Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FOG worry
2162 14 2017-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

Hello,

(JUL-15) i flew my mavic in san francisco in Suutro Bath (2pm), there was a fog in there and flew it... maybe after 3 minutes of flight (i flew it back coz i dont see the mavic any more) i see condensation in the rear legs of the mavic... i observe all angles of my mavic if there is more condesation, if there is in the battery, battery compartment, gimbal, lense - but i dont see it... then after 2/3 hrs (4-5pm)  i flew again in ocean beach.. everything is good, crtl is responsive as normal, views in my phone to see the beach up high is beautifull and perfect. when i went home i clean my mavic brush and wiped with moist towell to restore to my bag... Today (JUL-16) i went in to fly to test out, up, down, left, right, rotate left, rotate right, sport activate, ctrl is responsive, everything was perfect... being lil paranoid and being wanted everything perfect - do i need to worry about it might wet  wires inside (that i couldnt see), might affect the condensation inside that i dont see i the future.. should i be worry? thanks in advance team.
2017-7-16
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I would worry about flying in clouds, in fog u r probably ok.. certainly always do checking after you do something like this.. and certainly do not overdo it.. be aware of things.. but it really does seem like you did not get enough condensation to have an issue.... great!
2017-7-16
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-16 21:02
I would worry about flying in clouds, in fog u r probably ok.. certainly always do checking after you do something like this.. and certainly do not overdo it.. be aware of things.. but it really does seem like you did not get enough condensation to have an issue.... great!

Thank you, i will test fly it again this coming week if there was any weird or NOT normal instances, thank you for the reply.
2017-7-16
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Hopefully more pple who fly in "wettish" conditions can share their experiences.. ;)
2017-7-17
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-17 13:26
Hopefully more pple who fly in "wettish" conditions can share their experiences.. ;)

Hah. I know. But mine was lil moist like literally mist on my rear leg. Thanks
2017-7-17
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just remember that your mavic draws air in through the front internally, and uses it to cool the electronics,  fog carries as much water droplets as cloud almost,  so those water droplets will have been through the middle of your craft also,  with out doubt its best NOT to fly in fog, mist rain or clouds if you can help it,  as its easy to wipe off the exterior of a mavic but a whole lot harder to wipe off the electronics,   if you do find yourself flying through fog, mist or cloud,  certainly do not put your mavic back in any closed bag,  leave it unfolded and out in the open,   battery out and gimbal covers off as a minimum.
2017-7-17
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

The condensation depends on more parameters, I guess the heat from internal parts is what protects you a bit - as the components are very hot when in operation, it prevents water condensation on the surface.

Anyway, you shouldn't fly under these circumstances (also near or inside clouds etc, since it is not legal).
Take care.
2017-7-18
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-7-17 14:41
Just remember that your mavic draws air in through the front internally, and uses it to cool the electronics,  fog carries as much water droplets as cloud almost,  so those water droplets will have been through the middle of your craft also,  with out doubt its best NOT to fly in fog, mist rain or clouds if you can help it,  as its easy to wipe off the exterior of a mavic but a whole lot harder to wipe off the electronics,   if you do find yourself flying through fog, mist or cloud,  certainly do not put your mavic back in any closed bag,  leave it unfolded and out in the open,   battery out and gimbal covers off as a minimum.

yes thank you i did those after that one time i flew in fog in sutro bath.
everything work fine after that flight. then i tested out next day, everything looks fine.. just wanted to know if that water will go inside and effect the drone..
2017-7-19
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

Willik Posted at 2017-7-18 00:08
The condensation depends on more parameters, I guess the heat from internal parts is what protects you a bit - as the components are very hot when in operation, it prevents water condensation on the surface.

Anyway, you shouldn't fly under these circumstances (also near or inside clouds etc, since it is not legal).

yes this is the first time and will not do it again on the fact had my drone lil mist on over the rear legs. only my concern if mist or water went inside and if it y=would effect my drone performance. but after 2 flight i think its still ok.. but wanted to hear from the forum.... Bay Area temp is not in icy condition, in fact it was 65F that day in SF, and 88f in land...
2017-7-19
Use props
wojdop
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564469 ft
Spain

When I was filming the video linked below my Mavic had to deal with dense fog. I emptied 3 batteries in those conditions, the bird was coming back all wet (especially the arms just below the props). Once on the video pointing gimbal straight down I could even see some drops falling.
I was a bit worry about it of course. I dried it after the work and then put small paper bags with rice into the Mavic bag.
Nothing happened and drone works perfect as before.

2017-7-19
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

wojdop Posted at 2017-7-19 14:18
When I was filming the video linked below my Mavic had to deal with dense fog. I emptied 3 batteries in those conditions, the bird was coming back all wet (especially the arms just below the props). Once on the video pointing gimbal straight down I could even see some drops falling.
I was a bit worry about it of course. I dried it after the work and then put small paper bags with rice into the Mavic bag.
Nothing happened and drone works perfect as before.

omy, thats a great film!
thanks for sharing!

any way. i only did maybe like 3 minutes of flight. yea the only moist part is the rear legs on top.. weird why that is the only moist / drizzled..
2017-7-19
Use props
wojdop
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564469 ft
Spain

Propellers create high pressure and that's  why the fog condensates on the arms below them.
2017-7-20
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Willik Posted at 2017-7-18 00:08

Correct,  Unless you encounter a lot of rain, the warm (hot) electronics will probably evaporate most of it.  You should, however, be concerned about moisture in the connectors, which themselves will not be as warm.  Over time they may oxidize and cause some problems.  

If you do this again,  place your Mavic in a bag of rice for a couple of days to absorb any remaining moisture.
2017-7-20
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Not a "reference" type video, but interesting...:

2017-7-20
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

yes most machines will or can fly in rain etc,  however its long term effects will not be seen in the short term ( unless it shorts there and then),  corrosion takes time over conditions,  the more you submit a craft to this the higher chance of failure later.
2017-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules