Is the spark reliable? Recall coming soon?
1881 14 2017-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Efrommel13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73606 ft
Puerto Rico

Im looking to buy the spark but i started seeing a lot of sparks droping from the sky for no aparent reason and DJI is not taking good care of replacements looks like, not sure why because this doesnt look like user error.  I want to buy the flymore combo just kinda of scared about all this.
2017-7-16
Use props
rickysuperdog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

Most of the issues are pilot issues. But I got three problem DJI cannot explain and no cue how to fix:

1) Take photos quickly or video record would cause the signal interrupted.
2) Spark power cut itself during hovering on the air and dropped on the ground.
3) Compass always got error and GPS always no signal suddenly during flight.
2017-7-16
Use props
Aerial Ant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1249715 ft
United States

Hi, I'm not sure about alot of sparks dropping out of the sky but when someone posts to the forum with that subject it really stands out. Yes there are quite a number of bugs to work out as with any new tech that is released like a PS, xbox or etc. But there are alot of pilot errors that many won't admit to even after the fact. Don't let any of that discourage you because we all took a leap of faith in buying a drone. It takes time to work out the kinks just keep that in mind.
2017-7-18
Use props
pingywon13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63724 ft
United States

I have about 40 flights and over 35,000 feet with my Spark and while it has some short comings that will be addressed (Dronie mode not gaining elevation, etc) I have never had any fly away/ drop out the sky type of situation. Nor am I afraid of this.

I dont know the root cause of these issues, but good pilot sense along with common sense and you should be good to go!
2017-7-18
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

pingywon13 Posted at 2017-7-18 07:13
I have about 40 flights and over 35,000 feet with my Spark and while it has some short comings that will be addressed (Dronie mode not gaining elevation, etc) I have never had any fly away/ drop out the sky type of situation. Nor am I afraid of this.

I dont know the root cause of these issues, but good pilot sense along with common sense and you should be good to go!

Agreed 100%, some small issues but reading these forums you have to remember this is where people come to complain. There are likely many users out there that haven't experienced any issues.
2017-7-18
Use props
pingywon13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63724 ft
United States

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-18 07:36
Agreed 100%, some small issues but reading these forums you have to remember this is where people come to complain. There are likely many users out there that haven't experienced any issues.

I think the Spark suffers from this type of talk just about more than any other drone or DJI product because of the price point (cheap) and the fact that it is marketed as an entry level product for people who have never "droned" before.
2017-7-18
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I also was on the pilot error bandwagon but we should agree the Spark isn't up to our expectations of DJI quality.  The 3 issues above are bad enough for people buying at a chain store to just bring it back unhappy and write bad reviews. The gesture mode was released and is not working other than the follow your palm and land in it. The wave is a pain and never got it to come back with the Y..I'll use the remote, thank you. Having a single IMU is telling me that its not going to be as accurate and fault tolerant anything since the P3 but it's flies and still fun
2017-7-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also have a bit of flight time with no errors so far.  As with anything made by man, there will be some rotten eggs.  What bothers me more is that DJI needs to get better at customer service.  It's improved, but there's still along way to go.  Also, there are several of these threads up and down these forums. New threads about this need to be condensed.  It's becoming hard to look for useful information regarding the drone.  
2017-7-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don't think there will be a recall, when Mavic was introduced there were just as many problems camera, sticky left stick, power drops faulty batteries, the Mavic forum was awash with complaints and it went on for several months, but many more people had Mavics working fine than not, several firmware later and not so many complaints with Mavic.
I see a similar pattern here, and while most are happy or are waiting patiently for upgrade in firmware, some have issues.

I would buy now the likelihood is yours will be ok, and remember Mavic is only 8 months old it has already had 8 firmware upgrades.
2017-7-18
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

I have 47 flights at 9858 meters(32342 feet) of flying and the only issue i have had was the dronie quick shot not gaining altitude. although i would like this to get resolved it isn't a critical issue. I have a lot of trust in this thing so far. Keep in mind that i am not an experienced pilot so my word may mean nothing to you.
2017-7-18
Use props
hfog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34583 ft
United States

To those of you who are thinking the flaws are all pilot error and those making the complaints are somehow "bad eggs":
I might have thought the same thing but I can assure you that when my drone lost power and dropped from >100m up, pilot error had nothing to do with it. This issue is definitely a real problem and there are enough similar reports out there that it simply can't be put down to bad luck or pilot error.
That said, would I panic? No. There are enough people out there who are not experiencing any issues that I wouldn't worry too much about it. But I would be careful not to fly over water or high over hard surfaces for a while; at least until the next firmware update comes out.
2017-7-18
Use props
Advan031
lvl.2
Flight distance : 161663 ft
United States

32 flights and about 27k ft distance and so far my only issue is crappy video signal past 400 meters on WIFI (OTG cable solves that).

Stories of the spark dropping from the sky is unsettling for sure.  
2017-7-18
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

cwe0002 Posted at 2017-7-18 07:36

Exactly! Most forums are like that, be it drones or sewing machines, people come to the forum to complain or to ask for help with a problem.
2017-7-18
Use props
NewGramps
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115112 ft
Malaysia

44 Total Flights
44,001 Total Distance
5 Hours 12 Mins Total Flight Time
0 Total Issues (except for pilot error -- proving the Spark to be robustly constructed -- and somewhat flaky gesture control; which I only use to impress the occasional observer)
I mainly fly using the remote + iPhone.
2017-7-18
Use props
NewGramps
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115112 ft
Malaysia

NewGramps Posted at 2017-7-18 19:30
44 Total Flights
44,001 Total Distance
5 Hours 12 Mins Total Flight Time

Should add that the Spark performs much better than this forum's operating software IMHO ...
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules