guys have used the DSMX satellites, will it really make the difference
Nobody can actually tell me if they are ok to use or not
2015-4-13
Use props
airport
lvl.1

Australia

airport Posted at 2015-4-14 10:47
thanks, the A2 manual tells me to us DSM2 satellites but a few guys have used the DSMX satellites, ...

I answered my own question by trying the DSMX satellites and the A2 FC will not bind, I found two DSM2 satellites laying around and tried them...  and guess what...  it bind straight away will no probs.
2015-4-19
Use props
ggoodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had bad luck using a JR 9503 and JR DSM2 sats. The craft would randomly and violently jerk fore and aft but never caused a crash. I switched to a 14sg and its now smooth as glass.

Best of luck
2015-4-20
Use props
airport
lvl.1

Australia

ggoodlett@aol.c Posted at 2015-4-21 10:58
I had bad luck using a JR 9503 and JR DSM2 sats. The craft would randomly and violently jerk fore an ...

Mmmm  good thinking,  everyone is telling me to go to Fataba radio
2015-4-25
Use props
airport
lvl.1

Australia

Now I have one problem maybe with the DMS2 Satellite receivers, and having to rebind every time I plug in the battery  and fire up the A2,  does anyone know why and if anyone has had the same problem,  seems a few people are convincing me to go to Fataba and it would solve all the problems
2015-4-25
Use props
ggoodlett
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Believe me, I didn't want to get a Futaba but I just could not make the JR stuff work right. I never owned a Futaba and knew nothing about them. To save money I ordered the 14sg from RCJapan.net to save about $100. However it took me a good two hours to get the dam thing from Japanese to English. The manual is in English so that was good but it took me a good three days of reading and fiddling to get comfortable with the programming and get the S1000/A2 set up with all the channels I wanted.

Also I ordered the HSP00501 Gimbal center set from futabasupport@hobbico.com to make the throttle stick spring to center. I was initially afraid of this as I come from the 3D helicopter world which makes it awkward. However it feels natural on the S1000 and quite comfortable.

Best of luck with whichever direction you go.

PS- I have no idea about the binding issue you are having. Never even heard of such behavior.
2015-4-25
Use props
observereb
lvl.1

United States

I have setup numerous A2 systems with JR equipment, both DSM2 and DSMX satellites.   Occasionally it does take a couple of tries to get them bound, I've even gone so far as to bind them to the radio using a JR receiver then plugging them into the A2.

Depending on your transmitter, you may also have to tell IT what satellites you're using.....  X or 2....

Not sure how a JR radio would cause a back and forth and be cured by using a Futaba unless the problem is in the radio (transmitter) and NOT the A2...
2015-4-26
Use props
airport
lvl.1

Australia

observereb@gmai Posted at 2015-4-27 10:58
I have setup numerous A2 systems with JR equipment, both DSM2 and DSMX satellites.   Occasionally it ...

Radio is Spektrum and it is set to DSM2 along with the satellites,  at times it does not need binding  then other times it does,  seems this is not the only problem I have with the A2,  I get first level voltage warning (continuous yellow flashing ) but the battery is fully charged,  been into the A2 program and the first level is set at 22 Volt  
2015-4-28
Use props
observereb
lvl.1

United States

I assume that you're using a 6s pack?   

You can, and should, set the first level protection at the voltage that YOU want the alarm to signal you.   For instance you can tell it to signal at 21 volts, 19.6, whatever YOU deem appropriate.

Same with the second level protection.

Personally, I turn the system off and time my flights based on the experience of timing my flights and recharging the batteries to see how long I can safely fly.
2015-4-29
Use props
airport
lvl.1

Australia

observereb@gmai Posted at 2015-4-30 10:04
I assume that you're using a 6s pack?   

You can, and should, set the first level protection at the ...

yes I'm using 6S but I found even turning off the voltage warning I still get the LED to flash yellow about 20 times in blocks
2015-4-30
Use props
ggoodlett
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

observereb@gmai Posted at 2015-4-27 10:58
I have setup numerous A2 systems with JR equipment, both DSM2 and DSMX satellites.   Occasionally it ...

"Not sure how a JR radio would cause a back and forth and be cured by using a Futaba unless the problem is in the radio (transmitter) and NOT the A2..."

I don't know either, I wish I did. Maybe a bad sat, static, I don't know. I still use the JR transmitter to fly my mini racers.
2015-4-30
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Get s futaba radio, night and day difference...  When I used my spektrum dx9 with naza, light bridge, or even eagle tree vector when I would be in the radio tab all the sliders for the sticks and knobs always fluctuated, they would jitter, some worse than others. It did this with 3 different products.  Well I needed more channels so I bought a futaba 14sg and set it up on everything and guess what? All the sliders sat perfectly still.. No jitter at all..  After seeing that I was sold! So many small issues I was having was solved with the futaba radio..  Also I've found out that all these designers use futaba radios, all these systems been designed around futaba..  Immersion rc, dji, and few others..  Watch their you tube help videos you will see they all have futaba radios..  Immersionrc even says in the manuals the designers own futaba and highly recommend using futaba..  

Futaba is a finely tuned radio and well worth every penny..  I've only found 1 small issue with futaba and that is they use 6 volt nimh and 6.6 volt life batteries instead of a 3 cell 12.6 volt lipo battery. If it used a 3 cell certain things like the uhf transmitters could be powered off the trainer port instead of a dedicated battery but it's not a deal breaker..  People successfully do run 3 cells in the futaba radios though so I guess even though it's not officially supported by futaba it can be done.. Other than that it's perfect..  People have used a 6 volt to 12 volt step up regulator too and things work fine too..  So definitely not a deal breaker since it's perfect in every other way..
2015-6-23
Use props
gusscott1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5160745 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I only have 8 channels with using A2 as a receiver I bought the 14SG but how do I get more than 8 channels?
2016-10-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

gusscott1@me.co Posted at 2016-10-15 01:02
I only have 8 channels with using A2 as a receiver I bought the 14SG but how do I get more than 8 ch ...

Is your Futaba set to receive 8 channels on its interface, or is it set to receive 12 or 14?
2016-10-14
Use props
doghunter
lvl.4

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-10-15 08:47
Is your Futaba set to receive 8 channels on its interface, or is it set to receive 12 or 14?

When using a Futaba 14SG with A2 FC the transmitter requires to be set to FASST 12 Ch.

Use the CANbus (S-bus) to expand the A2 receiver channels. The A2 manual explains the settings.

You will not regret dumping the Spectrum - it has caused many models to crash (rebind during flight, poor reliability with other 2.4 signals nearby). I think that dji chose wisely to use the Futaba as an alternate controller because it is a very reliable link.

* Doghunter *  
2016-10-15
Use props
GVDubrovskiy
New

United States

Hi! I have problems with adjusting settings of my Spektrum DX8 (Generation 1) for using with A2 control system (the frame is S900).
Could you please post screens of your settings? (which channel is mapped where?)

The A2 recognizes as different channels movements of throttle stick more than 0 and less than 0 (I mean, if the throttle stick more than 0 - it is recognized as Channel 1, if the throttle stick less than 0, then it is recognized as Channel 2). Settings of DX8 look resonable: in Servo Setup throttle is represented as one Channel (below and above 0 level). The same problem with other sticks (for roll, pitch, ..)

Thank you for your time!
2017-2-21
Use props
fansc9605f6e
New

Mexico

airport Posted at 2015-4-19 01:20
I answered my own question by trying the DSMX satellites and the A2 FC will not bind, I found two DSM2 satellites laying around and tried them...  and guess what...  it bind straight away will no probs.

I have problems to calibrate my Spektrum radio with my A2 controller, nor detect aleron and elevator .....
2017-4-20
Use props
fansc9605f6e
New

Mexico

I have problems to calibrate my Spektrum radio with my A2 controller, nor detect aleron and elevator .....
http://aeromodrc83@gmail.com
2017-4-20
Use props
PeterFDJI3
lvl.2
United States

That's the model # 9645 Spektrum satellites, correct?   That is what I use.
2017-5-17
Use props
Copafield
lvl.1

Australia

Wondering if anybody could confirm what DSM2/X satellite receivers I should hook up to my A2 (connected to an s1000 with L2) to use with a spektrum  DX9 (DX18 is also availabe if dx9 isn't enough but, i would be using a dji controller for the L2 connection). The stuff people are mentioning don't seem to be available. I'm in Australia. Just before posting this I remembered a mate that uses spektrum so going to borrow a couple off him and see how that goes.
2017-6-24
Use props
ticedoff8
lvl.2

United States

This is a very, very old thread, but I hate searching for an answer to a problem and finding threads like this that just die without any resolution.
So...
The DJI A2 support for Spektrum sucks.
It does not fully support the DSM2 protocol. And, while it will work binded with DSMX sats, the manual is clear that you should not do this.
The guide to set a Spektrum transmitter into DSM2 mode is in the A2_User_Manual_V1.26_en.pdf (the last one published and was still on the DJI web site), Sec 1.1.3, Receiver Section option B (DSM2 Satellite Receivers - page 9).

I used a Spektrum iX12 (12 channels) and 2 DSMX / DSM2 SPM9745 (Spektrum RC DSMX Remote Satellite Receiver) and I forced the iX12 into (basically) DSM2 mode before I binded the transmitter to the receivers.
Any "modern" DSMX / DSM2 serial remote receiver with the 3-wire (3.3v) interface that plugs into the A2's DSM2 ports will work.
The receivers that use SRXL / SRXL2 will not plug in and won't work at all.

In the end, I could only get 9 channels to activate in the A2's Assistant app looking at the channel mapping. And the 9 channels that activated were not in order (1 to 9) but more like 1-7, 10 & 12.
I tried 22mS, 11mS and DX18 compatibility Mode - nothing helped, and it was always only 9 channels.

At this point (2022/11/8), I haven't flown the A2 on my F550 drone. I am disappointed that the A2 won't support more than 9 channels.
In a nutshell, if you can live with 9 channels, then you are good with the Spektrum setup.

But, to compensate, I bought a Radiomaster TX16S Mark II with the 4-in-1 card and a R-XSR Tiny 16 channel S-Bus receiver.  I'll switch to S-Bus on the A2 and see how that works out.
2022-11-8
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

ticedoff8 Posted at 11-8 17:16
This is a very, very old thread, but I hate searching for an answer to a problem and finding threads like this that just die without any resolution.
So...
The DJI A2 support for Spektrum sucks.

I don't understand your problem. What do you want to do with more than 9 channels? THR, Pitch, Roll, Yaw, RTH, IOC, CTRL, Gimbal Pan, Gimbal Tilt, AUX (parachute, Gimbal 3rd axis...) I have been using this configuration on an S1000 for 7 years, there is nothing say.
2022-11-8
Use props
ticedoff8
lvl.2

United States

I don't understand your problem. What do you want to do with more than 9 channels? THR, Pitch, Roll, Yaw, RTH, IOC, CTRL, Gimbal Pan, Gimbal Tilt, AUX (parachute, Gimbal 3rd axis...) I have been using this configuration on an S1000 for 7 years, there is nothing say.

To help you better understand what "My Problem" is (as should be yours too), it's that (as far as I can tell), DJI's implementation of DSM2 has a bug and they never fixed it.  And, it's affecting how I want to use the A2.

2022-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules