Launch pad from the grass vs concrete?
5616 21 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

After reading all of the compass error horror stories, I have been paralyzed and afraid to fly until I get my Statefarm PAP policy... What type of take-off surface do you use on a regular basis?
Single SelectVote, Total 43 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

25.58% (11)
18.60% (8)
55.81% (24)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-7-17
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

I do it from my wooden deck but there are metal railings and chairs all around it.
2017-7-17
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

If its grass or sand ill throw a beach towel down and use that.  If its uneven i'll hand launch.

The mavic sits REALLY low to the ground and most concrete contains rebar or wiring ducts so is very prone to interference.  I also dont want the fragile camera or vents sucking up dust and dirt.
2017-7-17
Use props
BeefStew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79875 ft
United States

i like to take my wife droning with me and insist on only taking off with her on hands and knees using her back as a launchpad.

jk - concrete if its clean, if not i carry a fold out launchpad.
2017-7-17
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a launch pad. Not only does it provide a clean surface, the white H on an orange background gives precision RTH a distinct target.
2017-7-17
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Strangely, I use both my car and the tractor ion-roof when I fly and land without any problems.

Concrete, is there rarely iron in here when it is on the ground as tiles.

How a Launch Pad should prevent magnetism from affecting my drone is a mystery to me. Maybe I've forgotten some of my children's lessons from physics ???   

Regards Leif.

2017-7-17
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I fly from mountains so I use whatever surface is available. Grass, dirt, rock, etc.  If it's really bad, I hand launch.  I don't think it makes much difference but if you hand launch you want to practice until it's a second nature.
2017-7-17
Use props
noob
lvl.2

Singapore

BeefStew Posted at 2017-7-17 16:00
i like to take my wife droning with me and insist on only taking off with her on hands and knees using her back as a launchpad.

jk - concrete if its clean, if not i carry a fold out launchpad.

That's brilliant!  Now, why didn't I think of that?

Let's see if I can convince the wife to stay in position throughout the flight so that the Mavic don't get confused about where to land when RTH.
2017-7-17
Use props
Tripp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

Concrete is fine as long as it doesn't have a lot of steel in it.  When I launch where I think there might be magnetic interference from steel I use a box or chair to raise the air craft.  I haven't had a problem landing on an  area with a lot of steel.
2017-7-17
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-7-17 16:55
Strangely, I use both my car and the tractor ion-roof when I fly and land without any problems.

How a Launch Pad should prevent magnetism from affecting my drone is a mystery to me. Maybe I've forgotten some of my children's lessons from physics ???

I'm guessing that the reference was to something like this, in which case the explanation is very simple: the pad allows takeoff to occur over (for example) a grassy area well away from the steel that might be embedded in concrete.
2017-7-18
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

Tripp Posted at 2017-7-17 19:43
Concrete is fine as long as it doesn't have a lot of steel in it.  When I launch where I think there might be magnetic interference from steel I use a box or chair to raise the air craft.  I haven't had a problem landing on an  area with a lot of steel.

Now I think you will make it toooo complicated as grass grows on steel and tiles is very rarely. Will refer to the thread-starters own question/word.   

Regards Leif.
2017-7-18
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140413 ft
United States

1" thick form pad with a T for good RTH reference. Nice area and clean and works well for any surface area.
2017-7-18
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-17 16:23
I use a launch pad. Not only does it provide a clean surface, the white H on an orange background gives precision RTH a distinct target.

I'm going to have to get one
2017-7-18
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-7-17 16:55

I should have been clearer.. Launch pad would be from grass/dirt etc.  anything other than concrete
2017-7-18
Use props
Ackermodul95
lvl.2
Germany

I only take off from where it is clean an stable, too afraid of handlaunching either.
2017-7-18
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Denmark

STRIDE8 Posted at 2017-7-18 06:41
I should have been clearer.. Launch pad would be from grass/dirt etc.  anything other than concrete

Yes, okay.   

Regards Leif.
2017-7-18
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Stay away from concrete, metal, Clear your body from keys, phone, metal wallet etc...
2017-7-18
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

For me, the reason to stay away from the concrete is that it's too hot in the summer.  My IR thermometer can easily register 135(F) on a normal sunny day in Houston.  The Mavic gets very, very unhappy when it overheats.

For takeoff/landing I use a fordable windshield reflector with an old Astros logo on  that works as well as an H for precision landing.  It's held to the ground by two sand filled paper weights.
2017-7-18
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Don't get paranoid I started from many different surfaces from rocks, roads, fields... I prefer landing pad because it protects my drone from dust (which clogs gimble and goes in motors) and in some really bad conditions (puddles) I hand launch.
Have fun flying
2017-7-18
Use props
danielwilkie29
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I always try and take off from concrete as its easier
2017-7-19
Use props
LTS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41155 ft
United States

I have an old all-weather rubber car mat that I have re-purposed.  It's heavy enough to knock down anything over it and is easy to clean off whenever I need to.
2017-7-19
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-7-18 22:30
Don't get paranoid  I started from many different surfaces from rocks, roads, fields... I prefer landing pad because it protects my drone from dust (which clogs gimble and goes in motors) and in some really bad conditions (puddles) I hand launch.
Have fun flying

^ This.

I've been taking off/landing from rock/concrete/dirt/snow/car/deck/grass... without any issues.
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules