Disable Return To Home
7421 14 2017-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magius
lvl.1
Singapore

I know this must've been asked many times but am unable to find related posts... can I disable RTH if signal is lost?

2017-7-18
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Why do you want to do that? don't you want your drone coming back to you?
2017-7-18
Use props
Aerial Ant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1249715 ft
United States

Yes! Why don't you want your drone returning home? Because if your signal is lost it could be for too long like say your r/c broken or phone dead. Besides most of the time signal lost is temporary. My phantom does give the option to hover, land or RTH if that does occur. I chose RTH because I can always cancel when drone gets near. Any other option IMO is asking for trouble. To answer your question I don't recall seeing that option for the spark.
2017-7-19
Use props
Magius
lvl.1
Singapore

dronist Posted at 2017-7-18 17:53
Why do you want to do that? don't you want your drone coming back to you?

Wanted to test something out. It seemed like in city area, due to the crazy WIFI, drone acts crazy. Return to home won't work properly too it seems. I had a crazy crash, so thinking that RTH might be the cause of it.
2017-7-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Magius Posted at 2017-7-20 03:01
Wanted to test something out. It seemed like in city area, due to the crazy WIFI, drone acts crazy. Return to home won't work properly too it seems. I had a crazy crash, so thinking that RTH might be the cause of it.

Anyhow you should not fly in cities not only because the wifi mess but for safety reasons. You really need open spaces man!

Good luck!

2017-7-20
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I still don't understand why dji don't give the option for the spark to hover and land in case of failsafe like on all the others drones?!?
2017-7-20
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

In a city like in between buildings? You recommended to fly 50m away from buildings and people so probably not a bright idea. Can you try it in a park where you get more free space?
2017-7-20
Use props
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

I made the mistake this week of taking off and then walking back up a hill heading to where my car was parked using the RC to fly the Spark. Battery became low as I was landing near my car and the Spark said "battery low-returning to home." The drone took off and went back to where we started. I had to run back to the spot we began

I learned a good lesson
2017-7-20
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

nucmanchh Posted at 2017-7-20 07:34
I made the mistake this week of taking off and then walking back up a hill heading to where my car was parked using the RC to fly the Spark. Battery became low as I was landing near my car and the Spark said "battery low-returning to home." The drone took off and went back to where we started. I had to run back to the spot we began

I learned a good lesson

This is the reason why dji need to activate the hover and land option for the spark!
Also they have to implement a dynamic Homepoint which refresh itsel every second. The active track is useless without this option!
2017-7-20
Use props
Mark Rowan
lvl.1
United States

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-20 07:09
I still don't understand why dji don't give the option for the spark to hover and land in case of failsafe like on all the others drones?!?

I had my Spark set on active track mode while I rode my bike around my neighborhood and when the battery was down to 10% it warned me that it was going into RTO mode, I tried to make it land right there but I didn't react fast enough to abort the RTO, lucky that I was not that far from my driveway where "RTO/home" was located. The Spark was landing as I caught up to it. This is a good example of when you may not want the drone returning home but hoovering or landing near you instead. I thought that I had time to react if this happened but was incorrect.
If I was farther away I don't think the spark would have made it home safely.
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

the spark does need more safe fall backs..  i dont think disabling RTH is ideal.. but i think dynamic home point, or intelligently picking RTH or return to person based on what is closest.  i remember one time my spark reset its RTH point out on its current location, how does that even happen why does it... that just stupid...  why do you want to land on roof of a business?    but anyway i was landing her with 10% battery near me it went into RTH mode and tried to fly off again..was like no no...  i canceled it..  but yea, in certain situation having alternate failsafes would be ideal.

maybe even create "safe zones" in a map.. basically areas where if the drone is having major issues.. like it needs to land asap, its lost, etc... it can land/crash in safe zones you marked. or return to an area safely.     i also think that the spark should download some of the maps into the SD card and refer to them when it gets into a bind, that way if its completely disconnected from the RC/Phone and its lost it can try to figure the situation out its self out fly to a marked safe zone, or marked landing area or something... this should be a standard feature for all DJI drones...   just so it isnt forced to fly forever into the unknown, or hover or crash....  it can say hey i dont know where to go, got no signal, no beacon...  check the map and attempt to go to a safe zone to land or a marked area designed to recovery..  

we have a family farm, and on our family farm we have meetup points, about 10 of them.. incase something happens, one of us gets lost during a ride, or hurt or some other occurrence we can meet up and plan next move...  most of these meetup areas are wide open flat pitches of land 25 feet by 25 feet...having the Spark or any drone know this is an area it can land in if all fails...without connection to app or RC..  that would be great.  that way if it knows not enough juice in the battery to get home or other problems like its struggling to fight the wind or something it can find one of these zones and hand out there..
2017-7-26
Use props
roberteb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131417 ft
Nigeria

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-20 07:53
This is the reason why dji need to activate the hover and land option for the spark!
Also they have to implement a dynamic Homepoint which refresh itsel every second. The active track is useless without this option!

Assume Dynamic Homepoint already avilable... you can select your RC as homepoint
2017-7-26
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

roberteb Posted at 2017-7-26 09:07
Assume Dynamic Homepoint already avilable... you can select your RC as homepoint

A dynamic hp which refreshes itself every second (like I posted)
2017-7-26
Use props
roberteb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131417 ft
Nigeria

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-26 10:04
A dynamic hp which refreshes itself every second (like I posted)

Ah,now I understand.. Had the understanding was the case, but only update when you update... and refuse to update when RTH is activated.
2017-7-26
Use props
djiuser_JHt8SSqrEs6o
New

United States

Yeah the auto return to home is a joke..
I was flying for a family gathering getting a nice zoom out under some trees and suddenly at 25% battery it totally skipped the warning and gave me no option to cancel. The app actually completely crashed and the drone proceeded to try to fly up through the trees getting caught in the branches and lowering back down probably 6 or 7 times before failsafe killed the motors and it hit the concrete busting a motor and two props with absolutely NOTHING I could do.

They really REALLY need to implement something like a cancel RTH by pressing the RTH button on the RC or SOMETHING.. because that left me totally astonished and angry. I now can't get it insured due to their crappy software causing damage to the drone.

I will say the drone and rc are well built and very high quality but if your software has faults like this then I don't know if it's even worth the risk of flying it when it could suddenly decide to essentially self destruct.
2019-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules