New owner - what happens when GPS is lost or remote disconnects
707 7 2017-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI_ChrisW
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43379 ft
United Kingdom

I have had my Spark for around 2 weeks, and have experienced pretty pain free flying. I am keeping a careful eye on this forum and YouTube however as I'm aware that there are units out there that have fallen from the sky randomly, plus disconnection issues etc.
Flying over water isn't going to happen for me until many more months of 'building trust' are completed!

I've got some noob questions about what the Spark should theretically do under the following circumstances:

1) Spark loses GPS and doesn't recover it - what it should it do when power runs low? How will it find it's way home?

2) I'm flying it away and the RC disconnects? Does it keep going until it hits the failsafe RTH limit?

2017-7-19
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

1. It will switch to ATTI mode and you have to bring it back on your own

2. If RC disconnects it will trigger RTH 3 seconds after loss of connection. You can regain control during RTH

2017-7-19
Use props
NdFeB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85013 ft

I have a different question, flying on 2,4ghz doesn't show anything  on the screen, (no otg cable) if battery level drops to minimum will the spark RTH or just land where it is?
2017-7-19
Use props
cwe0002
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84117 ft
United States

When the battery drops to critical level it will initiate RTH. Note that if the Spark is within 20m/65' of the home point it will simply land wherever it is when RTH is initiated, it will not return to the actual home point so keep this in mind with trees and other obstacles.
2017-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

NdFeB Posted at 2017-7-19 05:19
I have a different question, flying on 2,4ghz doesn't show anything  on the screen, (no otg cable) if battery level drops to minimum will the spark RTH or just land where it is?

It will also land if it doesn't have enough battery to get home.
2017-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

If you loose gps your aircraft doesn't know where it is so cannot RTH , it will go into Atti mode, if it does best to raise AC higher to try pick up gps, other than that if you can fly it home or land in a safe place, atti can be tricky at first don't panic your AC will move on the wind it won't loose height, you will need to be positive with stick inputs, also use map triangle to get heading. If you manage it once then you should be fine. It won't happen often hopefully never.
2017-7-19
Use props
taimingkoh
lvl.2
Singapore

wow so if it goes into ATTI mode in the middle of the ocean, means Spark is doomed?
2017-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

taimingkoh Posted at 2017-7-19 06:09
wow so if it goes into ATTI mode in the middle of the ocean, means Spark is doomed?

No so long as you have VLOS , it will not loose altitude, but it takes a bit of flying usually plenty of wind out at sea. It would be very unusual to loose gps at sea.
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules