Prop Guards
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LOTO
lvl.1
United States

Newbie here and just took my first flight yesterday and have a couple of questions about prop guards for my DJI 3 Standard and thanks in advance for any input.

1.) After install, the prop guards have kind of a quick release for removing the guards and the base/attachment stays connected....this quick release fits snug but does not fully lock in and has anyone had a prop guard fall off during flight?

2.) If a prop guard falls off during flight does it throw the DJI out of balance and will the DJI crash?

3.) There are short pieces of string included with the prop guards and I am assuming that these pieces of string are for connecting the prop guards to the DJI so that of it does fall off the prop guard isn't lost. If the guard falls off and is attached by string to the DJI can the prop guard or string become entangled somehow with the DJI?

Again, thanks in advance for input.   

2017-7-18
Use props
LOTO
lvl.1
United States

I did a search and found out what the string is for but would appreciate any information on how it would effect the stability of a flight if a prop guard were to fall off in flight?
2017-7-18
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Should be fine if a prop guard falls off during flight. Unless it takes out a propellor though.

Beware that prop guards will increase wind drag too.
2017-7-18
Use props
LOTO
lvl.1
United States

dancopter Posted at 2017-7-18 08:51
Should be fine if a prop guard falls off during flight. Unless it takes out a propellor though.

Beware that prop guards will increase wind drag too.

I went ahead and installed the prop guards and these are the quick detach so they can easily be removed. After  I get more flight time under my belt I might take them off but I am practicing around my house for now and we live on 30 acres of heavily wooded, rolling hills so lots of obstacles
2017-7-18
Use props
LOTO
lvl.1
United States

LOTO Posted at 2017-7-18 10:44
I went ahead and installed the prop guards and these are the quick detach so they can easily be removed. After  I get more flight time under my belt I might take them off but I am practicing around my house for now and we live on 30 acres of heavily wooded, rolling hills so lots of obstacles

Took a short flight with the prop guards installed and wind was blowing maybe 5mph and there is definitely a difference in handling with the prop guards on my DJI 3 S...I did feel a bit more comfortable when landing and prop guards have their places but don't believe that they will be a full time accessory for me.
Butterflies are quite as active in my stomach now and tried a few maneuvers on the back side of my house when I could not see my drone and it is a bit strange navigating by the camera only.
2017-7-18
Use props
fansffe0b63e
lvl.2

United States

I have Prop Guards attached to my Phantom 3 Pro.( Did not attach the strings ) I use different colors on the front and back and it help me to know the direction  the Quad copter is facing in the air and landing back on the ground.

I think an advantage is if  the Quad copter tilts over on take off because the downward drift of the Air, the Blades will not strike the ground saved by the props-
2017-7-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Most experienced pilots don't use prop guards for a number of reasons.  
2017-7-18
Use props
LOTO
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-18 15:02
The string is to create a perimeter all the way around the props for more complete protection.  Many people omit the string.  I'm personally not a prop guard fan.  They increase weight, reduce flight time, make the dr0ne more susceptible to wind, & they show up in your video too much.

I took several longer flights with the prop guards on and flight time/battery life is under 20 minutes with guards on.
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The string you mentioned above is for preventing objects from entering spaces between guards.
Here is the tutorial for installing propeller guards:
Please make sure the screws are all mounted steadily.
2017-7-18
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used them in the past and the only difference that you will find is more protection.
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules